An Ode to Jeep and FCA NA - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By YnotAJeep
  • 2 Post By USStrongman
  • 1 Post By aldo90731
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-03-2018, 10:41 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
KllrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 122
An Ode to Jeep and FCA NA

Washing my Jeep and what do I see?
Flaking paint staring back at me.
A call to FCA NA and a few dealers,
All I get is conflicting information from these stealers.

Rusty hinges and sloppy paint,
A finely tuned machine this Jeep ain't.

Stored in a garage with low miles,
But still too late for the warranty files.

It makes you wonder just what you're paying for.
Thinking of a Jeep?
Better look some more.

I've owned cars from Honda and Lexus,
We even had a Saturn.
Never had problems like this,
With Jeep it's a pattern.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	4098297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	4098299  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0588.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	4098301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0589.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	4098303  

KllrDave is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
YnotAJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: La Verne, Calif.
Posts: 4,011
You got it wet. That's it,,, warranty is void.

__________________
2014 JKUR, Leather and everything inside, 4 inch OME springs, all Alpine arms, Adams front driveshaft, Falcon 2.1's, Adj track bars front and rear, heavy bumpers and winch, ICON rims and 315-70-17 BFG KO2's, ARB diff covers, ProComp LED's, 2 Bernese Mtn dogs.
Previously 2001 XJ lifted 5, SYE, True-tracks F & R.
CJ7, 304V8, auto, loaded, Detroit rear, and more.
90 Bronco,, 76 Bronco,, 70 Bronco
YnotAJeep is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Pierocksmysocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Sioux Falls
Posts: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotAJeep View Post
You got it wet. That's it,,, warranty is void.

With this year being one of the wettest years on record for my neck of the woods...it's been damned near impossible to avoid urban water crossings (10-24in of water flowing across the roads) anywhere in town. Consequently I now have a response to counter my SO's question of when would I ever use a snorkel on my Jeep. I can think of three instances in the past 3 months right off hand
__________________
2015 JKU | Sport S | Sunset Orange | 2" Mopar Lift w/Fox Shocks | MetalCloak Geo Brackets | AEM DryFlow Filter | 3.73 Gears | Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/70/17 Tires
Pierocksmysocks is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-03-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
Grumpy Old Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
USStrongman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lubbock & Cleveland, NM
Posts: 2,650
Where do you live?
If it is low miles...
Why is it not warrantied?
Asked the bat
With a spoon
__________________
2016 JKU Oscar Mike in Granite Crystal (RIP)
2017 JKU Winter Edition in Chief - AEV JKU Everything
USStrongman is offline   Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:58 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
KllrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by USStrongman View Post
Where do you live?
If it is low miles...
Why is it not warrantied?
Asked the bat
With a spoon
Low miles is relative

It's a 2013 with ~53k
KllrDave is offline   Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Grumpy Old Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
USStrongman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lubbock & Cleveland, NM
Posts: 2,650
You are right but what par t of the country do you live? If you are in So Cal, I see a problem. If you are in the NE, I truly believe communities of people who are suffering the same issues with any vehicle should class action sue your/city/county/state for their use of deicing chemicals, ie - salt.

There are alternatives out there that reduce corrosion dramatically.
Fungun and nwoods4141 like this.
__________________
2016 JKU Oscar Mike in Granite Crystal (RIP)
2017 JKU Winter Edition in Chief - AEV JKU Everything
USStrongman is offline   Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Swaustex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 1,065
You got the CJ/Wrangler hinge blues.
Been rusting through the paint since 1941.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------
2004 TJR (used) Jeep Club Events, putting around town
Build2014 JKUR (new) Overlanding/Long Range Build
1999 TJ Sport (new) Sold 2005 Stock and Awesome
1982 CJ-7 Renegade (used) Sold 2008 Mild build done all wrong
Swaustex is offline   Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
tsipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by USStrongman View Post
You are right but what par t of the country do you live? If you are in So Cal, I see a problem. If you are in the NE, I truly believe communities of people who are suffering the same issues with any vehicle should class action sue your/city/county/state for their use of deicing chemicals, ie - salt.

There are alternatives out there that reduce corrosion dramatically.
I'm sure alternative deicing chemicals would help but the salt they use is probably the cheapest crap available. For all the taxes we pay you'd think they can afford the better stuff. In either case, I think my Wrangler has a lower quality paint job than any other car I've had.
tsipa is offline   Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
JTPhoto JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Thunder Bay ON Canada
Posts: 5,129
Warranty replaced my hinges on my 2008 but I caught it before warranty was up. That was in 2012. They still look good Today.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Jeff _(OIIIO)_

2018 Rhino Rubicon 35s for now.

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited (GONE) My BRUTUS BUILD
JTPhoto JK is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:29 AM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
KllrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipa View Post
I'm sure alternative deicing chemicals would help but the salt they use is probably the cheapest crap available. For all the taxes we pay you'd think they can afford the better stuff. In either case, I think my Wrangler has a lower quality paint job than any other car I've had.
I'm in NJ and I agree that my Wrangler has the lowest quality paint job of any vehicle I've ever owned.

Between my wife and I we've had vehicles from Honda, Lexus, Toyota, Saturn, Jeep and Subaru. They've all been driven and kept in the NE and none had the problems I see with my Wrangler.
KllrDave is offline   Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #11
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 4,556
I seem to recall part of the issue with the hinges is the different metals used with no spacer / gasket between them. That causes corrosion from underneath the paint. I believe they started installing gaskets under the hinges to stop that.
Our Extreme Purple JKU is going on three years old and the paint is in pretty good condition, especially considering how and where we drive it. But historically Chrysler products have crap paint. I have seen many a Chrysler vehicle with the paint literally peeling off. The paint on ours is amazingly good considering who painted it.
I wish I could say the windshield is in good condition.....
GuzziMoto is online now   Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
aggrex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: DE
Posts: 1,291
Paint job might not be the best but the finish is subjected to trail rash and rough encounters with rocks or tree limbs or mud so keeping it washed+waxed is a good idea before comparing to other on-road vehicles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180321_084741_edit.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	4100555
aggrex is online now   Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:46 AM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
KllrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
I seem to recall part of the issue with the hinges is the different metals used with no spacer / gasket between them. That causes corrosion from underneath the paint. I believe they started installing gaskets under the hinges to stop that.
Our Extreme Purple JKU is going on three years old and the paint is in pretty good condition, especially considering how and where we drive it. But historically Chrysler products have crap paint. I have seen many a Chrysler vehicle with the paint literally peeling off. The paint on ours is amazingly good considering who painted it.
I wish I could say the windshield is in good condition.....
That might explain some of what I'm seeing on the door hinges, but it does not explain why the paint is beginning to flake off of the hood hinge.
KllrDave is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:49 AM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
KllrDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrex View Post
Paint job might not be the best but the finish is subjected to trail rash and rough encounters with rocks or tree limbs or mud so keeping it washed+waxed is a good idea before comparing to other on-road vehicles.

Attachment 4100555
It's a mall crawler. The closest it's ever come to off roading is driving on a snow covered gravel road in VT. The fenders have more road rash from schmucks in traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel toll plaza than anything nature has thrown at it.

I keep my Jeep so clean that the car guy next door with the 2 MGs, a Jeep, a Toyota and a Mini even comments on how good it looks for a 2013.

Heck, up until a few months ago the Google image of my house was a shot of me washing my Jeep.
KllrDave is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #15
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by USStrongman View Post
You are right but what par t of the country do you live? If you are in So Cal, I see a problem. If you are in the NE, I truly believe communities of people who are suffering the same issues with any vehicle should class action sue your/city/county/state for their use of deicing chemicals, ie - salt.

There are alternatives out there that reduce corrosion dramatically.
Not to mention the environmental impact of road salt! Absolutely horrible for the aquatic ecosystems...
__________________
Gypsy: '07 Wrangler X, stock 3.8L V6, 3.5" lift
nwoods4141 is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,069
Jeeps are fun, but their lack of quality and long term potential, was a factor in to being traded off. They’re better suited for the guys that beat them in the woods, and accept the damage, than the guy that takes them out of the garage once a month like a classic muscle car.
__________________
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Fungun is offline   Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #17
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
aldo90731's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bellingham, WA
Posts: 9,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungun View Post
Jeeps are fun, but their lack of quality and long term potential, was a factor in to being traded off. They’re better suited for the guys that beat them in the woods, and accept the damage, than the guy that takes them out of the garage once a month like a classic muscle car.
True that! But apparently FCA hasn’t heard, judging by the widening disconnect between price and quality!
Fungun likes this.

__________________

2018 JLU Sahara
Eight prior JKs and JKUs
aldo90731 is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepョ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.