Banks Power Stinger exhaust system - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
heelborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 32
Banks Power Stinger exhaust system

Anyone familiar with this system? Banks Power | 12-15 Jeep - 3.6L>>Stinger System, 3.6L

I'm seriously considering adding this to my rig in the next few weeks and would like input from others' experiences and knowledge.

I like the idea of using a single Mfg source for a totally complementary system, but am open to others thoughts on separate elements.

Thanks in advance.

heelborn is offline   Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Scott2373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,714
If you're going to wast-...er, I mean *spend* your money on this sort of thing, then this is the kit to get! Just don't expect a noticeable increase in power, even though you might think you have more because it sounds "cooler". I've used countless intake/exhaust kits/components and NONE of them produced useable results. In fact,I removed a K&N FIPK off my last Jeep after about 40,000 miles and gained almost 2 mpg. I was religious, bordering on anal, about maintaining the filter properly.

__________________
2013 Sport in Commando Green [Traded for 2015 F150]
3.73 Gears, A/C, 6-Speed
/_|o[___]o
[I---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)==)_)
MOLON LABE
Scott2373 is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:10 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
heelborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 32
Don't care about sound, other than avoiding drone. I'm a 43 yo exec with a wife & 3 sons, and don't need a vehicle exhaust system to make me "cooler".

Performance exhaust systems have been proven to provide increases in hp and mileage, with dyno & fuel tests... Heck, I started putting FMF Fattys on my MX bikes two decades ago (YZ250 & Banshee - now that I think of it, that Banshee did sound damned cool). Your position is that no performance improvements exist with intake or exhaust systems. That's an interesting opinion, and I appreciate you sharing it.

Anyone else have experience with this system or others?
heelborn is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-03-2015, 08:23 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
ohioviper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Chillicothe, Ohio
Posts: 3,193
Good luck getting any extra power out of the 3.6 with an exhaust and intake . It comes from the factory tuned to the max with manifolds built into the heads you can't run headers so yea put your money into a blower or your not going to get any improvements.
__________________
http://ohiojeepfest.com/

2015 JKU
2013 JK
2000 TJ
ohioviper is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
heelborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 32
Welp... That kinda sucks.

With the added weight for bumpers, winch, 35" tires and 18" wheels, I'm at about 14mpg. I was hoping for at least 10-12 more hp and some improvement in mileage.
heelborn is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
nobndry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lynchburg, VA/ Morgantown,WV
Posts: 1,273
I like this system on my 3.8L, many people will argue that they are useless. I have a video on youtube, you can find many of them, and a sound clip on my Instagram listed in my signature if you want to hear it. Also check this thread out for some more info:

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/ba...=1422977610439
__________________
2010 Wrangler 2dr Sport BLACK 6spd manual, 3.73 gears, 3" TF lift, 35"KM2

... See JKs do wave.

Jeep Instagram: @jeep.wrangler.jk
nobndry is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
heelborn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 32
nobndry,

THANKS A TON for sharing that thread... Great info. Appears that the Banks system shows solid HP increase on the Dyno.

The final poster on that thread experienced ~10% increase in mpg, which is excellent. How 'bout you?
heelborn is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,401
Only problem with the dyno results in that thread is that they only show from about 3000 rpm and up. I came across a dyno chart from one of the CAI manufacturers across the whole rpm range, and it had up to 9% LOSS below 3000 rpm.

I'd really want to see a dyno chart starting from about 1500-2000 rpm.
__________________
2013 Wrangler Sport (2DR) | Stick Shift | 4.10 Gears | TrueTrac LSD Front & Rear
33x12.5x15 Duratracs on 15x8 Black Rock D-Window Wheels
Prodigy Performance Stage 2 Turbo
AEV 2" Spacer Lift
Full Disclosure: Affiliated with Prodigy Performance as of 3/10/16 (explanation)
This is my personal account. My statements/opinions are my own; not Prodigy's
UselessPickles is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Scott2373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,714
The factory tunes the entire intake/exhaust system to work as a single unit and do it as efficiently as possible. Like the previous poster says, if you spend all you time driving at 3500RPM, then you might see a benefit, however I try to keep it as close to or under 2000 RPM for fuel mileage savings. If CAI's and "Free flow" exhaust systems actually worked, they would come preinstalled on your vehicle. The manufacturers have to meet mandatory CARB and mileage regulations, so if something worked better, they'd use it.
__________________
2013 Sport in Commando Green [Traded for 2015 F150]
3.73 Gears, A/C, 6-Speed
/_|o[___]o
[I---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)==)_)
MOLON LABE
Scott2373 is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2373 View Post
If CAI's and "Free flow" exhaust systems actually worked, they would come preinstalled on your vehicle.
Not that simple. Everything's a compromise between many competing goals. Some of those goals include minimizing NVH (noise/vibration/harshness). CAI and free-flowing exhaust are noisy, and the typical consumer wants a quiet vehicle, so there's a reason that the manufacturer would avoid such things as standard equipment.

For the Wrangler especially, there's also the extra protection the air box provides for the air filter from physical damage and protection from water splashing.

Consider also that there is a Mopar-branded CAI kit for the Wrangler that advertises improved performance.
__________________
2013 Wrangler Sport (2DR) | Stick Shift | 4.10 Gears | TrueTrac LSD Front & Rear
33x12.5x15 Duratracs on 15x8 Black Rock D-Window Wheels
Prodigy Performance Stage 2 Turbo
AEV 2" Spacer Lift
Full Disclosure: Affiliated with Prodigy Performance as of 3/10/16 (explanation)
This is my personal account. My statements/opinions are my own; not Prodigy's
UselessPickles is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Scott2373's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessPickles View Post
Consider also that there is a Mopar-branded CAI kit for the Wrangler that advertises improved performance.
Because there's always someone who will buy it. It's not to make the vehicle run better, it's to make the unwitting consumer think they're making the vehicle run better. You won't get any more air into the throttle body with a CAI than you get with the stock airbox because you haven't changed the diameter of the throttle body. The only way to achieve more horsepower is to change out the intake head, pressurize the air using a supercharger or a Turbo. Now, you have to deal with all the built-in restrictions all along the exhaust system and remove all the pinch-points, twists, turns, catalytics, resonators and mufflers. Now you can start to make REAL horsepower that you will actually feel. At any rate - it's the end user's Jeep and up to him what to spend his money on. I just hate seeing people making foolish choices and wasting their money.
__________________
2013 Sport in Commando Green [Traded for 2015 F150]
3.73 Gears, A/C, 6-Speed
/_|o[___]o
[I---L-OllllllO
-
()_)()_)==)_)
MOLON LABE
Scott2373 is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2373 View Post
You won't get any more air into the throttle body with a CAI than you get with the stock airbox because you haven't changed the diameter of the throttle body.
It is possible that the stock air box is a restriction, and that a CAI is less restrictive. If that's the case, then a larger throttle body would not be necessary. It's also possible that the stock throttle body is larger than necessary to supply the engine with all the air it could possibly ingest, then a larger throttle body would never help at all.

If you're going to make claims like this, you need to back it up with evidence showing that the stock throttle body is a relative restriction compared to the stock air box and what the engine itself is capable of flowing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2373 View Post
The only way to achieve more horsepower is to change out the intake head, pressurize the air using a supercharger or a Turbo. Now, you have to deal with all the built-in restrictions all along the exhaust system and remove all the pinch-points, twists, turns, catalytics, resonators and mufflers. Now you can start to make REAL horsepower that you will actually feel.
Now I know you're just making this stuff up without any evidence to back it up. I happen to have a turbo on my Wrangler with an otherwise stock engine (stock heads, stock internals) and with stock exhaust. You'd have to be dead to not agree that my Jeep makes "REAL horsepower that you will actually feel". Is about 84% gain in power and about 113% gain in torque "REAL" enough?


While I do agree that basic exhaust and intake mods will not provide big gains on a Wrangler, and that change in sound is more significant than the change in performance, I have to completely disagree with every assertion you have made to try claiming that there is no benefit. Even if there was exactly 0 (or completely insignificant amount) extra air entering the engine with these mods as you claim, it's only a complete coincidence that reality matches your claims. The logic behind your claims is flawed and not backed by any evidence.
__________________
2013 Wrangler Sport (2DR) | Stick Shift | 4.10 Gears | TrueTrac LSD Front & Rear
33x12.5x15 Duratracs on 15x8 Black Rock D-Window Wheels
Prodigy Performance Stage 2 Turbo
AEV 2" Spacer Lift
Full Disclosure: Affiliated with Prodigy Performance as of 3/10/16 (explanation)
This is my personal account. My statements/opinions are my own; not Prodigy's
UselessPickles is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
nobndry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lynchburg, VA/ Morgantown,WV
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by heelborn View Post
nobndry, THANKS A TON for sharing that thread... Great info. Appears that the Banks system shows solid HP increase on the Dyno. The final poster on that thread experienced ~10% increase in mpg, which is excellent. How 'bout you?
My mpg actually went up about an average of 1mpg, I've had the system for 24,000 miles and have calculated my mpg at every fill-up. It could possibly be higher if i didnt like the sound of it so much that i am pretty quick off of the line thus hurting my mpg haha. The most noticeable difference for me, was the fact that it seems to "breathe" better. It'll easily redline now(no i dont do this often), where before it would not like to go above 3500 RPM. I dont have any experience with the 3.6l pentastar, but its a nice system and should be about the same.
__________________
2010 Wrangler 2dr Sport BLACK 6spd manual, 3.73 gears, 3" TF lift, 35"KM2

... See JKs do wave.

Jeep Instagram: @jeep.wrangler.jk
nobndry is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:24 PM   #14
Commercial Member
 
dvn4life1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Caldwell, TX
Posts: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobndry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heelborn View Post
nobndry, THANKS A TON for sharing that thread... Great info. Appears that the Banks system shows solid HP increase on the Dyno. The final poster on that thread experienced ~10% increase in mpg, which is excellent. How 'bout you?
My mpg actually went up about an average of 1mpg, I've had the system for 24,000 miles and have calculated my mpg at every fill-up. It could possibly be higher if i didnt like the sound of it so much that i am pretty quick off of the line thus hurting my mpg haha. The most noticeable difference for me, was the fact that it seems to "breathe" better. It'll easily redline now(no i dont do this often), where before it would not like to go above 3500 RPM. I dont have any experience with the 3.6l pentastar, but its a nice system and should be about the same.
^^ this OP. He has a 3.8. OP, the 3.8 stands to gain more power/efficiency than a newer 3.6. Which engine you have will be the factor IMO.

Yes I'm sure there will be some improvement even on the 3.6, but I believe it will be minimal in comparison to the improvements in power and fuel economy in the 3.8.
dvn4life1972 is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
nobndry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lynchburg, VA/ Morgantown,WV
Posts: 1,273
The thread i linked was data for the 3.6 pentastar.
__________________
2010 Wrangler 2dr Sport BLACK 6spd manual, 3.73 gears, 3" TF lift, 35"KM2

... See JKs do wave.

Jeep Instagram: @jeep.wrangler.jk
nobndry is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #16
Commercial Member
 
dvn4life1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Caldwell, TX
Posts: 2,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobndry View Post
I like this system on my 3.8L, many people will argue that they are useless. I have a video on youtube, you can find many of them, and a sound clip on my Instagram listed in my signature if you want to hear it. Also check this thread out for some more info:

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/ba...=1422977610439
My fault for not being very clear. I was referring to your vehicle that you were talking about on this post ^.
dvn4life1972 is offline   Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
nobndry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lynchburg, VA/ Morgantown,WV
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvn4life1972 View Post
My fault for not being very clear. I was referring to your vehicle that you were talking about on this post ^.
Ohh, gotcha.

__________________
2010 Wrangler 2dr Sport BLACK 6spd manual, 3.73 gears, 3" TF lift, 35"KM2

... See JKs do wave.

Jeep Instagram: @jeep.wrangler.jk
nobndry is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.