Best Top NX versus NX Glide - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kadonny
  • 1 Post By panfilr
  • 1 Post By golphur
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
GrayGhost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 22
Best Top NX versus NX Glide

Can someone please tell me the benefits of one versus the other? And also the benefits of twill versus sail cloth. Thank You...

GrayGhost is offline   Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:58 AM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Digger70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Clearfield County, PA
Posts: 2,638
Twill is higher quality and lasts longer. The Glide doesn't use zippers for the windows.

__________________
Sold 3/30/17: 2014 Willys Wheeler JK FR
Sold 6/5/19: 2015 Sahara JK BY
Sold 8/22/19: 2019 Sahara JLU HY
Sold 2/28/20: 2020 Gladiator Rubicon FR
Bought 2/28/20: 2020 Gladiator Sport Sting Gray
Digger70 is online now   Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Central MA
Posts: 239
The Glide also has the ability to fold completely down like the OEM soft top whereas the NX doesn't quite do that, although some people have been able to "roll" it up and keep it near the sound bar vs down near the tailgate bar.
Romokid is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Kadonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romokid View Post
The Glide also has the ability to fold completely down like the OEM soft top whereas the NX doesn't quite do that, although some people have been able to "roll" it up and keep it near the sound bar vs down near the tailgate bar.
Yup, I roll my NX up quite easily anymore. 5 minutes max. I should have snapped a picture yesterday, had it rolled up for a few days. I unrolled it today becuase I'll want the shade. Sunny and 95 here today.

Here is my quick assesment. I have both.

Glide:
Full fold down capability
Windows easier to install
More OEM style looks
Versatile
Windows harder to store on board and harder to roll up

NX:
Cheaper
Looks more like a real bikini top with windows out
Versatile
Not as easy for full top down, but still very doable
I personally think the NX looks so much better
Windows much easier to roll and store on board
Romokid likes this.
__________________
2018 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon 6 speed
2015 Tank JKUHR 6 speed Traded
2010 Black JKU 6 Speed, Tint, Grille mod, Bedtred, Hella's
Kadonny is offline   Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
panfilr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 17
i owned the NX for 4 years and just replaced it with the glide. Biggest advantage is the ability to go to full convertible and not having to store the entire top. overall the glide is quieter with top off. As far as looks and this is always a matter of opinion, i like the look of the new glide, has a bit of the tiger top look from the front. both are pretty similar though and i don't really see that much of a difference there. still have to store the rear windows in either NX or glide. Very happy with the new glide though, it's definitely engineered tighter.
deeve likes this.
panfilr is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 52
I own both the NX in Black Diamond and the Glide in Twill. I also have a hard top so have a good comparison of all three. I ran with the NX for a couple of years and the two things that bugged me were that the Sunrider only opened above the front passengers on a 4-door, and that you couldn't take the top fully down to convertible mode. The Glide fixed both of these features and I am very happy with the Glide functionality. Sunrider flips open for both front and back passengers and it opens all the way to topless.

I also like the fastback look of the NX and Glide. Being a frameless top you can remove the back and side windows and run in Safari mode for the really hot days.

As far as diamond vs twill, the twill is a much thicker and nicer material. The Twill ride is definitely more quiet than diamond. It probably insulates better as well. I'd probably spring for the twill if you're going to run soft top all year. I used to swap out NX to hard top for winter months but now that I have twill I may give it a go and see how well it works for me in the winter.

Some people say twill is as quiet as the hard top. That's just not true. You should not expect it to be as quiet as a hard top, ever.
Digger70 likes this.
golphur is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:17 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 52
I'd also note that on both the Glide and the NX, the side and back windows lay flat in the storage area of a JKU. I don't roll my windows and have no problem keeping them in the cargo area. It could be a problem in the 2-door, though. Lots of debates about window storage on the forum.
golphur is offline   Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:18 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Kadonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by golphur View Post
I own both the NX in Black Diamond and the Glide in Twill. I also have a hard top so have a good comparison of all three. I ran with the NX for a couple of years and the two things that bugged me were that the Sunrider only opened above the front passengers on a 4-door, and that you couldn't take the top fully down to convertible mode. The Glide fixed both of these features and I am very happy with the Glide functionality. Sunrider flips open for both front and back passengers and it opens all the way to topless.

I also like the fastback look of the NX and Glide. Being a frameless top you can remove the back and side windows and run in Safari mode for the really hot days.

As far as diamond vs twill, the twill is a much thicker and nicer material. The Twill ride is definitely more quiet than diamond. It probably insulates better as well. I'd probably spring for the twill if you're going to run soft top all year. I used to swap out NX to hard top for winter months but now that I have twill I may give it a go and see how well it works for me in the winter.

Some people say twill is as quiet as the hard top. That's just not true. You should not expect it to be as quiet as a hard top, ever.
Do you run bikini mode? The Glide is not a shining star in bikini mode.
__________________
2018 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon 6 speed
2015 Tank JKUHR 6 speed Traded
2010 Black JKU 6 Speed, Tint, Grille mod, Bedtred, Hella's
Kadonny is offline   Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
Do you run bikini mode? The Glide is not a shining star in bikini mode.
Yep. I was running in bikini/safari mode yesterday. It's fine on the Glide. It looks kind of weird compared to the NX in that configuration. The back bow makes the top stick up higher in the back than the NX does in this configuration. It's effective, though. Keeps the sun off of me, and I can't see that weird bump when I'm driving
golphur is offline   Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Kadonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by golphur View Post
Yep. I was running in bikini/safari mode yesterday. It's fine on the Glide. It looks kind of weird compared to the NX in that configuration. The back bow makes the top stick up higher in the back than the NX does in this configuration. It's effective, though. Keeps the sun off of me, and I can't see that weird bump when I'm driving
Does your back bow pop out of the brackets when going highway speeds? Mine did all the time. That plus the looks is why my comment.
__________________
2018 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon 6 speed
2015 Tank JKUHR 6 speed Traded
2010 Black JKU 6 Speed, Tint, Grille mod, Bedtred, Hella's
Kadonny is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
Does your back bow pop out of the brackets when going highway speeds? Mine did all the time. That plus the looks is why my comment.
No, it has not popped out of the brackets yet, but I have only been driving 45-50mph. Haven't been on a real highway in bikini mode yet.

golphur is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.