Bumper/Winch suggestions/opnions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
MeachamBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Top of the Blues
Posts: 796
Question Bumper/Winch suggestions/opnions

I've had my JK almost 3 weeks so it's time to start going broke.

15 Rubi JK, lockers with 4:10's, TANK of course.
Not new to Jeep winches or wheelin but I got past most of my NEED to mod with my old CJ-7.
I'm looking to get a bumper/winch and I'm not up on all the new options out there so suggestions welcome.

I'm strongly considering a Rock Hard Rock Hard 4x4 Aluminum Patriot Series Full Width Front Bumper w/ Lowered Winch Mount for Jeep Wrangler JK 2/4DR 2007 - 2015 [RH-5045] 37 lbs. with a Warn M8000-s Self-Recovery Winch 55(?) lbs.

My biggest consideration is keeping the weight down and best I can tell this should only add about 60 lbs.
Any info on the best prices/sources also welcome.



MeachamBearcat is online now   Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Anonymous Coward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 479
In the light weight winch bumper category also consider:

LoD ArmorLite - made of alloy steel for high strength and light weight, you can customize with add-ons and 2-stage zinc base powdercoat options. There is also a stubby version of this bumper.

2007-2015 Jeep Jk Armor Lite Midwidth*::*Front Bumpers*::*2007-2015 Jeep JK Products*::*Jeep*::*LoD Offroad

Also consider the Warn XD9000 and add an aftermarket synth line after the fact. An XD9000 with synth will weigh only a couple more lbs. than a m8000-s, but the XD9000 will have line speed and pulling performance more comparable to a Zeon 10 (without the weight). If you follow the Zoro deals thread floating around the forum you can end up getting a XD9000 for ~$650-ish or less, and then plus synth line from amsteelblue.com or elsewhere, you are in the ballpark of a m8000-s at list price.

__________________
2014 JKU Sport 3.6L auto Flame Red
2014 Manley MORV Original trailer
(Ret.) 2003 TJ Sport 4.0L auto Patriot Blue
(Ret.) 1999 TJ SE 2.5L auto Chili Pepper Red
Anonymous Coward is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
MeachamBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Top of the Blues
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
In the light weight winch bumper category also consider:

LoD ArmorLite - made of alloy steel for high strength and light weight, you can customize with add-ons and 2-stage zinc base powdercoat options. There is also a stubby version of this bumper.

2007-2015 Jeep Jk Armor Lite Midwidth*::*Front Bumpers*::*2007-2015 Jeep JK Products*::*Jeep*::*LoD Offroad

Also consider the Warn XD9000 and add an aftermarket synth line after the fact. An XD9000 with synth will weigh only a couple more lbs. than a m8000-s, but the XD9000 will have line speed and pulling performance more comparable to a Zeon 10 (without the weight). If you follow the Zoro deals thread floating around the forum you can end up getting a XD9000 for ~$650-ish or less, and then plus synth line from amsteelblue.com or elsewhere, you are in the ballpark of a m8000-s at list price.
That is a valid and cheaper option, as I just happen to have one of those sitting in a hitch cradle out in the shop. It's gotta be close to 20 yrs old but still in great shape since it's been in the corner for 15 of them, I forgot I had it till you mentioned it.
As luck would have it it was in the bed when a semi slid into the unfortunate F250.
Guess I have to consider how much I'm willing to spend to save maybe 25 lbs.
MeachamBearcat is online now   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-13-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Anonymous Coward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 479
I would use the one you have. A replacement synth cable from amsteelblue.com will run about $250 and save you that 25 lbs. The weight difference is all in the cable and the fairlead.

Later on you can upgrade the solenoid pack to the newer contactor control pack: Amazon.com: WARN 83664 9.5 XP-S Contactor Pack: Automotive

It is pretty straightforward to replace the electric motor and other parts on an xd9000 as well. All of the part numbers for a rebuild are available from Warn (check their website, you just need the serial number of the winch), and most all of the Warn part numbers can be found for purchase at Amazon or other Warn retailers.
__________________
2014 JKU Sport 3.6L auto Flame Red
2014 Manley MORV Original trailer
(Ret.) 2003 TJ Sport 4.0L auto Patriot Blue
(Ret.) 1999 TJ SE 2.5L auto Chili Pepper Red
Anonymous Coward is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:55 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Anonymous Coward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Illinois
Posts: 479
This is what you want to replace the steel cable:

Amsteel Blue 3/8" Synthetic Winch Line - 17,600 lbs - AmsteelBlue

That plus a new aluminum hawse fairlead will save you the 25 lbs. on the xd9000 you already have. Get the 75' length as it is the most that will fit on the drum.

This is the part number for the hook on the m8000-s... I prefer it over the hooks that usually come with synth cable... the opening in the hook for the thimble needs to be larger for the crush-proof thimble, vs the narrower stainless thimble of the steel cable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008PPG78G
__________________
2014 JKU Sport 3.6L auto Flame Red
2014 Manley MORV Original trailer
(Ret.) 2003 TJ Sport 4.0L auto Patriot Blue
(Ret.) 1999 TJ SE 2.5L auto Chili Pepper Red
Anonymous Coward is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
Supporting Vendor
 
Jeremy KrawlOff-Road.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,867
Either of those bumpers would be great options. I think you are on the right track with aluminum to keep the weight down. You might consider a Genright bumper in aluminum.

Jeremy
Jeremy KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
MeachamBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Top of the Blues
Posts: 796
Nice thing about this forum.......the only crowd I've found more eager to help a guy go broke would be in the tavern.

Hope I can return the favor someday OR find us a good cool tavern on a hot afternoon.
MeachamBearcat is online now   Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #8
Supporting Vendor
 
Rock Hard 4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeachamBearcat View Post
I've had my JK almost 3 weeks so it's time to start going broke.

15 Rubi JK, lockers with 4:10's, TANK of course.
Not new to Jeep winches or wheelin but I got past most of my NEED to mod with my old CJ-7.
I'm looking to get a bumper/winch and I'm not up on all the new options out there so suggestions welcome.

I'm strongly considering a Rock Hard Rock Hard 4x4 Aluminum Patriot Series Full Width Front Bumper w/ Lowered Winch Mount for Jeep Wrangler JK 2/4DR 2007 - 2015 [RH-5045] 37 lbs. with a Warn M8000-s Self-Recovery Winch 55(?) lbs.

My biggest consideration is keeping the weight down and best I can tell this should only add about 60 lbs.
Any info on the best prices/sources also welcome.

Thanks for taking a look at our line! Let us know if you have any questions.
__________________
ROCK HARD 4X4
PREMIUM - PATENTED - PROVEN / 100% Made in the USA Jeep Armor
Toll Free: (844) ROCK-HARD / 762-5427
Email: [email protected] or send us a PM
Site: www.rockhard4x4.com
Instructions and Videos: www.rockhard4x4.com/INSTRUCTIONS
Follow RH4x4: Facebook / YouTube / Instagram / Twitter
Sign up for our Newsletter: Click here
Rock Hard 4x4 is offline   Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
JeeperJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,540
re: "Top of the Blues"....Meacham Bearcat: I lived there once upon a time.....(some 60+ years ago) my dad was a catskinner punching the highway thru the wilderness....
__________________
get in--buckle up--hang on
"soothing agricultural implement/personal servant/Walter Mitty multidimensional access utility device conveniently travels on pavement when necessary and often keeps me warm/cool/dry/soothed as needed."
JeeperJake is offline   Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:08 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
MeachamBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Top of the Blues
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperJake View Post
re: "Top of the Blues"....Meacham Bearcat: I lived there once upon a time.....(some 60+ years ago) my dad was a catskinner punching the highway thru the wilderness....
That was a little early for me, since i just hit 60.
I enjoy it up here, made the move back when Pilot Rock started getting too close to 2k residents.
MeachamBearcat is online now   Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:23 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
MeachamBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Top of the Blues
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Hard 4x4 View Post
Thanks for taking a look at our line! Let us know if you have any questions.
PM sent.

Be gentle with me please.
MeachamBearcat is online now   Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Nite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Adirondack Mountains, N.Y.
Posts: 118
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150501_101552.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	2343561

Hi; I went with a steel AEV (Plain ) Front Bumper with a steel skid plate ( front air dam ) and Winch mount plate plus tow hooks. ( $1,000 off E-Bay with shipping ). I put a SmityBuilt XRC 12,000 winch with Syn Rope. ( $ 500 off E-Bay with shipping ). Weight all told about 100 lbs.

2015 Sahara JKU Tank of course !
Nite is offline   Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:52 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
MeachamBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Top of the Blues
Posts: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Attachment 2343561

Hi; I went with a steel AEV (Plain ) Front Bumper with a steel skid plate ( front air dam ) and Winch mount plate plus tow hooks. ( $1,000 off E-Bay with shipping ). I put a SmityBuilt XRC 12,000 winch with Syn Rope. ( $ 500 off E-Bay with shipping ). Weight all told about 100 lbs.

2015 Sahara JKU Tank of course !
I like the clean looks of that setup but I was hopping to get one with the bar.

May just come down to cost.
MeachamBearcat is online now   Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #14
Supporting Vendor
 
Rock Hard 4x4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeachamBearcat View Post
PM sent.

Be gentle with me please.
We'll do our best to be and not you so you say
__________________
ROCK HARD 4X4
PREMIUM - PATENTED - PROVEN / 100% Made in the USA Jeep Armor
Toll Free: (844) ROCK-HARD / 762-5427
Email: [email protected] or send us a PM
Site: www.rockhard4x4.com
Instructions and Videos: www.rockhard4x4.com/INSTRUCTIONS
Follow RH4x4: Facebook / YouTube / Instagram / Twitter
Sign up for our Newsletter: Click here
Rock Hard 4x4 is offline   Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Manassas, VA
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Attachment 2343561

Hi; I went with a steel AEV (Plain ) Front Bumper with a steel skid plate ( front air dam ) and Winch mount plate plus tow hooks. ( $1,000 off E-Bay with shipping ). I put a SmityBuilt XRC 12,000 winch with Syn Rope. ( $ 500 off E-Bay with shipping ). Weight all told about 100 lbs.

2015 Sahara JKU Tank of course !
100lbs? I did a search and the bumper alone is 125lbs. You are probably closer to 200lbs with the bumper, skid plate, winch mounting plate, and the winch.
mikeJKUR is offline   Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:03 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Nite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Adirondack Mountains, N.Y.
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeJKUR View Post
100lbs? I did a search and the bumper alone is 125lbs. You are probably closer to 200lbs with the bumper, skid plate, winch mounting plate, and the winch.
Yes you are right; Typo on the weight, just hit the 1 key instead of 2; The Bumper without the Bull Bar is lighter and Winch with Syn Rope is light; the weight is with the Metal Skid Plate, and Mounting Plate & Flair head for the Winch.

Nite is offline   Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 35
I HIGHLY recommend the Rock Hard Aluminum bumper. I installed it alone with no issues, and reinstalled it 2 weeks later when my new license plate arrived. Ease of installation may have something to do with the fact it weighs less than 40 lbs and has a great balance to it.

The only thing I would improve is some sort of shield to protect the back of the factory driving lights from water and debris thrown from the tire. Any suggestions?

The welds are very high quality, the finish was perfect and I have gotten lots of comments, even at the local Jeep dealership.

It first I struggled with the cost, but wanted to buy the right one (for my needs) the first time. I am over the moon with the bumper, and would buy another if something happened to the jeep.

Good luck on the quest.

Kevin

rkstreet is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.