Can/should you mate a 4.7 with an NSG370? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SecondTJ
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-26-2019, 11:55 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11
Can/should you mate a 4.7 with an NSG370?

I'm not the most familiar with engine swaps but I do have a budget and I think a 4.7 in my 2008 would be pretty cool. I know there would be a lot of rewiring and I'm okay with that, but I was wondering if keeping the NSG370 6 speed manual would be a way to save money. I know its mfg rating is 272 lb but is the 4.7 output too much for it to be reliable? And are there any other cheap options? I'm thinking a little more optimistic than what reality has in store lol

Dauminator63 is offline   Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:01 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Laggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,590
Supercharger kit.

I’ve found that virtually every engine swap will necessitate an auto trans. Don’t know why.

__________________
Laggy's 2013 JKUR Build
Laggy's 97 Build Thread SOLD

Here it is standing: atoms with consciousness; matter with curiosity. Stands at the sea, wonders at wondering: I, a universe of atoms an atom in the universe. - Richard Feynman
Laggy is offline   Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:49 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggy View Post
Supercharger kit.
How reliable are they though? I was looking at the magnuson roots for my 3.8. Its 4k, and I'd have my engine rebuilt, and I'd probably throw RIPP headers on. TBH a supercharged jeep sounds awesome but i'd want it to last at least 150k miles
Dauminator63 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-27-2019, 10:55 PM   #4
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,428
When the 4.7 was in production, Chrysler used the Getrag 238 instead of NSG370. I’d assume for good reason.
Laggy likes this.
__________________
Current: 2017 JKUR

Gone: 1998 Sport, 1987 YJ, 2000 Sport, 1997 SE
SecondTJ is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Mike H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 552
AFAIK, the JK NSG370 has a different bolt pattern than the 3.7/4.7 Magnum engines.
AFAIK, the JK NSG370has an integral bell housing, so, swapping the bell is not an option.

AFAIK, you would need to source a NSG370 from a KJ, or TJ/LJ.
At that point... maybe looking at the Getrag 238 starts to make sense.



I had a WJ with the 4.7HO in it (265hp/330tq). Really liked that little motor, would have loved a slick 5/6 speed manual with it. I put 120k trouble free miles on it, sold it to a coworkers son, who ran it up to 150k miles without issue before he sold it.
I think the 2nd gen 4.7's (revised heads/cams) were rated at 300hp/335tq.
__________________
2013 2dr JKR 3.6 6spd 3.5" MCGC/OME lift 37x12.50's 5.13's Riddlers 1310's G2axles SynergySector&TB&DL T6-7075TieRod Artec Truss/C's and draglink flip PSC hydro assist, Warn Zeon PSbumpers PSrails PSbodyarmor/fenders SynergyHDskid system.
2019 Grand Cherokee SRT... Pano, HK, Laguna, lghtwght wheels and tow.
Mike H. is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:31 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
Laggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H. View Post
AFAIK, the JK NSG370 has a different bolt pattern than the 3.7/4.7 Magnum engines.
AFAIK, the JK NSG370has an integral bell housing, so, swapping the bell is not an option.

AFAIK, you would need to source a NSG370 from a KJ, or TJ/LJ.
At that point... maybe looking at the Getrag 238 starts to make sense.



I had a WJ with the 4.7HO in it (265hp/330tq). Really liked that little motor, would have loved a slick 5/6 speed manual with it. I put 120k trouble free miles on it, sold it to a coworkers son, who ran it up to 150k miles without issue before he sold it.
I think the 2nd gen 4.7's (revised heads/cams) were rated at 300hp/335tq.
I was gonna say it splits...But not at the bell housing, It's a bit further back...
__________________
Laggy's 2013 JKUR Build
Laggy's 97 Build Thread SOLD

Here it is standing: atoms with consciousness; matter with curiosity. Stands at the sea, wonders at wondering: I, a universe of atoms an atom in the universe. - Richard Feynman
Laggy is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Antigo, WI
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauminator63 View Post
I'm not the most familiar with engine swaps but I do have a budget and I think a 4.7 in my 2008 would be pretty cool. I know there would be a lot of rewiring and I'm okay with that, but I was wondering if keeping the NSG370 6 speed manual would be a way to save money. I know its mfg rating is 272 lb but is the 4.7 output too much for it to be reliable? And are there any other cheap options? I'm thinking a little more optimistic than what reality has in store lol
If your goal is to save money, this really isn't the way to go. The words "engine swap" and "cheap" shouldn't go together, and I'd be concerned if they were. Do you need an engine, or are you just looking for more power?

As has been stated, the JK nsg370 won't bolt to the 4.7, you'd need to get a nsg370 out of a KJ liberty with the 3.7, and even then as was mentioned, you may be pushing it for a nsg370.
Aloicious is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
JHD1827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauminator63 View Post
How reliable are they though?
I haven't been in the game for very long but I don't believe I've seen anyone post about how happy they are with their supercharger. Everything I've read is issues with getting it tuned correctly.
JHD1827 is offline   Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
terpsmandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Penn Yan, NY
Posts: 1,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondTJ View Post
When the 4.7 was in production, Chrysler used the Getrag 238 instead of NSG370. I’d assume for good reason.
You could get that combo in a Dakota like this:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5062/overview/

T-case is a NV233HD.
terpsmandan is offline   Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
nighowl2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ottawa canada
Posts: 2,043
there are 3 different versions of the magnum 4.7L v8:

https://itstillruns.com/dodge-47l-specs-7595630.html

prob why need a different transmission.

__________________
2014 jku sport S dual top, auto 3.73, max tow package
Mod's - jwm4x4.com grill insert,25" eyourlife LED bar, daystar switch pod fortin remote start,rugged ridge head liners, rubicon express transmission skid plate, smittybilt 76634 SRC Side Armor
nighowl2000 is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
money , transmission , v8 swap , v8swap

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.