cold weather warm up - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Jkujon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 43
cold weather warm up

Got a question. Do you guys/gals let your Jeep run for a few minutes to warm up before you take off on cold mornings? Having not come from a mechanicaly savvy family, i have always just jumped in and took off. Thats probably not the right way to do it.
thanks.

Jkujon is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Wallygator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vernon BC
Posts: 1,237
Depends on how cold but even in summer I let it warm up for a half minute or so. In colder weather I like to let it run for at least a few minutes then just drive it easy till it gets up to temp.

__________________
Hey Y'all! Watch this! I saw it in a movie once!
Wallygator is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 23,119
The best way to warm it up is to drive slowly and moderately for the first few miles. I realize that's not always practical, but it's the best way. The worst is to let it sit and idle. Try to find a middle ground.
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
ShoreWrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Maryland's Eastern Shore
Posts: 941
I let it warm up and i have no idea why - just something i have been doing for the last 25 years without ever doing any research to see if there's a benefit
ShoreWrangler is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Jkujon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 43
Thumbs up

Daggo, why is letting it idle the worst? It seems like that would be the most gentle way to warm up. Thanks for the help.

I have about a 10 minute drive to the hwy i take into work so i am usually at temp by the time i drive at high speed, so i am probably ok.
Jkujon is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
wrangler0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 836
A mechanic I used to go to told me you should let the engine idle down to 700RPM....

In my Civic I had before my Jeep, it would take a few minutes for that to happen, the Jeep doesn't take long at all....

I wait for the RPMs to drop below 1,000 and go....
wrangler0 is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,757
Oil doesn't really flow good till warm. Driving slowly is the best way to get the juices flowin.

I usually wait till the idle to settle and I'm off
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
you want to let it warm up to burn off any moisture.. short trips are harder on motors than long trips.. you ideally want it to get to operating temperature before shutting it off.. moisture that isnt given enough time to burn up will end up in your oil and interfere with the proper lubrication of your motor... can lead to premature wear on bearings and lifters and such..
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #9
The Bad Guy

WF Supporting Member
 
daggo66's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NJ exile living in Baltimore
Posts: 23,119
__________________
Tom

"I've got two things in this world, my balls and my word and I don't break them for no one."
daggo66 is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Jkujon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 43
Thanks, if anyone knows about cold it would be the Canadians!!
Jkujon is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
Really liking the Jeep...

WF Supporting Member
 
strider_mt2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 1,956
On cold mornings I use the remote start and let it run for a few.
Even idling for a bit has to be better than jumping in and going right away.
__________________
2012 Unlimited Rubicon - Natural Green
Every Day Driver
strider_mt2k is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Another Guy In A Jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 2,467
I turn the thing on and go
__________________
17 and ignorant
Another Guy In A Jeep is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
Hardcore Jeeper
 
Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 3,320
I let it idle 5-10 minutes or until the window defrosts, which ever is shorter. On my diesel I'll let it idle upwards of 15 minutes, and I still have to drive for another 15 before It'll start to warm up (when its really cold). Also driving a cold vehicle with a turbo is very bad. The engine oil lubes the turbo and they can spin upwards of 150k rpm. So if the oil is cold and thick, it wont flow as well to the turbo.
__________________
What have we got?
We have one heavily armed Recreational Vehicle


ΣΧ
The Power Tech 6
Peepers is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
SirGeorgeKillian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66
That article said little about the mechanical side of the topic and brought up several times points about greenhouse gasses, fuel consumption, and wasted fuel.

When an engine is first cranked (especially newer computer controlled models) the RPM it idols at is ideal. It is warming the oil and circulating it adequately till it is at operating temperature. Excessive RPMs and load at this point is not good for your engine. Even with modern winter blend oils (that is what the "w" in say 10w30 stands for, winter) it is best for all parts involved to be at adaquate operating temperature, that keeps tolerances where they need to be.
SirGeorgeKillian is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
..shall not be infringed!

WF Supporting Member
 
Up Hill Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Up the hill, CA Northcoast
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkujon View Post
Thanks, if anyone knows about cold it would be the Canadians!!
Yeah, but that article is based on the false premise that CO2 is bad. And, that man-made CO2 is responsible for "global warming*." The premise is totally false, so their conclusion - that you shouldn't warm up your engine because you'll contribute to "global warming*" - is meaningless drivel.

Note that they recommend against "excessive idling," 5 or 10 minutes. But they do recommend that "...usually no more than two to three minutes of idling is enough warm-up time...

They also recommend engine block heaters for very cold situations.

They make no mention of long term wear and tear on the engine, just fuel use and their mythical "greenhouse gas" emissions.

I warm up my Jeep until the automatic choke lets the engine idle down to about 700 RPM, about a minute or two. I then drive moderately until the engine reaches operating temperature.





* Note: one man's "global warming" is another man's "climate optimum"!
__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon
Sahara Tan
Auto
3.73


Up Hill Bill
Up Hill Bill is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
Hardcore Jeeper
 
Peepers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 3,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill View Post
Yeah, but that article is based on the false premise that CO2 is bad. And, that man-made CO2 is responsible for "global warming*." The premise is totally false, so their conclusion - that you shouldn't warm up your engine because you'll contribute to "global warming*" - is meaningless drivel.

Note that they recommend against "excessive idling," 5 or 10 minutes. But they do recommend that "...usually no more than two to three minutes of idling is enough warm-up time...

They also recommend engine block heaters for very cold situations.

They make no mention of long term wear and tear on the engine, just fuel use and their mythical "greenhouse gas" emissions.

I warm up my Jeep until the automatic choke lets the engine idle down to about 700 RPM, about a minute or two. I then drive moderately until the engine reaches operating temperature.





* Note: one man's "global warming" is another man's "climate optimum"!
Not when it brings huricanes, tornados, earthquakes, and feet of snow to the lower northeast... Well I guess the snow is fine, but not that other stuff...
__________________
What have we got?
We have one heavily armed Recreational Vehicle


ΣΧ
The Power Tech 6
Peepers is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Thread Starter
  #17
Jeeper
 
Jkujon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: kansas
Posts: 43
Let's take the CO2 part out of it. Would you say there in no benefit to the engine to idle 10-15 minutes vs 2-3. We can all agree that burning extra fuel while not moving has no benefit on ones wallet.
Jkujon is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill View Post
Yeah, but that article is based on the false premise that CO2 is bad. And, that man-made CO2 is responsible for "global warming*." The premise is totally false, so their conclusion - that you shouldn't warm up your engine because you'll contribute to "global warming*" - is meaningless drivel.

Note that they recommend against "excessive idling," 5 or 10 minutes. But they do recommend that "...usually no more than two to three minutes of idling is enough warm-up time...

They also recommend engine block heaters for very cold situations.

They make no mention of long term wear and tear on the engine, just fuel use and their mythical "greenhouse gas" emissions.

I warm up my Jeep until the automatic choke lets the engine idle down to about 700 RPM, about a minute or two. I then drive moderately until the engine reaches operating temperature.





* Note: one man's "global warming" is another man's "climate optimum"!
Bingo. They're concerned about C02, not your engine - read the rest of their web site. The colder it is, the more important the use of Syn oil, garages, and/or block heaters, and warmups. Of course the engine will warm up faster driving it sooner - it'll also shorten it's life.
__________________
'14 Anvil JKUR (sold the '12 at 52K miles)
'13 unlimited stripped sport (red one)
'13 JKU sport (blue one)
'10 Unlimited sport (other red one)
'08 Unlimited X (green one)
3JKs1H1 is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
dirt road inspector

WF Supporting Member
 
tomthbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 2,933
I used to send my son out to the Jeep on cold days with a hairdrier to warm up the oil pan but after the day he did it in that heavy rain I could hardly talk him in to it again.

That's why I got remote start on the '12.
tomthbomb is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian View Post
That article said little about the mechanical side of the topic and brought up several times points about greenhouse gasses, fuel consumption, and wasted fuel.

When an engine is first cranked (especially newer computer controlled models) the RPM it idols at is ideal. It is warming the oil and circulating it adequately till it is at operating temperature. Excessive RPMs and load at this point is not good for your engine. Even with modern winter blend oils (that is what the "w" in say 10w30 stands for, winter) it is best for all parts involved to be at adaquate operating temperature, that keeps tolerances where they need to be.
The W does not stand for winter.. having say a 5W30 motor oil just means multi-grade, doesnt actually indicate viscosity either.. it does indicate temperature testing though, which i guess is why people would assume 'winter'.. each SAE grade does give an indication of what temperatures it is safe to start your vehicle at..

if anyones interested theres a very in-depth article on pirate4x4 that talks about engine oils.. i found it to be an interesting read, a lot of it is over my head but it will give you a good idea about how the SAE grading works..
Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM   #21
..shall not be infringed!

WF Supporting Member
 
Up Hill Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Up the hill, CA Northcoast
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkproximity View Post
The W does not stand for winter..
Yes, it does.

Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms
__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon
Sahara Tan
Auto
3.73


Up Hill Bill
Up Hill Bill is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #23
..shall not be infringed!

WF Supporting Member
 
Up Hill Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Up the hill, CA Northcoast
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepers View Post
Not when it brings huricanes, tornados, earthquakes, and feet of snow to the lower northeast... Well I guess the snow is fine, but not that other stuff...
If you really think those things are related to warming at the poles &/or "global warming," you need to drive your Jeep to the library and look a little deeper into the subject....

Warming reduces the temperature gradient between the poles and the tropics, and reduces the driving force behind severe weather. And, earthquakes, really?.

More snow... yes, you're right in many circumstances there. But, Jeeps are great fun in the snow!
__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon
Sahara Tan
Auto
3.73


Up Hill Bill
Up Hill Bill is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
In laymans terms does not mean in actual terms.. just because a lot of people think it means winter or refer to it as winter does not mean SAE would actually name it winter..
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #25
..shall not be infringed!

WF Supporting Member
 
Up Hill Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Up the hill, CA Northcoast
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkproximity View Post
In laymans terms does not mean in actual terms.. just because a lot of people think it means winter or refer to it as winter does not mean SAE would actually name it winter..

The "W" after a viscosity number, like 20W is an abbreviation for "20 winter viscousity." And denotes an oil which has been tested at low temperatures.
__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon
Sahara Tan
Auto
3.73


Up Hill Bill
Up Hill Bill is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
SirGeorgeKillian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkproximity

The W does not stand for winter.. having say a 5W30 motor oil just means multi-grade, doesnt actually indicate viscosity either.. it does indicate temperature testing though, which i guess is why people would assume 'winter'.. each SAE grade does give an indication of what temperatures it is safe to start your vehicle at..

if anyones interested theres a very in-depth article on pirate4x4 that talks about engine oils.. i found it to be an interesting read, a lot of it is over my head but it will give you a good idea about how the SAE grading works..
Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading and 4x4 website in the world.
The folks at Valvoline didnt get that memo.....

http://www.valvoline.com/car-care/motor-oil-myths/
SirGeorgeKillian is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
It actually has nothing to do with viscosity.. read that article on pirate.. its informative
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
darkproximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Not Spokane, WA
Posts: 12,000
It may have been adopted as winter.. which makes sense but it was never defined by SAE to really mean winter.. im not trying to be a pain here just trying to pass along knowledge. Its likely that SAE never really defined the W but everyone even the industry decided it meant winter because of temperature testing
__________________
Apache chief, e ne chuk!
darkproximity is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
SirGeorgeKillian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,282
It is called winter because that is what it was designed for. That is why we aren't running straight 30 weight in January.
SirGeorgeKillian is offline   Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #30
dirt road inspector

WF Supporting Member
 
tomthbomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Deep East Texas
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up Hill Bill View Post
Good stuff! Answered questions I've had for years.

tomthbomb is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heater blower won't work in cold weather ian0502 TJ Tech Forum 5 03-12-2015 10:10 AM
unseasonably warm weather... deverhart Off-Topic 26 02-15-2013 10:22 AM
NY: Bestop All Weather Trail Cover - Like New 4X4RDSTR Classifieds Archive 3 03-26-2010 01:08 PM
Warm weather! Fondo23 TJ General Discussion Forum 35 05-17-2007 01:18 PM
Weather! crj101 Off-Topic 52 04-23-2007 11:47 AM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.