coolant leak - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By dmulk
  • 1 Post By jdillinger1934
  • 1 Post By dmulk
  • 1 Post By DIRT BOY
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-09-2019, 06:12 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
coolant leak

I have a 2012 jeep wrangler sport unlimited.
last evening is started running hot. I had to pull over to let it cool down to get home. look at it this morning and there was a puddle of antifreeze under the transmission. When I added coolant (not started) you could hear the leak above the tranny, it was leaking as fast as I poured it in. Any Ideas? I had to have it towed to the garage didn't even start it. hoping a hose somewhere above the trans blew. I'm hoping it's not a head gasket as it seems to leak above to trans.
Thank you for your replies

jdillinger1934 is offline   Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
dmulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 134
Likely need a new oil cooler. Common issue and something you can do yourself. Watch the videos and read the threads.
DIRT BOY likes this.

dmulk is offline   Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
coolant leak

Thank You for the reply. I hoping since you said it's common that it's not too expensive to fix. It's too cold here to do it myself, I have the tools but no garage. At my age, I'm kinda all done doing major repairs. lol especially in the cold. However thanks again.
jdillinger1934 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,452
I am having my Oil Cooler replaced now to similar issues. Dealer said its a "big job."
My car when in fri at 12pm and hoping to get back by Tuesday. Glad I have the extended warranty. Cooler is being done today.
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is offline   Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:30 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Lusus_Naturae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: OKC, missing WI
Posts: 3,943
Oil cooler makes sense. It's not a hard job but it is time consuming. Gotta get down in the valley between the heads to replace it. Should take about a half a day to do, maybe a bit less.
__________________
2013 JKU Sport, billet, auto, 3.73, LSD, 35/12.5/17 Duratracs on Quadratec Hardrock, 2" lift, Bushwacker 9.5" pocket flare

Sold - 2005 TJ, red, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Ice storm casualty in 2007 - 2003 TJ, green, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Lusus_Naturae is offline   Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
dmulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdillinger1934 View Post
Thank You for the reply. I hoping since you said it's common that it's not too expensive to fix. It's too cold here to do it myself, I have the tools but no garage. At my age, I'm kinda all done doing major repairs. lol especially in the cold. However thanks again.
There are some good videos out there on how to do it yourself. As mentioned, it's time consuming. If you aren't going to do it yourself, use an indy shop vs a dealer. It will likely be about 3-5 hours labor for a shop that has done the job before. While the intake is off, have them do new plugs and upper and lower intake seals and maybe a PCV valve while they are in there and have all the crap out of the way. All that needs to be removed anyway, so there shouldn't be any additional labor.

<D>
dmulk is offline   Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mopar World Headquarters, Center Line, MI
Posts: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdillinger1934 View Post
I have a 2012 jeep wrangler sport unlimited.
last evening is started running hot. I had to pull over to let it cool down to get home. look at it this morning and there was a puddle of antifreeze under the transmission. When I added coolant (not started) you could hear the leak above the tranny, it was leaking as fast as I poured it in. Any Ideas? I had to have it towed to the garage didn't even start it. hoping a hose somewhere above the trans blew. I'm hoping it's not a head gasket as it seems to leak above to trans.
Thank you for your replies
Hi jdillinger1934,
Are you considering having your dealer look into this? If so, please keep us updated. We would be happy to connect you with a Case Specialist to assist if needed. Our team is available via PM.
Alex
JeepCares
JeepCares is online now   Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Thread Starter
  #8
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
coolant leak

Thanks for your reply Yes, it was an oil cooler. I took the jeep to an independent shop that works on 4 Wheel drive vehicles, who is very reasonable and does quality work. The problem the dealer was the only one who had the part, and they mark up their parts like 125% or more and it really drove up the price. My mechanic checked for warranties, recalls, and defects. My wrangler is almost 8 years old and is in near showroom condition. unfortunately, none of the pre-mentioned applied. This is the first major repair since I've owned it (5)years so I guess I can't complain.
dmulk likes this.
jdillinger1934 is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
dmulk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 134
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdillinger1934 View Post
Thanks for your reply Yes, it was an oil cooler. I took the jeep to an independent shop that works on 4 Wheel drive vehicles, who is very reasonable and does quality work. The problem the dealer was the only one who had the part, and they mark up their parts like 125% or more and it really drove up the price. My mechanic checked for warranties, recalls, and defects. My wrangler is almost 8 years old and is in near showroom condition. unfortunately, none of the pre-mentioned applied. This is the first major repair since I've owned it (5)years so I guess I can't complain.
Nice to know it is sorted!

One thing to check/confirm: There was a mid-model revision on the Oil Cooler part. The 2012 had a different oil cooler and takes a different filter than the same engine a couple years newer. The newer oil coolers/filters are compatible with the 2012 but you can't mix and match a filter from the newer oil cooler with the older oil cooler and visa-versa. You need to confirm WHICH oil cooler/filter combo the indie shop used. If they used the newer one, then make sure to visually note this on the filter housing or your sound dampener so if you ever take it in to someone for work (oil change, etc) they will know that matching by VIN will no longer give them the right part.

Here's a great video on the topic:


Just OOC, how many miles do you have on your 2012?

Cheers!
<D>
JHD1827 likes this.
dmulk is offline   Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:34 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
coolant leak

Yes, my mechanic did match the cooler with the VIN no. he's very good I'd recommend him to anyone with a 4x4. Very thorough. As for the miles on my wrangler, it's a little over 107,000
jdillinger1934 is offline   Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	gallaxly j7 pics 179.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	4185843[/ATTACH] this is the culprit I hope the downloaded ok
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gallaxly j7 pics 178.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	4185845  
jdillinger1934 is offline   Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
I am having my Oil Cooler replaced now to similar issues. Dealer said its a "big job."
My car when in fri at 12pm and hoping to get back by Tuesday. Glad I have the extended warranty. Cooler is being done today.
Dealer here in AL did mine while I waited. Took maybe 3 hours. (also 2012 JKU with nearly 140K miles)
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 02:36 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 9
coolant leak

no way I'd take it to the dealer here NH unless it was a recall or warranty.
It would have cost me A lot more. The dealer near me is a total ripoff. Try's to sell you stuff you don't need and charges twice as much.
jdillinger1934 is offline   Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:06 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Bobnh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Lebanon NH
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdillinger1934 View Post
no way I'd take it to the dealer here NH unless it was a recall or warranty.

It would have cost me A lot more. The dealer near me is a total ripoff. Try's to sell you stuff you don't need and charges twice as much.
You need to find Lambert CDJR in Claremont NH. Best dealership I have ever dealt with, period. I trust them for anything I have them do and they do not ever push needless upcharges.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Bobnh is offline   Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #15
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssinga View Post
Dealer here in AL did mine while I waited. Took maybe 3 hours. (also 2012 JKU with nearly 140K miles)

Mine took longer due to part not in stock. Now I am getting a P0128 code on the Thermostat


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ssinga likes this.

__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.