Cost,,,,,,, - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
willee51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PEOPLES REPUBLIC of Forest, VA
Posts: 1,132
Angry Cost,,,,,,,

Rugged Ridge Billet Grille Inserts in Black
Rugged Ridge 11401.30 - Rugged Ridge Billet Grille Inserts in Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

$159.99 and they are mostly plastic What the Hell!

__________________
2012 (on the road again)
willee51 is offline   Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ny
Posts: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by willee51 View Post
Rugged Ridge Billet Grille Inserts in Black
Rugged Ridge 11401.30 - Rugged Ridge Billet Grille Inserts in Black for 07-12 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

$159.99 and they are mostly plastic What the Hell!


I just got the Drake billet Aluminum from them $80. There was another brand for $5 more also.

deepbluerubi is online now   Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Mile high Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
isitme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 340
go to amazon and get the mesh one for $30. I sent the drakes back.
__________________
Cliff

2012 JKU Rubicon Sahara Tan
3.5" Rock Krawler Max Travel, Teraflex- Elka Shocks
34.6" General Red Letters on Procomp 7069's
isitme is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-05-2011, 08:30 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
I wouldn't getem--

They haven't helped my gas mileage one bit !!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TroutSafari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 407
Lets see.. 30K for the Jeep and close to 20 K so far on Mods and I am just getting started. Your right, 150 for my grill was over the top.
I guess you wouldnt approve of the 400 I am spending just on custom black bolts and caps just to change out the stainless ones on my fenders.

I happen to love my grill inserts.

TroutSafari is offline   Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
El Gringo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Buda, TX
Posts: 771
Srsly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSafari View Post
Lets see.. 30K for the Jeep and close to 20 K so far on Mods and I am just getting started. Your right, 150 for my grill was over the top.
I guess you wouldnt approve of the 400 I am spending just on custom black bolts and caps just to change out the stainless ones on my fenders.

I happen to love my grill inserts.

WTF?!!!!1!!11!!!one!

A fool and his money truly are parted quickly.

I do not know if you are a fool or just have more money than sense, but seriously? I know all of my mods are not for functionality and some are purely for looks, but to each his own...
__________________
1977 CJ5
El Gringo is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TroutSafari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
WTF?!!!!1!!11!!!one!

A fool and his money truly are parted quickly.

I do not know if you are a fool or just have more money than sense, but seriously? I know all of my mods are not for functionality and some are purely for looks, but to each his own...
Looking back I have not seen where I called you a fool for thinking a Christmas tree air freshener hanging from your shifter, big fuzzy dice and re-used orange shag carpet on you dash are quality mods. You should practice the words you preach, "to each his own".

People can spend 10K taking there family to Disney for a week. Snow machines, boats, landscaping, swimming pools.... nothing in life is free, but if you work hard you can enjoy the fruits of your labor. Nothing wrong with that.

So with all the hobbies in the world or things people can spend there money on, you somehow find it strange that on a Jeep forum where people talk about there Jeeps and mods on a daily basis, someone is spending there hard earned money on there jeep and talking about it..

here is a quote you should pay attention to:

The bitter taste of cheap quality lingers long after the sweet smell of cheap price.
TroutSafari is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Ya know TS--


Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSafari View Post
Looking back I have not seen where I called you a fool for thinking a Christmas tree air freshener hanging from your shifter, big fuzzy dice and re-used orange shag carpet on you dash are quality mods. You should practice the words you preach, "to each his own".

People can spend 10K taking there family to Disney for a week. Snow machines, boats, landscaping, swimming pools.... nothing in life is free, but if you work hard you can enjoy the fruits of your labor. Nothing wrong with that.

So with all the hobbies in the world or things people can spend there money on, you somehow find it strange that on a Jeep forum where people talk about there Jeeps and mods on a daily basis, someone is spending there hard earned money on there jeep and talking about it..

here is a quote you should pay attention to:

The bitter taste of cheap quality lingers long after the sweet smell of cheap price.
I think you're gonna be a great poster on this forum, cause you speak--TRUTH and common sense !!

Keepyerpowderdry

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
cavsvet74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Naperville
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Ya know TS--




I think you're gonna be a great poster on this forum, cause you speak--TRUTH and common sense !!

Keepyerpowderdry

JIMBO
I'll second that.
__________________
Determination: the feeling you get right before you do something incredibly stupid.
cavsvet74 is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
El Gringo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Buda, TX
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSafari

Looking back I have not seen where I called you a fool for thinking a Christmas tree air freshener hanging from your shifter, big fuzzy dice and re-used orange shag carpet on you dash are quality mods. You should practice the words you preach, "to each his own".

People can spend 10K taking there family to Disney for a week. Snow machines, boats, landscaping, swimming pools.... nothing in life is free, but if you work hard you can enjoy the fruits of your labor. Nothing wrong with that.

So with all the hobbies in the world or things people can spend there money on, you somehow find it strange that on a Jeep forum where people talk about there Jeeps and mods on a daily basis, someone is spending there hard earned money on there jeep and talking about it..

here is a quote you should pay attention to:

The bitter taste of cheap quality lingers long after the sweet smell of cheap price.
I do not mean to infer that you are a fool. I specifically stated that. I don't have any of those mods you listed, but understand where you going with it. I also understand that people can spend (to me) outrageous amounts on things that cause them pleasure. I assure you that I work hard for my money. To me, there is no bigger thrill than saving lives. I love being a paramedic so much that I am working two full time jobs. That's 48+ hours on at a time with 24-48hours off. I truly appreciate every cent I make. This is why I look to make my dollar go as far as possible.
I wasn't mocking your $20,000+ you spent modifying your Jeep. What I was shocked at is that you would spend $400 on black bolts. I don't think it's quite a steal, but it is definitely a crime.
As stated, to each his own. I will go my way with my hard earned money and you can go yours.
__________________
1977 CJ5
El Gringo is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
EAD Offroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 811
Without getting in the form vs function debate (each to his own) give some of the fine Rugged Ridge vendors who advertise on the forum a chance to quote you guys. We have that same product listed for $20 less and that's before the forum PM price haggling starts

Rugged Ridge Jeep JK Grille Inserts
__________________
Join us on for special giveaways
EAD Offroad is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TroutSafari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
I do not mean to infer that you are a fool. I specifically stated that. I don't have any of those mods you listed, but understand where you going with it. I also understand that people can spend (to me) outrageous amounts on things that cause them pleasure. I assure you that I work hard for my money. To me, there is no bigger thrill than saving lives. I love being a paramedic so much that I am working two full time jobs. That's 48+ hours on at a time with 24-48hours off. I truly appreciate every cent I make. This is why I look to make my dollar go as far as possible.
I wasn't mocking your $20,000+ you spent modifying your Jeep. What I was shocked at is that you would spend $400 on black bolts. I don't think it's quite a steal, but it is definitely a crime.
As stated, to each his own. I will go my way with my hard earned money and you can go yours.

What you have to understand is the cost of anyone's mods is irrelevant. It does not matter if it is $10.00 or 500 and it really does not matter if anyone else approves of what you have done. Its your jeep. I appreciate things people do to there jeep that makes them happy. I especially like the ones that are out of the box, unique and original. It may not be my style, but I appreciate someone taking a chance to be different.

I personally like quality products and attention to details. I installed my fender flares because they were the ones I liked the most from the moment I saw them. Everything I have added to this jeep has been painted to match or black. So for me when I saw those big Stainless steel screws in the pockets of the fenders reflecting sunshine like 25 monster headlights per wheel, I knew I had to find a solution. this may not concern other folks, but it bothers me everyday. So the cost to change this and do it correctly is irrelevant.

I have searched every type of black bolt I could find. I researched black chroming and did some test bolts only to determine I didn't like the shine same as regular chrome. I wanted a bolt and washer that was black yet would not rust or discolor due to the elements. Look at your tail light bolts holding your lens on. It maybe does not bother you if they rust, but it bothers me. I didn't want this to happen to my fender bolts on the body.

So, I looked at Harley's and the caps they use on there blacked out bolts. I researched my best options to custom make some washers and what choices I had to find a quality bolt in the size to attach the fender and a cap to finish it off.

One of my most important mod was the final detail of my fenders to eliminate the dreaded chrome look to the bolts.. It will be completed soon.
This may seem silly, or foolish to you. But it is what I would like.
TroutSafari is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
cu in oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Coast of Massachusetts
Posts: 633
I like the way "T S" thinks and posts. I went and spent some dollars for 7 plastic inserts because I liked the way they look.

At first they were simply trim bits....but then JIMBOX and Trout informed me they help kill mutant insects.

Later I discovered that they also help with increasing the pull of gravity and keep the price of green tea in balance with the price of New Zeland Wool. WHO KNEW?
__________________
'11 Sahara Tan Sport "S" H/T 6spd
cu in oz is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Man, college was never like this !


Quote:
Originally Posted by cu in oz View Post
I like the way "T S" thinks and posts. I went and spent some dollars for 7 plastic inserts because I liked the way they look.

At first they were simply trim bits....but then JIMBOX and Trout informed me they help kill mutant insects.

Later I discovered that they also help with increasing the pull of gravity and keep the price of green tea in balance with the price of New Zeland Wool. WHO KNEW?
JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
In a trailer in the woods

WF Supporting Member
 
Barrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Greater downtown Brownsville,Kentucky
Posts: 70,506
Send a message via AIM to Barrie Send a message via Yahoo to Barrie
I see some forum vacations in the future if this pile on doesn't end.
__________________
Skillfully disguised as a responsible adult


Barrie is online now   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #16
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,968
Getting back to grill inserts. Anything other than stainless steel, or 100% plastic, is going to rust. I don't particularly care for plastic so stainless steel wins out. Black powder coated of course. I believe metal crafters make the best ones out there. Some might say a bit pricey but I say I never have to worry about it cracking or rusting. Just like anything else, quality is quality. Spending upteen thousands on a Rubi and mods; what's a few hundred in the scheme of things. As always, get what you like and what fits yout needs.
kik is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #17
Mile high Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
isitme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSafari View Post
Lets see.. 30K for the Jeep and close to 20 K so far on Mods and I am just getting started. Your right, 150 for my grill was over the top.
I guess you wouldnt approve of the 400 I am spending just on custom black bolts and caps just to change out the stainless ones on my fenders.

I happen to love my grill inserts.

I like the rack, is that a Gobi?
__________________
Cliff

2012 JKU Rubicon Sahara Tan
3.5" Rock Krawler Max Travel, Teraflex- Elka Shocks
34.6" General Red Letters on Procomp 7069's
isitme is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #18
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
ninersgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: dupont, wa
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSafari View Post
Looking back I have not seen where I called you a fool for thinking a Christmas tree air freshener hanging from your shifter, big fuzzy dice and re-used orange shag carpet on you dash are quality mods. You should practice the words you preach, "to each his own".

People can spend 10K taking there family to Disney for a week. Snow machines, boats, landscaping, swimming pools.... nothing in life is free, but if you work hard you can enjoy the fruits of your labor. Nothing wrong with that.

So with all the hobbies in the world or things people can spend there money on, you somehow find it strange that on a Jeep forum where people talk about there Jeeps and mods on a daily basis, someone is spending there hard earned money on there jeep and talking about it..

here is a quote you should pay attention to:

The bitter taste of cheap quality lingers long after the sweet smell of cheap price.
AMEN BROTHER! There are worse hobbies than being a die hard Jeeper that is proud to invest money in your fine machine. AND if you are gonna do it DO IT RIGHT no matter the cost or dont bother doing it at all
ninersgal is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #19
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TroutSafari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by isitme View Post
I like the rack, is that a Gobi?
It is a Garvin, but I think both companies make a very good rack system.
TroutSafari is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Doubledown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 58
Hey TS, did you check mcmaster.com? McMaster-carr has just about any kind of hardware you can think of. I know they sell black bolts. I think they call it black oxide finish.
Doubledown is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #21
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TroutSafari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledown View Post
Hey TS, did you check mcmaster.com? McMaster-carr has just about any kind of hardware you can think of. I know they sell black bolts. I think they call it black oxide finish.
Thanks for the lead, I will check there site out. Black Oxide bolts will not work. They are not rated to be exposed to the weather. But I will check out the site anyway, one can never have to many hardware outlets.
TroutSafari is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #22
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 16,970
This is why we love DIY mods start gettin creative.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - https://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:16 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Al Nebular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: N. Delaware
Posts: 80
Upgrades are good

You are spending $400 for bolts ??? You are a fool




Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSafari View Post
Lets see.. 30K for the Jeep and close to 20 K so far on Mods and I am just getting started. Your right, 150 for my grill was over the top.
I guess you wouldnt approve of the 400 I am spending just on custom black bolts and caps just to change out the stainless ones on my fenders.

I happen to love my grill inserts



__________________
2012 JK Sport S
Al Nebular is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
El Gringo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Buda, TX
Posts: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nebular View Post
You are spending $400 for bolts ??? You are a fool
Shhh.

You should have read what I said earlier. Go ahead, read the entire thread.

Hope you have your flame-suit on, nobody else seems to think this.

-Best of Luck
__________________
1977 CJ5
El Gringo is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #25
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TroutSafari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nebular View Post
You are spending $400 for bolts ??? You are a fool
Thank You Al... You have a very nice colored Jeep there in your Avatar.
TroutSafari is offline   Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:16 PM   #26
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TroutSafari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Man, college was never like this !




JIMBO

Good point. I never thought about it that way. No matter how many drinks or games of quarters, at least you were dealing with folks that were somewhat educated.

We sometimes need to remember on a forum its not Chip Foose we are exchanging ideas with.
TroutSafari is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #27
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 16,970
In all seriousness, you could take your bolts and washer out, poke holes in a cardboard box, push them through. hit them with self etching primer, plack high quality spray paint, and clear coat. and they will be rust proof for 10 years, if you do a good job. and you have a head start on me, most of my bolts were already 12 years old and starting to rust. I have done probably over half of the exterior bolts, screws, etc on my TJ. another good option that is more expensive but even more effective would be to spray with a rust converter and then bedliner. still gona be alot less then 400. But as you mentioned, its all comes down to it being your jeep and your mods. And I can see why you would want specialized bolts that would be black and not rust without the paint aspect. And if you have the money to spend, then a jeep is a good place to spend it. Personally I have to make good use of the money I do have at this stage of the game. But weve all been there.

Eitherway, goodluck with whatever you do, and post some pics of these bolts when you finally get them/install them
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - https://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:13 AM   #28
Rock-Rubber

WF Supporting Member
 
GoldenSahara00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central PA
Posts: 16,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nebular View Post
You are spending $400 for bolts ??? You are a fool
Your a fool.

1) Barrie now has full rights to kick your can.
2) You drive a 2012
3) Your calling someone else a fool. "Takes one to know one"
4) I don't like you now. Nice going.
__________________
Ryan - A good eye, a light foot, and a smart rig.
Bolt-ons are boring
AMERICAN JEEPER
My Build - https://www.wranglerforum.com/f118/pr...a00-74622.html
Rausch Creek Trip: 2014 Trip Coming Soon
GoldenSahara00 is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #29
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
TroutSafari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
In all seriousness, you could take your bolts and washer out, poke holes in a cardboard box, push them through. hit them with self etching primer, plack high quality spray paint, and clear coat. and they will be rust proof for 10 years, if you do a good job. and you have a head start on me, most of my bolts were already 12 years old and starting to rust. I have done probably over half of the exterior bolts, screws, etc on my TJ. another good option that is more expensive but even more effective would be to spray with a rust converter and then bedliner. still gona be alot less then 400. But as you mentioned, its all comes down to it being your jeep and your mods. And I can see why you would want specialized bolts that would be black and not rust without the paint aspect. And if you have the money to spend, then a jeep is a good place to spend it. Personally I have to make good use of the money I do have at this stage of the game. But weve all been there.

Eitherway, goodluck with whatever you do, and post some pics of these bolts when you finally get them/install them
You are correct. The box method is actually what I am doing to many bolts on the rack, winch mount bolts, frame bolts etc. We spend so much time picking out the correct bumpers and accessories that we should not ever forget the bolts that hold them on. They are always usually the first things to rust and then they spread there brown cancer.

the bolts on the fenders I wanted a different look. Like I mentioned I wanted a finished "cap" on the bolt and this style bumper actually has a large washer. There is actually 3 components, the Bolt, washer and the custom cap.

The great news is the Grill inserts have no bolts and the black aluminum just does not rust. Its a great looking, low maintenance and easy to install mod.
TroutSafari is offline   Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
Al Nebular's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: N. Delaware
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 View Post
Your a fool.

1) Barrie now has full rights to kick your can.
2) You drive a 2012
3) Your calling someone else a fool. "Takes one to know one"
4) I don't like you now. Nice going.
You're right, I should learn to keep my opinions to myself.

__________________
2012 JK Sport S
Al Nebular is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about cost of installion of a lift kit BigMike YJ General Discussion Forum 7 05-28-2006 01:29 AM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.