Cross Country JKU Trip - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree125Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-07-2019, 02:08 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Diamondce3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 76
Cross Country JKU Trip

Good Morning,

Im planning a cross country & back trip this fall. Im starting in DC, moving up to NY then taking the northern route from NY to Seattle, Washington. After spending a few days there, ill drive in a South East direction ending in New Orleans.

Just looking for:

- Items that are must have during the trip (will be staying at hotels so no camping supplies)

- Places of interest to see

- I will be hitting a few Jeep Honor Badge Trails

Thanks...

2qik2see likes this.
Diamondce3 is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:57 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 2,804
I’ll start:

Any maintenance that’s due or even close to being due, have it done ahead of time (but not at the last minute); also lube anything with a zerk fitting.

Supplies wise, you’ll be taking some long and isolated stretches of highway so emergency supplies, flares etc. Also a compressor.

For the same reason, if you don’t already have satellite radio, get it to alleviate boredom.

Jeeps and National Parks go hand in hand, visit some!

Some nice scenic byways in PA/OH Amish country, beats the interstate.

The Northwest is beautiful, route 12 from Yakima going west, the Columbia river valley, Mount Hood are worth the trip. I’ve stayed at Timberline Lodge, great place.

Going back, Colorado (Ouray/Silverton/Durango), the Grand Canyon and the Four Corners area then east through NM and TX would be a beautiful ride.

__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

Other rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2016 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is online now   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:08 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Diamondce3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
Iíll start:

Any maintenance thatís due or even close to being due, have it done ahead of time (but not at the last minute); also lube anything with a zerk fitting.

Supplies wise, youíll be taking some long and isolated stretches of highway so emergency supplies, flares etc. Also a compressor.

For the same reason, if you donít already have satellite radio, get it to alleviate boredom.

Jeeps and National Parks go hand in hand, visit some!

Some nice scenic byways in PA/OH Amish country, beats the interstate.

The Northwest is beautiful, route 12 from Yakima going west, the Columbia river valley, Mount Hood are worth the trip. Iíve stayed at Timberline Lodge, great place.

Going back, Colorado (Ouray/Silverton/Durango), the Grand Canyon and the Four Corners area then east through NM and TX would be a beautiful ride.
Points well taken and thanks.

I do remain skeptical on the sirius XM radio. Had it as a trial for 90 days from the dealership and though good sirius would not stop calling me after the 90 days, i mean like a hundred calls plus ive been told it is difficult to get out of the service if they have your cc info.

All supplies check...

Looking forward to taking some scenic back roading...
Diamondce3 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-07-2019, 05:29 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Main Line Willys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 1,104
Other than keeping up with routine maintainance, I would verify your jack is in operable condition. I always bring papertowel and glass cleaner plus a quart of motor oil. I check the oil every morning during long road trips.

Most important. Start a thread documenting your trip with lots of pics of your Jeep exploring beautiful America.
2qik2see and Diamondce3 like this.
__________________
Ben
Currently in the stable
2018 JKU Willys W Gobi 6spd
2018 WK2 High Altitude Bright White 3.0 Diesel
2014 JKU Sport S Anvil
2004 TJ Rubicon Light Khaki
Main Line Willys is online now   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:43 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Diamondce3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwolfjr View Post
Other than keeping up with routine maintainance, I would verify your jack is in operable condition. I always bring papertowel and glass cleaner plus a quart of motor oil. I check the oil every morning during long road trips.

Most important. Start a thread documenting your trip with lots of pics of your Jeep exploring beautiful America.
Glass cleaner is one i wasnt thinking about. Check on the jack. Great idea on the thread. I was thinking about doing something for youtube but WF might be a better idea.

Thanks
2qik2see likes this.
Diamondce3 is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:45 AM   #6
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 19,816
two credit cards or debit cards and make sure your cc company knows you are traveling so your card does not get shut down for suspicious activity. Also agree XM radio a must and it is easy to cancel now and you do not need to give them your CC you can have them bill you. Best thing I have ever bought for traveling (I travel by jeep a lot) is an ARB 50qt fridge. Bring some camping stuff at least a light tent and sleeping bag(s) or you will miss the best part of the adventure. Not sure what kind of tires you have but if you are running big mudders consider finding a set of OEM takeoffs just for the trip. A 255/80-17 tire will get you thru most any trails you are going to be doing anyway and lots more comfortable and better mpg etc.
Diamondce3 likes this.
__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:18 AM
Thread Starter
  #7
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Diamondce3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
two credit cards or debit cards and make sure your cc company knows you are traveling so your card does not get shut down for suspicious activity. Also agree XM radio a must and it is easy to cancel now and you do not need to give them your CC you can have them bill you. Best thing I have ever bought for traveling (I travel by jeep a lot) is an ARB 50qt fridge. Bring some camping stuff at least a light tent and sleeping bag(s) or you will miss the best part of the adventure. Not sure what kind of tires you have but if you are running big mudders consider finding a set of OEM takeoffs just for the trip. A 255/80-17 tire will get you thru most any trails you are going to be doing anyway and lots more comfortable and better mpg etc.
CC's covered, I travel alot both in and outside the country...Still a bit freaked about XM, I added an amazon fire tv stick to my WRA-I207 restyle to listen to comedy shows and music plus I have the apple carplay, just dont want those damn sirius people to call me like crazy again.

I have the ARB 37qt on order gen II, I have my pack with sleeping bag and small tent just in case i decide to stay out a few nights.

Ive got some 35 inch Nitto Ridge Grapplers on there. Just put them on so only have about 600 miles on them and just re-geared to 4.56 so wanted to do the initial 500 miles re-oil.

Thanks and keep them coming want to make sure im as well prepared as possible. Appreciate the feedback.
Diamondce3 is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:13 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Old Syko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,325
I too travel a lot and therefore keep my rig 100% road ready at all times because the notion may hit and off we go at the drop of a hat. I carry a good tool assortment along with a tire repair kit, fuses, electrical tape, transfer case bushings, etc. Current road atlas. There are places you will lose service. I've actually used mine a couple times because I like to get away from major thoroughfares on such trips. Plan on credit cards being compromised from use at fuel stations. Mine get hit nearly every trip. Carry plenty of cash and use it as much as you can. Especially in out of the way places. I always carry protection and we're not talking condoms here! You're going to be on the road a while so if you use any meds take plenty and keep it in multiple places just like your cash. Take a backup charger or power pack for your phone. At least 2 pairs of glasses (if you use them) and 2 pairs of sunglasses. Jumper cables or a boost pack. Especially if you're running a fridge. It's good to help others also. I seem to run into folks needing help on every trip and I get a kick out of helping them out.

As for SiriusXM, I have it and use it a lot but I also have around 18 gig of music and other BS on my head unit that lets me choose what I prefer at any time.

I don't carry camping gear since I use hotels almost exclusively but I have spent some nights sleeping in the back with some blankets and my favorite pillow so definitely take your favorite pillow. I usually consider a hotel without room service to be as close to camping as I get.
Diamondce3 likes this.
Old Syko is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
jku007fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: South Florida
Posts: 466
I would also add couple of LED flashlights if not already mentioned.

Google maps allows to download maps for offline use, great for areas without coverage. Last year I drove all over BC and Alberta Canada and it worked great.

Make sure to make a stop in Montana, Glacier National Park is a must.
Shadowmaker and Diamondce3 like this.
__________________
_____________________________________

2017 White JKU Rubicon Recon, Manual
JKS JSPEC J Konnect 3.5" Lift
FOX 2.0 Performance Series Shocks Reservoir
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ 35's
jku007fl is online now   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
gouranga56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 440
Get a GPS beacon. I got this one: https://www.cabelas.com/product/ACR-...gMfw&gclsrc=ds You never know, but if stuff goes sideways and all else fails in the middle of nowhere, you will be able to get help.


Someone mentioned the "protection". I would second but also, know the laws where you are going. Many states like Illinois, NY, and well DC, lol Have very heavy restrictions. A Felony is a horrible way to end a trip.



One places to go, if you go that far south. Sedona, AZ has some AWESOME trails (profile pic is on Outlaw trail).
Diamondce3 likes this.
gouranga56 is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
USStrongman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: West Texas & Yellowstone
Posts: 1,898
Your windshield is almost guaranteed to take shit somewhere along the way. Know your insurance policy when it comes to glass. Safelite is nearly everywhere in the US. Fast, always has product in stock.

Places to go? Man, that's a wide open question. Buy a year long national park pass. I bought one so I could travel freely in WY, ID, MT, NM, CO last year.

Montana - Glacier NP, Kalispell/Whitefish. Beartooth Pass. Named Americas best driving road. Stunning is an understatement

Wyoming - NE entrance to Yellowstone and drive out the west. Jackson Hole.

Idaho - Snake River Canyon, Craters of the Moon, Hells Canyon.

Oregon - The drive from Astoria to Seaside is awesome. Mt Hood, Bend Nat'l Rec area, Crater Lake.

Washington - Mt Rainier loop/Paradise, Mt St Helens is unlike anything I have ever seen destruction wise. Take a ferry from either Seattle or north about 30 minutes from Mukilteo (my preference) to Port Townsend and then on to the Olympic Nat'l Forest and Hurricane Ridge. Mt Baker. Snoqualmie Pass/Leavenworth/Stevens Pass loop from downtown Seattle.

Colorado - Durango/Silverton/Ouray/Telluride. Estes Park.

New Mexico - Cloudcroft. The drive between Santa Fe and Taos and looping over to Angel Fire is awesome.

Arizona - Mogollon rim, Payson, Strawberry all to the north. To the south, Bisbee, Tombstone, Yuma and the El Camino Del Diablo trail, Organ Pipe Cactus preserve, White Mountains.
__________________
2016 JKU Oscar Mike in Granite Crystal (RIP)
2017 JKU Winter Edition in Chief
USStrongman is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,254
@USStrongman listed a few of my favorites ---- I'd detour up into the Canadian Rockies after Glacier too. Banff to Jasper is a remarkable ride.

Now, what to bring.... ....I've done the cross country rides quite a few times. Back in the day it was on motorcycles. And I just brought a credit card, bottle of Scotch, and a few condoms...
USStrongman and Diamondce3 like this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouranga56 View Post
Someone mentioned the "protection". I would second but also, know the laws where you are going. Many states like Illinois, NY, and well DC, lol Have very heavy restrictions. A Felony is a horrible way to end a trip.
^ this. If packing, NY, IL, MA, NJ and DC are drive-through states. When I drive from CT to VT I cross MA driving close to the speed limit* and don't stop, not even for gas. So plan your trip around that.

Also getting a Utah permit is a good idea.

And if the OP's not into packing, then that's all moot.


Also, some states have more restrictive laws around vehicle mods, for example PA and VT don't like tires wider than the fenders, etc.


Finally, packing a second ID, preferably federal (passport, Global Entry card)isn't a bad idea.


Great thread, taking notes, the wife and I have been talking about a cross country trip for years.


* actually driving the speed limit in Mass is suspicious!
Diamondce3 likes this.
__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

Other rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2016 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is online now   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #14
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 19,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
@USStrongman listed a few of my favorites ---- I'd detour up into the Canadian Rockies after Glacier too. Banff to Jasper is a remarkable ride.

Now, what to bring.... ....I've done the cross country rides quite a few times. Back in the day it was on motorcycles. And I just brought a credit card, bottle of Scotch, and a few condoms...
ditto. I have been nearly everywhere that matters west of the Mississippi (I ain't lying if it is somewhere that really matters I have been there on a motorcycle * disclaimer have not been to Alaska yet) and the Kananaskis highway is probably number 1 on the list and I have done the Beartooth highway perhaps 30 times on motorcycle, bicycle, running shoes jeeps and in sport cars and it is cool but not as cool as the Kananaskis highway.
Hilldweller and Diamondce3 like this.
__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #15
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 19,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by USStrongman View Post
Your windshield is almost guaranteed to take shit somewhere along the way. Know your insurance policy when it comes to glass. Safelite is nearly everywhere in the US. Fast, always has product in stock.

Places to go? Man, that's a wide open question. Buy a year long national park pass. I bought one so I could travel freely in WY, ID, MT, NM, CO last year.

Montana - Glacier NP, Kalispell/Whitefish. Beartooth Pass. Named Americas best driving road. Stunning is an understatement

Wyoming - NE entrance to Yellowstone and drive out the west. Jackson Hole.

Idaho - Snake River Canyon, Craters of the Moon, Hells Canyon.

Oregon - The drive from Astoria to Seaside is awesome. Mt Hood, Bend Nat'l Rec area, Crater Lake.

Washington - Mt Rainier loop/Paradise, Mt St Helens is unlike anything I have ever seen destruction wise. Take a ferry from either Seattle or north about 30 minutes from Mukilteo (my preference) to Port Townsend and then on to the Olympic Nat'l Forest and Hurricane Ridge. Mt Baker. Snoqualmie Pass/Leavenworth/Stevens Pass loop from downtown Seattle.

Colorado - Durango/Silverton/Ouray/Telluride. Estes Park.

New Mexico - Cloudcroft. The drive between Santa Fe and Taos and looping over to Angel Fire is awesome.

Arizona - Mogollon rim, Payson, Strawberry all to the north. To the south, Bisbee, Tombstone, Yuma and the El Camino Del Diablo trail, Organ Pipe Cactus preserve, White Mountains.

reading this post I realize how lucky I have been. I have been to every named place more than once some many times. I also realize I am old and have spent a lot of money on gas lol.
Diamondce3 likes this.
__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
reading this post I realize how lucky I have been. I have been to every named place more than once some many times. I also realize I am old and have spent a lot of money on gas lol.
93A and 742, criss-cross all the National Parks up there. Wildlife galore. So many grizzly bears and elk your head spins.

There's a dirt road just south of the Yellowstone south entrance too. The road runs all the way to Idaho and is gorgeous. It starts in a ranch.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/44.1...a=!4m2!4m1!3e0
Scenic North America. We're a lucky people.
Diamondce3 likes this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
SoDakSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Okieland
Posts: 2,117
If you are on I90 you will go through the black hills. Make sure to at least make the mount rushmore stop and depending on time there is some decent wheeling in the hills. Shortly after you get into wyoming you have devils tower as well.

Cell service in the dakotas , wyo, mont is sketchy at best in areas, so make sure you have backup music and maps like others have said.
Hilldweller and Diamondce3 like this.
SoDakSooner is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:00 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
USStrongman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: West Texas & Yellowstone
Posts: 1,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
reading this post I realize how lucky I have been. I have been to every named place more than once some many times. I also realize I am old and have spent a lot of money on gas lol.
That's awesome. I lived in Seattle for 20+ years and got out whenever I could. I didn't go into BC at all. Whistler, Jasper, mountains north of Vancouver in the Cypress Bowl area, Lake Louise and so many trails around Banff... For Washington, those are just the big highlights. I lived in Az for 5 years (I left out Window Rock in NE Az) and now in West Texas. There are still plenty of places I haven't been in the western US, but all of those bring fond memories.

Our trip for the Dalton Hwy next year is still on track. I will probably do the first half alone and my wife meet me in Alaska and come home with me. 6-7 weeks trip with our JKU and a teardrop. Planning it is almost as awesome as doing it. I work from home so as long as I have an internet connection, I'm good.
Hilldweller and Diamondce3 like this.
__________________
2016 JKU Oscar Mike in Granite Crystal (RIP)
2017 JKU Winter Edition in Chief
USStrongman is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:07 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,254
I made a slideshow of our first trip in our old JK. It was only a couple of days old when we embarked.

USStrongman and Diamondce3 like this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:11 AM   #20
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 19,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by USStrongman View Post
That's awesome. I lived in Seattle for 20+ years and got out whenever I could. I didn't go into BC at all. Whistler, Jasper, mountains north of Vancouver in the Cypress Bowl area, Lake Louise and so many trails around Banff... For Washington, those are just the big highlights. I lived in Az for 5 years (I left out Window Rock in NE Az) and now in West Texas. There are still plenty of places I haven't been in the western US, but all of those bring fond memories.

Our trip for the Dalton Hwy next year is still on track. I will probably do the first half alone and my wife meet me in Alaska and come home with me. 6-7 weeks trip with our JKU and a teardrop. Planning it is almost as awesome as doing it. I work from home so as long as I have an internet connection, I'm good.

I started traveling by motorcycle when I was 12 yoa to local places and by the time I was 16 had been to Yellowstone and GNP on motorcycles and when I turned 18 a buddy and jumped on Honda 750's and drove to Seattle then hit the coastal hwy and went all the way into Mexico. we carried a sleeping bag and a tarp. that was before the days of cell phones and CC so we carried cash. when we each got to the half way point on cash we turned around and headed home. It has been a sickness no doubt about it. The Dalton hwy is on my bucket list. I have an old drinking buddy that works in Deadhorse so I need to get up there before he retires.
__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:16 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
I started traveling by motorcycle when I was 12 yoa to local places and by the time I was 16 had been to Yellowstone and GNP on motorcycles and when I turned 18 a buddy and jumped on Honda 750's and drove to Seattle then hit the coastal hwy and went all the way into Mexico. we carried a sleeping bag and a tarp. that was before the days of cell phones and CC so we carried cash. when we each got to the half way point on cash we turned around and headed home. It has been a sickness no doubt about it. The Dalton hwy is on my bucket list. I have an old drinking buddy that works in Deadhorse so I need to get up there before he retires.
My first long ride was from south Florida to NY on a GS1100. Blue Ridge Parkway was cold and wet but you couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a month.
Stopped at Cape Canaveral on the way home to watch a shuttle launch. AF guards at the gate mistook me for some Brass and waved me in. It wasn't until I was at the shuttle assembly building that I realized I was where I shouldn't be and scrammed.
jadmt and Diamondce3 like this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 2,804
One more recommendation for the OP. It's about things he may want not to bring along. I see he's in law enforcement, I think he'll understand.

I'm referring to issues-related bumper stickers. This is a great, large and diverse country, and he'll be travelling in some of the most liberal and some of the most conservative states. And right now some folks are a little heated under the collar.

So personally I'd get rid of any sticker that could get in the way of a nice vacation and the opportunity to meet some great folks. Anything along the lines of:
  • Pro guns/anti guns
  • Elizabeth Warren 2020 / Trump 2020
  • Lock Her Up / Dump Trump
  • Pro Life / Pro Choice
  • Build the Wall / COEXIST

Regardless of one's opinions, waking up to 4 flat tires or getting into a bar fight don't make for a fun trip IMHO.
jadmt, AAONMS, Shadowmaker and 2 others like this.
__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

Other rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2016 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is online now   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #23
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 19,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
One more recommendation for the OP. It's about things he may want not to bring along. I see he's in law enforcement, I think he'll understand.

I'm referring to issues-related bumper stickers. This is a great, large and diverse country, and he'll be travelling in some of the most liberal and some of the most conservative states. And right now some folks are a little heated under the collar.

So personally I'd get rid of any sticker that could get in the way of a nice vacation and the opportunity to meet some great folks. Anything along the lines of:
  • Pro guns/anti guns
  • Elizabeth Warren 2020 / Trump 2020
  • Lock Her Up / Dump Trump
  • Pro Life / Pro Choice
  • Build the Wall / COEXIST

Regardless of one's opinions, waking up to 4 flat tires or getting into a bar fight don't make for a fun trip IMHO.
ditto.
Diamondce3 likes this.
__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 2,804
The wife and I had a great time in the Four Corners area 20 years back. We rented a Ford Explorer, I wanna go back with a Wrangler:
  • Santa Fe
  • Taos
  • La Garita caldera
  • Durango/Silverton/Ouray/Zion/Bryce Canyon/Red Rock state Park
  • Mesa Verde
  • Grand Canyon
  • Flagstaff & Sedona
  • Painted Desert
  • Meteor Crater

Almost forgot... Somewhere out west there's a place called Moab! I hear they like Jeeps over there.
Hilldweller and Diamondce3 like this.
__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

Other rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2016 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is online now   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
SwiftFF5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 84
40 plus years ago, I did a cross country trip by bicycle, now that I am getting close to retirement, perhaps I should revisit that trip in the Jeep. Have fun, this will be something that you will remember forever.
Diamondce3 likes this.
__________________
2015 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Baja Yellow
SwiftFF5 is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
gouranga56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
^ this. If packing, NY, IL, MA, NJ and DC are drive-through states. When I drive from CT to VT I cross MA driving close to the speed limit* and don't stop, not even for gas. So plan your trip around that.

Also getting a Utah permit is a good idea.

And if the OP's not into packing, then that's all moot.


Also, some states have more restrictive laws around vehicle mods, for example PA and VT don't like tires wider than the fenders, etc.


Finally, packing a second ID, preferably federal (passport, Global Entry card)isn't a bad idea.


Great thread, taking notes, the wife and I have been talking about a cross country trip for years.


* actually driving the speed limit in Mass is suspicious!

Definitely do the cross country trip. We did the NC to AZ one with me the wife and 5 kids. It was awesome. Great experience, living on the road, seeing the sights, doing some offroad in areas you never get to see typically. Hell once the cell signals died, and they had to talk to each other, the kids even got along.
Diamondce3 likes this.
gouranga56 is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeslandes View Post
The wife and I had a great time in the Four Corners area 20 years back. We rented a Ford Explorer, I wanna go back with a Wrangler:
  • Santa Fe
  • Taos
  • La Garita caldera
  • Durango/Silverton/Ouray/Zion/Bryce Canyon/Red Rock state Park
  • Mesa Verde
  • Grand Canyon
  • Flagstaff & Sedona
  • Painted Desert
  • Meteor Crater

Almost forgot... Somewhere out west there's a place called Moab! I hear they like Jeeps over there.
I'll add Bandolier National Monument to that list. Cool place.
Diamondce3 likes this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:07 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
razrrila99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 777
Just here to lay down some breadcrumbs so I can follow along the thread.

Thoughts like this is one of the biggest reasons I moved to Phoenix. Its a great staging area for the West US. Just need to get out and start living it.
Old Dogger and Diamondce3 like this.
__________________
2015 JKUR Hydro Blue
razrrila99 is offline   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 2,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouranga56 View Post
Definitely do the cross country trip. We did the NC to AZ one with me the wife and 5 kids. It was awesome. Great experience, living on the road, seeing the sights, doing some offroad in areas you never get to see typically. Hell once the cell signals died, and they had to talk to each other, the kids even got along.
The former governor of Maine (I think) after he left office took a year off, bought an R.V. and took the family on a yearlong trip to every U.S. state (I assume they didn't actually drive to Hawaii...)
They home schooled the kids for that year, having them write papers on the history, demographics, geography, geology, ecology and economy of each state they visited. Seriously solid parenting right there.
Hilldweller, AAONMS and Diamondce3 like this.
__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

Other rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2016 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is online now   Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:26 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
TakHardRock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: VA
Posts: 2,008
Sounds like a long and fun trip.
Diamondce3 likes this.

__________________
My Hard Rock Build
TakHardRock is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LJ & JKU Cross Country Family Trip laaryjc TJ General Discussion Forum 3 08-02-2018 10:16 PM
Cross-country trip in a Jeep Matador JK General Discussion Forum 38 06-11-2012 04:11 PM
Cross Country Trip in Wrangler pulisto Off-Topic 7 12-27-2010 12:59 PM
Planning cross country trip, got ????s monkers General Jeep Discussion 5 12-21-2010 01:49 AM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC