Differential oil change. To remove pumpkin covers or not. - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Hilldweller
  • 2 Post By Patofnaud
  • 1 Post By mx1791
  • 1 Post By Hilldweller
  • 1 Post By Hilldweller
  • 2 Post By RhinoSportJKU
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-18-2019, 10:06 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 85
Differential oil change. To remove pumpkin covers or not.

Hey all. Looking for some advice- Wondering if I should just drain the old fluid with the drain bolts, and refill? or should I pull pumpkin covers?

Jeep's a '17 w/ almost 50k mi. Never towed, but its climbed The Rockies several times as well as throughout Ca/Or/Wa so it's seen its fair share of high RPM driving, and mud.

In the past I always removed the pumpkin covers to change fluid, but they were older Jeeps and the seals were usually shot or on their way out anyway. But my current seals are in perfect condition.

__________________
'17 JK
mx1791 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,269
Pull the plugs and R&R the oil. If chunks of metal come out, well, you're still under warranty, right?
FLEX B likes this.

__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 533
+1 to what Bill said.

Use the plugs, hopefully they are magnetic and have held any grindings, if you see more than just breakin type filings, put the plugs back, see the dealer. Else, fill and go.

Dems the wonder of plugs.
FLEX B and mx1791 like this.
__________________
2005 TJ SE (Slow Edition) Silver Metallic, 2.4L DOHC w/6spd NSG370, 31x10.5x15, 2" TF coil spacers, D30/DM35 diffs. MC Trackbar. Bilstein shocks.
Patofnaud is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 85
Thanks guys. I'm really hoping the plugs got a magnet and its not on the pumpkin cover. Also hoping the oil isn't filled with chunks of metal lol.

I'm not even sure if I have a warranty anymore. I never got it serviced at the dealer, I do all maintenance. Not sure if they'll try voiding it for that reason. I try to keep all receipts for oil/filters etc but I def don't have every single receipt.
Hilldweller likes this.
__________________
'17 JK
mx1791 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx1791 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm really hoping the plugs got a magnet and its not on the pumpkin cover. Also hoping the oil isn't filled with chunks of metal lol.

I'm not even sure if I have a warranty anymore. I never got it serviced at the dealer, I do all maintenance. Not sure if they'll try voiding it for that reason. I try to keep all receipts for oil/filters etc but I def don't have every single receipt.
Which rear do you have?
If you have a factory LSD, expect some carnage in there at 50K miles. Chunks that you'll mistake for dimes at first. If they won't warranty it (they should), it's an upgrade opportunity.
I don't beat mine at all. FS roads, a few scrappy roads on my buddy's property. The rest is just local mud and snow ---- my LSD has crapped twice in the first 115,000 miles. I have MaxCare and it was covered.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:57 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 85
(oops double post)
__________________
'17 JK
mx1791 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:58 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Which rear do you have?
If you have a factory LSD, expect some carnage in there at 50K miles. Chunks that you'll mistake for dimes at first. If they won't warranty it (they should), it's an upgrade opportunity.
I don't beat mine at all. FS roads, a few scrappy roads on my buddy's property. The rest is just local mud and snow ---- my LSD has crapped twice in the first 115,000 miles. I have MaxCare and it was covered.

I've got open front + rear difs. I planned on putting an LSD in the rear, but I'd like to ride out the stock rear another year or so, if I can.

I'm surprised to hear yours has gone out twice.
I've had Jeeps with LSD/Vari-lok difs that held up to hardcore abuse on my part & worked great at keeping me unstuck in mud/snow (but I can't attest to their long term durability as I would sell the Jeep for another after a year or so.) I did an E-locker about 10 years ago and for what it cost vs. performance compared to LSD, I figured I'd just go LSD for this Jeep.

Any idea why you've had 2 fail if you don't beat on it? Nature of the beast, or Oem limited slip not very durable?
__________________
'17 JK
mx1791 is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:16 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx1791 View Post
I've got open front + rear difs. I planned on putting an LSD in the rear, but I'd like to ride out the stock rear another year or so, if I can.

I'm surprised to hear yours has gone out twice.
I've had Jeeps with LSD/Vari-lok difs that held up to hardcore abuse on my part & worked great at keeping me unstuck in mud/snow (but I can't attest to their long term durability as I would sell the Jeep for another after a year or so.) I did an E-locker about 10 years ago and for what it cost vs. performance compared to LSD, I figured I'd just go LSD for this Jeep.

Any idea why you've had 2 fail if you don't beat on it? Nature of the beast, or Oem limited slip not very durable?
The stock JK LSD is made out of hard cheese. I only keep it because it's under warranty.
If it ever becomes my money on the line I'll get a TrueTrac and declare victory.
mx1791 likes this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 85
Lol
__________________
'17 JK
mx1791 is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:12 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
kodgil58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: LOST IN NM
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Pull the plugs and R&R the oil. If chunks of metal come out, well, you're still under warranty, right?
What does "R&R the oil" mean?
kodgil58 is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodgil58 View Post
What does "R&R the oil" mean?
remove and replace
kodgil58 likes this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
kodgil58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: LOST IN NM
Posts: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
remove and replace
kodgil58 is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #13
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
remove and replace
And then it's time for more R&R
Hilldweller and kodgil58 like this.

RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC