Door Net for pet safety? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RhinoSportJKU
  • 1 Post By Blue Baby Sound
  • 1 Post By RhinoSportJKU
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-14-2019, 11:28 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Door Net for pet safety?

I just had my doors off for the first time yesterday, oh man why did I wait so long? Problem is, my dog (75lb lab) rides shotgun with me often. I went for a test drive around the block with him and even though I had 2 tight leashes and seatbelt through the harness, it still made me nervous.

I know I could get a tube door, and I still might, but I'm going to the beach in a couple months and don't want leave my full doors home, it's a 6 hour drive, and won't have room for another set of doors. What I'd love to find is a non-elastic net I can affix across the bottom half of the door opening, but nobody makes ones that I can find.

I've thought about trying to modify something like this or this but wondered if anyone else has come up with a pack-away solution for keeping your dog safe with the doors off.

Thanks!!!

JeepRook is offline   Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:05 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
ChuckNorrisYes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 212
Your best bet is probably the 2nd link with a bar through the hinges and an eye loop into one of the bolts on your windshield. It's a pretty big stretch as most people would go the doors route. Check out EAG doors, they are inexpensive and nice.

I traveled with my doors stored in the back and they didn't take up a horrendous amount of room. You could even just bring the front passenger on your trip.

ChuckNorrisYes is offline   Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,051
Check these guys out. When we watch our grand dog and take him out with the doors off I use their tether attached to his harness. The tether has a built in male tab that fits directly into the Jeep's seatbelt.

https://www.kurgo.com/dog-travel/
ATX14 likes this.
RhinoSportJKU is online now   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-15-2019, 10:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckNorrisYes View Post
Your best bet is probably the 2nd link with a bar through the hinges and an eye loop into one of the bolts on your windshield. It's a pretty big stretch as most people would go the doors route. Check out EAG doors, they are inexpensive and nice.

I traveled with my doors stored in the back and they didn't take up a horrendous amount of room. You could even just bring the front passenger on your trip.
I thought about just taking the passenger door. In fact if I could only buy a passenger door I would, but I've never seen single doors sold. I'll check out the EAG doors, maybe contact them see if they'll sell me just one door, hah.
JeepRook is offline   Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:26 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoSportJKU View Post
Check these guys out. When we watch our grand dog and take him out with the doors off I use their tether attached to his harness. The tether has a built in male tab that fits directly into the Jeep's seatbelt.

https://www.kurgo.com/dog-travel/
Thanks, but it makes me way too nervous even with 2 leashes as back-up, lol. Seat belts aren't tight unless they are pulled fast. He's a lab so likes to get his head out in the air.
JeepRook is offline   Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:40 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
ChuckNorrisYes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRook View Post
I thought about just taking the passenger door. In fact if I could only buy a passenger door I would, but I've never seen single doors sold. I'll check out the EAG doors, maybe contact them see if they'll sell me just one door, hah.
Several options, this is just one and it's a JL but its the style I have on my JKU.

https://www.amazon.com/EAG-Matrix-Tu...-1-spons&psc=1

Very reasonable price, I've been quite happy with quality.
ChuckNorrisYes is offline   Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 01:31 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Fantus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 381
Check out K9 American outfitters. Sorry I don’t know how to provide links. Great product!! Have a 55# lab/border collie mix Holds her safe & secure. Rather than attach to seat belt buckle this has many options with its screw lock caribiner. Can attach to anchor points ahead for child safety seat or around the seat belt itself. I use the seat belt method. Mine stay taut, I check very time I strap her in for the ride
Fantus33 is offline   Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRook View Post
Thanks, but it makes me way too nervous even with 2 leashes as back-up, lol. Seat belts aren't tight unless they are pulled fast. He's a lab so likes to get his head out in the air.
The tether has a tab on the end that connects directly to the seatbelt buckle. It isn't connected to the shoulder belt at all so you're not relying on the tensioner to kick in at all.

The other end of the tether has a carabiner that hooks directly into the sewn in loop on the back of the harness between the dog's shoulder blades. Our 90lb shepherd mix sits in the middle of the back seat. No front seat riding for a dog, it's not a good idea.

RhinoSportJKU is online now   Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
Professional Nap Taker

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 13,938
We use the Kurgo, fully extended our pup is right at the edge of the seat. We've done very aggressive trails this way with no issue.

Dogs are smart, they'll learn fast and hunker down when they need to

tgil likes this.
__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is online now   Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #10
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
We use the Kurgo, fully extended our pup is right at the edge of the seat. We've done very aggressive trails this way with no issue.

Dogs are smart, they'll learn fast and hunker down when they need to

Offroad, for sure. I'm not comfortable on the highway doing 70mph with the fur baby in the front seat with the doors off.
Blue Baby Sound likes this.
RhinoSportJKU is online now   Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:08 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoSportJKU View Post
The tether has a tab on the end that connects directly to the seatbelt buckle. It isn't connected to the shoulder belt at all so you're not relying on the tensioner to kick in at all.

The other end of the tether has a carabiner that hooks directly into the sewn in loop on the back of the harness between the dog's shoulder blades. Our 90lb shepherd mix sits in the middle of the back seat. No front seat riding for a dog, it's not a good idea.

Ahh, sorry I missed that detail. I didn't look at the site too long because another big part of wanting a net or some kind of barrier is the optics of safety to others. Also front seat is the only option as I'll have the rear seat removed, plus he's my road trip buddy. I'm still going to look into that buckling harness though, so thanks! Even with a tube door, I'll want a harness and it's definitely better than the one I have.
JeepRook is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
So I bought This Net. It was cheap and I figured if it didn't work as a door net it would still come in handy. It actually worked out quite well thanks to having attachment points in all the right places to make it pretty taut. I'll still avoid the highway probably, but this seems good enough to drive around town and around OBX.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

JeepRook is offline   Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:28 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Edit: Nevermind, got it to work. Thanks again all!
JeepRook is offline   Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,077
For those using Kurgo- PLEASE, please bear in mind that just because something says it attaches to the seatbelt, is "safe" etc. that very few of their products are tested. For best safety the only tested Kurgo harness is this one:
https://www.kurgo.com/dog-harnesses/...g-car-harness/
But I call total bullshit on the tether. It's CRAP. The metal pin is cheap as hell. It'll bend easily- I can do it by hand if that gives you an idea. What happens under load? I buy human-mountain climbing Drings for use with my dogs.
So many companies sell these $20 "safe leashes" or seat belt attachments with zero testing done. Any crap company can buy a $2 made in China clip and advertise it however they want. Or stick a seat belt clip on it. Doesn't mean it's safe.
The Sleepypod Click-It is one of the only crash tested harnesses out there. However they just don't fit my German Shepherd and aren't usable for hiking because they chafe. I use the Kurgo but with reservations.

JeepHerz is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC