Exactly one month old and 4,000 miles - LOVE! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,238
Exactly one month old and 4,000 miles - LOVE!

So I received my first ever Jeep JK (2-door) 2016 White Sport exactly 4 weeks ago. LOVE it!!

Context - As my company generally provides me a car, I haven't owned anything myself for 15+ years. If I needed a car and not in a company rental while at home (I travel a lot), I just borrowed wife's, kids, parents, Uber, shuttle, whatever.

Always wanted a Jeep. Don't ever remember driving one or even being in one.

After very frustratingly trying to buy a 2015, I just ordered a 2016. White, manual, only A/C and premium soft top added.

I LOVE it. It is by and large exactly what I expected. I just got back from road trip (Dallas to San Diego and back) so thought I'd share a few things,

Somewhat surprises (I never even test drove one):

-I expected it to be less refined. I thought it would be much louder (engine, road noise and wind noise). While certainly not quiet, I'm nicely surprised based on expectations. And that engine is pretty damn smooth and quiet by any measure.
-How little room is in the back with the rear seat in. But lots of room with it out (that rear seat might not make it back in any time soon).
-Better gas mileage than I thought. I often got 20+ on the highway.
-The manual is VERY, VERY easy to drive. And I haven't driven a manual in 25 years. Very pleased w/manual.
-How easy it is to take down the top. Once I read all windows had to be removed, I thought it would be a pain. I find it easy and do it regularly...very happy with that premium soft top.
-How good the handling is. I don't mean sports car handling, but in parking lots, parking, etc. It is small and easy to get around in.

Mod's and accessories,

-replaced the stock radio (Pioneer 4100nex) and all speakers. Amp w/subs going in soon (put the subs lower dash thanks to recommendations here) to not take up any space. (that base stock system is among the worse I've ever heard).
-Jeep JKU rear mat modified for the 2door and slush mats up front. Like them all.
-Jeep entry guards. I was scuffing up that white almost every time I got in.
-13" black antenna. That coat hanger was one of the first things to go. And being in Dallas, I noticed no reduction in reception.
-rear view mirror flip (best mod ever!)
-Grab handles (the knock off's on Amazon). Bitch to put in, but really like them.

Mod's and accessories coming soon,

-Keeping my eye out for black, Rubicon or other take-off's
-Ordered a custom grill (to cover the radiator). Wish I had it before road trip, that is going to be some work to clean
-TF leveling kit. Undecided if I'll tackle myself. Very possible.
-Receiver hitch and carry cage for tailgating and more storage.
-Backup camera

Some "friends" and even family (other than dad who seemed very happy I was buying something just for me and exactly what I wanted) thought I was an idiot. And why didn't I get an Acura, or if I wanted a Jeep a Grand Cherokee. Or even a truck. And no, it is not a mid-life crises thing. I'm too old for that. But it "fits" me very nicely. I like running and going to lake on weekends for long runs. I like tailgating and works nicely for that.

I just love it!!

Sdallnct is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
KinkyBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
So I received my first ever Jeep JK (2-door) 2016 White Sport exactly 4 weeks ago. LOVE it!!

Context - As my company generally provides me a car, I haven't owned anything myself for 15+ years. If I needed a car and not in a company rental while at home (I travel a lot), I just borrowed wife's, kids, parents, Uber, shuttle, whatever.

Always wanted a Jeep. Don't ever remember driving one or even being in one.

After very frustratingly trying to buy a 2015, I just ordered a 2016. White, manual, only A/C and premium soft top added.

I LOVE it. It is by and large exactly what I expected. I just got back from road trip (Dallas to San Diego and back) so thought I'd share a few things,

Somewhat surprises (I never even test drove one):

-I expected it to be less refined. I thought it would be much louder (engine, road noise and wind noise). While certainly not quiet, I'm nicely surprised based on expectations. And that engine is pretty damn smooth and quiet by any measure.
-How little room is in the back with the rear seat in. But lots of room with it out (that rear seat might not make it back in any time soon).
-Better gas mileage than I thought. I often got 20+ on the highway.
-The manual is VERY, VERY easy to drive. And I haven't driven a manual in 25 years. Very pleased w/manual.
-How easy it is to take down the top. Once I read all windows had to be removed, I thought it would be a pain. I find it easy and do it regularly...very happy with that premium soft top.
-How good the handling is. I don't mean sports car handling, but in parking lots, parking, etc. It is small and easy to get around in.

Mod's and accessories,

-replaced the stock radio (Pioneer 4100nex) and all speakers. Amp w/subs going in soon (put the subs lower dash thanks to recommendations here) to not take up any space. (that base stock system is among the worse I've ever heard).
-Jeep JKU rear mat modified for the 2door and slush mats up front. Like them all.
-Jeep entry guards. I was scuffing up that white almost every time I got in.
-13" black antenna. That coat hanger was one of the first things to go. And being in Dallas, I noticed no reduction in reception.
-rear view mirror flip (best mod ever!)
-Grab handles (the knock off's on Amazon). Bitch to put in, but really like them.

Mod's and accessories coming soon,

-Keeping my eye out for black, Rubicon or other take-off's
-Ordered a custom grill (to cover the radiator). Wish I had it before road trip, that is going to be some work to clean
-TF leveling kit. Undecided if I'll tackle myself. Very possible.
-Receiver hitch and carry cage for tailgating and more storage.
-Backup camera

Some "friends" and even family (other than dad who seemed very happy I was buying something just for me and exactly what I wanted) thought I was an idiot. And why didn't I get an Acura, or if I wanted a Jeep a Grand Cherokee. Or even a truck. And no, it is not a mid-life crises thing. I'm too old for that. But it "fits" me very nicely. I like running and going to lake on weekends for long runs. I like tailgating and works nicely for that.

I just love it!!
Congrats! I'm glad you're happy with your decision. I too share the same excitement. Coming from an Asian family, as far as we know, there are only two car brands in the world: Toyota and Honda.
When I took home my JKUR, everyone looked at me as if I'm an outcast. I love that rebellious feeling hahahaha.

KinkyBear is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:26 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Staunton, Il
Posts: 94
Ah, the mid-life crisis comments. Man, I hate those. I get it all the time when driving my Corvette. My response? "It's a mid-life crisis if you can't afford to drive one."

Glad you like the Jeep. Fun stuff.
airmed2 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-29-2015, 10:29 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmed2 View Post
Ah, the mid-life crisis comments. Man, I hate those. I get it all the time when driving my Corvette. My response? "It's a mid-life crisis if you can't afford to drive one."

Glad you like the Jeep. Fun stuff.
Man...that is a great response.

I only started running about 4-5 years ago. And got the same comment a lot. It was a mid-life crises and I'd stop running in a year...BLAH! Its a health, fun, lifestyle thing. Just like a Jeep! Ha!
Sdallnct is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:32 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,238
Oh, forgot to mention have Trek Armor seat covers coming. The stock cloth seats make me sweat and have a slight plastic feel. I got graphite on graphite to contrast the all black interior.
Sdallnct is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 7
2/3rd's life crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
And no, it is not a mid-life crises thing. I'm too old for that.
I got mine a month ago. Pretty much base just like yours except mine is Baja Yellow.

I tell people I got mine to battle my 2/3rd's life crisis. I'm 51 and well over 1/2 my life!!

Now if I could just keep my wife out of it and let me drive periodically !!
FormerF150Owner is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:50 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerF150Owner View Post
I got mine a month ago. Pretty much base just like yours except mine is Baja Yellow.

I tell people I got mine to battle my 2/3rd's life crisis. I'm 51 and well over 1/2 my life!!

Now if I could just keep my wife out of it and let me drive periodically !!
I'm 51 as well...and while I always knew I'd get manual, SUPER bonus is no one else can drive it. Even if they wanted too!!
Sdallnct is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Johnnyp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jax, FL
Posts: 1,304
Damn you drive a lot! Mine is about 7 months old and has 5,500 miles. Glad you are loving it though, congrats!
__________________
2015 JKURHR - Anvil https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/jo...d-1238345.html
Mods: Metalcloak bumpers, armor, HD steering and Gamechanger 3.5" lift, 40" MT MTZ P3's, 17" Rugged Ridge XHD's, Warn Zeon 10-S, Maximus tire carrier, Spod, Pandemic 50", 20", & 3" cube LEDS, JWS J headlights/fogs/tails, Pioneer 8100NEX.
Instagram: cloaked_hardrock
Johnnyp26 is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyp26 View Post
Damn you drive a lot! Mine is about 7 months old and has 5,500 miles. Glad you are loving it though, congrats!
I won't average 7,500 a year. I travel a lot for work and will be rare that I can take it.

I just did Dallas to San Diego and back in it. So that was 3,000 miles.
Sdallnct is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:44 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Higher Peaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas & Park City, Utah
Posts: 409
Still luvin my Jeep too. She just passed 44K trouble fee miles. Lot's of trips to Utah, Colorado and New Mexico from Dallas.

Welcome to WF and See Ya On The Trail!!!
__________________
2014 JKUR-X
Higher Peaks is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:49 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Prince Edward Island
Posts: 308
Do you like the headlights?
__________________
2015 Rubicon JK: Color Tank - 6 Speed
Bill Dalton is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 1,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dalton View Post
Do you like the headlights?
Meh...not as bad as I've read. The biggest issue is the dark space between the front of the jeep and where the lights start. But the fog lights fill in there nicely.

I have them on my "future" upgrade list. I wouldn't mind better, but not a priority. Even after driving cross country including dark "desert" areas in West Texas and New Mexico.

But I don't know if I'll spend the $700 for good LED's. Might look at bulbs and such.
Sdallnct is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
zuber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 133
If you are from Dallas you should go out to Superlift park in Arkansas next weekend with a local dallas group. About 70 jeeps from Dallas will head that way next Thursday and Friday. It's an off road park with different difficulty levels for everyone to enjoy.
zuber is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
unityroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 157
https://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1446259436 Glad you like the Jeep. The one seen here has only 270 miles on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015_2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	2591793  
unityroad is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Zenman323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 2,082
I'm that club too, I'll be 51 very soon and finally bought my first jeep a few months ago. You are putting some serious miles on it; I've got less than 3K on mine over 4 months, but I spend much of my time in airplane seats instead of shifting my gears.

Mid life crisis - Ha! Just a life choice man.
Zenman323 is offline   Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:11 PM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenman323 View Post
I'm that club too, I'll be 51 very soon and finally bought my first jeep a few months ago. You are putting some serious miles on it; I've got less than 3K on mine over 4 months, but I spend much of my time in airplane seats instead of shifting my gears. Mid life crisis - Ha! Just a life choice man.
Bought my first Jeep last year when I was 51 as well!

16 month old now, and 16,000 miles.

Like you, too much time strapped in airplanes to own a boring car. BMW roadster + Jeep was the cure.

__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, 4.88, trussed axles, tons of armor, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T tires
My build: Copper Rubi build

2010 BMW Z4 35i - toy
2016 Volvo XC90 - dogmobile
cdeslandes is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.