Extended Warranty - Claimed Denied - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 10
Extended Warranty - Claimed Denied

Bought a used 2010 JK and financed through local Credit Union. They also sold me an extended warranty through InterContinental Warranty Services, Inc. because factory warranty was out due to mileage.

Found out the ball joints were bad and filed a claim. Brochure specifically stated this was covered. To my dismay, I was advised that none of the suspension, steering, etc. would be covered because I had put a 2.5 inch lift kit and 34" tires. (This was NOT in the brochure !)

I am now trying to cancel this ...they also stated there was a 60 day money back "guarantee".. will see.

Anywho ..... BUYER BEWARE of this company !

Peacekeeper820 is offline   Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
DonC72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philly Burbs
Posts: 798
Just playing devils advocate but Why would Chrysler cover something you did to the vehicle after market? If they determine the fault was due to the mod, then go back to the person or place that did the work. Dunno, that sucks. Those extended warranties sound like they are good if you keep the stock vehicle. Good luck getting it reolved on the cheap!

I have one as well and have not cancelled mine yet. I need a legal team to read the mopar chrysler extended lifetime warranty, but you do have 60 days for most of them.

DonC72 is offline   Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 10
Lift has only been on for less than week - not on long enough to cause ball joints to go bad. Not a Chrylser warranty, independent company, but they have no exclusions or limitations on their brochure at point of sale. I feel they should have these type exclusions listed before you pay 1200.00 out - not after.

I should have read all of the negative comments on InterContinental Warranty Services. Inc on the web... Live and learn
Peacekeeper820 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,590
extended warranties usually only cover the drive train,, at that the Chrysler 7/70 drive train warranty is $100 deductable, my u-joints went out, they were covered, but i just bought more tools, water-proof u-joints, and did the work myself,,, it is a Jeep thing,,, get used to it LOL
__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
JIMBOX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,914
Can't help with the aftermkt warranty, but-

Don't replace the ball joints with the same stockers--get either Poly JK/Synergy JK ball joints, they're HD and greaseable !!

JIMBO
__________________
"ya gotta have class"
JIMBOX is offline   Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #6
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,757
Still debated on keeping mine or not.
Some dealers will play nice, others will not.
I asked a tech where I bought my jeep if a lift would void the Warranty.
He said "no but if the lift itself was the cause to the problem, that part would not be covered" again-depends on the dealer. Go somewhere Else ??
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #7
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,554
Based on the two day thing, you could fight this.

A warranty doesn't need to cover any damage you caused, and that includes damages caused by your mods. However, they don't get to just declare that any particular mod means they have no coverage obligation. They need to demonstrate the mod caused the problem. I would expect a lift you installed two days ago isn't going to satisfy that burden.

Call the warranty company and tell them you want to dispute their conclusion and ask how you do so, also ask for copies of your warranty and any incorporated docs (like dispute resolution policies). Go pay an independent mechanic to evaluate the damaged parts and put his opinion in writing that the new lift/wheels/tires didn't do it.

Presuming they've got a method internally for you to appeal, submit the mechanic's opinion to the warranty company along with pursuing that route. If they don't have an internal appeal process, append the mechanic's opinion to a suit you file on your own behalf (no lawyer needed) in small claims court. If you go the latter route, try to work with the local clerk of court so as to schedule your hearing as promptly as legally possible (ie, so the warranty company has the minimum notice required under law, but no more) so as to maximize your chances they'll just default. Make sure you ask the court to include what you paid to the mechanic as part of your damages.

Of course, is it worth all that for ball joints? I don't know. But now you know what to expect going forward.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #8
ESP
I AM THERE4 I JEEP

WF Lifetime Member
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 12,295
Your the man MTH, glad to be on your side.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK 17 JKU

Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. John 8:12

ESP is offline   Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #9
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP123
Your the man MTH, glad to be on your side.
For the guy who helped install my lift? I'm always on your side.




No one else though, I'll gouge the SOBs in a heartbeat . . . .
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:11 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Rubicondon53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: pennsylvania
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH
Based on the two day thing, you could fight this.

A warranty doesn't need to cover any damage you caused, and that includes damages caused by your mods. However, they don't get to just declare that any particular mod means they have no coverage obligation. They need to demonstrate the mod caused the problem. I would expect a lift you installed two days ago isn't going to satisfy that burden.

Call the warranty company and tell them you want to dispute their conclusion and ask how you do so, also ask for copies of your warranty and any incorporated docs (like dispute resolution policies). Go pay an independent mechanic to evaluate the damaged parts and put his opinion in writing that the new lift/wheels/tires didn't do it.

Presuming they've got a method internally for you to appeal, submit the mechanic's opinion to the warranty company along with pursuing that route. If they don't have an internal appeal process, append the mechanic's opinion to a suit you file on your own behalf (no lawyer needed) in small claims court. If you go the latter route, try to work with the local clerk of court so as to schedule your hearing as promptly as legally possible (ie, so the warranty company has the minimum notice required under law, but no more) so as to maximize your chances they'll just default. Make sure you ask the court to include what you paid to the mechanic as part of your damages.

Of course, is it worth all that for ball joints? I don't know. But now you know what to expect going forward.
Agreed 100%... Ball joints though ? Seems like wear and tear to me.. s stated before, my u-joints went out, within 7/70, and they wanted $100 deductible each side,,, I bought some tools, upgraded the joints and did the work myself..,
Private warranty companies have no oversight, and no regulation... completely free reign to do whatever they want,,, including ripping folks off. I would never do business with any of them..
__________________
04' Rubi, with all the gizmos we need for long range excursions, / home modified excursion trailer;

96' Lexus 450, locked, loaded and ready to roll..
'12 VW New Beetle
Rubicondon53 is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
SeaComms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Noosa, QLD, Australia
Posts: 780
A 2010 out of factory warranty due to mileage? What sort of mileage is on it?
__________________
Cheers from Downunder, Dave.
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl 'Renegade' pack (includes dual top options, 17in alloys, side steps etc).
2.5in Flexy springs, Bilstien 5100's, Teraflex rear trackbar bracket, Synergy front and rear sway bar links and front disco kit, Synergy steering damper relocation bracket, AEV front drop brackets, ARB front and rear bar, 10,000lb rope winch, Britax Xray Vision driving lights, GME 3440 UHF radio.
SeaComms is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:35 AM   #12
jcf
Bludger

WF Supporting Member
 
jcf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Moab UT
Posts: 12,830
Send a message via Yahoo to jcf
Don't believe someone that tells you the ball joints are shot, I had a shop tell me that at 24,000k so took it else where & they showed me that the ball joints were in fact fine. I was not a happy camper. Get it up on a hoist & look yourself
jcf is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 View Post
Ball joints though ? Seems like wear and tear to me.
That's the first thing that occurred to me too, but the OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper820 View Post
Found out the ball joints were bad and filed a claim. Brochure specifically stated this was covered.
So they were apparently at least represented as being covered. And indeed, the warranty company didn't deny the claim because it's a wear and tear item. Instead, they told him:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacekeeper820 View Post
To my dismay, I was advised that none of the suspension, steering, etc. would be covered because I had put a 2.5 inch lift kit and 34" tires. (This was NOT in the brochure !)
What would be interesting would be to see whether his warranty documents actually do specifically provide coverage for ball joints and whether it wear and tear items are excluded generally. I'd expect a wear and tear exclusion would be there of course, though I do wonder if ball joints would really be included. Most vehicles never need to replace them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 View Post
Private warranty companies have no oversight, and no regulation... completely free reign to do whatever they want,,, including ripping folks off. I would never do business with any of them..
Is that true? I'm not an expert on warranty regulation, but I know that--much like insurance--manufacturer warranties are heavily regulated. My impression was the fly-by-night companies that are duping folks (like online "travel insurance" companies and presumably many similar warranty companies) are actually operating unlawfully. Could be wrong though.

That said though, yeah--I'm generally not a fan of extended warranties. Made sense for the OP though, given the mileage issue.
__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTH View Post
Most vehicles never need to replace them.
Sure they do. Most people just ignore them until their wheel falls off or they don't own the vehicle long enough for it to matter. Most vehicles need their balljoints replaced on a somewhat regular basis. Heavy vehicles typically more frequently than lighter ones.

Quote:
Is that true? I'm not an expert on warranty regulation, but I know that--much like insurance--manufacturer warranties are heavily regulated. My impression was the fly-by-night companies that are duping folks (like online "travel insurance" companies and presumably many similar warranty companies) are actually operating unlawfully. Could be wrong though.
Yes, sadly it is true. The Magnusson-Moss Consumer Protection Act is only applicable to warranties offered by the manufacturer of a product on their own product. An aftermarket warranty is exactly like insurance because they are not providing a warranty on a product they make.

Quote:
That said though, yeah--I'm generally not a fan of extended warranties. Made sense for the OP though, given the mileage issue.
Me neither. After nearly a decade of dealing with several different extended warranty companies, they are a waste of money. You could count the number of reputable ones I encountered on one hand.

OP, I'm surprised they didn't call it a preexisting condition. That's the route most of them would take on a wear item. You can appeal the decision, but good luck getting anywhere with it. If you cancel the warranty you will probably get enough money out of them to cover the ball joints. They will also probably say the lift caused any power train problems you ever have as well, so the chances of you ever getting any money out of them is slim.

This is why a prepurchase inspection is always a good idea.
__________________
2012 Silver Sport S, Silver, 6 speed, soft top, 3.73s, LSD, PCG, Infiniti, deep tint windows, Pro Comp 1028 wheels, 33" Duratracs, Smittybilt bumpers and steps, KC fog lights, Mopar slush mats and fuel door.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon.
oilwell1415 is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
MTH
Jeeper
 
MTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415 View Post
Sure they do. Most people just ignore them until their wheel falls off or they don't own the vehicle long enough for it to matter. Most vehicles need their balljoints replaced on a somewhat regular basis. Heavy vehicles typically more frequently than lighter ones.
I've never replaced them in any of my three prior vehicles, two of which exceeded 100k miles before I let them go. Of course, vehicles basically meant nothing to me until I got my Jeep, so it's not like I cared--I definitely fell into both the "let the wheels fall off" category and the "just sell it" category.

I care now though, and I understand the JK's ball joints to be particularly flimsy. So I expect they'll be something I eventually need to address. JKS makes some legitimate HD replacement ones that Jimbox has and is very happy with. If the OP is out of pocket here, I'd go this route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415 View Post
Yes, sadly it is true. The Magnusson-Moss Consumer Protection Act is only applicable to warranties offered by the manufacturer of a product on their own product. An aftermarket warranty is exactly like insurance because they are not providing a warranty on a product they make.
Well that sucks. Insurance companies are at least regulated by the state department of insurance though, which I'm fairly confident almost never cover anything related to warranties. So you're really saying that you understand aftermarket warranty companies to be even less regulated than insurance. You're basically left with breach of contract and consumer protection statutes. Yikes. Screw that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwell1415 View Post
They will also probably say the lift caused any power train problems you ever have as well, so the chances of you ever getting any money out of them is slim.
Yup.

__________________
Mike
2010 JKU "Mountain" Edition
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift : Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Shocks : 33x12.5R15 Goodyear DuraTracs : 15x8 Black Rock 909s : Other Stuff . . .
MTH is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extended Warranty Average American TJ General Discussion Forum 7 03-31-2011 07:34 PM
Extended Warranty? HealthyGIRL TJ General Discussion Forum 27 11-21-2010 07:47 PM
Jeep extended warranty coverage: Transmission cooler included Lithium Lotus JK General Discussion Forum 9 09-27-2010 07:29 PM
Extended Warranty... What's your take? MSTRLEE General Jeep Discussion 8 12-08-2009 08:36 AM
extended warranty pete218 JK General Discussion Forum 10 07-21-2008 01:19 PM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.