Gray be GONE!! Finally a awesome solution!! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree28Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-03-2019, 10:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
WVJeepChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 32
Thumbs up Gray be GONE!! Finally a awesome solution!!

So, after much debate and research on how to recondition my bumpers, trim and side steps I FINALLY DID IT!!! I was so tired of looking at grayed out bumpers and trim I finally decided to go ahead with applying Unrefined Coconut oil!!! Not the liquid kind, but the kind that looks like Crisco. You can get it at any supermarket. Can I just say how AWESOME it works?? Still....after a few days and a few rainstorms, it's just as black and shiny as when I applied it. I'm going to take pictures as soon as the weather clears.

Anyone else done this little hack? Apparently coconut oil is VERY universal when it comes to taking care of your vehicle.

WVJeepChic is offline   Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: WV
Posts: 2,238
I was turned on to Penetrol by a thread here. A couple of months, and my fenders are still black, and not too shiney.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Prages is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
CT_JKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeepChic View Post
So, after much debate and research on how to recondition my bumpers, trim and side steps I FINALLY DID IT!!! I was so tired of looking at grayed out bumpers and trim I finally decided to go ahead with applying Unrefined Coconut oil!!! Not the liquid kind, but the kind that looks like Crisco. You can get it at any supermarket. Can I just say how AWESOME it works?? Still....after a few days and a few rainstorms, it's just as black and shiny as when I applied it. I'm going to take pictures as soon as the weather clears.

Anyone else done this little hack? Apparently coconut oil is VERY universal when it comes to taking care of your vehicle.
Interesting. Let us know how long that works. I have been using the 303 protectant. It works great but I get a neurological reaction to most chemicals and end up with joint pain for the rest of the day. I eat coconut oil daily so I know I won't have a reaction to that.
CT_JKU is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-04-2019, 06:16 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Dutchman01's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 257
I've been using mother's back to black but it's only good for 3 weeks or so.
Dutchman01 is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,724
I just don't look at my fenders anymore.
tgil likes this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:22 AM   #6
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,286
Bet the squirrels will like it too.
RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinosportjku View Post
bet the squirrels will like it too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	squirrel.lick.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	4155173
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,398
They really love the banana peels with peanut butter solution
Jedi9 is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 529
I tried using the 303 protectant but you have to be careful to really saturate every inch thoroughly or it gets streaky after a week and you have to reapply. I like 303 for other stuff, but it's not my first choice for this application.


I've had better luck with Griots Trim Restorer. Its thick like a lotion and is easier to consistently work into the textured surface. It will usually last a few weeks before having to reapply. I've never found anything that lasts more than a few weeks.


Coconut oil intrigues me. I'd think it would attract dirt, but maybe no worse than anything else. Please report back on the longevity of the treatment!
__________________
2017 Firecracker Red JK Sport
2018 Hella Yella JLU Sport
crazychile is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #10
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
jeep63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Monkton, MD
Posts: 580
We use Car Guys Plastic Restorer on my Son's 06 LJ and my 10A. We like the results. You do have to re-apply eventually, but that is just maintenance imho.
sbsyncro likes this.
__________________
10A Build
jeep63 is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: WV
Posts: 2,238
Penetrol applied March 19. Fenders are dirty because I haven't washed the Jeep and live on a dirt road, but they are still black.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Legobusier likes this.
Prages is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prages View Post
Penetrol applied March 19. Fenders are dirty because I haven't washed the Jeep and live on a dirt road, but they are still black.
"Penetrol" sounds like the name of your robot cell-mate in the state lockup.

....sleep with one eye open, Penetrol is on the prowl....
tomthbomb, n3tfury, Laggy and 1 others like this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
kodgil58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: LOST IN NM
Posts: 228
I just ripped all that plastic stuff off and replaced with aluminum and steel!! Works great =)
i812many likes this.
kodgil58 is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
rednroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVJeepChic View Post
So, after much debate and research on how to recondition my bumpers, trim and side steps I FINALLY DID IT!!! I was so tired of looking at grayed out bumpers and trim I finally decided to go ahead with applying Unrefined Coconut oil!!! Not the liquid kind, but the kind that looks like Crisco. You can get it at any supermarket. Can I just say how AWESOME it works?? Still....after a few days and a few rainstorms, it's just as black and shiny as when I applied it. I'm going to take pictures as soon as the weather clears.

Anyone else done this little hack? Apparently coconut oil is VERY universal when it comes to taking care of your vehicle.

You did all that research and never heard of or tried Penetrol?
#ResearchFail.

Let us know how long that lasts. Most everything works great when 1st applied. Check back in 2-3 months, then again after 1 year and then we can let you know if you found something comparable to Penetrol.
__________________
DIYer mantra: "It doesn't cost that much more to just do it yourself."
rednroll is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,724
We used to use this on our MINI Cooper wheel arches:
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Wow-BW0...8610&s=gateway

Once or twice a year and it looked good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BlackWow.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	4155227
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:52 AM   #16
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
"Penetrol" sounds like the name of your robot cell-mate in the state lockup.

....sleep with one eye open, Penetrol is on the prowl....
You been listening to Joe's Garage again? Sy Borg?
RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
CT_JKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednroll View Post
You did all that research and never heard of or tried Penetrol?
#ResearchFail.

Let us know how long that lasts. Most everything works great when 1st applied. Check back in 2-3 months, then again after 1 year and then we can let you know if you found something comparable to Penetrol.
I like the OP's solution because it is all natural. Even if I have to apply it a couple of times a year, I would prefer to not have the nerve pain I get from any of the chemical based applications.
WVJeepChic likes this.
CT_JKU is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:20 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_JKU View Post
I like the OP's solution because it is all natural. Even if I have to apply it a couple of times a year, I would prefer to not have the nerve pain I get from any of the chemical based applications.
Even more natural. Rub some bees' wax on it twice a year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WoodFenders.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	4155233
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
MikenMel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 50
We've used Forever Black and loved the results. Easy to apply and lasts a long time.

MikenMel is offline   Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
cranbiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Reidsville, NC
Posts: 2,641
Krylon Fusion Flat Black. I did it a year ago and they are still black. Plus it's easy to touch up should it be needed.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-Co...5-Oz/111184174
sparky likes this.
__________________
KN4BBA

06 KJ
12 JK,2.5" Teraflex lift, 3/4 spacers ,Bilstein 5100's,BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17 with beadlocks.
17 WK2 Trailhawk
cranbiz is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:36 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Lafayette, TN
Posts: 361
I use this every couple years, works great.
__________________
2010 2dr Sahara Auto Hardtop - AEV 2.5" Lift - 33x12.5x15 Firestone Destination MTs with DX4 wheels - Smittybilt 9500 Synthetic Winch -Quadratec LED headlights/Fogs -ACE Narrow Fender Flares and Inner Fenders - Rough Country Hybrid Stubby Winch Bumper w/Fog Mounts - ACE JK Hammertown Rear Armor
Wlfman is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Huntington Beach
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodgil58 View Post
I just ripped all that plastic stuff off and replaced with aluminum and steel!! Works great =)

i did the same.. plastic bumpers and fender flares are gone..



i sold my painted flares rather quickly as a matter of fact.


i dont understand why the flares arent painted for every jeep.. i mean they all fade eventually, i dont like seeing faded bumpers and flares.. i feel for those guys/gals.. everything else can be mint, then you got the faded plastics.. they really should paint them all
kodgil58 likes this.
__________________
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, TF 2.5" Lift Kit w/ shocks, 315/70/17, 4.56s

Other vehicles:

2018 Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled (black)
2003 Suzuki DRZ400s
manilaboy1vic is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
JHD1827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 203
I tried Penetrol. Newer Jeep so my fenders are still pretty black. Rubbed the Penetrol on to coat then used a clean rag to wipe until all excess was removed. After about 10 min of drying they started to look streaky and white. I panicked and washed with it off with water. No permanent color change. Did I do something wrong? Looking online I see there is one for oil based and one for acrylic based. Not sure which one I have at the moment. Are you supposed to use one or the other?

I only tried the Penetrol on the passenger side and can't see a difference between the two. Going to try the coconut oil on the driver side.
JHD1827 is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:34 PM   #24
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
jaysong's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Prior Lake
Posts: 1,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
We used to use this on our MINI Cooper wheel arches:
https://www.amazon.com/Black-Wow-BW0...8610&s=gateway

Once or twice a year and it looked good.

Attachment 4155227
Is this applied with a ShamWow?
Laggy and rednroll like this.
jaysong is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysong View Post
Is this applied with a ShamWow?
That would work --- and rhyme.

The Black Wow really does work. Once a year kind of stuff usually.
I just never cared all that much about my fenders on the Jeep. MINI yes; Jeep is more of an outdoor dog though.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
akpostal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 540
Bonus of having an Anvil, the greying fenders kinda blends in.
Hilldweller likes this.
akpostal is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #27
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Central CT, USA
Posts: 601
Raw birch tar. nothing beats it. I mean, yeah, it's sticky and lumpy... but it's all natural and it's free, as long as you have neighbors with birch trees you can cut down in the middle of the night.



Glob some on, then just repeat every 2-3 days to cover up the bugs stuck to it.
__________________
Daily Driver ∞ 2013 JK 10A ∞ Some wheels ∞ A stereo ∞ A handful of extra parts
JasonMG is offline   Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #28
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMG View Post
Raw birch tar. nothing beats it. I mean, yeah, it's sticky and lumpy... but it's all natural and it's free, as long as you have neighbors with birch trees you can cut down in the middle of the night.



Glob some on, then just repeat every 2-3 days to cover up the bugs stuck to it.
Oh hell yeah!
RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 01:31 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
SoCalRubi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 124
I found that Meguaires Ultimate Black worked best for me. For like $7 a bottle I would apply it to bumpers and other parts and it would last 3-4 weeks out here in the blazing SoCal summers.

Then I just decided to buy steel bumpers. So now I just barely use it for my door handles and two hood latches
SoCalRubi16 is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 04:44 PM
Thread Starter
  #30
Jeeper
 
WVJeepChic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHD1827 View Post
I tried Penetrol. Newer Jeep so my fenders are still pretty black. Rubbed the Penetrol on to coat then used a clean rag to wipe until all excess was removed. After about 10 min of drying they started to look streaky and white. I panicked and washed with it off with water. No permanent color change. Did I do something wrong? Looking online I see there is one for oil based and one for acrylic based. Not sure which one I have at the moment. Are you supposed to use one or the other?

I only tried the Penetrol on the passenger side and can't see a difference between the two. Going to try the coconut oil on the driver side.
Even though I'm getting alot of haters, the coconut oil is working awesome!! Still shiny and black even after daily thunderstorms, rain and a car wash. Just make sure you get the "Unrefined: coconut oil. It looks like Crisco. I just applied it with a dry washcloth and rubbed it in, let it soak for a few hours in the sun and wiped away the excess if there was any. Haters gonna hate but if it works, it works!!

WVJeepChic is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
bumpers , coconut , gray , oil , trim

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.