Hardtop Storage - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
tsipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 44
Hardtop Storage

I'm thinking about purchasing this shed:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-C...hed/1000737096
to store my hardtop for the spring and summer. I don't really have much room in my yard for a bigger shed and last year I stored it in my parents house which involved manuevering the thing up some stairs. According to the measurements it should fit but am I missing something? Also are there any downsides of storing it in a shed for a long period of time? This is 2 door top.

tsipa is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: WV
Posts: 2,169
My neighbor had one of those sheds, and the thing fell apart every time there was a moderate storm. It could have been user error, though.


I'd say as long as the top will fit through the door, and provided you assemble it correctly and get it as level as possible, you should be fine.

Prages is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
screwlose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 487
A tarp worked great for me for a few years in the backyard at my last place.
Now with no yard its in a storage unit.
screwlose is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 197
If you never got snow in the winter, it would be fine. I bet you get snow in the winter, though.

If you're in the area that Reed's Ferry delivers to, contact them. I've got a huge shed from them. It is awesome. I had it custom made so I could drive a snowmobile in one side and straight out the other with 2 sets of double doors. Way better than any parking lot shed I've ever seen.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:43 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
tsipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prages View Post
My neighbor had one of those sheds, and the thing fell apart every time there was a moderate storm. It could have been user error, though.


I'd say as long as the top will fit through the door, and provided you assemble it correctly and get it as level as possible, you should be fine.
This is concerning, we've had some serious wind around here recently. I really wouldn't want this thing to fall apart for obvious reasons.
tsipa is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:45 AM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
tsipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack FFR1846 View Post
If you never got snow in the winter, it would be fine. I bet you get snow in the winter, though.

If you're in the area that Reed's Ferry delivers to, contact them. I've got a huge shed from them. It is awesome. I had it custom made so I could drive a snowmobile in one side and straight out the other with 2 sets of double doors. Way better than any parking lot shed I've ever seen.
Unfortunately, they do not deliver to NY and we do indeed get snow in the winter.
tsipa is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:07 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
terpsmandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Penn Yan, NY
Posts: 1,651
It has been much windier here in W NY than I remember as a kid. Does that shed have a floor and how would it be secured to the ground?
terpsmandan is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
tsipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: NY
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan View Post
It has been much windier here in W NY than I remember as a kid. Does that shed have a floor and how would it be secured to the ground?
It does have a floor but I don't think it's meant to be secured to anything.
tsipa is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
mcguirev10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Jax FL
Posts: 132
I have a smaller version of that for storing pool vacuum hoses and so on -- basically the same blow-molded ill-fitting Chinese junk -- but it has survived a couple of hurricanes and tropical storms, so I wouldn't worry about the wind part. For the hurricanes I bungeed it to a porch post, but never bothered for tropical storms. They're ugly, not waterproof, and very slowly deform over time, but I would think it would work.

Being in Florida, I can't speak to the snow-weight question. Happily.
__________________
Live-in mechanic for the wife's 2017 2-door sport with the usual bolt-ons, and Xtreme Purple as far as the eye can see...
mcguirev10 is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
ChuckNorrisYes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 135
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This comes tomorrow for me. I plan to put the freedom panels and some other stuff on top strapped down. Then, you put some straps off the sides to hook to the bottom of the hardtop like other lifts. I'm hoping it works well as a multi purpose lift.

I think I can set up the straps like this thread.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/j...t-2256130.html
ChuckNorrisYes is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #11
Newb
 
kscowden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7
Send a message via MSN to kscowden Send a message via Yahoo to kscowden
I installed my Racor a few days ago. I also ordered this kit from Topsy Products. Haven't used it yet...been chilly and rainy

http://www.topsyproducts.com/product..._hoist_bracket

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
kscowden is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
ChuckNorrisYes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscowden View Post
I installed my Racor a few days ago. I also ordered this kit from Topsy Products. Haven't used it yet...been chilly and rainy

Products - Hinge Hook Hoist Bracket

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Great info on the hooks, thank you!
ChuckNorrisYes is offline   Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:15 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
PaisanoJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Albany NY
Posts: 50
Ive seen people with those sheds so it shouldnt crumble in the snow. they do seem to deform after a year or two. Maybe another option might be one of those tarp sheds like this from harbor freight? i was going to grab one to store my kids PW jeeps...
PaisanoJKU is offline   Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsipa View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing this shed:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-C...hed/1000737096
to store my hardtop for the spring and summer. I don't really have much room in my yard for a bigger shed and last year I stored it in my parents house which involved manuevering the thing up some stairs. According to the measurements it should fit but am I missing something? Also are there any downsides of storing it in a shed for a long period of time? This is 2 door top.

Mine just sits for the Summer in the back yard beside the shed on a home made rack with wheels. I just throw a tarp over it. Never had issues. It's a little dusty in the Fall when I dig it out. I hit it with the hose (inside and out), let it dry, and throw it on.
Bob Sanders is offline   Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders View Post
Mine just sits for the Summer in the back yard beside the shed on a home made rack with wheels. I just throw a tarp over it. Never had issues. It's a little dusty in the Fall when I dig it out. I hit it with the hose (inside and out), let it dry, and throw it on.

I do the same thing and have never had any issues.

michie910 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear storage DIY locking storage johnny102393 TJ General Discussion Forum 10 11-16-2014 08:01 PM
Rear storage DIY locking storage johnny102393 TJ General Discussion Forum 3 10-21-2014 08:44 PM
PA: Jeep JK soft top storage/window bag/smittybilt tailgate storage RemoJK Classifieds Archive 15 01-16-2014 07:59 AM
MI: Smittybilt Overhead Storage and Tailgate Mole Storage Irishbaja Classifieds Archive 3 07-12-2013 10:07 AM
gun storage (i know another storage thread) drhodes YJ General Discussion Forum 9 04-01-2011 02:29 PM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC