I got my butt kicked - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By SoCalRubi16
  • 1 Post By SoDakSooner
  • 1 Post By SoCalRubi16
  • 2 Post By Zenman323
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-20-2020, 01:24 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
SoCalRubi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 204
I got my butt kicked

Installing my Poison Spyder Aluminum crusher fender flares! Websites I bought em didn't mention all the holes that had to be drilled. Took me forever after finally figuring out all the instructions of having to mount, then un-mount, and then mark, and drill, then mount again, then bolt in. Just got the fronts done today, still have to do the backs tomorrow.

Now I know Im not the smartest man there is. But can someone explain why companies give you pages of instructions and use black and white ink!!? Then refer you to photos of which you cannot see what the hell anything is!? Yes, I know, its because they save 2 pennies per unit and they are cheap. But for crying out loud.

Thank goodness for YouTube! But that is another story. My favorite are the ones done professionally who say, "Now we are going to do [insert any job here]" and then it cuts to said job done and them moving on with out showing squat.

Sorry but these are the rantings of a tired and frustrated man. Thankfully I found a good video and made it through the instructions. Tomorrow, the rear fenders

Hilldweller, Haust and vanhalo like this.
SoCalRubi16 is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
SoDakSooner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Okieland
Posts: 2,223
I agree they are a pain to install. However, plenty of comments to that effect on the pages so shouldn't be a suprise...lol. Not bagging on you. I was pretty frigging tired after mine as mine are the steel ones. It took me a few days as well.

Once they are on they look great though. Definitely an exercise in patience. I had to make myself walk away several times so I didn't try and rush things. That and I did mine in the middle of the summer when it was 95 degrees out.

You'll appreciate them when you are finished!
IndyRubicon17 likes this.

SoDakSooner is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
SoCalRubi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
I agree they are a pain to install. However, plenty of comments to that effect on the pages so shouldn't be a suprise...lol. Not bagging on you. I was pretty frigging tired after mine as mine are the steel ones. It took me a few days as well.

Once they are on they look great though. Definitely an exercise in patience. I had to make myself walk away several times so I didn't try and rush things. That and I did mine in the middle of the summer when it was 95 degrees out.

You'll appreciate them when you are finished!
Just finished, and boy I would never want to go through that process again! Started at 8am. Removed the fronts (installed day before) but forgot to paint over all the holes we drilled into the well. We even had a hard time getting those to line back up. Got through that and started on the rears.

Now Poison Spyder instructions were night/day for the rears. Only problem was no one had a 17/32 step drill or drill bit. Went to Home depot, Ace, AutoZone, O'Rielys, Nothing! So lost an hour there. So we just Macgyvered some other step drill to punch out the holes for the rears, and that took some time. Then the big bracket of the two they give you for each side would not sit flush in the upper wheel well. We could get the bottom screw in but the top would not align with the hole we punched out even though we double checked for both sides!

We pulled the rear lights and just punched holes and connected through the back lights to hold in place! We just finished today at 6pm PT. 99% complete. One of the rear bolts that goes into the rivet nuts stripped so it sticks out a half inch, but its under the lip of the fender so you cant see. May cut and leave half in there tomorrow. I dont know yet. Just know i wanted to be done with it for the day
SoCalRubi16 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-20-2020, 11:25 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Highlands Ranch
Posts: 15
PS crusher flares

I was just about to pull the trigger on getting some of these. After you got done installing them, are you glad you got them (despite the pita in installing them)? You mention one particular YouTube video - which one? I’ve reviewed several and not sure I have a handle on it yet.

If not PS, which other flares is everybody recommending?

Thanks
Mpayne is offline   Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:52 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
SoCalRubi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpayne View Post
I was just about to pull the trigger on getting some of these. After you got done installing them, are you glad you got them (despite the pita in installing them)? You mention one particular YouTube video - which one? I’ve reviewed several and not sure I have a handle on it yet.

If not PS, which other flares is everybody recommending?

Thanks
The after affect is soooo much worth it! They are pricey, but when I was looking for a shop to color match the jeep. All of them complimented the work of the poison spyders. They look so much better than my stock ones. I was never a fan of how fat the front fenders were. I've said before, I only started working on my vehicles once I got my Jeep 3 years ago when I was 30. Ive done a lot since getting it, and learning each day. You likely are more handy than me and could knock these out in half the time? They were a pain, but Id rather be frustrated and learn, while paying my pops with a pizza and beer for helping. Than pay a shop a couple hundred bucks or go with a cheaper quality.

Here is the link for the video that helped me most: https://youtu.be/Ym_7BNkPYB4
SoCalRubi16 is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:05 AM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
SoCalRubi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 204
I also got ACE Inner fender liners coming in the mail any day now. Video shows them installing with fenders on. If I have to pull my fenders off to install after all this. Someone may get some ACE Inner fender liners brand new for reeeeeal cheap 😂😂😂
SoCalRubi16 is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:25 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
IndyRubicon17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpayne View Post
I was just about to pull the trigger on getting some of these. After you got done installing them, are you glad you got them (despite the pita in installing them)? You mention one particular YouTube video - which one? I’ve reviewed several and not sure I have a handle on it yet.

If not PS, which other flares is everybody recommending?

Thanks
Anybody will tell you the install absolutely sucks....but you will love them when you are finished.....it's not a bad install just time consuming and if you haven't drilled your rig before a little daunting.... definitely get the nustert tool and it will speed you a lot!
IndyRubicon17 is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:26 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
IndyRubicon17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRubi16 View Post
I also got ACE Inner fender liners coming in the mail any day now. Video shows them installing with fenders on. If I have to pull my fenders off to install after all this. Someone may get some ACE Inner fender liners brand new for reeeeeal cheap 😂😂😂
Lolol.....I run the same setup....you don't have to remove them....
IndyRubicon17 is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:33 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Leadnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,503
I got my butt kicked

Yep, I put off the flares as long as I could because I was too busy to do the install. Went with the Nemesis and total install time was 20 hours over two weekends and two trips to the powdercoater. I added the extra step of undercoating the rear wheel wells which was very time consuming (masking). Their instructions are quite good. I recommend getting the instructions ahead of time even if you need to call them and have the pdf emailed. - Most of the time the pdf will have color pictures. Definitely worth doing and very happy with the end result.
__________________
2014 JKU Willys 6-spd, RK X-Factor 3.5", Fox Resis, KM3 37s, PR60s, Eaton e-lockers, 5.13, Atlas II 3.8, and another $10K in miscellaneous parts.
Leadnut is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:17 AM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
SoCalRubi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadnut View Post
Yep, I put off the flares as long as I could because I was too busy to do the install. Went with the Nemesis and total install time was 20 hours over two weekends and two trips to the powdercoater. I added the extra step of undercoating the rear wheel wells which was very time consuming (masking). Their instructions are quite good. I recommend getting the instructions ahead of time even if you need to call them and have the pdf emailed. - Most of the time the pdf will have color pictures. Definitely worth doing and very happy with the end result.
PDF emailed. I didnt even think of that. After reading this, I went to the site I bought em (Northridge 4X4) and yup, right in plain site are pdf download of the instructions in color. All I had to do was go there and download it. Live and learn
SoCalRubi16 is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:31 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Leadnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,503
I got my butt kicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalRubi16 View Post
PDF emailed. I didnt even think of that. After reading this, I went to the site I bought em (Northridge 4X4) and yup, right in plain site are pdf download of the instructions in color. All I had to do was go there and download it. Live and learn
You got the job done and that’s all that matters.

Well I’m pretty anal retentive, so I looked at all the instructions of different flares even before I decided what I wanted and bought them. I probably did that over a year before I actually bought them. That’s when I realized what a big project it was and put it off until I knew I had lots of time. But, then I had all the tools I needed ahead of time. I also have a mini-PC in my garage to review instructions and search for documents and videos while I am working on my vehicles.

I would like to add that I used the Astro nutsert tool and that worked very well. I thought about buying the more expensive tool but decided for this limited use not necessary.
__________________
2014 JKU Willys 6-spd, RK X-Factor 3.5", Fox Resis, KM3 37s, PR60s, Eaton e-lockers, 5.13, Atlas II 3.8, and another $10K in miscellaneous parts.
Leadnut is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #12
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 3,515
Took me two days to do mine. Just pace yourself and take your time with the nutserts. Get a good tool (Marson) for this.
Definitely worth it, I’ve bounced off trees and rocks with these, no damage. The brackets to the subframe are well thought out.

I do have a little rust on mine, but that’s New England...
__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, 4.88, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

2010 BMW Z4 35i - toy
2016 Volvo XC90 - dogmobile
cdeslandes is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:56 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 367
i'm absolutely sick of cheap, lazy ass companies not including proper instructions.
TheGrendel is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:02 PM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
SoCalRubi16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 204
Here is the final results. Before, after, and bolt sticking out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200115_233217_1579626030774.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	4197161   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200121_082423_1579626045135.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	4197163  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200121_082119_1579626104784.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	4197167   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200121_082349_1579626117276.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	4197169  

ssinga likes this.
SoCalRubi16 is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:55 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,207
I check YouTube for videos on installs before I look at directions... seems to help the black and white manuals. I will say JCR Off-road does fantastic with their install videos...
__________________
My daily driver is a 2015 JKU on 35's 4.56 and Trutracs, My trail rig is my 1997 TJ on 35's 4.88 and Trutracs plus a pile of cash....
NC Bear is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
ssinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,434
There is a BUNCH of place the fender, mark, remove, drill...repeat. Just did the Bushwhacker Alum flares that are identical to the PS flares.
__________________
My JKUS Build 2012 JKU Sahara #777,820
ssinga is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #17
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Zenman323's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadnut View Post
You got the job done and that’s all that matters.

Well I’m pretty anal retentive, so I looked at all the instructions of different flares even before I decided what I wanted and bought them. I probably did that over a year before I actually bought them. That’s when I realized what a big project it was and put it off until I knew I had lots of time. But, then I had all the tools I needed ahead of time. I also have a mini-PC in my garage to review instructions and search for documents and videos while I am working on my vehicles.

I would like to add that I used the Astro nutsert tool and that worked very well. I thought about buying the more expensive tool but decided for this limited use not necessary.
Totally agree on the Astro riv-nut tool; I've used that thing a ton and saves a bunch of time.

Metal Cloak Fenders are a similar chore to install, but are awesome when done.

Put those on my 2-door JK and will eventually put them on my new JLU.
ssinga and Leadnut like this.

__________________
Every man dies, but not every man really lives...

Carpe Diem!
Zenman323 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.