Is there shame in a body lift vs suspension lift? - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree28Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #61
Jeeper
 
Steeljag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by pressurized View Post
no to body lift. A teraflex leveling kit is the way to go.

x 2 !

__________________
2014 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Copperhead Pearl
Yeah,I gotta change the Pic
Love the Rubicon, but miss the TJ.
Steeljag is offline   Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #62
Jeeper
 
ChuckNorrisYes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Top View Post
Good thinking, body lifts are less compelling for JKs. Body lifts are really for older jeeps, like TJs, where they make it easier to lift the driveline.


A JK will take 35" tires without any lift (if you change the flares).


A spring upgrade might be nice, but you'll have to mix and match parts, because the aftermarket is focused on lift instead of upgrade.
Second this one, do you need a lift? I have 35" with open fender flares and I am very happy with the look. I can get pegged in the front wheel wells when i'm all on the front tires and thinking about some bump stops but i'm not a hardcore wheeler so no issues.

ChuckNorrisYes is offline   Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #63
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
Whether or not you need to add bump stop extensions depends on a few factors.

Thanks, but let's not forget that the OP (and a lot of other people) are looking at tires that don't require a lift, but they would still like a spring upgrade (and are ok with being lifted a little bit by that upgrade).


Then within the same thread people say they should get geometry correction brackets, so it would be nice to know which of them require 2" bumpstop extension, like JKS (kudos to JKS for being upfront about that).
Muffin Top is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #64
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckNorrisYes View Post
Second this one, do you need a lift? I have 35" with open fender flares and I am very happy with the look. I can get pegged in the front wheel wells when i'm all on the front tires and thinking about some bump stops but i'm not a hardcore wheeler so no issues.

Good thinking Chuck. A lot of people (including Mopar) say 35" tires will fit with a flare change, but I wonder if even Mopar may have been pushing it with that recommendation.


The technical purists would say you need to cycle your suspension with the springs removed to verify that you have enough bumpstop to prevent rubbing. I'm lazy, so I was hoping we could rely on Mopar's claim that 35" tires work with a fender change.


If you only need half-an-inch of bumpstop extension, MetalCloak recently started offering these:


https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jk-wrang...eep-jk-jl.html
Muffin Top is offline   Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:34 PM   #65
Jeeper
 
ChuckNorrisYes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin Top View Post
If you only need half-an-inch of bumpstop extension, MetalCloak recently started offering these:

https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jk-wrang...eep-jk-jl.html
Thanks for the recommendation!
ChuckNorrisYes is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:09 PM
Thread Starter
  #66
Jeeper
 
misshell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Trenton, WI
Posts: 74
Wow...there are so many options! The teraflex leveling kits are mentioned often but which one? Hockey puck style or spring?
Outside of that, any opinions on the BFG KO2's.
misshell is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #67
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 239
For a performance upgrade, it looks like the smallest variable-rate springs for JKs are Synergy, Rancho, AEV, or Rock Krawler
Muffin Top is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:54 AM   #68
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by misshell View Post
Wow...there are so many options! The teraflex leveling kits are mentioned often but which one? Hockey puck style or spring?
Outside of that, any opinions on the BFG KO2's.
I am a fan of the BFG KO2's. For where and how we wheel they work great, and they have excellant street manners to boot. My only gripe with them is they run small.
As to the leveling kit options, it depends on what you want. If you are happy with the stock ride, the spacer based leveling kits maintain the stock spring rate and simply raise the ride height of the Jeep. The TF spring based leveling kit has slightly stiffer springs that increase the ride height. Also, since the springs are changed out with stiffer springs, the spring based leveling kits can sometimes over-deliver on height, especially if your Jeep is on the light weight side. The spacer based kits increase the height exactly the thickness of the spacers regardless of other factors like how much your Jeep weighs.
A TF spring based leveling kit and a better set of shocks can dramatically improve the ride of your Jeep. And there are other kits that can do even better.
Andejo likes this.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:05 PM
Thread Starter
  #69
Jeeper
 
misshell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Trenton, WI
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post

I am a fan of the BFG KO2's. For where and how we wheel they work great, and they have excellant street manners to boot. My only gripe with them is they run small.
As to the leveling kit options, it depends on what you want. If you are happy with the stock ride, the spacer based leveling kits maintain the stock spring rate and simply raise the ride height of the Jeep. The TF spring based leveling kit has slightly stiffer springs that increase the ride height. Also, since the springs are changed out with stiffer springs, the spring based leveling kits can sometimes over-deliver on height, especially if your Jeep is on the light weight side. The spacer based kits increase the height exactly the thickness of the spacers regardless of other factors like how much your Jeep weighs.
A TF spring based leveling kit and a better set of shocks can dramatically improve the ride of your Jeep. And there are other kits that can do even better.
Thank you. That's a very helpful explanation. So here's my shopping list: (to the tune of delaying retirement another few years. Ha!)
Tires: BFG KO2 34/10.5/17
Tereflex leveling kit (not spring cuz the Jeep is light)
4 new shocks -Nitro 8.0
And to think this all started with needing new tires and maybe shocks but noooo, the hubby had stated that bigger tires and a lift was absolutely necessary. He's pretty smart tho- cuz he got me to agree to bigger tires and a leveling kit.
So! Please feel free to rip apart the list. Keep in mind that my Jeep is a DD and I'm a girl.
Thanks!
misshell is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #70
Newb
 
imjester77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
I currently am running a 3" suapension lift on my jku. Problem is I love the Bushwacker fender look on my 35's. The damn things rub in a flex! So to help with this I have ordered a 2"BL. I do not care what anyone thinks of my rig. I truly love it and will make it mine any way I want. Shame on anyone for trashing anybody else's ride because it was something they wouldn't do. The BL is perfect for my application. I will install frame guards and relocate my bumpers when i install it to hide most of the gaps, but honestly it's a Jeep. Since when did owning a Jeep require you to dump your entire back account for simple mods. Just my thought!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190324_161929_1556582253287.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	4146367  
Andejo likes this.
__________________
2014 Saharah Altitude. 3" Frank'n lift MB TKO 15" Wheels, 35x12.50 Falken Wildpeak tires!

"America is built on the Blood and sweat of those that gave everything for those that gave nothing!
"
imjester77 is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #71
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 1
I went from an 06 LJ Rubicon to a 12 2dr JK Rubicon back in 2012. I always thought the new fenders were the ugliest thing ever invented. Put on a set of Bushwacker flat fenders and you can run those 34 with doing nothing else. Will ride like stock cause it is stock
Jacksonjack is offline   Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:01 PM   #72
Newb
 
imjester77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 10
Wrong pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190422_142037_1556589652999.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	4146413  
__________________
2014 Saharah Altitude. 3" Frank'n lift MB TKO 15" Wheels, 35x12.50 Falken Wildpeak tires!

"America is built on the Blood and sweat of those that gave everything for those that gave nothing!
"
imjester77 is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:21 AM   #73
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by misshell View Post
Thank you. That's a very helpful explanation. So here's my shopping list: (to the tune of delaying retirement another few years. Ha!)
Tires: BFG KO2 34/10.5/17
Tereflex leveling kit (not spring cuz the Jeep is light)
4 new shocks -Nitro 8.0
And to think this all started with needing new tires and maybe shocks but noooo, the hubby had stated that bigger tires and a lift was absolutely necessary. He's pretty smart tho- cuz he got me to agree to bigger tires and a leveling kit.
So! Please feel free to rip apart the list. Keep in mind that my Jeep is a DD and I'm a girl.
Thanks!
It is your Jeep, build it how you want it. You may want to look at Rancho shocks. They are at least as good as the Nitro shocks, if not better. They also have a rebate that I believe is still on that will allow you to get 4 Rancho 9000 series adjustable shocks for around the cost of 4 non adjustable shocks (around $350 after the rebate). It is nice to be able to adjust your shocks to get the ride where you want it vs being stuck with the way it rides.
I like the BFG KO2 34's, but as mentioned they run small. They are really about the diameter of most 33" tires. But it is nice that they are narrower. It is not nice that they are expensive. But that is what it is.
I would consider the spring based leveling kit, simply for the better ride. But that is up to you.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:27 PM   #74
THE MIGHTY GRIZZLY!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ. In the Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry..
Posts: 25,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonjack View Post
I went from an 06 LJ Rubicon to a 12 2dr JK Rubicon back in 2012. I always thought the new fenders were the ugliest thing ever invented. Put on a set of Bushwacker flat fenders and you can run those 34 with doing nothing else. Will ride like stock cause it is stock
Welcome to the Forum.
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Shaking at 40-70 MPH, Read this!!!

The Mighty Grizzly is not concerned,
with
the needs of the Hunter....


Click here and become a WF supporting Member
Old Dogger is online now   Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:44 PM
Thread Starter
  #75
Jeeper
 
misshell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Trenton, WI
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjester77 View Post
Wrong pic
Very nice! I liked the muddy pic, tho.😀

Bushwacker flares sound (and look) cool. I will definitely consider them if we have a rubbing problem...or maybe I'll add them to my wish list just cuz.
Thanks!
misshell is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:49 PM
Thread Starter
  #76
Jeeper
 
misshell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Trenton, WI
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonjack View Post
I went from an 06 LJ Rubicon to a 12 2dr JK Rubicon back in 2012. I always thought the new fenders were the ugliest thing ever invented. Put on a set of Bushwacker flat fenders and you can run those 34 with doing nothing else. Will ride like stock cause it is stock
Welcome! Wish you would have joined sooner...maybe I would have won the lift vs no lift debate with the main squeeze. It's a lost cause now. I'm still adding the bushwackers to my wish list.😁
misshell is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:09 PM
Thread Starter
  #77
Jeeper
 
misshell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Trenton, WI
Posts: 74
Thanks Guzzi for the input. I will definitely look at the Rancho 9000's. Adjustability would be nice.
I think I'm okay with the BFG's running a little smaller than the stated 34 and, yep, they're pricey but the reviews are good and my husband's past experience with those is A+.
As far as people's opinions on Jeep mods... someone in an earlier post mentioned something like: if they're not paying for it then their opinion doesn't matter. Or something like that. I am in total agreement. I get to do as I like except the marriage certificate gets in the way.
I should have listened to my mom about settling down...😉
misshell is offline   Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:12 PM   #78
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by misshell View Post
Thanks Guzzi for the input. I will definitely look at the Rancho 9000's. Adjustability would be nice.
I think I'm okay with the BFG's running a little smaller than the stated 34 and, yep, they're pricey but the reviews are good and my husband's past experience with those is A+.
As far as people's opinions on Jeep mods... someone in an earlier post mentioned something like: if they're not paying for it then their opinion doesn't matter. Or something like that. I am in total agreement. I get to do as I like except the marriage certificate gets in the way.
I should have listened to my mom about settling down...😉
You seem to have the impression that lifting will reduce ride quality. While a cheap and / or poorly done lift can reduce ride quality, a quality lift properly done will ride better than stock. So if it rides poorly after lifting, you can blame the hubby because he either did it poorly and / or cheaply. Don't settle. They don't all ride poorly.
Hilldweller likes this.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:28 AM
Thread Starter
  #79
Jeeper
 
misshell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Trenton, WI
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post

You seem to have the impression that lifting will reduce ride quality. While a cheap and / or poorly done lift can reduce ride quality, a quality lift properly done will ride better than stock. So if it rides poorly after lifting, you can blame the hubby because he either did it poorly and / or cheaply. Don't settle. They don't all ride poorly.
Yes, ride quality is definitely a big concern but not my biggest one. I'm on the tallish side at 5'8" and I find getting into the Jeep in a dress or skirt to be a little challenging at times. I'm worried I might flash the undercarriage (pun intended) if there's too much lift and using a step stool is an accident waiting to happen.
So here's my challenge to all the guys who've lifted their Jeeps: put on a skirt or dress that ends at the knees and try to get in without flashing the world your u-joints.
Pictures and videos would be awesome, ha!
In all seriousness, the skirt thing is a concern of mine. I love my Jeep but I don't want to dread getting in and out of it.
If anyone chooses to accept my challenge, I would love a report.
misshell is offline   Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #80
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by misshell View Post
Yes, ride quality is definitely a big concern but not my biggest one. I'm on the tallish side at 5'8" and I find getting into the Jeep in a dress or skirt to be a little challenging at times. I'm worried I might flash the undercarriage (pun intended) if there's too much lift and using a step stool is an accident waiting to happen.
So here's my challenge to all the guys who've lifted their Jeeps: put on a skirt or dress that ends at the knees and try to get in without flashing the world your u-joints.
Pictures and videos would be awesome, ha!
In all seriousness, the skirt thing is a concern of mine. I love my Jeep but I don't want to dread getting in and out of it.
If anyone chooses to accept my challenge, I would love a report.
Side story that's relevant.

I was in traffic a few years ago; I have a manual trans and traffic sucks more for us with manuals.
So, at a light, I looked over at the other JK that had just pulled up alongside me. Lifted higher than mine, more built, doors off and some sort of sun shade on top. Woman driving was wearing a cocktail dress and strappy heels --- and it was a manual.
"Lord," I whispered, "the perfect woman".
Jab1719 and DIRT BOY like this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:04 AM   #81
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by misshell View Post
Yes, ride quality is definitely a big concern but not my biggest one. I'm on the tallish side at 5'8" and I find getting into the Jeep in a dress or skirt to be a little challenging at times. I'm worried I might flash the undercarriage (pun intended) if there's too much lift and using a step stool is an accident waiting to happen.
So here's my challenge to all the guys who've lifted their Jeeps: put on a skirt or dress that ends at the knees and try to get in without flashing the world your u-joints.
Pictures and videos would be awesome, ha!
In all seriousness, the skirt thing is a concern of mine. I love my Jeep but I don't want to dread getting in and out of it.
If anyone chooses to accept my challenge, I would love a report.
My wife is about your height, perhaps she is a little shorter than you. Our Jeep has had a variety of heights. We found three and a half to four inches was too tall, but a two and a half to three inch lift (the Mopar 2" springs) was fine height wise. We did add GraBars, they help getting in and out a lot. I have considered adding power steps, those running boards that lower down to help you get in or out and then raise back up while driving. We may end up with them some day, but for now with around 3" of lift and the GraBars we are fine.
But, only you can decide what you want and how high is too high. I get the notion that the spacers only lift the thickness of the spacer. That is what we started with and why. We started with a spacer lift because we were concerned about height. In hind sight we would likely have been better off if we had simply gone straight to a spring based lift as a fair amount of money was spent and then re-spent. But just as we made that choice / mistake you certainly can as well. All I can tell you is while a spacer lift won't ride any worse than stock if properly done, a spring based lift can ride quite a bit better than stock. But it is your Jeep. I am only trying to offer advice based on lessons I already learned.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:36 AM
Thread Starter
  #82
Jeeper
 
misshell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Trenton, WI
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Side story that's relevant.

I was in traffic a few years ago; I have a manual trans and traffic sucks more for us with manuals.
So, at a light, I looked over at the other JK that had just pulled up alongside me. Lifted higher than mine, more built, doors off and some sort of sun shade on top. Woman driving was wearing a cocktail dress and strappy heels --- and it was a manual.
"Lord," I whispered, "the perfect woman".
Luv it! I'd have to follow her just to see how she manages the dismount. If impressive, then I'd make her my new bff.
misshell is offline   Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Thread Starter
  #83
Jeeper
 
misshell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Trenton, WI
Posts: 74
Ok Guzzi, the lightbulb is flickering and I'm getting a clue...I think. GraBars will definitely be needed and not just for me. Those are on the wish list. Also good to know 3" should be workable. So springs...if done well...a better ride... it's slowly sinking in...
misshell is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:08 AM   #84
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by misshell View Post
Luv it! I'd have to follow her just to see how she manages the dismount. If impressive, then I'd make her my new bff.
Oh, she definitely had the body/build of a fitness model.

I'll tell you though. I'm 6'5" and was adopted ----- you can tell that when you look at my family. Grandma was about 4'8" and, even in her late 90s, could hop right up into my brother's Tahoe like a spider monkey. Tough old gal and she really liked the view from a truck.
She's not around anymore to ask her the technique.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:21 PM
Thread Starter
  #85
Jeeper
 
misshell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Trenton, WI
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Oh, she definitely had the body/build of a fitness model.

I'll tell you though. I'm 6'5" and was adopted ----- you can tell that when you look at my family. Grandma was about 4'8" and, even in her late 90s, could hop right up into my brother's Tahoe like a spider monkey. Tough old gal and she really liked the view from a truck.
She's not around anymore to ask her the technique.
That's awesome! Sorry to here she's not around anymore.
Speaking of older ladies...
Way, way back in the day, my mohawk sportin husband was in charge of taking his much older 5ft tall mom and slightly taller and even older grandma to church bingo. He had a hopped up CJ7 that neither lady could climb into so he had to bring a step stool and assist them in and out.
Ok, I wish I had a picture of this but I don't. I only have a pic of the Jeep. Imagine this though, a 17 year old lanky boy with a fully spiked mohawk driving two older ladies wearing those goofy rain bonnets on their heads (heaven forbid we mess up the roller set hairdo) in this Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190502_170427444~2_1556835531586.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	4147161  
Hilldweller likes this.

misshell is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
body lift vs suspension lift vs budget lift? I'm new ibanezguy45167 YJ Tech Forum 9 01-27-2013 06:13 PM
SE vs X vs Ruby vs Sahara vs Sport vs Rocky Mt ect OlllllllO-TJ TJ General Discussion Forum 11 03-02-2012 01:41 PM
What a shame! Fweaky YJ General Discussion Forum 14 03-20-2010 09:11 AM
What a shame... FlG8R01TJ Off-Topic 23 09-16-2009 09:12 AM
To shame!!! 18derrick YJ General Discussion Forum 4 12-17-2006 12:06 AM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC