Light bar wiring - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NorCal
Posts: 35
Awesome info!! Thanks a lot. Has helped me out a ton!

JaguarHepler is offline   Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Thread Starter
  #32
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahzark View Post
Your setup is exactly like mine. If you havent already, I put the excess wiring that is left around the engine in the mesh thing connected to the hood when you raise the hood up. It worked out when I tried it, so I just left it like that, and it is not in the way. I dont even know its there!
mesh in hood? As of now it's sitting in the "cowl" the flat part in top of the hood. There's a decent size space there so that's where it is now. Don't know if that's a good spot or not?! Bar hasn't come in yet. So can be moved easily if needed

Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Thread Starter
  #33
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.rn View Post
mesh in hood? As of now it's sitting in the "cowl" the flat part in top of the hood. There's a decent size space there so that's where it is now. Don't know if that's a good spot or not?! Bar hasn't come in yet. So can be moved easily if needed
where they are now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3571872037.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	2582825  
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
Noahzark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.rn View Post
where they are now
I mean that seems like a good place! The wires are insulated anyways, so really its not a big deal! lol...I put it in that felt stuff when you pop your hood that is lining the hood.
Noahzark is offline   Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Kadonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,068
I wire tired my extra wire down closer to the light mount, but I'm bumper mounted. I kept things all clean up near the battery and that side of the firewall, it leaves less wire to navigate around should you ever have to change batteries. For your bars, I may wire tie the extra wire on the driver side of the engine compartment, there is more room there too.

Good work @Matt.rn glad we all helped you. Where did you poke throught the firewall?
__________________
2018 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon 6 speed
2015 Tank JKUHR 6 speed Traded
2010 Black JKU 6 Speed, Tint, Grille mod, Bedtred, Hella's
Kadonny is offline   Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Thread Starter
  #36
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
I wire tired my extra wire down closer to the light mount, but I'm bumper mounted. I kept things all clean up near the battery and that side of the firewall, it leaves less wire to navigate around should you ever have to change batteries. For your bars, I may wire tie the extra wire on the driver side of the engine compartment, there is more room there too. Good work @Matt.rn glad we all helped you. Where did you poke throught the firewall?
there was a spot under the master cylinder. A black foam like piece. It wasn't very hard to find and it seemed like it had already been perforated. So I took a knife and cut a slot in it and ran it through. It comes out above the door wiring connector on the drivers side. Then I just pulled that dash side panel and ran it up through there to the a pillar
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:24 PM
Thread Starter
  #37
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Thanks to all for all your help. Couldn't have done it without y'all. Moment of truth should be Monday as of now. Light bar is supposed to come in. BUT it was supposed to ship Friday and has yet to ship...from California. So we will see
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #38
Jeeper
 
Kadonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.rn View Post
there was a spot under the master cylinder. A black foam like piece. It wasn't very hard to find and it seemed like it had already been perforated. So I took a knife and cut a slot in it and ran it through. It comes out above the door wiring connector on the drivers side. Then I just pulled that dash side panel and ran it up through there to the a pillar
I was going to suggest that area. There are two locations that I think are better than the foam filled holes on either side near the cowl. One location is the one you used, but that's only good for automatic Jeeps (manual uses that hole for the clutch pedal rod). The other is the hole where the washer fluid hose fits through, it too has a rubber grommet that you can slit to run power through. I find both those holes give you a much cleaner install than the ones under the cowl. Great work!

Hope the bar comes soon to get her all wired up!
__________________
2018 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon 6 speed
2015 Tank JKUHR 6 speed Traded
2010 Black JKU 6 Speed, Tint, Grille mod, Bedtred, Hella's
Kadonny is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Thread Starter
  #39
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
I was going to suggest that area. There are two locations that I think are better than the foam filled holes on either side near the cowl. One location is the one you used, but that's only good for automatic Jeeps (manual uses that hole for the clutch pedal rod). The other is the hole where the washer fluid hose fits through, it too has a rubber grommet that you can slit to run power through. I find both those holes give you a much cleaner install than the ones under the cowl. Great work! Hope the bar comes soon to get her all wired up!
as soon as I complained about it not shipping. It shipped. Expected Saturday. The excitement is unreal
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #40
Jeeper
 
Kadonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.rn View Post
as soon as I complained about it not shipping. It shipped. Expected Saturday. The excitement is unreal
Let me know how you get the bar wired with the pigtail connections. Good luck.
__________________
2018 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon 6 speed
2015 Tank JKUHR 6 speed Traded
2010 Black JKU 6 Speed, Tint, Grille mod, Bedtred, Hella's
Kadonny is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #41
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
Let me know how you get the bar wired with the pigtail connections. Good luck.
I don't know if I sent this but here is the connection on the harness. In the case that the light bar comes with some sort of connector on the end that doesn't match the harness. Could I just cut it off and put on the connectors that came with the harness?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2585797636.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	2586465  
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
Kadonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.rn View Post
I don't know if I sent this but here is the connection on the harness. In the case that the light bar comes with some sort of connector on the end that doesn't match the harness. Could I just cut it off and put on the connectors that came with the harness?
Yes you can. They look good, I assume you connect in your engine comparment (now that I think about where you are mounting the bar) so waterproof is not super important. I think you are ready to rock.
__________________
2018 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon 6 speed
2015 Tank JKUHR 6 speed Traded
2010 Black JKU 6 Speed, Tint, Grille mod, Bedtred, Hella's
Kadonny is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:52 PM   #43
Jeeper
 
IgnitedSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 804
Kadonny and/or XTRyan, I see you guys are both in PA. What's your experience with inspections, I was told the light bar would have to be wired into the high beams to pass?
IgnitedSoul is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
Kadonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitedSoul View Post
Kadonny and/or XTRyan, I see you guys are both in PA. What's your experience with inspections, I was told the light bar would have to be wired into the high beams to pass?
Honestly? I have not done inspection on my Jeep yet since it's new. If that does become an issue, I'll just disconnect it from the battery for inspection. However, I see a ton of Jeeps running around PA with lightbars and lights on the front....so everyone can't be having that issue.
__________________
2018 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon 6 speed
2015 Tank JKUHR 6 speed Traded
2010 Black JKU 6 Speed, Tint, Grille mod, Bedtred, Hella's
Kadonny is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
IgnitedSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
Honestly? I have not done inspection on my Jeep yet since it's new. If that does become an issue, I'll just disconnect it from the battery for inspection. However, I see a ton of Jeeps running around PA with lightbars and lights on the front....so everyone can't be having that issue.
We aren't allowed to have tire tread past our fenders here either, but you see it all the time. It depends on the shop. The place I went to this time will let some tread outside. He has a JK as does his kid. My dealership says they are more strict on the issue (well, my backup dealership in PA since my primary one is in NJ). I suspect the same is true for the lights. If you have a good relationship with the shop I bet you'll be fine, but if they are sticklers maybe not. We apparently have to have our lights covered too, but they have different definitions of auxiliary lights and off-road lights and I forget what applies to what. Apparently it's pretty easy to splice a wire into the high beam wire (brown I think?) but I'm not sure about routing and splice location.
__________________
2015 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock: Mopar 2" lift w/ AEV geo brackets, Warn Zeon 10s on Maximus-3 mounting plate with Factor 55 FlatLink, Maximus-3 low profile hoop, J.W. Speaker 8700 J headlights / 6145 J fog lights w/ Maximus-3 brackets / 279 J tail lights, AntennaX 13", GraBars, Teraflex HD hinged carrier, Rigid D2's, Cobra 29 LX
IgnitedSoul is offline   Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 03:24 PM
Thread Starter
  #46
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Anyone happen to know where I can et a sun visor mount? Mine broke when I was taking all the trim off. Just the plastic piece that the visor rotates on and mounts to body from via two screws
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Thread Starter
  #47
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Potential problem. I have had two dead battery's in the past week. I got it tested about 3 weeks ago. And it was fine. Could I have hooked it up so it is continuously draining?
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #48
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: The Isle of Long
Posts: 2,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.rn View Post
Potential problem. I have had two dead battery's in the past week. I got it tested about 3 weeks ago. And it was fine. Could I have hooked it up so it is continuously draining?
If you wired the light bar and it's switch directly to the battery, then they are always hot. This means that you can turn your light bar on at any time without the key in accessory or the engine running.

Does your switch light up? Do you notice if it's lit when the vehicle is off? It's possible you've got something wired that's pulling a draw from the battery.

Disconnect your switch and light bar wiring from the battery and see what happens.
jkudave is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #49
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkudave View Post
If you wired the light bar and it's switch directly to the battery, then they are always hot. This means that you can turn your light bar on at any time without the key in accessory or the engine running. Does your switch light up? Do you notice if it's lit when the vehicle is off? It's possible you've got something wired that's pulling a draw from the battery. Disconnect your switch and light bar wiring from the battery and see what happens.
everything seems to follow the diagram. The switch lights up only when it it pushed a certain way. Tips I have gotten have been 1. Alternator/dead battery 2. Something isn't ground correctly 3. Switch Is not hooked up correctly. Thanks in advance
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 PM
Thread Starter
  #50
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Twas the battery. Dead as a door nail
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:43 PM
Thread Starter
  #51
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Done
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1233522430.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	2593913  
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:41 PM   #52
Jeeper
 
Wandell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,367
Looks good!
Wandell is offline   Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #53
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Now...how do I get rid of the whistle lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1428746742.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	2594449  
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #54
Jeeper
 
Excoastie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Bossier City, LA
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.rn View Post
Now...how do I get rid of the whistle lol

There are several threads on this. I don't have a light bar in that location, so I haven't paid a lot of attention, but they shouldn't be too hard to find.

Exco
__________________
JKRHR, SOLD!
Build Thread
---------------------------------------------------
I'm going outside to stand.
If anyone asks, I'm OUTSTANDING
Excoastie is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:26 AM
Thread Starter
  #55
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
I fixed the whistle. Just angles the light down a hair.
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #56
Jeeper
 
Noahzark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.rn View Post
I fixed the whistle. Just angles the light down a hair.
I have read a lot of reviews and I have mine at like 4 to 5 degrees down. Also, buy these.

http://www.amazon.com/Light-Vibratio...ation+Dampener

Will cut that whistle by A LOT!
Noahzark is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:02 PM
Thread Starter
  #57
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
So the wiring melted. And I mean fried. Any thoughts?
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #58
Jeeper
 
Orangiton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 170
Which part? The switch? Did you use a relay or run power through the switch to the light?
Orangiton is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Thread Starter
  #59
Jeeper
 
Matt.rn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpieDP View Post
Which part? The switch? Did you use a relay or run power through the switch to the light?
the switch was fine along with the wiring going to the bar. But everything from the battery, relay, and fuse was absolutely fried.
Matt.rn is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #60
Jeeper
 
Kadonny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,068
Damn, something is not hooked up right......or It could be a defective relay too I guess????

__________________
2018 JLU Ocean Blue Rubicon 6 speed
2015 Tank JKUHR 6 speed Traded
2010 Black JKU 6 Speed, Tint, Grille mod, Bedtred, Hella's
Kadonny is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.