Long trips doorless - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree35Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-22-2019, 05:07 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
s.conrad32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 303
Long trips doorless

Looking for advice. I have a 7 hour trip to the OBX in a month. I usually run doorless the whole time I am there. Trying to find a place to store the doors is a pain though (I know first world problems). So I am thinking of just leaving my doors at home. Has anyone done something similar? If so any tips? Would tube doors make any difference on the trip? Most of the drive is 45-55 mph speed limits with some highway. I have a cover so no concern for rain when I actually get there.

s.conrad32 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Blastek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,725
my tip would be don't do it.

__________________
2012 Deep Cherry Red JKU Sport S - Tickastar, 6 speed, 3.73, Dual Tops
Blastek is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 15,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.conrad32 View Post
Looking for advice. I have a 7 hour trip to the OBX in a month. I usually run doorless the whole time I am there. Trying to find a place to store the doors is a pain though (I know first world problems). So I am thinking of just leaving my doors at home. Has anyone done something similar? If so any tips? Would tube doors make any difference on the trip? Most of the drive is 45-55 mph speed limits with some highway. I have a cover so no concern for rain when I actually get there.

My .02 - When I arrive. I take my doors off and stow them in a bedroom, hallway, storage closet...etc.
Been doing it that way for decades.

I would NOT recommend running w/o them. I even completely remove my HT when I get there.

Have fun. One of my favorite places. Started going down to the OBX in 1983.

Way before it was popular. Corolla was a no man's land.
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-22-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
kodgil58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: LOST IN NM
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.conrad32 View Post
Looking for advice. I have a 7 hour trip to the OBX in a month. I usually run doorless the whole time I am there. Trying to find a place to store the doors is a pain though (I know first world problems). So I am thinking of just leaving my doors at home. Has anyone done something similar? If so any tips? Would tube doors make any difference on the trip? Most of the drive is 45-55 mph speed limits with some highway. I have a cover so no concern for rain when I actually get there.
I did a 2 hour doorless trip to a lake here in NM, i didnt mind it but my passengers hated it.
Sabrewulf likes this.
kodgil58 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
MoabCarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Metro Detroit MI
Posts: 343
About 2 hours on the Xway is max for me with tube doors. My passenger wears ear muff style hearing protectors.
__________________

Red Rock 4-Wheelers EJS Trail Gunner
2001 TJ 4.0 Auto
2007 JKU LS3, PR60s, too much to list....
2012 JKUR bone stock
2018 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
MoabCarl is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 63
About 10 years ago we did a trip with no doors from Denver to Moab and then back and it was like being in a wind tunnel for 5 plus hours. We were both just exhausted when we got home, not to mention our ears were toast from the wind noise.

Granted that was going about 65-70 on the highway the entire time.
kraigc3 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Frydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fires of Hell, AZ
Posts: 371
Send a message via ICQ to Frydaddy
Going on 4 weeks doorless right now, so ive got a few suggestions that might help.
- Interstate travel almost requires earplugs, wind and tire noise.
- Whether sunny or rainy, I would leave the soft top on for the long drive, just roll up the rear window, and you'll be fine. Its super easy to put the whole thing down when you hit the trail so no biggie.
- If it gets too hot, or too cold, Tough it out, prepare the proper clothes, and the heater/AC works really well to take the edge off.
- It only rained a few times out here in AZ since then, and the rain blows around me with nary a drop. Of course I was doing 70-85.
Shadowmaker and Haust like this.
__________________
__________________
Ever growing compendium of Tips, Tricks and References all in one place.
(with a smattering of XJ and Willys CJ-2A too)
Bookmark the Imgur album, and always be ready for the next "Wrenching Party"
Frydaddy is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
n3tfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 3,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frydaddy View Post
Going on 4 weeks doorless right now, so ive got a few suggestions that might help.
- Interstate travel almost requires earplugs, wind and tire noise.
- Whether sunny or rainy, I would leave the soft top on for the long drive, just roll up the rear window, and you'll be fine. Its super easy to put the whole thing down when you hit the trail so no biggie.
- If it gets too hot, or too cold, Tough it out, prepare the proper clothes, and the heater/AC works really well to take the edge off.
- It only rained a few times out here in AZ since then, and the rain blows around me with nary a drop. Of course I was doing 70-85.
^this, especially the highlighted.
Shadowmaker likes this.
__________________
.:: 2014 Anvil JKUR | 3.5 Metalcloak | 37" Cooper STT Pros | Teraflex HD Tire carrier | LOD Crawler front bumper | SPod | PowerTank ::.
n3tfury is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Breckenridge,CO
Posts: 203
It was snowing last time I went topless. That drive sucked.
Eyerish9299 and Frydaddy like this.
M0J0 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:31 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
brimstone_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lehi, UT
Posts: 853
I did a 6 hour trip to Boise, doorless and topless, last Summer. About an hour into the trip I regretted it.
tgil likes this.
__________________
IG: @UtahSevenSlot
brimstone_ is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
tdashrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 659
If you're deadset on it, get a pair of earplugs (cheap 50 cent set works). Trust me, it makes a HELL of a difference
Frydaddy likes this.
__________________
2012 JK | 2.5" Teraflex Lift | Rancho RS5000x Shocks & Steering Stabilizer | 33" Falken A/T3W | JKS Quicker Disconnects | Tuffy Security Deck | Diver Down Seat Covers | Superlift Adj. Front/Rear Trackbars | Cobra 75WXST CB Radio | KC Slimlite Spotlights

How to Delete Your FM Radio Antenna & Use a CB Antenna Instead
My Two-Door Build Thread!
tdashrom is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Bob Sanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 3,380
Doorless is great on the trail or in the city, but any more than 20 minutes on the highway.... forget it.
Bob Sanders is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 339
I drive naked late spring through late fall. Highway, roads, offroad. I love it. Longest drive I've done is about 5 hours. I just blast the music over the road noise. I always have my soft-top in a boot for long trips though. No carpet, so if it rains, I just pull the plugs for anything that gets in the jeep.
Eyerish9299 likes this.
USMCmike is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
TJtoJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Panhandle Texas
Posts: 413
Head set with music is a must, been there done that. I say, don't listen to these guys, life is too short >>> go for it my man!!!!

I rode through rain once in my TJ, it's eff-ing awesome! you wouldn't know unless you try it.
Eyerish9299 likes this.
TJtoJK is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:43 PM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
s.conrad32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
My .02 - When I arrive. I take my doors off and stow them in a bedroom, hallway, storage closet...etc.
Been doing it that way for decades.

I would NOT recommend running w/o them. I even completely remove my HT when I get there.

Have fun. One of my favorite places. Started going down to the OBX in 1983.

Way before it was popular. Corolla was a no man's land.
Been going for 20+ years. Only the last 4 with a Jeep. Its the only time I really get to enjoy the Jeep naked. Last year I stashed the doors in a den. It drove me crazy every time someone walked through the room.
s.conrad32 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 87
Do this. I just did it this weekend. Cost me $30 total. https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/ch...77590-146.html
Frydaddy likes this.
__________________
- Jonathan

2015 JKUR "In The Black" Build Page
Rapacious is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 PM
Thread Starter
  #17
Jeeper
 
s.conrad32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJtoJK View Post
Head set with music is a must, been there done that. I say, don't listen to these guys, life is too short >>> go for it my man!!!!

I rode through rain once in my TJ, it's eff-ing awesome! you wouldn't know unless you try it.
I think rain would be interesting. As long as I am not stuck in traffic it wouldn't be too bad. Its not the weather that makes me think twice, its the time.
s.conrad32 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 118
It's not that big of a deal to travel without doors. Sunscreen, stay hydrated, and make sure everything is secured.

I took my YJ to the street rod nationals last August with only a "Safari top" about 6.5 hr each way on interstate, and I've been to STL and home in 1 day multiple time (3hr each way)

Doorless Jeep is really comfortable compared to a motorcycle, my longest day rides has been Pueblo (2 times) Colorado Springs (1 time) to Central Missouri. longest round trip was to Fairbanks and back.

Edit. Keep a couple small towels in the console, the inside of the windshield can become an issue pretty quick in rain (also dew at night)
USMCmike likes this.
Shorthood is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:06 PM
Thread Starter
  #19
Jeeper
 
s.conrad32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapacious View Post
Do this. I just did it this weekend. Cost me $30 total. https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/c...77590-146.html
The portable door cart? How much space does it take up?
s.conrad32 is offline   Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
rednroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,718
I can tell you tube doors don't help at all.

I stayed at a hotel about 1.5 hour drive from Silver Lake sand dunes. Drove topless+tube doors on highway to/from dunes, 70MPH. It was definitely noisy but tolerable on way to dunes. What really sucked was the drive home at night because everyone was tired and it was dark, so our personal tolerance level was much lower. What really sucked is that the night time temp dropped down to 60deg F. It said it was 60F but damn it felt like it was freezing with the wind blowing and no sun, my teeth were rattling....I kept looking at my temp read-out and thinking to myself...I don't remember 60F ever feeling this damn cold. I had the heaters blowing on high and it didn't make a difference. Wife and kid were curled up, heads covered under a blanket in the back seat. The next night, the soft top was up, windows zipped in with the tube doors on...much more tolerable for noise but still chilly.
__________________
DIYer mantra: "It doesn't cost that much more to just do it yourself."
rednroll is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:30 AM   #21
EUG
Jeeper
 
EUG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,350
I disagree with doorless being more comfortable than a motorcycle. Maybe if you wore a helmet in your Jeep and it's 7 hrs on a sportbike.

The absolute maximum I'd want to do doorless on the highway is one hour in perfect weather. And I would not be enjoying the last 45 minutes of that. The wind is just not pleasant. It's 10 times worse in the back seat (no windshield).
EUG is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:39 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
jdinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In the woods, on a mountain, in NY
Posts: 2,040
Wife and I make a few 6 to 7 hour trips every summer with Trektop NX in safari mode, and soft doors stored in back.
It's really not bad, in my opinion. One weekend, it started raining about an hour into the trip, asked wife if she wanted to stop and cover up, hell no was the response. The rain doesn't come in when we're moving
Good wife We do run without carpets in the summer.
__________________
'12 JK Gecko | AEV 2.5/wGCB's | 315 Cooper S/T MAXX | AEV Salta's | Enhanced Rubicon rails | Trektop NX | Soft Doors | JW Speaker tail lights | M/T S1 bumper | Smitty X20-10 Comp | Factor 55 | Tactik HD spare carrier | ACE Halfback bumper | 4.10's | e-lockers | e-disconnect

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
jdinny is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:26 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUG View Post
I disagree with doorless being more comfortable than a motorcycle. Maybe if you wore a helmet in your Jeep and it's 7 hrs on a sportbike.

The absolute maximum I'd want to do doorless on the highway is one hour in perfect weather. And I would not be enjoying the last 45 minutes of that. The wind is just not pleasant. It's 10 times worse in the back seat (no windshield).
Sport bike and helmet?

Harley, no helmet, no radio, no shade, no cruse control and a bottle of water tucked between nacelle and windshield. Luggage for a back rest
n3tfury likes this.
Shorthood is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:26 AM
Thread Starter
  #24
Jeeper
 
s.conrad32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednroll View Post
I can tell you tube doors don't help at all.

I stayed at a hotel about 1.5 hour drive from Silver Lake sand dunes. Drove topless+tube doors on highway to/from dunes, 70MPH. It was definitely noisy but tolerable on way to dunes. What really sucked was the drive home at night because everyone was tired and it was dark, so our personal tolerance level was much lower. What really sucked is that the night time temp dropped down to 60deg F. It said it was 60F but damn it felt like it was freezing with the wind blowing and no sun, my teeth were rattling....I kept looking at my temp read-out and thinking to myself...I don't remember 60F ever feeling this damn cold. I had the heaters blowing on high and it didn't make a difference. Wife and kid were curled up, heads covered under a blanket in the back seat. The next night, the soft top was up, windows zipped in with the tube doors on...much more tolerable for noise but still chilly.
Thanks! I was wondering whether a set of tube doors cut the wind down to where is it comparable to driving with open windows. I was thinking soft top up, windows in, back window rolled and tube doors.
s.conrad32 is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:35 AM
Thread Starter
  #25
Jeeper
 
s.conrad32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUG View Post
I disagree with doorless being more comfortable than a motorcycle. Maybe if you wore a helmet in your Jeep and it's 7 hrs on a sportbike.

The absolute maximum I'd want to do doorless on the highway is one hour in perfect weather. And I would not be enjoying the last 45 minutes of that. The wind is just not pleasant. It's 10 times worse in the back seat (no windshield).
It will just be me and a few surfboards. Weather should be in the 70s. 75% of the trip is through Delaware, Maryland and Eastern Shore Virginia. No hills, easy cruising of 45 to 55 mph. But I do have to get on I-95 at the beginning of Delaware. From what you are saying I might be over it soon after the start.
s.conrad32 is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:48 PM   #26
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
TerryC6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hesperia, CA
Posts: 6,560
I don't see an issue. While I have not done a long trip doorless with my JK I have done 12 hours in my CJ both doorless and topless but of course that was 30 years ago. There is one thing I would invest in and that is an ACE JK Lava Jacket. Regardless of what the weather is doing outside you can stay warm or cool. I can't recommend it enough.
USMCmike likes this.
__________________
Terry

35" Baja MTZ P3's - Level 8 Tracker Pro 5 Wheels - Dynatrac ProGrip Brakes - MetalCloak 2.5" GC Suspension, 6Pak Edition - Griffin Attenuator - Artec Front Axle Armor - Nitro Axle Sleeves - JCR Vanguard Bumpers - Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers & Bombshell Diff Covers - RockHard 4x4 Skid's & Sport Cage - Genesis Dual Battery Kit with G Screen - SPOD - Zeon 10-S - VisionX headlights - Traildash 2 - Morris Mule Trailer
TerryC6 is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryC6 View Post
I don't see an issue. While I have not done a long trip doorless with my JK I have done 12 hours in my CJ both doorless and topless but of course that was 30 years ago. There is one thing I would invest in and that is an ACE JK Lava Jacket. Regardless of what the weather is doing outside you can stay warm or cool. I can't recommend it enough.
And when you get it, make sure you leave the neck open somewhat and it blows hot air up around your head. Works great! Keeps me doorless into December!
USMCmike is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,212
have a bikini minimum. find place to store doors is best. I take moving blankets with me and stick the doors against walls, in closets, etc.
Jedi9 is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 16
LOL!!!! Here goes my question: what's OBX???
RubiconPR is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 506
Haha timely post.

The other day I went up to the lake, just shy of 2hrs at 65-70mph with halfdoors/softwindows and bimini top no back/side rear windows. It was tiring even with that.

So yesterday on the way home as i had the top off and no windows at all, I took the longer scenic way home and it was closer to 3 hours of 45-55mph with last 20 mins of 70 on the highway.

I was beat. My ears were wind beat, my hair had the anti-hat head, I scalp itched just from having windblown hair for 3 hours straight.

At a MINIMUM I'm keeping my winter wool beanie that covers my ear in the glovebox and a set of plugs for next time I'm on the highway topless/windowless. Also decided I'm 'ok' with not buying tube doors just yet.

__________________
2005 TJ SE (Slow Edition) Silver Metallic, 2.4L DOHC w/6spd NSG370, 31x10.5x15, 2" TF coil spacers, D30/DM35 diffs. MC Trackbar. Bilstein shocks.
Patofnaud is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC