Need help with LED fog lights - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WaltA
  • 1 Post By Quadratec
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-24-2019, 10:06 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Need help with LED fog lights

I have a 2015 Rubicon JKU and I just bought a 2017 Rubicon Hard Rock bumper with LED fog lights off Craigslist.
I've researched how to get these LEDs to work on my Jeep and I found the following (I think - please correct me if I'm wrong):
* 2015 factory harness halogen fog light connector is 2504
* 2017 factory harness LED fog light connector is 2504
* I need a pulse width modulator between the LED fog lights and 2015 factory wiring harness
* I need to "extend" the factory harness so the connector can reach the LED fog lights on the hard rock bumper (I know I could just extend the wiring myself by adding more wire but I don't trust my splicing skills in such a tight area).

I've found the "extender" at Headlight Revolution - https://headlightrevolution.com/head...ck-lite-80275/ but I need a PWM.

I this this is exactly what I'm looking for at Headlight Revolution https://headlightrevolution.com/gtr-...le-connectors/ but a review says that he had to swap the wires in the clip and I don't want to do that.

Does anyone know how I can get these LEDs to work? I can't seem to find a solution.

Thanks!

amorth is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
WaltA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Planet, Sol system
Posts: 9,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorth View Post


* I need a pulse width modulator between the LED fog lights and 2015 factory wiring harness


Are you sure the factory fog lights are PWM (like the headlights)? I never heard nor read that before, anywhere.


I changed out mine to LED's, and there is no sign of flickering. Plus, while there is an option to disable the PWM for the headlights, there is no such option for the fog lights (and I think there would be, if they were indeed PWM).

__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1987 Wrangler Laredo
1999 Cherokee Limited (Up Country,Trailer Tow)
[All custom ordered, purchased new]
WaltA is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
Are you sure the factory fog lights are PWM (like the headlights)?


I changed out mine to LED's, and there is no sign of flickering. Plus, while there is an option to disable the PWM for the headlights, there is no such option for the fog lights (and I think there would be, if they were indeed PWM).
My '14 has PWM fogs and flicker ----- I kinda like it....
There's no way to disable or change the PWM characteristics to the headlights or fogs that I'm aware of. I spoke with a few engineers on the line at Jeep and that's what they told me anyhow. Would've saved us a lot of grief when we were figuring out the JWS 8700J if that would've worked.

Just get a flicker-kicker and put the terminals on of your choice.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
Are you sure the factory fog lights are PWM (like the headlights)? I never heard nor read that before, anywhere.
No, I'm not exactly sure I need one, it's just what I've found from Googling. I installed the Truck-lite LED headlights and those needed a PWM so I'm kinda assuming that the same thing is needed for the LED fogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Just get a flicker-kicker and put the terminals on of your choice.
Are you referring to something like this (installing a resistor between the hot and ground cables)?
amorth is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorth View Post
No, I'm not exactly sure I need one, it's just what I've found from Googling. I installed the Truck-lite LED headlights and those needed a PWM so I'm kinda assuming that the same thing is needed for the LED fogs.
The circuit is pulsewidth modulated ---- need to start with the terms in order.
Your lamp needs a steady diet over 9 volts or it will flicker during the low side of the modulation. The JK headlight circuit drops to 4.5 volts and tops at about 12.5.



Quote:
Originally Posted by amorth View Post
Are you referring to something like this (installing a resistor between the hot and ground cables)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZfIU91qmLQ
No.
When I first started doing this with Trucklite and had to figure it all out, we came up with a magic box which is still their proprietary secret. I have the prototypes but I can't tell you what's in there...
But there are a bazillion commercial products available one should be plug and play for you. Just find one on Amazon with voltage side matching your year JK and the delivery side matching the new lamps.

Like this but with the right connectors: https://www.amazon.com/Headlights-Ca...gateway&sr=8-6
Or you could lop the connectors off and put on your own. Ray at Rallylights.com has connectors.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:39 AM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
I'm having a hard time finding a PWM that has a 2504 connector on both ends.

I did find this though (need to select 2010-2018 Wrangler JK):https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrate...ep-wrangler-jk

and this: https://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_0920_14.htm

I spoke with "Gabe" at Quadratec about it and all he could really tell me is that they should both fit if that's what the webpage is indicating, but clearly you can see a difference in the connector types so my faith in his knowledge is pretty low.

If I were to splice the two together so there's a 2504 on both ends it should work, right?

Unless someone knows of a direct plug-n-play that they can point me to!
amorth is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,269
I hardwired my JWS fogs...
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
WaltA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Planet, Sol system
Posts: 9,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
My '14 has PWM fogs and flicker ----- I kinda like it....
There's no way to disable or change the PWM characteristics to the headlights or fogs that I'm aware of. I spoke with a few engineers on the line at Jeep and that's what they told me anyhow.

On my '14, my LED fogs don't flicker. I am also unware that the Mopar LED replacements do anything special in terms of PWM.


I know for a fact that you can disable the PWM for the headlights. I did it simply with Jscan. Also, unlike the LED fogs, the Mopar LED headlights do come with instructions on how the dealer can "flash" the PWM off.
Hilldweller likes this.
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1987 Wrangler Laredo
1999 Cherokee Limited (Up Country,Trailer Tow)
[All custom ordered, purchased new]
WaltA is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:09 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
On my '14, my LED fogs don't flicker. I am also unware that the Mopar LED replacements do anything special in terms of PWM.


I know for a fact that you can disable the PWM for the headlights. I did it simply with Jscan. Also, unlike the LED fogs, the Mopar LED headlights do come with instructions on how the dealer can "flash" the PWM off.
I scanned both the fog and headlight circuits with an oscilloscope and they're PWM from the factory, alrighty.

I don't have a Jscan --- if the dealer's WiTech can alter the PWM duty cycle, it's a newer development than 2014/15 when we were mapping the circuits for the 8700 Evo II and the 8700J. It would, in fact, obviate the need for a J model of 8700.
I had enough trouble trying to find the code for DRL.

...but my JWS fogs definitely flicker. But there are no regulations against that, only headlights.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
WaltA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Planet, Sol system
Posts: 9,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
I scanned both the fog and headlight circuits with an oscilloscope and they're PWM from the factory, alrighty.

I don't have a Jscan --- if the dealer's WiTech can alter the PWM duty cycle, it's a newer development than 2014/15 when we were mapping the circuits for the 8700 Evo II and the 8700J. It would, in fact, obviate the need for a J model of 8700.
I had enough trouble trying to find the code for DRL.
Jscan (as many other OBD apps) can disable headlight PWM. As I mentioned, the dealer can do this too, as a "flash" (unfortunately, dealer = $$$).


Mine is a '14, and I believe the option to do it goes all the way back to '07. The option has a pretty obvious name of "LED Quad Headlamps" (though I guess the "quad" is a left over from some other vehicle... lazy programmers). If going the dealer flash route, the sales code is 5SX.


I also used Jscan to able DRL, and of the light choices, I picked having it use my fog lights, and I used it to enable Fogs on with High Beams.
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1987 Wrangler Laredo
1999 Cherokee Limited (Up Country,Trailer Tow)
[All custom ordered, purchased new]
WaltA is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:25 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
Are you sure the factory fog lights are PWM (like the headlights)? I never heard nor read that before, anywhere.
I verified this tonight. I took off both of the LED fog lights so I could connect them to the wiring harness and they flickered as soon as I turned the Jeep on. This is also verified that I don't need any type of socket conversion, just a PWM between the fogs and the factory harness.
amorth is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:56 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
Jscan (as many other OBD apps) can disable headlight PWM. As I mentioned, the dealer can do this too, as a "flash" (unfortunately, dealer = $$$).


Mine is a '14, and I believe the option to do it goes all the way back to '07. The option has a pretty obvious name of "LED Quad Headlamps" (though I guess the "quad" is a left over from some other vehicle... lazy programmers). If going the dealer flash route, the sales code is 5SX.


I also used Jscan to able DRL, and of the light choices, I picked having it use my fog lights, and I used it to enable Fogs on with High Beams.
The "LED Quad Headlight" flash ---- yes, I did that to mine but I did it in the hopes that it would add DRL. Dealer doesn't charge me, just gives me the WiTech and I do it. You have to download your build, add it, and then upload it back. When that failed I got my hands on a Canadian build and found the missing code "LMK" for DRL and added that later. I left Quad Headlights in but I never measured the headlight circuit again after that. If it does indeed change the PWM duty cycle, it's significant.
I have a meter out in the Jeep that can measure PWM, store the signature, and reproduce it later. I'll check this weekend if I get a chance.

Neither the dealer, the techs there, nor any of the people on the assembly line that I spoke with knew what "LED Quad Headlights" meant.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #13
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Quadratec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 2,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorth View Post
I have a 2015 Rubicon JKU and I just bought a 2017 Rubicon Hard Rock bumper with LED fog lights off Craigslist.
I've researched how to get these LEDs to work on my Jeep and I found the following (I think - please correct me if I'm wrong):
* 2015 factory harness halogen fog light connector is 2504
* 2017 factory harness LED fog light connector is 2504
* I need a pulse width modulator between the LED fog lights and 2015 factory wiring harness
* I need to "extend" the factory harness so the connector can reach the LED fog lights on the hard rock bumper (I know I could just extend the wiring myself by adding more wire but I don't trust my splicing skills in such a tight area).

I've found the "extender" at Headlight Revolution - https://headlightrevolution.com/head...ck-lite-80275/ but I need a PWM.

I this this is exactly what I'm looking for at Headlight Revolution https://headlightrevolution.com/gtr-...le-connectors/ but a review says that he had to swap the wires in the clip and I don't want to do that.

Does anyone know how I can get these LEDs to work? I can't seem to find a solution.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorth View Post
I'm having a hard time finding a PWM that has a 2504 connector on both ends.

I did find this though (need to select 2010-2018 Wrangler JK):https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrate...ep-wrangler-jk

and this: https://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_0920_14.htm

I spoke with "Gabe" at Quadratec about it and all he could really tell me is that they should both fit if that's what the webpage is indicating, but clearly you can see a difference in the connector types so my faith in his knowledge is pretty low.

If I were to splice the two together so there's a 2504 on both ends it should work, right?

Unless someone knows of a direct plug-n-play that they can point me to!
Hey there,

You will need these two parts:

Quadratec Fog Lamp Anti Flicker Pulse Width Modulator for 10-19 Jeep Wrangler JK

https://www.quadratec.com/products/97109_0920_14.htm



And the Extension wiring:

Quadratec 18" Fog Light Extension Harness for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK


https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/18-fog-light-extension-harness-07-17-jeep-wrangler-jk



When you choose your year Jeep from the drop down menu the photo changes the the correct plug photo.

Have a great day,
Hailey
Hilldweller likes this.

__________________

We Price Match, PM us for a quote
Forum Member Discounts

Active Hours: 9am-5pm EST Monday - Friday
Wrangler PartsWrangler WheelsWrangler TiresWrangler Lift KitsWrangler BumpersWrangler Soft Tops
Quadratec is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC