Need some audio help - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By STRIDER946
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-17-2019, 07:38 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
PeedoPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 87
Need some audio help

A few months ago and I did a complete Kicker swap (both 6.5" and 3.5" in the dash and soundbar). It's definitely an improvement, but it still sounds like the speakers are bottoming out. Definitely not clipping. It's like they get to a certain point and just fall flat. Still using the factory 130S headunit. I've read about using polyfil in both the front lower pods and in the soundbar, would that pssibly help my situation?

__________________
2017 2dr hardtop Sport S in Granite Crystal, 6 speed with 3.73. Bestop Sunrider. 77Kick10s.
PeedoPie is offline   Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:46 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
ScottDBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 15
I had polyfil in my front pods when I upgraded to JBL 6 1/2's and had a similar issue. A radio technician told me he cuts the back of the pods out to allow air flow and we did that to mine today and it made a huge difference in the sound. Hope this helps.

ScottDBrown is offline   Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
STRIDER946's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 675
The only thing that will help is a new HU. You need more power. A powered sub will make all the difference too.
MW2016 and Sabrewulf like this.
STRIDER946 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
rednroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDBrown View Post
I had polyfil in my front pods when I upgraded to JBL 6 1/2's and had a similar issue. A radio technician told me he cuts the back of the pods out to allow air flow and we did that to mine today and it made a huge difference in the sound. Hope this helps.

I've been considering doing something similar with mine. I've got Inifinity Kappa Perfect 6.5in woofers installed in the front pods and always figured these speakers could be performing so much better and likely are limited by the size of the pods.

I'ld be interested to see how the pods were modded if you have any pics available. I would also like to better understand what you mean by it made a huge difference in sound. Louder? More Low end? Reduced noises? Etc?
__________________
DIYer mantra: "It doesn't cost that much more to just do it yourself."
rednroll is online now   Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
ScottDBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 15
Yes it seems to sound louder and clearer to me at mid and higher volumes and no more speaker popping sounds due to the limited space. I cannot tell a difference at low volumes say less than 10 or so. Sorry I did not take any photos but the tech basically took a saw and just cut the end of the pods off to open them up completely for the speaker to breath.

I also added a Kicker hideaway as well for more bass over the 6 1/2's and it sounds so clear and can tell there is a sub in the Jeep. Not enough to rattle the windows, but enough you can feel the bass.
ScottDBrown is offline   Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 16
Definitely sounds like a power issue. A head unit or weatherproof amplifier would help.
michie910 is offline   Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
rednroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDBrown View Post
Yes it seems to sound louder and clearer to me at mid and higher volumes and no more speaker popping sounds due to the limited space. I cannot tell a difference at low volumes say less than 10 or so. Sorry I did not take any photos but the tech basically took a saw and just cut the end of the pods off to open them up completely for the speaker to breath.

I also added a Kicker hideaway as well for more bass over the 6 1/2's and it sounds so clear and can tell there is a sub in the Jeep. Not enough to rattle the windows, but enough you can feel the bass.

Thanks for the further details. I have a pretty elaborate audio system in my JKU. The wind from the sound pressure will make my hair move if I turn it up loud enough. I'm able to make EQ adjustments to the individual speakers. A couple weeks ago I noticed a buzzy sound coming from my front 6.5s on certain songs. I initially thought it was the trim rattling but when I took all the trim off, it was still rattling where it seemed the rattle was coming from the actual speaker. So I decided to adjust my EQ filters and ended up removing much more low-end than I had expected to get rid of the buzz. I really want to get that low-end back from those speakers so I've been considering adding a port or something to allow those speakers to breath in hopes they would stop buzzing. I used to be taking the low-end to those 6.5's down to 60 Hz, but now to remove the buzz they're set at a 120Hz cut-off and I lost a lot of warmth fill from the front



What I'm thinking of doing is just taking a 3in hole saw and cutting the backs out of those pods and that's the reason I was interested in seeing what your sound guy did.
__________________
DIYer mantra: "It doesn't cost that much more to just do it yourself."
rednroll is online now   Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
screwlose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeedoPie View Post
Still using the factory 130S headunit.
Any of the Stock headunits are junk if you want actual volume
You can put an Amp on the stock hu and that would help but then you are still just amplifying a junk signal
If you want a decent volume you will need to replace the hu



Quote:
Originally Posted by rednroll View Post
What I'm thinking of doing is just taking a 3in hole saw and cutting the backs out of those pods and that's the reason I was interested in seeing what your sound guy did.
I wouldn't just cut a hole anywhere, its likely to cause more rattling or buzzing as as a vented or ported box which you're trying to create needs more reinforcement in its sidewalls to keep everything together.
If anything you probably have a lose screw holding one of the speakers in.
Or the back of the soundbar may be rattling against the rest of the roll bar.
You could put anything from a piece of fabric in between there or an actual piece of sound deadening foam, Dynamat has been a popular product for a long time and is pretty easy to find.
But just cutting a hole in a speaker box will cause more problems than it would solve.
screwlose is offline   Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:57 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
oldballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: North Central Iowa
Posts: 22
I did the Kicker upgrade & polyfil while keeping the stock headunit. Just added a $40 amp & 10" sub off of facebook marketplace and couldn't be happier. I wasn't looking to impress others with my music just wanting it to be a more balanced sound; it's a night and day difference!!
oldballs is offline   Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Wade-jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16
I’d look into a new deck to add more adjustment, sounds like your speakers are playing all frequencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeedoPie View Post
A few months ago and I did a complete Kicker swap (both 6.5" and 3.5" in the dash and soundbar). It's definitely an improvement, but it still sounds like the speakers are bottoming out. Definitely not clipping. It's like they get to a certain point and just fall flat. Still using the factory 130S headunit. I've read about using polyfil in both the front lower pods and in the soundbar, would that pssibly help my situation?
Wade-jk is offline   Quote
Old Today, 05:45 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Ca
Posts: 549
Head unit is the most important thing for great sound.

It's like having $5000 speakers on a $50 stereo.

Sabrewulf is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Audio Help: 130 with Alpine Audio frojp JK Tech Forum 19 06-29-2017 12:12 AM
Need some audio help ... PLEASE! Ceagar Communications and Electronics 17 12-12-2013 11:54 PM
Need some help on stock audio (save some labor) NeutronJack JK General Discussion Forum 1 10-09-2013 08:09 PM
Need some audio help tuhmayo TJ General Discussion Forum 9 07-12-2013 03:09 PM
CA: Memphia Audio Sub, JL Audio Amp, Just4effect enc. Richd1963 Classifieds Archive 1 10-24-2011 03:30 PM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC