Need to buy axles - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-28-2015, 09:01 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 34
Need to buy axles

Anyone have stock jku front axle housing for sale?
I believe they are Dana 30
Let me know if anyone has any for sale.

Jeepwranglerallday is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
ShutterBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 791
According to your profile, you are in Florida. I am in NE Ohio and know of at least one. Mine will be available in March, but that doesn't do you any good today. I'd give it to you if you paid for shipping.

You might consider a Teraflex 30 housing. They aren't cheap, but it's really strong and you can use all of your existing components.

__________________

Check out my build thread on JKFreaks.com
2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My Lil' Mule
JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
ShutterBug is offline   Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:16 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,265
Why spend money on a Dana 30 (even an aftermarket one) when you can spend just a few bucks more for a Dana 44?
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/4spd Atlas/D30/D44
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-29-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
ShutterBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 791
A Dana 44 is exactly the same as a Dana 30 when it comes to tube thickness, size of the C's, etc. The only difference is the size of the pinion.

If he wants to save money, and build a stronger rig, the Tera 30 is a great option. A much stronger housing than the D30 or D44.

However, a D44 trussed with C-gussets is just as strong as the Tera 30 (IMHO), but you're talking all new drivetrain components as well.

The Tera 30 option was one that would allow him to keep his gears, axles, etc.
__________________

Check out my build thread on JKFreaks.com
2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My Lil' Mule
JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
ShutterBug is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:05 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
WatchThis!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Texas
Posts: 5,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterBug View Post
A Dana 44 is exactly the same as a Dana 30 when it comes to tube thickness, size of the C's, etc. The only difference is the size of the pinion.

If he wants to save money, and build a stronger rig, the Tera 30 is a great option. A much stronger housing than the D30 or D44.

However, a D44 trussed with C-gussets is just as strong as the Tera 30 (IMHO), but you're talking all new drivetrain components as well.

The Tera 30 option was one that would allow him to keep his gears, axles, etc.
If someone is wanting to replace a busted housing or make one stronger on the cheap they can get a used housing and spend 30 minutes with a welded before they install their old parts.


p.s. the axle shafts, carrier, ring gear and pinion bearings are all bigger on a D44 not just the pinion. A housing can easily be made stronger on the cheap but not the important parts that count twards how "strong" an axle is.
__________________
I'm here to participate. I didnt come all this way just to watch.

My jeep's thread https://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/che...st-111461.html
WatchThis! is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
derf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 3,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterBug View Post
A Dana 44 is exactly the same as a Dana 30 when it comes to tube thickness, size of the C's, etc. The only difference is the size of the pinion.

If he wants to save money, and build a stronger rig, the Tera 30 is a great option. A much stronger housing than the D30 or D44.

However, a D44 trussed with C-gussets is just as strong as the Tera 30 (IMHO), but you're talking all new drivetrain components as well.

The Tera 30 option was one that would allow him to keep his gears, axles, etc.
Sure, the housing is stronger but the Terra 30 has one critical weakness. The Dana 30 ring gear and pinion is dramatically weaker than the Dana 44. For just a few extra bucks, you can get the same upgrades in strength but with a Dana 44 ring and pinion, not to mention the 35 spline axle shafts that are much stronger than the 27 spline (or 30 spline if you can find them) that go in a Dana 30.

A Terra Dana 30 is stronger than a factory D44 for sure. But when you can get a Dana 44 for not a lot more, there's just no reason to waste money on a D30 of any kind.
__________________
2012 JK - 3.6/NSG370/4spd Atlas/D30/D44
2001 XJ - 4.0/AW4/NP242/D44/D44
1986 J10 - 401/700R4/NP208/D44HD/D60FF

My gear ratio calculator
derf is offline   Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
ShutterBug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 791
Most of my response was because the OP, in another thread, posted that he broke his housing, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis! View Post
If someone is wanting to replace a busted housing or make one stronger on the cheap they can get a used housing and spend 30 minutes with a welded before they install their old parts.
Yes, absolutely, I agree with this 100%. That would be another option. A Dana 30 housing with a truss and C gussets. I would suggest it takes linger than 30 minutes, however, to weld on a truss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Sure, the housing is stronger but the Terra 30 has one critical weakness. The Dana 30 ring gear and pinion is dramatically weaker than the Dana 44. For just a few extra bucks, you can get the same upgrades in strength but with a Dana 44 ring and pinion, not to mention the 35 spline axle shafts that are much stronger than the 27 spline (or 30 spline if you can find them) that go in a Dana 30.

A Terra Dana 30 is stronger than a factory D44 for sure. But when you can get a Dana 44 for not a lot more, there's just no reason to waste money on a D30 of any kind.
As I stated above, I believe the OP has a busted housing. I was merely suggesting an option that would give him a stronger housing while reusing all of his existing components. Yes, the smaller ring and pinion is a detriment, but could be replaced with stronger gears (maybe even cryo treated as well) and he could replace his shafts with RCVs, etc., etc.

Lots of options, including a Mopar D44, ProRock 44, Rock Jock, Mopar 60, etc. All are good, some just a lot more expensive than others.

I disagree with you that the Tera 30 is a waste of money. I have a friend that has been wheeling his Tera 30 for years and wheels it hard. Of course, he has since upgraded to RCVs.

It gives the OP an option.

__________________

Check out my build thread on JKFreaks.com
2014 Black JK Sport-icon - My Lil' Mule
JCR Offroad | Rock Krawler | Barnes 4WD | Artec | RCV | Ten Factory
ShutterBug is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
axle , axle housing , broken , for sale

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC