No lift with roof rack, metal front/rear bumpers, and 33s? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-06-2018, 03:16 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Jensen Beach
Posts: 21
No lift with roof rack, metal front/rear bumpers, and 33s?

I have decided to wait to get a lift kit for the moment. Instead, I have opted buy a front and rear bumper, along with replacement shocks.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/dv8-o...s-0717-jk.html
https://www.extremeterrain.com/dv8-o...mper-0717.html
https://www.extremeterrain.com/fox2p...lift-0717.html

I bought my Jeep used and it already had 33s on it with a full roof rack. I am wondering whether a metal roof rack and front and rear bumpers will weigh the Jeep down too much for the stock coil springs to handle, especially with the larger tires. What worries me is the potential rubbing of the tires on the stock fender flares. They are body-colored and I do not want them to get damaged. I will end up doing a 3 inch lift later down the road, but will this work for the time being?
Here's how it looks now before the other stuff is added:
https://imgur.com/a/Ef1ff

ILAGER is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington, NC
Posts: 3,220
Nothing wrong with going that route. I'm sure you will lose some height with the bumpers. How much, I'm not sure. You could always get the weight specs of the bumpers and add that to your rig (mulch bags, concrete pavers, person sitting on bumper, whatever) and see how it looks.

The only thing I would be hesitant with is dropping that much money on shocks when I know I'll be going to a lift before long. Hell, you could go with the Rancho 2" lift kit with 9000XL adjustable shocks for less than the price of those shocks. Not trying to stear you away from the Fox shocks. They are very good shocks. It's just that you already stated you would go with a lift eventually, so I'd have a hard time spending $500 on something that will be replaced soon-ish.

__________________
-Jeff-
'17 JKU Big Bear Build Thread | Rancho 2" Progressive Kit | Teraflex Sport LCAs | 285/75/17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
4fit is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #3
Newb

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
The Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Laurinburg, NC
Posts: 1,297
Yes, you will lose spring height by adding additional weight to your Jeep. Whether or not the decrease in height is “too” much is up to you, and only you. Whether or not the tires rub on your painted fenders depends on much more than spring height. What width tires are you running? What is the backspacing on your wheels? Do you have wheel spacers installed?

Joe
__________________
2015 Sunset Orange JK Unlimited Hard Rock,JW Speaker LED headlights and fog lights, Mopar Stage III lift, Warn 10th Anniversary Rubicon Winch, AEV Tire Carrier, AEV Fuel Caddy, AEV Hi-Lift Jack And Pull-Pal Mount, Full and half doors,Dual tops,Manual Transmission, 730N, Side Airbags, factory tow package with 4-wire and 7-wire plugs, Fox ATS Steering Stabilizer, Teraflex Forged Adjustable Front Track Bar, Mopar Beadlocks,Cobra 75 WXST,35x12.5x17 BFG K02 tires Garvin Expedition Rack, ARB Awning.
The Professor is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
USStrongman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: West Texas & Yellowstone
Posts: 2,253
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

Shocks make zero sense at this point. Other factors you are not considering are daily driving factors like extra roll into corners and such. Adding the bumper/rack weight, with the extra tire height without springs will change the handling characteristics that shocks alone wont fix.

Dive into a Rancho 2" leveling/lift kit (Springs shocks) for less than quality FOX shocks.
USStrongman is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:04 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Jensen Beach
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
Yes, you will lose spring height by adding additional weight to your Jeep. Whether or not the decrease in height is “too” much is up to you, and only you. Whether or not the tires rub on your painted fenders depends on much more than spring height. What width tires are you running? What is the backspacing on your wheels? Do you have wheel spacers installed?

Joe
I am not exactly sure the size of the tires other than the fact that they are 33s. The tires do stick out a good inch beyond the fenders. The only thing I am worried about is rubbing. I don't intend on doing any sort of major off-roading until I get the lift (in about a year). As long as daily-driving conditions do not cause tire rub, i'm completely fine with it.
ILAGER is offline   Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:12 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Jensen Beach
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit View Post
Nothing wrong with going that route. I'm sure you will lose some height with the bumpers. How much, I'm not sure. You could always get the weight specs of the bumpers and add that to your rig (mulch bags, concrete pavers, person sitting on bumper, whatever) and see how it looks.

The only thing I would be hesitant with is dropping that much money on shocks when I know I'll be going to a lift before long. Hell, you could go with the Rancho 2" lift kit with 9000XL adjustable shocks for less than the price of those shocks. Not trying to stear you away from the Fox shocks. They are very good shocks. It's just that you already stated you would go with a lift eventually, so I'd have a hard time spending $500 on something that will be replaced soon-ish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USStrongman View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this.

Shocks make zero sense at this point. Other factors you are not considering are daily driving factors like extra roll into corners and such. Adding the bumper/rack weight, with the extra tire height without springs will change the handling characteristics that shocks alone wont fix.

Dive into a Rancho 2" leveling/lift kit (Springs shocks) for less than quality FOX shocks.
I have already ordered these parts. I intend on using these shocks for about a year and then selling them. I know that shocks are not a solution to ride height, but the stock shocks are rusty and leaking. That is the reason for me replacing them. Initially I was going to spend about $3,000 on a lift with shocks, springs, control arms, extended brakes lines, etc... I thought that this would be a good temporary solution. By doing this, I will be able to get the meaner look (with the addition of bumpers). Plus, I still have about 10 months left of my warranty. So, by refraining from lifting the Jeep until then, I will not void my warranty. Yes the FOX shocks are quite expensive, but they are already on the way lol.
ILAGER is offline   Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
Newb

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
The Professor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Laurinburg, NC
Posts: 1,297
You should seriously consider sending those shocks back. In ten months once your warranty expires and you install a lift, you will need to purchase new shocks. Used shocks are virtually worthless and you will essentially be throwing your money away.

Send the shocks back and live with the shocks you have for 10 months. Although they may be rusty and leaking, if you can push down on your bumper hard at any corner and not have your Jeep bounce more than one cycle, the shocks are still “good enough”

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILAGER View Post
I have already ordered these parts. I intend on using these shocks for about a year and then selling them. I know that shocks are not a solution to ride height, but the stock shocks are rusty and leaking. That is the reason for me replacing them. Initially I was going to spend about $3,000 on a lift with shocks, springs, control arms, extended brakes lines, etc... I thought that this would be a good temporary solution. By doing this, I will be able to get the meaner look (with the addition of bumpers). Plus, I still have about 10 months left of my warranty. So, by refraining from lifting the Jeep until then, I will not void my warranty. Yes the FOX shocks are quite expensive, but they are already on the way lol.

__________________
2015 Sunset Orange JK Unlimited Hard Rock,JW Speaker LED headlights and fog lights, Mopar Stage III lift, Warn 10th Anniversary Rubicon Winch, AEV Tire Carrier, AEV Fuel Caddy, AEV Hi-Lift Jack And Pull-Pal Mount, Full and half doors,Dual tops,Manual Transmission, 730N, Side Airbags, factory tow package with 4-wire and 7-wire plugs, Fox ATS Steering Stabilizer, Teraflex Forged Adjustable Front Track Bar, Mopar Beadlocks,Cobra 75 WXST,35x12.5x17 BFG K02 tires Garvin Expedition Rack, ARB Awning.
The Professor is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
33s , bumpers , lift , no lift , shocks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.