Oil change - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
White.pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 23
Oil change

Around how many miles do you guys get an oil change? Dealer says 3,000 miles want your guys opinion

White.pony is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by White.pony View Post
Around how many miles do you guys get an oil change? Dealer says 3,000 miles want your guys opinion
Make sure you let your Dealer know there's a new show on the portable called "All in the Family" it's supposed to be really funny.....

All seriousness, Lots of great info on this Forum, Top right - "Search" is your friend.... and just say No to the 3,000 miles.

__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
CptJobe01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 136
I stick around 4k in all my vehicles. Each can go longer but I tend to be on the safe side.
CptJobe01 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #4
Wrangler Forum Crew

WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 15,353
I change my oil and rotate my tires every 5k.

Easy to remember that way.
__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is online now   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 6,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by White.pony View Post
Around how many miles do you guys get an oil change? Dealer says 3,000 miles want your guys opinion
There are already many, many, many threads on this. They usually generate into a headed debate.

I have mine changed 4x per year, regardless of miles. The last interval was 1,245 miles.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
RETIRED MODERATER

WF Lifetime Member
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Hot as Hell Arizona, the home of the mighty Dragon. Beware of your surrounding, because of DANGER!
Posts: 34,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
I change my oil and rotate my tires every 5k.

Easy to remember that way.
^^^This...
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Shaking at 40-70 MPH, Read this!!!

The Mighty Dragon is not concerned,
with
the needs of the Hunter....
Old Dogger is online now   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Bamafann686's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 96
When the percentage is at or below 5%. That was just over 9k last time. Just don't go past 10K or 1 year and you will be within speck. Oh and if you want to do it at every fill up that is within speck also.
__________________
2014 JKUR Dune 33X12.50-15 Duratrac tires on Level 8 trackers, Teraflex leveling kit, Mid Eauto Grills winch bumper with XRC genII 9,500 lbs winch, SpiderWebshade
Bamafann686 is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
There are already many, many, many threads on this. They usually generate into a headed debate.

I have mine changed 4x per year, regardless of miles. The last interval was 1,245 miles.
You got one of those sweet free oil change deals if I remember correctly.
kik is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
SleepSkateSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CoMO
Posts: 33
Oil change + Tire Rotation every 5-6k miles.
SleepSkateSnow is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Ed Pursell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Allentown,Pa
Posts: 973
Many threads on this, I'm old school,,,, 3,000 or so miles, and tire rotation every other oil change...Just my habit, but I feel good. I only put about 8,000 per year on my Jeep, but it is my daily driver..Been doing this since the late 70's on all my cars and Jeeps, oil is the "life blood" I was always told.. Just my opinion.
__________________
~Ed~
Ed Pursell is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Mrpositraction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Janesville, WI
Posts: 354
Oil change with good synthetic and oem filter and tire rotation about every 5000 miles. I do a lot of highway, if I off-roaded more (maybe one day when time allows) I would change more frequently. I have been using Penzoil Platinum Pure PLUS Sythetic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2041544245.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	2598313
__________________
2015 JKU Hard Rock Edition, Mopar 2" Fox Shock Lift, Power Stop Rotors/pads, JW Speaker J Series, Superchips Flashpaq, and much more......
Mrpositraction is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
2015Unlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cinnaminson, NJ
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpositraction View Post
Oil change with good synthetic and oem filter and tire rotation about every 5000 miles. I do a lot of highway, if I off-roaded more (maybe one day when time allows) I would change more frequently. I have been using Penzoil Platinum Pure PLUS Sythetic.

Attachment 2598313
Im with you.. Cheaper oil I would change at 3000 miles. Is just the way I am
__________________
------------------------
2015 Sport S Unlimited
3.73, Trac-Loc
side steps, automatic, connectivity pkg, Sunrider® Soft Top
2015Unlimited is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Old Syko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpositraction View Post
Oil change with good synthetic and oem filter and tire rotation about every 5000 miles. I do a lot of highway, if I off-roaded more (maybe one day when time allows) I would change more frequently. I have been using Penzoil Platinum Pure PLUS Sythetic.

Attachment 2598313
I use Makers Mark rather than Budweiser.
Old Syko is online now   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:32 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
tas2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Panama City, FL
Posts: 71
I'm wondering why a dealer would contradict the manual. $?
__________________
'15 JK Sport WW, Tank, A/C, Tow (before I knew better)
tas2015 is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 6,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post
You got one of those sweet free oil change deals if I remember correctly.
Yes, that's me. Free oil changes for life. They always trying to sell my wife some service when she takes it in for the free oil change but I've warned her about that.

Most recently, they wrote up a recommendation for the following:

1. Transmission flush - $189.99
2. Fuel injection - $169.99
3. Throttle body cleaning - $139.99
4. Front differential fluid - $121.99
5. Rear differential fluid - $149.99
6. Power steering flush - $129.99

At the bottom of all that it says, "POSSIBLY NEXT SERVICE".

Our Jeep had 30,000 miles on it at the time. I bought 4 quarts of Royal Purple off Amazon for $81 and did the differential fluid change myself.

I'll also change the transmission fluid myself when it is time. My maintenance schedule says 120,000 miles but I may change it sooner than that. Those other things can wait indefinitely.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Mr AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by kik View Post

You got one of those sweet free oil change deals if I remember correctly.
Man, I give you guys credit for taking your vehicle into the dealership just for an oil change... free or not. No way i could do it. That's like going to a hospital to have your nails clipped.
Mr AMC is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,737
If the dealer bothered to read the owner's manual he would know that for severe driving conditions, it's 4000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. For normal driving conditions, it's the oil minder or one year, whichever comes first. If you do your own, be sure to use the MOPAR OEM oil filter. If you don't, well read the thread on this forum by the guy who had to shell out $7000 for a new motor for his new JKU. I would also recommend switching to synthetic the first time around.
AlaskaErik is offline   Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:04 PM   #18
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
Yes, that's me. Free oil changes for life. They always trying to sell my wife some service when she takes it in for the free oil change but I've warned her about that.

Most recently, they wrote up a recommendation for the following:

1. Transmission flush - $189.99
2. Fuel injection - $169.99
3. Throttle body cleaning - $139.99
4. Front differential fluid - $121.99
5. Rear differential fluid - $149.99
6. Power steering flush - $129.99

At the bottom of all that it says, "POSSIBLY NEXT SERVICE".

Our Jeep had 30,000 miles on it at the time. I bought 4 quarts of Royal Purple off Amazon for $81 and did the differential fluid change myself.

I'll also change the transmission fluid myself when it is time. My maintenance schedule says 120,000 miles but I may change it sooner than that. Those other things can wait indefinitely.
That dealer has a great business model. I'm surprised that they all don't have "free" lifetime oil changes to get customers in the door at least 4X a year where they can attempt to up-sell other service, plus sales. You're aware of what's a scam and what's not, but how many customers might not know. Look at all the profit that they might eventually get from the "free" oil change program. Kudos to them.
kik is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:19 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
lanslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr AMC View Post
Man, I give you guys credit for taking your vehicle into the dealership just for an oil change... free or not. No way i could do it. That's like going to a hospital to have your nails clipped.
...and getting a Mirsa infection
__________________
Copperhead Pearlcoat 2014 JKU WILLYS Wheeler
24W, premium soft top, tow hitch, Antenna X, McGuard black lug nuts, Mopar cargo slush mat, door sill guards, tail light guards, fuel door, keyed gas cap, Rubi 10A bumpers, 10A rock rails, 10A front skid plate and 10A red tow hooks
Ordered:3/9 ~ Built:4/8 ~ Shipped:4/11 ~ Delivered:4/23
lanslide is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Higher Peaks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas & Park City, Utah
Posts: 409
I always use an 18 year old single malt weight oil when I change my own oil every 5K miles (OEM filter). Plus the tire rotation.

See ya on the Trail!!!
__________________
2014 JKUR-X
Higher Peaks is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #21
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Quadratec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 2,507
On my VW diesel: 10,000 miles
On my LS1 Trans Am: 5,000 miles
On my 2015 JKU: I'm at 3400 miles and no oil change yet. According to my Mopar Companion App, under "Vehicle Maintenance" it states:

Next Maintenance Due At 10,000 Miles

Upcoming maintenance items based on your current mileage.

-Change Engine oil
-Replace Oil filter
-Rotate Wheels & tires



-Rick
__________________

We Price Match, PM us for a quote
Forum Member Discounts

Active Hours: 9am-5pm EST Monday - Friday
Wrangler PartsWrangler WheelsWrangler TiresWrangler Lift KitsWrangler BumpersWrangler Soft Tops
Quadratec is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:26 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
lanslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratec View Post
On my VW diesel: 10,000 miles
On my LS1 Trans Am: 5,000 miles
On my 2015 JKU: I'm at 3400 miles and no oil change yet. According to my Mopar Companion App, under "Vehicle Maintenance" it states:

Next Maintenance Due At 10,000 Miles

Upcoming maintenance items based on your current mileage.

-Change Engine oil
-Replace Oil filter
-Rotate Wheels & tires



-Rick
How do I get that app?
__________________
Copperhead Pearlcoat 2014 JKU WILLYS Wheeler
24W, premium soft top, tow hitch, Antenna X, McGuard black lug nuts, Mopar cargo slush mat, door sill guards, tail light guards, fuel door, keyed gas cap, Rubi 10A bumpers, 10A rock rails, 10A front skid plate and 10A red tow hooks
Ordered:3/9 ~ Built:4/8 ~ Shipped:4/11 ~ Delivered:4/23
lanslide is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:37 PM   #23
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Crawfordville, FL
Posts: 318
When I got my new Sahara back home from purchasing it up in Georgia, it had 280 miles or so on it. I changed the oil and filter and the oil looked pretty dark. I took it on a trip up to Nashville and down to Natchez, MS and put 1600 or so more miles on it by the time we got back home. Changed the oil and filter again. Oil didn't look nearly as dark as the first oil change, but still noticeably darker than when it was fresh. Just checked the dipstick yesterday after putting another few hundred miles on it, and the oil still looks like new. Planning another trip where we'll probably be putting about 2,000 more miles on the odometer. Depends on what the oil looks like as to whether or not I will change it when we get back home.

If the oil looks dirty, change it. It IS dirty. Do you own oil changes and LOOK at the oil coming out of the crankcase and on the dipstick and judge from that how often you think you should be changing the oil.

Asking this kind of question is much like asking everyone's opinion on how often you should be taking a shower.
Rich Z is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North GA
Posts: 615
I change the filter every 5000. They all get Mobile 1 oil every 10,000.
jmr40 is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Mr AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
When I got my new Sahara back home from purchasing it up in Georgia, it had 280 miles or so on it. I changed the oil and filter and the oil looked pretty dark. I took it on a trip up to Nashville and down to Natchez, MS and put 1600 or so more miles on it by the time we got back home. Changed the oil and filter again. Oil didn't look nearly as dark as the first oil change, but still noticeably darker than when it was fresh. Just checked the dipstick yesterday after putting another few hundred miles on it, and the oil still looks like new. Planning another trip where we'll probably be putting about 2,000 more miles on the odometer. Depends on what the oil looks like as to whether or not I will change it when we get back home.

If the oil looks dirty, change it. It IS dirty. Do you own oil changes and LOOK at the oil coming out of the crankcase and on the dipstick and judge from that how often you think you should be changing the oil.

Asking this kind of question is much like asking everyone's opinion on how often you should be taking a shower.
You're exactly the kind of guy I love to buy a vehicle from. Kudos to you sir... kudos.
Mr AMC is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue baby sound View Post
i change my oil and rotate my tires every 5k.

Easy to remember that way.
x2
HugoTheImpaler is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
lexington01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
When I got my new Sahara back home from purchasing it up in Georgia, it had 280 miles or so on it. I changed the oil and filter and the oil looked pretty dark. I took it on a trip up to Nashville and down to Natchez, MS and put 1600 or so more miles on it by the time we got back home. Changed the oil and filter again. Oil didn't look nearly as dark as the first oil change, but still noticeably darker than when it was fresh. Just checked the dipstick yesterday after putting another few hundred miles on it, and the oil still looks like new. Planning another trip where we'll probably be putting about 2,000 more miles on the odometer. Depends on what the oil looks like as to whether or not I will change it when we get back home.

If the oil looks dirty, change it. It IS dirty. Do you own oil changes and LOOK at the oil coming out of the crankcase and on the dipstick and judge from that how often you think you should be changing the oil.

Asking this kind of question is much like asking everyone's opinion on how often you should be taking a shower.
Sorry but that is simply not true. Darkening of the oil has nothing to do with whether it needs to be changed or not. The black color is a byproduct of combustion; something that happens in every single engine and is perfectly normal. You will drive yourself crazy and waste perfectly good oil by changing it based on appearance alone. Judging oil (or other fluids) based on how it looks is a tactic the oil change shops use to try to get you to pay for unnecessary fluid changes.

Edmunds is a very respectable site. Read number four:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/top-...motor-oil.html
lexington01 is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:10 PM   #28
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington01 View Post
Sorry but that is simply not true. Darkening of the oil has nothing to do with whether it needs to be changed or not. The black color is a byproduct of combustion; something that happens in every single engine and is perfectly normal. You will drive yourself crazy and waste perfectly good oil by changing it based on appearance alone. Judging oil (or other fluids) based on how it looks is a tactic the oil change shops use to try to get you to pay for unnecessary fluid changes.

Edmunds is a very respectable site. Read number four:

Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil
This is definitely correct and on the $.
kik is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #29
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Crawfordville, FL
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington01 View Post
Sorry but that is simply not true. Darkening of the oil has nothing to do with whether it needs to be changed or not. The black color is a byproduct of combustion; something that happens in every single engine and is perfectly normal. You will drive yourself crazy and waste perfectly good oil by changing it based on appearance alone. Judging oil (or other fluids) based on how it looks is a tactic the oil change shops use to try to get you to pay for unnecessary fluid changes.

Edmunds is a very respectable site. Read number four:

Top 7 Urban Legends About Motor Oil
Then please explain to me how vehicles I have had in the past will have pristine looking oil after being maintained properly for years? If you let sludge and contaminants build up by not changing the oil often enough, you are going to get discolored oil. Oil that is discolored is contaminated with something other than just the oil itself, is it not? And those contaminants cannot be good for keeping the oil fit to do the job it has been designed to do, eh? Yes or no? So therefore........ take the next step in logic...

So you keep doing oil changes the way you believe is best, and I'll keep doing mine the way I think is best. That way we can both be happy.
Rich Z is offline   Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Mr AMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 959
Hey are we all about to get into an old fashioned, knuckle-busting, knee dragging, winner take all oil fight? We are?? Ok... I'll go get the beer...

Mr AMC is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.