Rancho 2" Sport system (w/4 springs) - Page 114 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree2287Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #3391
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,049
Had the alignment checked today while at another 4x4 shop getting prices on a big brake kit.

Here is what it spit out. They didn't;t recommend doing anything and said it's fine as it sits...

Rancho 2" lift with the Rancho geometry brackets in the top hole (for 2" lift). Thoughts?



raqball is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #3392
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
Had the alignment checked today while at another 4x4 shop getting prices on a big brake kit.

Here is what it spit out. They didn't;t recommend doing anything and said it's fine as it sits...

Rancho 2" lift with the Rancho geometry brackets in the top hole (for 2" lift). Thoughts?

Adjust your toe and call it a day

RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #3393
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoSportJKU View Post
Adjust your toe and call it a day
I don't know jack about alignments but they said it was fine as is.. Said toe was fine but could be tweaked a little but not worth them charging me for. They did the check for free...

I do have geometry brackets installed but can't lower caster any as they are already set to the lowest lift setting unless I removed them..

In a nutshell, he said it's a-ok as is, no?
raqball is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #3394
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I don't know jack about alignments but they said it was fine as is.. Said toe was fine but could be tweaked a little but not worth them charging me for. They did the check for free...

I do have geometry brackets installed but can't lower caster any as they are already set to the lowest lift setting unless I removed them..

In a nutshell, he said it's a-ok as is, no?
I'm going to quote @Pressurized from another thread, as I and others put a lot of weight into his suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressurized View Post
Yea, on a 3.5, I would want to see caster around 4.5. If the lowers are below 23", lengthen them a little. If they are above 23-1/16, shorten the uppers a little.

As for the toe, i like .09 per side for a total of .18. Your total is close, but the side to side is out... Is the steering wheel straight when going down the road?
raqball likes this.
RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #3395
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoSportJKU View Post
I'm going to quote @Pressurized from another thread, as I and others put a lot of weight into his suggestions.
Well it drives great and the wheel is straight... I pressed him on if I should get the toe adjusted and he said he could dial it in more precisely if I wanted but he didn't feel it was worth the cost of alignment charge...

I did see the driver side was .20 and that's why I pressed him on it... He insisted it was fine as is and was not worth the $90 to make the adjustment.

I live in a condo with very strict rules. Heck I got a warning a few weeks ago because I swapped out my steering stabilizer. I am sure they'd go into meltdown mode if I had it raised up and wheels off so not really something I can measure and do myself..

I am just trying to get it dialed in after the lift and larger tires...
raqball is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 10:50 AM   #3396
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,113
The difference in toe between the two sides is likely because the steering wheel was not straight when they measured it. That is typically not something to worry about. If the difference is really high I tend to think of it as a warning that they did not put much effort into what they were doing.
You could have them adjust the toe to get it right, or you could take a little toe out of it by adjusting the tie rod so that it is slightly longer. Too much toe does increase tire wear. It also tends to make the vehicle drive more stable.
raqball likes this.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #3397
Jeeper
 
XxSullyxX123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I don't know jack about alignments but they said it was fine as is.. Said toe was fine but could be tweaked a little but not worth them charging me for. They did the check for free...

I do have geometry brackets installed but can't lower caster any as they are already set to the lowest lift setting unless I removed them..

In a nutshell, he said it's a-ok as is, no?
If it feels good its likely fine. Geo brackets are usually a pinch overkill for this lift (aka adds back a bit too much castor) which is why I and other guys went with the TF sport LCAs and other brands as well.
raqball likes this.
__________________
2017 JKUR in Rhino
Rancho 2 Sport Suspension w/ TF Sport front LCAs, Method Roost 17x8.5 wheels, 285/70r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
XxSullyxX123 is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #3398
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSullyxX123 View Post
If it feels good its likely fine. Geo brackets are usually a pinch overkill for this lift (aka adds back a bit too much castor) which is why I and other guys went with the TF sport LCA’s and other brands as well.
I asked about the castor but remember reading somewhere here that a little to much is not a bad thing. If my castor is to high I can always remove them..

He said the castor was okay. Should I just remove the geo brackets?
XxSullyxX123 likes this.
raqball is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Thread Starter
  #3399
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,127
I go on three(3) factors in order:

- How's it drive
- How are the tires wearing

- What does the alignment readout say
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is online now   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #3400
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
I go on three(3) factors in order:

- How's it drive
- How are the tires wearing
- What does the alignment readout say
Drives fine
No clue on tire wear as they are brand new
Readout posted a few post ago

Just feels like I am fighting this thing to get it in spec......... Maybe I need to toss the geo brackets and go with LCA's...

Maybe the alignment specs from above are fine and I am just over thinking it all...
raqball is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #3401
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I asked about the castor but remember reading somewhere here that a little to much is not a bad thing. If my castor is to high I can always remove them..

He said the castor was okay. Should I just remove the geo brackets?
No. Don't remove them. Right now your caster is great. If you remove them you will have less caster and it likely won't drive as well.
raqball likes this.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:12 PM
Thread Starter
  #3402
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
Drives fine
No clue on tire wear as they are brand new
Readout posted a few post ago

Just feels like I am fighting this thing to get it in spec......... Maybe I need to toss the geo brackets and go with LCA's...

Maybe the alignment specs from above are fine and I am just over thinking it all...
Keep an eye on the tire wear and "then" if something starts to show - it'll be related to Toe in all liklihood.
Caster isn't/doesn't cause tire wear issues. IF you were experiencing high degrees of wander/flighty "light" steering, handling I'd say start throwing $$ at the caster.
Tire wear isn't going to trash your tire in a day. Keeping an eye on it... IF there is feathering, scrubbing, etc you'll see it and there is ample time to address it.
dodgeman762 and raqball like this.
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is online now   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:15 PM   #3403
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
No. Don't remove them. Right now your caster is great. If you remove them you will have less caster and it likely won't drive as well.
Thanks... I am probably just overthinking this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
Keep an eye on the tire wear and "then" IF there is feathering, scrubbing, etc you'll see it and there is ample time to address it.
Will do.. Thanks!
XxSullyxX123 likes this.
raqball is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #3404
Jeeper
 
XxSullyxX123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
Thanks... I am probably just overthinking this..



Will do.. Thanks!
Overthinking is part of the fun. Or torture. Depending on how you look at it haha. If you do end up ditching the brackets, LCAs should get you to where you want on castor.

*Shameless plug* No one has bought mine yet listed in the JK Parts thread, so if you do decide to go that route, I have a set for sale that I had with this lift and were perfect.
raqball likes this.
__________________
2017 JKUR in Rhino
Rancho 2 Sport Suspension w/ TF Sport front LCAs, Method Roost 17x8.5 wheels, 285/70r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
XxSullyxX123 is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:29 PM   #3405
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxSullyxX123 View Post
Overthinking is part of the fun. Or torture. Depending on how you look at it haha. If you do end up ditching the brackets, LCA’s should get you to where you want on castor.

*Shameless plug* No one has bought mine yet listed in the JK Parts thread, so if you do decide to go that route, I have a set for sale that I had with this lift and were perfect.
I actually think the castor is fine.. I've read a ton of posts here on the forums where most say a little extra is good. The alignment shop said the same as did @GuzziMoto .

So I am going to assume castor is a-ok. As far as the toe, the alignment guy did say it could be tweaked but he said it was fine where it is and it would not be worth doing all things considered. I took his word as he easily could have said it needed to be adjusted and charged me for an alignment. They checked it for free....
raqball is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Thread Starter
  #3406
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,127
The other "thing" about toe. Lets say you are slightly toed in (if memory serves I think I saw your one was) as you achieve speed while driving, your Jeep naturally toes Out so "if" you aren't dead nuts on in toes being slightly "in" is less of an issue than being slightly "out" on the rack.
Also, slightly "in" will contribute to greater feeling of stability than slightly "out".

This was a picture of my alignment teacher. She drove a Jeep.....
Click image for larger version

Name:	--jeep-girl-hot-cars.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	4145665
rhjeepdriver and raqball like this.
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is online now   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:40 PM   #3407
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
This was a picture of my alignment teacher. She drove a Jeep.....
Attachment 4145665
Is she accepting new students?
RubiconSS likes this.
raqball is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #3408
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
The other "thing" about toe. Lets say you are slightly toed in (if memory serves I think I saw your one was) as you achieve speed while driving, your Jeep naturally toes Out so "if" you aren't dead nuts on in toes being slightly "in" is less of an issue than being slightly "out" on the rack.
Also, slightly "in" will contribute to greater feeling of stability than slightly "out".

This was a picture of my alignment teacher. She drove a Jeep.....
Attachment 4145665
Picture of said "toe?"
rhjeepdriver and raqball like this.
RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #3409
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by raqball View Post
I actually think the castor is fine.. I've read a ton of posts here on the forums where most say a little extra is good. The alignment shop said the same as did @GuzziMoto .

So I am going to assume castor is a-ok. As far as the toe, the alignment guy did say it could be tweaked but he said it was fine where it is and it would not be worth doing all things considered. I took his word as he easily could have said it needed to be adjusted and charged me for an alignment. They checked it for free....
Just to reiterate, your caster is fine, camber isn't adjustable with OEM ball joints, and if your Jeep drives straight and the steering wheel is straight then just keep an eye on your tires for wear. I'm OCD, so personally I would set it to .08 on both sides but I'm a mechanical engineer. So sue me.
raqball likes this.
RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #3410
Jeeper
 
StingerZ16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Woodland Wa
Posts: 46
[QUOTE=raqball;34304529]Thanks... I am probably just overthinking this..


Yep.

Fix the toe and call it a day.
keep an eye on tire wear.


I had my toe dialed in and it did seem better.
StingerZ16 is offline   Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:11 AM   #3411
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingerZ16 View Post
Fix the toe and call it a day.

I had my toe dialed in and it did seem better.
I am not even going to mess with it or think about it anymore. It drives fine so I'll assume it close enough and stop stressing over it...

I ordered a big brake kit so when that gets slapped on I might get it tinkered with then.
twistedoak and Jk4papa like this.
raqball is offline   Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:45 PM   #3412
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: North East
Posts: 1
I’d just like to give a quick thank you to @RubiconSS and @Pressurized . I’m a new Wrangler owner whose spent the last 2 months learning about wheel, tire and lift sizes to determine the best approach for my first build, and this thread (as well as a few others you’ve shown up in) have been a massive help. My Rancho lift is in the mail and my wheels and tires are waiting at the shop already, and the knowledge I’ve picked up from these forums has almost certainly prevented me from making some beginners mistakes. I’ll figure out which ones it didn’t prevent me from making later. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. You’ve got a new forum member in me.
dodgeman762 and raqball like this.
WhileMyGuitarGentlyJeeps is offline   Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:29 PM   #3413
THE MIGHTY GRIZZLY!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ. In the Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry..
Posts: 24,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhileMyGuitarGentlyJeeps View Post
Id just like to give a quick thank you to @RubiconSS and @Pressurized . Im a new Wrangler owner whose spent the last 2 months learning about wheel, tire and lift sizes to determine the best approach for my first build, and this thread (as well as a few others youve shown up in) have been a massive help. My Rancho lift is in the mail and my wheels and tires are waiting at the shop already, and the knowledge Ive picked up from these forums has almost certainly prevented me from making some beginners mistakes. Ill figure out which ones it didnt prevent me from making later. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. Youve got a new forum member in me.
Welcome to the Forum.
__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Shaking at 40-70 MPH, Read this!!!

The Mighty Grizzly is not concerned,
with
the needs of the Hunter....


Click here and become a WF supporting Member
Old Dogger is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #3414
I drive Papa Smurf

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Pressurized's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 13,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhileMyGuitarGentlyJeeps View Post
Id just like to give a quick thank you to @RubiconSS and @Pressurized . Im a new Wrangler owner whose spent the last 2 months learning about wheel, tire and lift sizes to determine the best approach for my first build, and this thread (as well as a few others youve shown up in) have been a massive help. My Rancho lift is in the mail and my wheels and tires are waiting at the shop already, and the knowledge Ive picked up from these forums has almost certainly prevented me from making some beginners mistakes. Ill figure out which ones it didnt prevent me from making later. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. Youve got a new forum member in me.
Welcome and thank you for the kind words! You know, some of those mistakes? They happen to all of us... But I agree, Wrangler Forum is the best!
__________________
2012 JKU Sahara - Pro Comp LED Headlights - PRS Audio mod- SWS - GraBars - Bestop Cargo Cover

Papa Smurf - Mopar 2" Frankenlift - Teraflex Falcon Shocks - RE TB/Brackets - JKS mount/Bilstein stabilizer - Rugged Ridge XHD bumper- Yukon Gears - G2 Diff Covers - Pro Comp 8186 - Milestar Patagonia 35's - Smittybilt Rear Tire Mount - Hi-Lift

- TORQ Locker - 1310 Driveshaft - Air Bags - Full Core 4x4 Control Arms and Track Bars
Pressurized is offline   Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:31 AM
Thread Starter
  #3415
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhileMyGuitarGentlyJeeps View Post
Id just like to give a quick thank you to @RubiconSS and @Pressurized . Im a new Wrangler owner whose spent the last 2 months learning about wheel, tire and lift sizes to determine the best approach for my first build, and this thread (as well as a few others youve shown up in) have been a massive help. My Rancho lift is in the mail and my wheels and tires are waiting at the shop already, and the knowledge Ive picked up from these forums has almost certainly prevented me from making some beginners mistakes. Ill figure out which ones it didnt prevent me from making later. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. Youve got a new forum member in me.
Mom! I told you not to embarrass me in front of the guys!!! I'm locking you back in the basement.

(Thanks Man, glad to help to whatever degree I can...)
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is online now   Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #3416
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kzoo MI
Posts: 18
Just purchased this Lift with the 9000x shocks. I'm planning to use them with 285/75R16 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP's on my 2Door 6spd Sport JK.

I've also ordered the Rancho Track Bar. Am I right in saying that I may or may not need front LCA's? Do you guys run rear UCA's in a 2 door?

Thanks!
azhang253 is offline   Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #3417
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Kzoo MI
Posts: 18
Hmm, I can't edit for some reason... so sorry for the double post. Which rear track bar brackets do yall recommend?
azhang253 is offline   Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:05 PM
Thread Starter
  #3418
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhang253 View Post
Just purchased this Lift with the 9000x shocks. I'm planning to use them with 285/75R16 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP's on my 2Door 6spd Sport JK.

I've also ordered the Rancho Track Bar. Am I right in saying that I may or may not need front LCA's? Do you guys run rear UCA's in a 2 door?

Thanks!
You can see how it drives. Mine ran great (no wandering or lightness in the front end indicative of too little caster)
Adj Rancho LCAs were added (by me) a month or two later and the ride got even better but it was great W/O.
The other caster magic coupled with re- parallelling the stock LCA is the Rancho Geo Corr brackets.
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is online now   Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:00 PM   #3419
Jeeper
 
pedalwrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by azhang253 View Post
Just purchased this Lift with the 9000x shocks. I'm planning to use them with 285/75R16 Dick Cepek Trail Country EXP's on my 2Door 6spd Sport JK.

I've also ordered the Rancho Track Bar. Am I right in saying that I may or may not need front LCA's? Do you guys run rear UCA's in a 2 door?

Thanks!

Like RubiconSS said, see how it drives before you mess with caster, BUT.... My experience with my light 2 door Sport was that I got over 2.5" in the front and it was very 'flighty' in the steering. I went with JKS fixed lcas and it drives perfect- to me, you may feel differently. In the rear, I got over 2" and the axle was off center, noticeably, from several feet away. I used an adjustable rear track bar for that.
__________________
2018 JK with tires and stuff
pedalwrench is online now   Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #3420
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 80
Guys - about to buy this kit with 9000 shocks and the geometry brackets. I've been trying to find a vendor that has all of these things on their website. Who did you guys buy from?

Emerscape is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC