Should I paint these half doors? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree36Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-16-2019, 12:46 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Reston, Va
Posts: 60
Should I paint these half doors?

Scored these OEM half doors today. I had thought that Iíd just leave them black but something about them just doesnít quite look right to me. Maybe itís their glossiness? Should I...
A. Leave them alone (maybe Iím just looking too closely and they are just gonna get scratched up next time I wheel in the woods anyhow)?
B. Have them painted to match the Jeep at a shop (seems pricy given that I wheel my rig and have already scratched my full doors up)?
C. Hit them with the black satin spray cans that my fender flairs & sliders are painted with (kinda leaning this way)?
D. Pick up a couple of cans of mopar touch up red and kinda match the Jeep (seems likely to go south)?
E. Bed liner (terrible trouble to get off if I ever change my mind)?

Open to other ideas I suppose...



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ta Tonka is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 354
I would have them professionally painted. Or at least get an estimate. May not be as much as you think.
Ta Tonka and MoabCarl like this.

Ratfinkharley is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RichL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South Shore, Mass
Posts: 2,643
I’d paint them to match. I’d prep and have a body shop lay down the paint.
Ta Tonka and MoabCarl like this.
__________________
Nemesis is getting an LS this winter with a Motech install kit. Want to see how easy or hard the install is.... Follow here.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/ne...e-2149753.html

What am I up too..? Browse some photos here. (Imgbb link)
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f31/ric...s-2163905.html
RichL35 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-16-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
membrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: DFW
Posts: 701
get them wrapped with a scene of a naked person (from the lower half down) driving...
__________________
Red 2014 JKURX: 6-speed|TeraFlex 4in 8 adj arms, HD carrier system, rear brakes|37in MTR/Ks|OEM wheels AlloyUSA spacers| DIY grill mesh|MOPAR BBK w/modded manual Xmsn reservoir|MetalCloak mounted sPOD w/AirZenith gage|underhood VIAIR w/modded DOR mount|AVS air tanks|2 Air horns|GrabBars |MagnaFlow exhaust w/loop delete|VectorOffroad E-dock |Condition Zero |Bestop lockbox|WNYAccessoryShop rear camera|DiodeDynamics LED (XP80) upgrades |Red SpiderWebShade|GenesisOffRoad w/Dual Odyssey PC1500s
membrain is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Boiler92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 258
I'm getting my recently acquired orange doors painted rhino to match mine right now. $400 but I had to do the tear down to the shell. Extra $200 for the body shop to remove panels, locks, mirrors, latches etc.
Ta Tonka likes this.
__________________
2017 Sport S
2 Door Hardtop
Rhino
Boiler92 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
bp1
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
bp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 307
First let me say that your jeep is friggin awesome. Love it. Whatever your choice ends up being do not rattle can them doors in an effort to match. Obviously I'm a wrap guy but I don't try to convince others to wrap because its pricey. I don't mind changing a wrap every season when my tastes change because I always have the extra coin to do so. Most would use that $ for mods. I would drop them off to the body shop and have them spray them and then let them be scratched by brush like the rest of the jeep panels.
Ta Tonka likes this.
__________________
1992 Wrangler Sahara YJ
bp1 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
MW2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Texas
Posts: 797
If you believe they are going to be damaged by wheeling anyway, and since it really won't affect the value of the doors, I would paint them yourself. Get a HVLP setup from Harbor Freight and buy the materials at the local auto supply that handles body shop materials. It's really not that hard to get a decent looking paint job doing it yourself. It's a pretty small area overall. Body Shops are probably going to charge $1200 to do the pair, I think you can do it yourself for less than $400 and some elbow grease.
Ta Tonka likes this.
__________________
Carpe Diem
MW2016 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
bp1
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
bp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW2016 View Post
If you believe they are going to be damaged by wheeling anyway, and since it really won't affect the value of the doors, I would paint them yourself. Get a HVLP setup from Harbor Freight and buy the materials at the local auto supply that handles body shop materials. It's really not that hard to get a decent looking paint job doing it yourself. It's a pretty small area overall. Body Shops are probably going to charge $1200 to do the pair, I think you can do it yourself for less than $400 and some elbow grease.
Ok, I had no idea the body shop would be that high. I now change my recommendation to a full body wrap for $1600 like I do because its just a sticker and you can do it again and again and again with different designs and colors.
Ta Tonka and MW2016 like this.
__________________
1992 Wrangler Sahara YJ
bp1 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:40 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Boiler92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1 View Post
Ok, I had no idea the body shop would be that high. I now change my recommendation to a full body wrap for $1600 like I do because its just a sticker and you can do it again and again and again with different designs and colors.
Body shop is not that high, especially if you strip the panels, locks etc. I got 2 quotes with me doing the tear down. $430 from one shop and $400 from the other. I had to tear them down anyway to take the locks out to get them rekeyed. That ended up being $20.
Ta Tonka likes this.
__________________
2017 Sport S
2 Door Hardtop
Rhino
Boiler92 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Boiler92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW2016 View Post
If you believe they are going to be damaged by wheeling anyway, and since it really won't affect the value of the doors, I would paint them yourself. Get a HVLP setup from Harbor Freight and buy the materials at the local auto supply that handles body shop materials. It's really not that hard to get a decent looking paint job doing it yourself. It's a pretty small area overall. Body Shops are probably going to charge $1200 to do the pair, I think you can do it yourself for less than $400 and some elbow grease.
$1200?

More like $400 to paint 2 half door shells.
Ta Tonka likes this.
__________________
2017 Sport S
2 Door Hardtop
Rhino
Boiler92 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Reston, Va
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by membrain View Post
get them wrapped with a scene of a naked person (from the lower half down) driving...


Best idea yet!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ta Tonka is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Reston, Va
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1 View Post
First let me say that your jeep is friggin awesome. Love it. Whatever your choice ends up being do not rattle can them doors in an effort to match. Obviously I'm a wrap guy but I don't try to convince others to wrap because its pricey. I don't mind changing a wrap every season when my tastes change because I always have the extra coin to do so. Most would use that $ for mods. I would drop them off to the body shop and have them spray them and then let them be scratched by brush like the rest of the jeep panels.


Thanks!
Didnít even think of the wrap option. Iíll have to investigate that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
membrain likes this.
Ta Tonka is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
MW2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Texas
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler92 View Post
Body shop is not that high, especially if you strip the panels, locks etc. I got 2 quotes with me doing the tear down. $430 from one shop and $400 from the other. I had to tear them down anyway to take the locks out to get them rekeyed. That ended up being $20.
Hard to beat that price, no one around here is that affordable, especially on a color change.
__________________
Carpe Diem
MW2016 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Boiler92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW2016 View Post
Hard to beat that price, no one around here is that affordable, especially on a color change.
Mine were orange with no scratches, dents or dings. Getting them repainted rhino. I dropped them off last Thursday. Shop said they'd start on them Monday and I could get them Wednesday or Thursday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190616_174725.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	4157815  
__________________
2017 Sport S
2 Door Hardtop
Rhino
Boiler92 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
ibikee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: South of Nashville Tn
Posts: 615
Plasti dip. Experiment with colors, rip it off and try another color. $5 a can. It’ll help you decide.
Ta Tonka, escher, jdinny and 1 others like this.
__________________
2015 2dr Sport. Rubicon springs and shocks take offs for 1 1/2 inch lift. Auto. Regeared Yukon 4:11, 33" duratracs
ibikee is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:09 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
WVL Anvil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 170
No. Love the look.
Ta Tonka likes this.
WVL Anvil is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:21 PM
Thread Starter
  #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Reston, Va
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibikee View Post
Plasti dip. Experiment with colors, rip it off and try another color. $5 a can. Itíll help you decide.


I wish that plasti dip came in Red Rock Crystal Pearl !


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bp1 likes this.
Ta Tonka is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
MW2016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: East Texas
Posts: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiler92 View Post
Mine were orange with no scratches, dents or dings. Getting them repainted rhino. I dropped them off last Thursday. Shop said they'd start on them Monday and I could get them Wednesday or Thursday.
Ahh, I was thinking JKU/4 doors. $200 a door is still hard to beat.

__________________
Carpe Diem
MW2016 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Rotorwash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 158
The black and red look good.....maybe rough the gloss up with a fine brillo pad
jgraz likes this.
Rotorwash is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #20
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
FLEX B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: East Coast, NJ - FL.
Posts: 772
I think the black looks good... Paint the rest of the Jeep to match.
__________________
2016 JKURHR Auto, 3.5Ē RK X Factor(FA), Fox 2.0 Performance shocks & ATS, JKS Flex Connects, Steer(notso)Smart Top mount drag link & track bar, RK Pro tie rod, Adams 1350 front & rear drive shafts, Spicer 4.88ís, RCV 300M rear & chromoly front, TF HD ball joints, truss, gusset & sleeve reinforcements, Mopar BBK front, Dynatrac 14.25Ē rears, AEV diff covers, 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fuel Zephyr bead locks and so on...
Previous: 2000 TJ *Bish* / 1997 TJ /1994 YJ /1987 XJ / 1963 CJ - 1st Jeep.
FLEX B is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #21
bp1
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
bp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX B View Post
I think the black looks good... Paint the rest of the Jeep to match.
My wife does that on her cars. Has even been pulled over and ticketed for it but keeps doing it. Just pays the tickets! I was with her the other day when she waved at the neighbor and I said, "He can't see you".......

It was my first thought. Been seeing a few blacked out rigs here debadged, black on black with more black, the bed liner paint job. Its a good option but that resell red looks pretty good I think
FLEX B likes this.
__________________
1992 Wrangler Sahara YJ
bp1 is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #22
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
FLEX B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: East Coast, NJ - FL.
Posts: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1 View Post
My wife does that on her cars. Has even been pulled over and ticketed for it but keeps doing it. Just pays the tickets! I was with her the other day when she waved at the neighbor and I said, "He can't see you".......

It was my first thought. Been seeing a few blacked out rigs here debadged, black on black with more black, the bed liner paint job. Its a good option but that resell red looks pretty good I think

I was kidding..lol That said, Blacked out can be really nice if you do it well...
__________________
2016 JKURHR Auto, 3.5Ē RK X Factor(FA), Fox 2.0 Performance shocks & ATS, JKS Flex Connects, Steer(notso)Smart Top mount drag link & track bar, RK Pro tie rod, Adams 1350 front & rear drive shafts, Spicer 4.88ís, RCV 300M rear & chromoly front, TF HD ball joints, truss, gusset & sleeve reinforcements, Mopar BBK front, Dynatrac 14.25Ē rears, AEV diff covers, 37" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Fuel Zephyr bead locks and so on...
Previous: 2000 TJ *Bish* / 1997 TJ /1994 YJ /1987 XJ / 1963 CJ - 1st Jeep.
FLEX B is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:31 PM   #23
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
NoGaBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATL, GA
Posts: 5,583
I faced the same quandary with my Bestop Element halfsies, and ran them a year with the matte black factory finish, then had them sprayed Anvil when I had my rollbar painted and installed. Nothing wrong with the black; it just always bother me. Looked incomplete.










As you can tell, the painter didn't have the Jeep to match to, just the formula for Anvil (the rollbar and doors were delivered to him, but not the jeep.) Someday I'm gonna spray the whole Jeep with Anvil-colored Line-X bedliner, and I'll include both the full doors and half doors at that time. Till then, I still like it better than the black.

Cheers!
__________________
NoGaBiker

Current: Anvil '14 Willys JK 6M, 4.56, G2 rear shafts; Eaton e-lockers, G2 D44 axle up front; 4:1 t-case; RE 2.5" long-arm, 35" KO2 Street/37" Interco Trail;
Previous: Hunter Green '92 XJ Cherokee Laredo 4.0; White 92 XJ Cherokee Limited 4.0; '11 Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi-powered drone
NoGaBiker is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:51 AM
Thread Starter
  #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Reston, Va
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker View Post
I faced the same quandary with my Bestop Element halfsies, and ran them a year with the matte black factory finish, then had them sprayed Anvil when I had my rollbar painted and installed. Nothing wrong with the black; it just always bother me. Looked incomplete.

Cheers!

Love Anvil - looks good color matched.

Seeing the difference in yours before / after is motivating me to at least get an estimate from a local paint shop. Thanks!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ta Tonka is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 81
I'd leave it. Kinda cool like that and looks like the doors are off at first glance.
jhuandok is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
RowlyRowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 271
Send a message via ICQ to RowlyRowl
i'd paint the rest of the jeep to match the doors
FLEX B likes this.
RowlyRowl is online now   Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:57 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
jdinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In the woods, on a mountain, in NY
Posts: 2,095
it does look good with the black doors, but your JK is a nice color, I think you shoud get them painted.
JMO
__________________
'12 JK Gecko | AEV 2.5/wGCB's | 315 Cooper S/T MAXX | AEV Salta's | Enhanced Rubicon rails | Trektop NX | Soft Doors | JW Speaker tail lights | M/T S1 bumper | Smitty X20-10 Comp | Factor 55 | Tactik HD spare carrier | ACE Halfback bumper | 4.10's | e-lockers | e-disconnect

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
jdinny is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 194
Id rap them or leave them black, thats a nice combo , you can get wraps for particularly cheap and do it yourself and them when you like remove it, if its for trail use, and then to resale back is the best color lol
mx1791 likes this.
Criz98 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NJ
Posts: 85
Option C isn't a bad idea. With the matte/satin color matching your armor and flares, it would look intentional.

Like Criz98 mentioned, wrapping may be a good idea as well. It'll keep doors from getting scratched so if you ever wanna sell em, they'll still be a perfect glossy black.

You could definitely color match them to the Jeeps paint yourself with Mopar rattle can color match. I've done that countless times at work and it comes out great if you know what you're doing, but it's a lot of work and sometimes you do need to wet sand and buff to look perfect (which I understand not everyone knows how to do, but anyone can learn to do anything with the internet and some practice.)
__________________
'17 JK
mx1791 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
sheepythejku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Auburn AL
Posts: 247
I would vote for black plasti-dip first. It will "match" your fenders while you decide on actual color matching. plus it will basically be a wrap just on the cheap. Lets you explore multiple options kinda with one shot and if you dont like it just peel it off!

sheepythejku is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC