Soft Top HELP!!! - Page 71 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree79Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #2101
Jeeper
 
patoirish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23
Can anyone help me get a gauge on how much OEM soft tops should cost? Maybe if some people have some experience with buying a new one from a dual soft top group that will level set it for me. Both in the premium and the regular fabric?

I'm looking at the following soft top which I think is the regular fabric, and I'm just trying to get a read on what fair value is.

2015 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door Soft Top

patoirish is offline   Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #2102
Jeeper
 
Espo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,060
Soft top prices will fluctuate depending on the part of the country you are in, the condition and whether or not they include all the parts. I would venture a guess that $500 is average for a newish standard top with all the parts included.

__________________
Mike
2007 Wrangler X (sold)
1995 Wrangler Sahara
Espo78 is offline   Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #2103
Jeeper
 
Wingnut3140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 427
I just called the dealership yesterday asking on a JKU, while its not for your 2 door, the premium 4 door is $1375 with all hardware. For a 2 door, maybe $800-$1000?
Wingnut3140 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-18-2016, 07:02 AM   #2104
Jeeper
 
CJ River Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 159
They must really fluctuate depending on where you are, my 2 door premium soft top was $1600 last spring from the dealer in NJ. I was was lucky to get some 10% & 15% off parts and accessories coupons as I was a new owner. With the 15% off, it was cheaper than the bestop premium top.
CJ River Rider is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:24 AM   #2105
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 28
Hi everyone. Don't know if this was already posted somewhere in this tread. I admit, I didn't sift through all 71 pages LOL. Here's my question. Is anyone away of a "Storage Bag" for the three windows (two sides and one rear) that they can be put in, to protect the plastic from getting scratched etc.?
Hollywoods is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #2106
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 24
i just recently put on the bestop bikini top and i cant get the back of it to stop flapping at higher speeds and windy conditions. The included tensioner straps that go behind the rear seat belt mounts dont seem to get taut enough to keep the rear portion of the bikini top from flapping....any ideas???
Wakeboardnmoto is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #2107
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoods View Post
Hi everyone. Don't know if this was already posted somewhere in this tread. I admit, I didn't sift through all 71 pages LOL. Here's my question. Is anyone away of a "Storage Bag" for the three windows (two sides and one rear) that they can be put in, to protect the plastic from getting scratched etc.?
Checkout jeeptopsusa.com....the tube.....also make a great boot for the top when it's down!
tbird911 is offline   Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 07:01 PM   #2108
Jeeper
 
Espo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeboardnmoto View Post
i just recently put on the bestop bikini top and i cant get the back of it to stop flapping at higher speeds and windy conditions. The included tensioner straps that go behind the rear seat belt mounts dont seem to get taut enough to keep the rear portion of the bikini top from flapping....any ideas???
I'm not sure if the bikini has any kind of metal bar sewn into the backside but that will help cut down on the flapping. The Trektop has a flat aluminum bar that goes into a sewn channel that sits on top of the roll bars at the rear. I replaced it with heavier galvanized pipe and all my flapping went away.
__________________
Mike
2007 Wrangler X (sold)
1995 Wrangler Sahara
Espo78 is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #2109
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Lorain County Ohio
Posts: 110
Found a local Craig's List offering for new in box Bestop Trek Top NX for 400, offered 300 and agreed at 325. Picking up this week in person. Was looking OEM but for this price, NIB I;ll roll with this for a year till I figure out my long term plans. My current windows are completely scuffed up and crappy- time for a change.
Sands611 is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #2110
Jeeper
 
Espo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,060
Great price, just make sure its really the NX and not the plain Trektop. I have a feeling you won't want another top if you like yours as much as I like mine.
__________________
Mike
2007 Wrangler X (sold)
1995 Wrangler Sahara
Espo78 is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #2111
Jeeper
 
court461's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 28
Thanks for all the good info in this thread. If not for reading this, I definitely would have neglected to get the roll bar brackets for the top I just bought off craigslist. They were still on the guy's jeep, he did not even think of it. I have been searching for a while, found a normal top from a 2012 for $600, but ended up splurging on a year old twill supertop NX. Thing looks brand new. I ended up paying more ($800) than I would have for a normal top, but I really like the look of the twill, so to me it was worth the $200 extra. A new twill supertop is $1,500 so I am pretty happy. I will be switching out the hard top in the next few weeks for spring/summer.
court461 is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #2112
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
I'm not sure if the bikini has any kind of metal bar sewn into the backside but that will help cut down on the flapping. The Trektop has a flat aluminum bar that goes into a sewn channel that sits on top of the roll bars at the rear. I replaced it with heavier galvanized pipe and all my flapping went away.
That's an awesome idea! Hadn't even thought to rig something like that up, mine does not have anything seen in, wish I would have done more research now before purchasing...
Wakeboardnmoto is offline   Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #2113
Jeeper
 
Espo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,060
Any upholstery shop should be able to sew it for you if you don't have a sewing machine. Just flip the end over and sew it. I used a galvanized rod and 2 end caps to get the correct length I needed from Home Depot.
__________________
Mike
2007 Wrangler X (sold)
1995 Wrangler Sahara
Espo78 is offline   Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:10 PM   #2114
Jeeper
 
ConnorJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 199
I don't have time to sift through the forum, but I just got offered a 2016 JKU premium factory soft top for $1000. Will this fit my 2015 JKU? I think this a decent price considering I have seen them as much as $1800. Thanks
ConnorJKU is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 03:06 AM   #2115
Jeeper
 
Fantus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 422
As long as all parts are there you are good to go. Been watching Craig's list but none have come up in my area....Kc, mo. $1000 seems a good deal I would jump on it.
Fantus33 is offline   Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:35 PM   #2116
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorJKU View Post
I don't have time to sift through the forum, but I just got offered a 2016 JKU premium factory soft top for $1000. Will this fit my 2015 JKU? I think this a decent price considering I have seen them as much as $1800. Thanks
I'm picking up one this weekend for $900, so you are getting a fair price.
sportsphysio is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #2117
Jeeper
 
Espo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,060
Decent price but not stellar. Some people unload them for pennies on the dollar just to get them out of the garage. You have to be patient to find those deals and very quick to act.
__________________
Mike
2007 Wrangler X (sold)
1995 Wrangler Sahara
Espo78 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:55 PM   #2118
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 29
sorry if this has been covered in this thread, but is there a complete list of all the hardware that is needed for the OEM soft top (4dr)? I'm asking because I found one on craigslist and I would like to go through a checklist of everything before I hand over the cash

also, I believe it came off of a 2012, that shouldn't be a problem for my 2016?
FortMOney is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:02 PM   #2119
Jeeper
 
65aircooled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMOney View Post
sorry if this has been covered in this thread, but is there a complete list of all the hardware that is needed for the OEM soft top (4dr)? I'm asking because I found one on craigslist and I would like to go through a checklist of everything before I hand over the cash

also, I believe it came off of a 2012, that shouldn't be a problem for my 2016?
I installed a brand new premium top from a 2015. I got it for free from my cousin, he didn't want to be bothered with it.

What you will need:

-Both metal brackets that were attached to the roll bar and the 4 torx screws.
-Top
-3 Windows
-small bag with straps to strap the roof assembly when the top is down (can be replaced with Velcro straps from the Home Depotif not available)
-Rear window bar (goes across the back of the jeep and the window attaches to it via a plastic "piping" that slides into the channel of said bar)
-2 plastic corners that snap on the ends of the tub against the tailgate (labeled LH and RH)
-4 window frames, 2 smaller straight pieces for the front doors 2 right angles that form the rear door frame, these fold in half when not in use.
-4 long knob bolts and 2 short knob bolts.

We installed ours in about 30 minutes, it was our first time, but I did watched the video on YouTube about a million times.
All soft tops 2007-2016 are compatible back and forth, as long as the hardware and the top came from the same vehicle.

That should cover it for parts. Check for broken tabs on the window frames and any other flaw on all components.

Best of luck
__________________
2008 JKU-X auto D30/44 4:56 Yukon Zip lockers BFG M/T 32" on Rubi wheels. TF 2" level kit, Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, ARB Deluxe front bumper, RSE rear bumper, Warn Vr10K JWSpeaker "J" headlights.
65aircooled is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #2120
Newb
 
TX1963's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: TX / CT
Posts: 12
Anyone using a safari bikini top WITHOUT door surrounds? Need to remove my hard top soon but not sure if door surrounds would be a good investment if I can get away without them. My concern is the bikini top would not seal rain well without them however.. Thoughts?
__________________
Native Texan living in Connecticut; USMC Veteran
1981 CJ-8 Scrambler (Texas Farm Jeep)
1987 YJ (O.C. California)
2016 JKWW, Silver
TX1963 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 PM   #2121
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65aircooled View Post
I installed a brand new premium top from a 2015. I got it for free from my cousin, he didn't want to be bothered with it.

What you will need:

-Both metal brackets that were attached to the roll bar and the 4 torx screws.
-Top
-3 Windows
-small bag with straps to strap the roof assembly when the top is down (can be replaced with Velcro straps from the Home Depotif not available)
-Rear window bar (goes across the back of the jeep and the window attaches to it via a plastic "piping" that slides into the channel of said bar)
-2 plastic corners that snap on the ends of the tub against the tailgate (labeled LH and RH)
-4 window frames, 2 smaller straight pieces for the front doors 2 right angles that form the rear door frame, these fold in half when not in use.
-4 long knob bolts and 2 short knob bolts.

We installed ours in about 30 minutes, it was our first time, but I did watched the video on YouTube about a million times.
All soft tops 2007-2016 are compatible back and forth, as long as the hardware and the top came from the same vehicle.

That should cover it for parts. Check for broken tabs on the window frames and any other flaw on all components.

Best of luck
How much trouble did you have pulling the rear flaps down to the tailgate bracket? Do you have the standard or premium top?

I've read many threads about how difficult that process was due to the top not being stretched yet. I'm picking up a top tomorrow, and trying to determine how much muscle I'll need to bribe to help me.
sportsphysio is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:55 PM   #2122
Jeeper
 
Espo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX1963 View Post
Anyone using a safari bikini top WITHOUT door surrounds? Need to remove my hard top soon but not sure if door surrounds would be a good investment if I can get away without them. My concern is the bikini top would not seal rain well without them however.. Thoughts?
Personally I wouldn't bother. If you plan on driving in all weather conditions with a bikini top then you will get wet and get water in your Jeep. If you have door surrounds at least you can keep the front seats dry but water will still get in the back. For the cost of door surrounds and a compatible bikini top you might as well spend another $100-$200 or so and get a Trektop NX
__________________
Mike
2007 Wrangler X (sold)
1995 Wrangler Sahara
Espo78 is offline   Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:58 PM   #2123
Jeeper
 
65aircooled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsphysio View Post
How much trouble did you have pulling the rear flaps down to the tailgate bracket? Do you have the standard or premium top?

I've read many threads about how difficult that process was due to the top not being stretched yet. I'm picking up a top tomorrow, and trying to determine how much muscle I'll need to bribe to help me.
Hmm, I have read the same stuff. Weather here was in the high 60s at best and no sun until after we were done... we actually got soaked right is the middle of it.
Was it a piece of cake? No. I pulled down on the frame with one hand and the othe pulling the corner into the grove.Got the plastic flap started on the side and worked my way back.
__________________
2008 JKU-X auto D30/44 4:56 Yukon Zip lockers BFG M/T 32" on Rubi wheels. TF 2" level kit, Spidertrax 1.5" spacers, ARB Deluxe front bumper, RSE rear bumper, Warn Vr10K JWSpeaker "J" headlights.
65aircooled is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #2124
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65aircooled View Post
I installed a brand new premium top from a 2015. I got it for free from my cousin, he didn't want to be bothered with it.

What you will need:

-Both metal brackets that were attached to the roll bar and the 4 torx screws.
-Top
-3 Windows
-small bag with straps to strap the roof assembly when the top is down (can be replaced with Velcro straps from the Home Depotif not available)
-Rear window bar (goes across the back of the jeep and the window attaches to it via a plastic "piping" that slides into the channel of said bar)
-2 plastic corners that snap on the ends of the tub against the tailgate (labeled LH and RH)
-4 window frames, 2 smaller straight pieces for the front doors 2 right angles that form the rear door frame, these fold in half when not in use.
-4 long knob bolts and 2 short knob bolts.

We installed ours in about 30 minutes, it was our first time, but I did watched the video on YouTube about a million times.
All soft tops 2007-2016 are compatible back and forth, as long as the hardware and the top came from the same vehicle.

That should cover it for parts. Check for broken tabs on the window frames and any other flaw on all components.

Best of luck
thanks very much, that's helpful
FortMOney is offline   Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:06 PM   #2125
Jeeper
 
Jetcop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 179
Wow

Come ON down!!!! I have two brand new Premium (dual top) soft tops. First one off my '14 JK Altitude.. Never opened ..Boxes never opened...brackets and bolts in a zip lock bag..stored in my house Utility Roo,.traded in the Altitude for my 2nd JK which is still in wrapper under Hard Top on my New '16 JK Hard Rock...same thing I didn't have foggiest idea of value except for what they were listed for on my original window sticker... put 'em UP for sale on OUR forum for $1250 each
Attached Images
 
Jetcop is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:08 AM   #2126
Jeeper
 
patoirish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23
Comparing this to the pictures this looks like premium fabric. Can anyone confirm that this is definitely from the premium OEM soft top? Thanks.


[IMG][/IMG]
patoirish is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #2127
Jeeper
 
Wild Weasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,860
Yep, that's the premium stuff.
__________________
.
Wild Weasel is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #2128
Jeeper
 
patoirish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 23
Hey everyone, thanks so much for your help so far. I'm working on purchasing a soft top on Craig's and the seller says there is only one piece missing, see below:

"The only parts I do not have are the small brackets (l & r) that attach the top frame to the roll bar (I do have the screws, just not the brackets) I would imagine the brackets are cheap and easy to get from dealer. I will include some pictures of the other parts too."

Is this concerning or is he right that I can get this fairly easily. I looked at the diagram and couldn't figure out exactly what he meant.

Also, hes asking $700 for a premium 2014 2 door soft top. Seems like a fair price to me but thought I would check with the group.
patoirish is offline   Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:10 PM   #2129
Jeeper
 
Espo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Gainesville, Fl
Posts: 3,060
Fairly common to be missing those parts, and yes you can get them from a dealer. I would look up the cost of those brackets and ask the seller to deduct that from his asking price.
__________________
Mike
2007 Wrangler X (sold)
1995 Wrangler Sahara
Espo78 is offline   Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #2130
Jeeper
 
Wild Weasel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,860
Yeah... when you take the soft top off, you generally leave those brackets attached so I can see how they'd be forgotten and traded in with a Jeep when the owner intends to sell the soft top separately.

__________________
.
Wild Weasel is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
install , installation , soft top , tips

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.