Soft top safety - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Fungun
  • 3 Post By Andejo
  • 3 Post By SOCALGAL
  • 1 Post By RubiconSS
  • 3 Post By SoulSurfer
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-13-2017, 08:24 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 7
Angry Soft top safety

I work in an urban area and my park my car on local streets for 10-12 hours a day. There is some crime in the area and I was wondering how "safe" or "theft proof" is the soft top set up is.....

dajoser is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:28 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,279
The only thing a soft top does is keep rain (some) and wind (some) out. It will not keep anything or anyone else out that doesn't want to get in. Someone with a dull knife can easily get through the plastic windows.

__________________
2010 JK Islander Edition; Teraflex leveling kit; JKU Springs; Barricade HD Front and Rear Bumpers; 4.88's; Smittybuilt 9500 winch; 295/75/16's on Ultra Mongoose wheels
AirForceAngler is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
The only thing a soft top does is keep rain (some) and wind (some) out. It will not keep anything or anyone else out that doesn't want to get in. Someone with a dull knife can easily get through the plastic windows.
Speaks the truth. Be ready to do one of three things:
- get soft top, leave nothing in Jeep, leave doors unlocked, add alarm, and remove drunken bum that pissed his pants when you return
- get hardtop, leave nothing in Jeep, doors locked, add alarm
- buy a hoopty for DD

Other than paid secure parking, there is nothing you can do in urban shathole environments, the critters are everywhere.
km1fdm likes this.
__________________
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
Fungun is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 226
I don't (yet) have a soft top but I do have a convertible Trans Am I use once in a while. I just leave nothing of value in there, and leave it unlocked at all times. I'd rather they steal the change from the ashtray and my phone charger from the console, than cut the expensive top.

Just my personal opinion, but I think if you lock the glove box and/or console, that's probably just going to make them think there's something good in there and then they'll break it open.

If you do need to keep something valuable in there (and if you don't have the Alpine subwoofer), I think that only a Jeep expert would know about the storage compartment under the rear floor. And there are aftermarket locking boxes that can go in there. Or if you have a 4-door there are locking underseat storage units.

If you have OEM Jeep alarm: Open the door, hit the power door lock button, but then manually unlock each individual door with your finger. Close the door, and after about 30 seconds, the alarm will be armed, even though the doors are unlocked. Hopefully when a thief opens the door and the alarm sounds, it might scare him away.
chaszur, Jeep Spree and SOCALGAL like this.
Andejo is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Dr Obbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajoser View Post
I work in an urban area and my park my car on local streets for 10-12 hours a day. There is some crime in the area and I was wondering how "safe" or "theft proof" is the soft top set up is.....
I live in the city and in an apartment complex with who knows who are coming and going at all hours. However I figure that it will basically be the same hoodlums every day. As mentioned, nothing remotely of value is in the jeep except the CB. (don't think there is a hot black market for those these days.) I do have a JeepBackbone deck enclosure protecting the tools and recovery equipment. In the past year I have left the doors off, sides out, top down many times. To the best of my knowledge (ignorance is bliss) the only intruder I had was a cat pissing on the back seat floor and using the passenger seat as a scratching post. My thought is that anyone can plainly see that it is not secure and there is nothing in it and hopefully not mess with it any further. Even with the doors off, I lock it to set the alarm and lock the tailgate/deck.
__________________
Spending Thousands of Dollars, Countless Hours, Enduring Cuts & Bruises, Then Driving Miles Away From The Nearest Paved Street To Conquer An Obstacle That Can Easily Be Avoided.
Dr Obbins is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
SOCALGAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Good Ole USA
Posts: 595
I'd get a hood lock too if you don't have one.
__________________
69 Vette L46 Monaco Orange
69 Camaro Z28 on a rotisserie for restoration
87 Camaro Z28
2020 Silverado Trail Boss Crew Cab
2017 JKU Sahara Firecracker Red
SOCALGAL is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,872
I'm curious Why there is ANY mystery at All regarding the security (safety is a completely different subject all together) of a "Top" that is canvas/plastic and a few "Zippers" ?

NO there is Zero security. None/Nada.

I leave nothing not even change or an ez-pass in there and never lock the doors or console/glove box.
Gman canadian likes this.
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Legobusier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 544
Soft top safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
I'm curious Why there is ANY mystery at All regarding the security (safety is a completely different subject all together) of a "Top" that is canvas/plastic and a few "Zippers" ?



NO there is Zero security. None/Nada.



I leave nothing not even change or an ez-pass in there and never lock the doors or console/glove box.


Pretty much agree with this...zero security for items with the soft top other than slightly hidden from view. I DO lock the glove box as I keep my registration and EZ pass in there...but other than that I keep very little in the Jeep on a regular basis. Now that I have a locking enclosure in the back, I will throw a few jackets and stadium seats, etc. back there, but that's about it...certainly nothing if any particular value stays in the Jeep

Best to consider it "unlocked and open" with a soft top...

...having said that...I think "security" in a hard top (or any vehicle for that matter) is pretty well overrated. I would venture to guess a thief with a glass breaking hammer can get into a hard top as fast as, if not faster than it would take to slash or unzip the soft top...



********
2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders
__________________
2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders....too many other modifications to list..

2009 JK - very stock at the moment....

Formerly owned '48 CJ2a for about 20 years...should have kept it...
Legobusier is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legobusier View Post
Pretty much agree with this...zero security for items with the soft top other than slightly hidden from view. I DO lock the glove box as I keep my registration and EZ pass in there...but other than that I keep very little in the Jeep on a regular basis. Now that I have a locking enclosure in the back, I will throw a few jackets and stadium seats, etc. back there, but that's about it...certainly nothing if any particular value stays in the Jeep

Best to consider it "unlocked and open" with a soft top...

...having said that...I think "security" in a hard top (or any vehicle for that matter) is pretty well overrated. I would venture to guess a thief with a glass breaking hammer can get in to a hard top as fast as, if not faster than it would take to slash or unzip the soft top...



********
2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders
Ask one who knows all to well. Smashed my rear window and stole two Maxpeditiin bags. Black windows, black bags on black leather.
Estimated value about $2,000.
Now I have Tuffy rear enclosure and Hate that I had to do that.
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Legobusier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconSS View Post
Ask one who knows all to well. Smashed my rear window and stole two Maxpeditiin bags. Black windows, black bags on black leather.
Estimated value about $2,000.
Now I have Tuffy rear enclosure and Hate that I had to do that.
dang...that sucks...

..for the record, I DO actually lock my Jeep with the key fob...some of that is just out of habit of doing it with my other vehicles, but my security enclosure has power locks that are tied to the factory locks so it is only locked when the doors are (which sets the alarm), but I don't ever "consider" the Jeep locked per-se...

I live in a pretty good area thankfully, and most of the "break-ins" around here are kids checking car doors to see if they're open to steal the change and various other items that are easy pickings...Locking the doors keeps those guys away...so far at least
__________________
2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders....too many other modifications to list..

2009 JK - very stock at the moment....

Formerly owned '48 CJ2a for about 20 years...should have kept it...
Legobusier is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:23 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 29
Hard top "security" is an illusion. The smash and grab has been used by thieves thousands and thousands of times. The false sense of security associated with glass windows seems to lead lots of people to leave stuff of value inside. Locked doors do nothing to stop a hammer or a rock from being used to break the (expensive) glass windows so the hoodlum can just grab whatever he wants. In my own experience, replacing the broken windows of cars I've left locked has been far more expensive than the piddly crap the tweakers took (CDs, spare change, etc.). It's doors unlocked and nothing I'd have a hard time replacing left inside.
SoulSurfer is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,872
I admit (shamedly) I was complacent. Never again...

I was at a trail head hiking. Never expected a break-in.

My fault for not being vigilant.
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
WebDevDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 2,220
Once upon a time, the only thing I kept in my Jeep was a pocket knife.
One day, someone "broke into" it with the soft top on. Went into the console (fortunately didn't break the lid), glove box, climbed in the back and tried to pull up the floor.
All they found was that knife in my glove box.
They used my own knife to slice the back window from the inside and left it sitting on the dash.
I no longer keep anything in my Jeep.

I have a backpack for anything that I need to carry with me. I have a small waterproof pouch with my lug locks in it that I have stuffed under the passenger side cowl under the hood, and a hood lock.

If you want to keep something, don't keep it in a ̶J̶e̶e̶p̶ vehicle.
__________________
ー.lllllll.ー
WebDevDan is offline   Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,139
"Out of Sight, Out of Mind" is our theory on this.. but having half doors & soft top our chances of having a break in has increased as compared to the full hard doors and hard top.

The dead bolt door locks, Hood Lock, Under the seat storage box locks etc all make up just part of the whole equation. But if you're like me.. their going to be a few hidden places for "things" which I'm not willing to divulge.

I think the best advice anyone can give another jeeper, is IF it's that important, Don't leave it in the jeep.
1386570 is offline   Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDevDan View Post
I have a small waterproof pouch with my lug locks in it that I have stuffed under the passenger side cowl under the hood, and a hood lock.
I like that idea! Not only do you keep it in a place they'd never think to look, but the hood lock would slow them down too. My wheel key is currently with the jack. I think I'll move it under the hood as you've done. (I have a hood lock too.)

I recently saw in the "Budget EDC" (EveryDayCarry) group on Facebook, waterproof pouches for a buck at the Dollar Tree. I think I'll go get one.

PS: I think I'll soak the wheel key in WD40, wrap it in a sandwich bag to keep the oil in contact with it, then put it in the waterproof bag. That way, if there's condensation it won't rust.
Andejo is offline   Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legobusier View Post
...having said that...I think "security" in a hard top (or any vehicle for that matter) is pretty well overrated. I would venture to guess a thief with a glass breaking hammer can get into a hard top as fast as, if not faster than it would take to slash or unzip the soft top...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulSurfer View Post
Hard top "security" is an illusion. The smash and grab has been used by thieves thousands and thousands of times. The false sense of security associated with glass windows seems to lead lots of people to leave stuff of value inside. Locked doors do nothing to stop a hammer or a rock from being used to break the (expensive) glass windows so the hoodlum can just grab whatever he wants. In my own experience, replacing the broken windows of cars I've left locked has been far more expensive than the piddly crap the tweakers took (CDs, spare change, etc.). It's doors unlocked and nothing I'd have a hard time replacing left inside.
You guys are right, but isn't it also about having your vehicle be inconspicuous and uninteresting to thieves?

I'm no thief, but I would think that when they see a convertible, Jeep or otherwise, they think "hey, there's a target we can get into quickly and quietly with no special tools or equipment. Let's try that one first."

Whereas a hardtop Jeep is just another car.......well, more importantly, just another SUV/wagon. At least with a sedan you can keep valuables out of sight in the trunk. With an SUV, they can look in the back window and see if there's any good stuff in there.
Andejo is offline   Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Legobusier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andejo View Post
You guys are right, but isn't it also about having your vehicle be inconspicuous and uninteresting to thieves?



I'm no thief, but I would think that when they see a convertible, Jeep or otherwise, they think "hey, there's a target we can get into quickly and quietly with no special tools or equipment. Let's try that one first."



Whereas a hardtop Jeep is just another car.......well, more importantly, just another SUV/wagon. At least with a sedan you can keep valuables out of sight in the trunk. With an SUV, they can look in the back window and see if there's any good stuff in there.

I agree...the hard top will certainly discourage the "casual" thief and kids...but I don't think it even slows down a more seasoned/serious guy...



********
2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders
__________________
2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders....too many other modifications to list..

2009 JK - very stock at the moment....

Formerly owned '48 CJ2a for about 20 years...should have kept it...
Legobusier is offline   Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
chopperbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hebron ky
Posts: 899
Keeps you somewhat safe from rain and wind. That is about all. Also, sun beating down on u. But spider shade takes care of that.

__________________
Air Assault
ch-47D (hookers)
2017 jku rhino
xd 131 rg1 wheels
lod Destroyer full width front bumper
superwinch talon 9.5 I winch
chopperbobby is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepョ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.