Swaybar disconnects on a stock JKU? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cdeslandes
  • 1 Post By cdeslandes
  • 1 Post By Road Carnage
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-13-2019, 04:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Road Carnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 64
Swaybar disconnects on a stock JKU?

For off-road use, is there any advantage to disconnecting the front sway bar on a stock JKU? If so, are quick disconnects available?

Road Carnage is offline   Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Carnage View Post
For off-road use, is there any advantage to disconnecting the front sway bar on a stock JKU? If so, are quick disconnects available?
Yes. It will smooth out the ride offroading, and increase the amount of articulation (flex) you can get with your front axle. JKS, Steinjager, and many others make quick discos for a stock Wrangler.

RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
RockyMtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 363
Yes, and yes. Disconnecting your sway bar will allow for better axle articulation. Meaning, your front tire can drop down further to keep in contact with uneven ground. You don't get traction if your tire is off the ground on an uneven trail.



After market sway bar links usually sold based on the amount of lift, so you would look for one that is for 0-2 inches of lift. Some are also adjustable, where they will unscrew to be longer and have a jam nut to fix it in place. Nice option if you decide to lift the jeep in the future. JKS is a popular brand and what I use.


You will also want some way to secure your swaybar once it is disconnected. You can buy posts that mount to the frame to secure it up and out of the way. Or a bungee cord is a cheap and easy way to do the same thing.
__________________
JKUR10A - "Rubi-Ann"
RockyMtn is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 3,170
drek likes this.
__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

Other rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2016 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is offline   Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:08 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Road Carnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 64
Just looked up the JKS units on the Quadratec site. Is the best practice is to remove both links and store them in the cab somewhere, then secure the sway bar to the frame? One reviewer mentioned removing just one link to avoid having to secure the sway bar.
Road Carnage is offline   Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:57 AM   #6
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 3,170
Disconnecting one end is enough for most situations, especially with a stock suspension.
Timglide likes this.
__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

Other rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2016 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is offline   Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
RockyMtn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Carnage View Post
Just looked up the JKS units on the Quadratec site. Is the best practice is to remove both links and store them in the cab somewhere, then secure the sway bar to the frame? One reviewer mentioned removing just one link to avoid having to secure the sway bar.
I prefer to disconnect both sides and keep the links in the cab. The sway bar would limit articulation if one side was connected (for my set up). Plus there is the danger of the connected side side flipping over and smashing the tie rod and causing a mess. May not be an issue on a stock setup, but why go halfassed, disconnect both.
__________________
JKUR10A - "Rubi-Ann"
RockyMtn is offline   Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Road Carnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bucks County, PA
Posts: 64
It seems like disconnecting both would be the better way to go, as long as there is a good way to keep the sway bar from flopping around.
H8SPVMT likes this.
Road Carnage is offline   Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:21 PM   #9
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Carnage View Post
It seems like disconnecting both would be the better way to go, as long as there is a good way to keep the sway bar from flopping around.
I use Rock Krawler’s straps, there are other products along those lines.
__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

Other rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2016 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is offline   Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #10
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
TroutDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,242
I think I am going to take out the stock, electronic sway bar disconnect system that came with my 2015 Rubicon and just install the manual disconnect on each side. I'd rather have the reliability of the manual instead of wondering if the electric one will disconnect or re-connect.

Anyone see any issue with doing that?
TroutDaddy is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #11
Moderator

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Carnage View Post
It seems like disconnecting both would be the better way to go, as long as there is a good way to keep the sway bar from flopping around.
I pull the links and move the sway bar up and out of the way. The bar on ours is stiff in the bushings, and will stay where I put it. I do have the TF brackets to secure it to, but I usually do not use them, not unless we are doing some really rough wheeling. I just pull both links and pull the bar up as high as it will go. It has never moved down on its own for us.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
I pull the links and move the sway bar up and out of the way. The bar on ours is stiff in the bushings, and will stay where I put it. I do have the TF brackets to secure it to, but I usually do not use them, not unless we are doing some really rough wheeling. I just pull both links and pull the bar up as high as it will go. It has never moved down on its own for us.
If I disconnect both links, my bar will drop down all on its own. I wouldn't trust it so I typically only disconnect one side and bungie the link to the frame. If I do disconnect both, I bungie the sway bar.
RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 40
I remove both and zip tie the bar up into the engine bay (I use the large HVAC ties you can get from your big box store). It costs me about $.30 to tie the sway bar up. I do not think I would want just one link attached, as I would think it puts a lot a pressure on that one link under max articulation.
torrin is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDaddy View Post
I think I am going to take out the stock, electronic sway bar disconnect system that came with my 2015 Rubicon and just install the manual disconnect on each side. I'd rather have the reliability of the manual instead of wondering if the electric one will disconnect or re-connect.

Anyone see any issue with doing that?
I am not sure why you would want to do that? Most of any issues I have heard about the auto disconnects is failure to reconnect, not disconnect. Shot, one of the reasons I would want a Rubi is for the e-disconnect. No more crawling under the Jeep (especially on rainy days)

It can be done, but I wouldn't do it unless I had already had problems with the stock system.
torrin is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:25 AM   #15
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrin View Post
I remove both and zip tie the bar up into the engine bay (I use the large HVAC ties you can get from your big box store). It costs me about $.30 to tie the sway bar up. I do not think I would want just one link attached, as I would think it puts a lot a pressure on that one link under max articulation.
The bar rotates in the rubber bushings. It's free on one end, so the whole sway bar rotates, so how can it put more pressure on the one link? Think about how the Rubicon e-disconnect works. The links stay connected, you effectively "break" the sway bar in half, and both halves rotate in the rubber bushings.
RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
Georgie Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDaddy View Post
I think I am going to take out the stock, electronic sway bar disconnect system that came with my 2015 Rubicon and just install the manual disconnect on each side. I'd rather have the reliability of the manual instead of wondering if the electric one will disconnect or re-connect.

Anyone see any issue with doing that?
Im currently looking at the EVO SB disco $100: https://www.offroadevolution.com/pro...onnect-jk-jku/ Theirs also an in cab model for $250.
I really hate how the Rubi disco has a mind of its own and randomly re connects, plus being a tall guy 6'4 sometimes my knee hits it when Im bouncing around. This option is a great choice, one less thing to worry about when your on the trail or if the stock one goes out. OEM only sells the entire unit for $1200. next thing on my upgrade list
__________________
2012 JKUR Daily Driver with a bunch of goodies. Work Hard Play Harder!
________________________
Georgie Boy is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #17
Moderator

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrin View Post
I am not sure why you would want to do that? Most of any issues I have heard about the auto disconnects is failure to reconnect, not disconnect. Shot, one of the reasons I would want a Rubi is for the e-disconnect. No more crawling under the Jeep (especially on rainy days)

It can be done, but I wouldn't do it unless I had already had problems with the stock system.
There are a lot of people with Rubicons who also have manual disconnect links.
While the Rubi push button disconnect is a nice feature, it actually leaves each link still connected to the axle. So, aside from the issues some have in getting it to disconnect or re-connect, there is another possible problem. This is more likely if you are lifted and running longer shocks, the sway bar link can flip over center and go forwards, bending the link. This is more likely with longer shocks, and in more extreme wheeling situations. But it can and does happen. For normal wheeling the push button is fine, as long as it works. But in some cases you need more.
The same applies to disconnecting one of the two links. Doing so will disable the sway bar, but as it leaves one link still connected if you wheel too hard like that and have long enough shocks you could flip the link. That typically bends the link and becomes a bad time.
If you never wheel that hard, and / or you run shorter shocks, you should not have a problem with that. Then all you need to worry about is if the electric disconnect button will work. The E-Disconnect system does not seem very mud friendly.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:38 PM   #18
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
cdeslandes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CT & VT
Posts: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgie Boy View Post
Im currently looking at the EVO SB disco $100: https://www.offroadevolution.com/pro...onnect-jk-jku/ Theirs also an in cab model for $250.
I really hate how the Rubi disco has a mind of its own and randomly re connects, plus being a tall guy 6'4 sometimes my knee hits it when Im bouncing around. This option is a great choice, one less thing to worry about when your on the trail or if the stock one goes out. OEM only sells the entire unit for $1200. next thing on my upgrade list
It won't do that on the trail, instead it'll just stop working one day and you'll have to disconnect manually. or it'll start smoking and cause all kind of weird electrical gremlins (ask me how I know!)

Most of the problems arise from the fact that it's not really waterproof, but it can be cleaned and reconditioned (plenty of videos on how to do that)
And if the electronics or motor fail, you can always go the EVO route.

It is convenient to have, although if I'm going to be rock crawling all day I still prefer to disconnect manually.
__________________
2014 JK Unlimited Rubicon, Copperhead Pearl, minivan engine, 6 speed, Rock Krawler X-Factor 2.5" lift, Falcon shocks, 35" Dick Cepek M/T
My build: Copper Rubi build

Other rides: 2010 BMW Z4 35i, 2016 Volvo XC90
cdeslandes is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:20 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoSportJKU View Post
The bar rotates in the rubber bushings. It's free on one end, so the whole sway bar rotates, so how can it put more pressure on the one link? Think about how the Rubicon e-disconnect works. The links stay connected, you effectively "break" the sway bar in half, and both halves rotate in the rubber bushings.
You're right, it probably would just offend my sense of symmetry.
torrin is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #20
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrin View Post
You're right, it probably would just offend my sense of symmetry.
Now that I can relate to.

RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.