Think I was close to rolling? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree72Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-15-2019, 02:30 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,577
Think I was close to rolling?

Took a trip to a RV Park on the west coast of Florida and think I took a ATV trail and not a 4x4 one. Think I made it?




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is online now   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
pkdailey4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alameda, California
Posts: 689
Where you teetering?

__________________
Chrysler POS
pkdailey4 is online now   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkdailey4 View Post
Where you teetering?


No. But each time I tried to move, I slid further down and deeper with the tires.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is online now   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-15-2019, 05:02 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
H8SPVMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 2,856
Nope you're not rolling like that.
DIRT BOY likes this.
__________________

2015 Firecracker Red JK Hard Rock with Bushwacker Flat Fenders
Trans American Trail (TAT) Completed Jul/Aug 17,
Smoky Mtn. 500 2018
Smoky Mtn 1000 & Georgia Traverse 2019
H8SPVMT is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:06 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
Nope you're not rolling like that.


Think so? With each movement, my pitch got steeper as the wheels dig in. All I could feel was sliding down and more tilt.
Wondering....




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is online now   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Silentfoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Apple Valley, Utah
Posts: 959
Not as long as your front wheels were pointed downhill like that. Give it some gas and point it downhill. Recover it from that position if you still couldn't drive out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Hilldweller and Victor Ward like this.
Silentfoe is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
Nope you're not rolling like that.


Think so? With each movement, my pitch got steeper as the wheels dig in. All I could feel was sliding down and more tilt.
Wondering....




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is online now   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,577
Think I was close to rolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
Not as long as your front wheels were pointed downhill like that. Give it some gas and point it downhill. Recover it from that position if you still couldn't drive out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk


Tried that! Back slid out. Big rock out back and in front.
Did feel ok with wheels downhill and all four on ground.
AEV 2.5 did ok.
Will say, never been like that so I did get nervous. Its my DD too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is online now   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
YnotAJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: La Verne, Calif.
Posts: 3,697
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
__________________
2014 JKUR, Leather and everything inside, 4 inch OME springs, all Alpine arms, Adams front driveshaft, Falcon 2.1's, Adj track bars front and rear, heavy bumpers and winch, ICON rims and 315-70-17 BFG KO2's, ARB diff covers, ProComp LED's, 2 Bernese Mtn dogs.
Previously 2001 XJ lifted 5, SYE, True-tracks F & R.
CJ7, 304V8, auto, loaded, Detroit rear, and more.
90 Bronco,, 76 Bronco,, 70 Bronco
YnotAJeep is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:30 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotAJeep View Post
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Been there, done that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is online now   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
pkdailey4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alameda, California
Posts: 689
teetering = puckered up butthole = DANGER
DIRT BOY likes this.
__________________
Chrysler POS
pkdailey4 is online now   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:01 PM   #12
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
TerryC6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Hesperia, CA
Posts: 7,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by YnotAJeep View Post
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
And nuclear weapons
tc_howe and NoWhiningX like this.
__________________
Terry

35" Baja MTZ P3's - Level 8 Tracker Pro 5 Wheels - Dynatrac ProGrip Brakes - MetalCloak 2.5" GC Suspension, 6Pak Edition - Griffin Attenuator - Artec Front Axle Armor - Nitro Axle Sleeves - JCR Vanguard Bumpers - Poison Spyder Brawler Rockers & Bombshell Diff Covers - RockHard 4x4 Skid's & Sport Cage - Genesis Dual Battery Kit with G Screen - SPOD - Zeon 10-S - VisionX headlights - Traildash 2 - Morris Mule Trailer
TerryC6 is online now   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #13
QUEEN OF MALLCRAWLERS

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
mommymallcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 8,107
Not even close.... Although if you are not experienced with off camber, I suspect upholstery cleaning may be in order...

While it sounds absolutely counterintuitive, generally turn INTO a lean. Where you have wheels pointed driver is the correct way to approach this.

But keep in mind - very important - so long as you have not flopped, the Jeep has found a center of gravity. That you feel puckered is irrelevant in the equation. It is what the Jeep is doing that is important at moments like that. Worst thing to do is freak out or do sudden motions (ie move your body, stomp hard on gas or brake, open and slam door shut etc) that change that center of gravity. Once your spotter gives you a line or you have a line, you have to be committed to it as soon as that center of gravity starts to change.

And absolute worst case - this appears to be mostly dirt. If the Jeep is going to go over, this is where you would want it to be. I dont see a sheer drop off driver side, just a lot more dirt.
__________________
2014 JKR Granite Crystal, 5.13 Auto: RK X Factor 2.5 Inch Lift, Artec Front and Rear Truss, Artec Rear LCA Mounts/Skids, Poison Spyder HD Crossmember, Rock Hard Gas/TC/Evap/Oil Skids, Rough Country Diff Sliders, Nitto Trail Grapplers 37x12.5x17, Pro Comp 97 Series Wheels, Synergy Weld On Rear Trackbar Bracket, PSC Hydroassist, T6 Aluminum Tie Rod, G2 Gold Chromoly Axle Shaft/RCV front axle shaft, Dynatrac Ball Joints, 1310 driveshafts, Artec Rear Upper CA Mounts, Warn VR8000.
mommymallcrawler is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:35 PM
Thread Starter
  #14
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymallcrawler View Post
Not even close.... Although if you are not experienced with off camber, I suspect upholstery cleaning may be in order...



While it sounds absolutely counterintuitive, generally turn INTO a lean. Where you have wheels pointed driver is the correct way to approach this.



But keep in mind - very important - so long as you have not flopped, the Jeep has found a center of gravity. That you feel puckered is irrelevant in the equation. It is what the Jeep is doing that is important at moments like that. Worst thing to do is freak out or do sudden motions (ie move your body, stomp hard on gas or brake, open and slam door shut etc) that change that center of gravity. Once your spotter gives you a line or you have a line, you have to be committed to it as soon as that center of gravity starts to change.



And absolute worst case - this appears to be mostly dirt. If the Jeep is going to go over, this is where you would want it to be. I dont see a sheer drop off driver side, just a lot more dirt.

I will admit, I was freaked out and just worried about damage. I know I was safe. My girlfriend got and ran to get some help.

I figured I should get the wheels downhill and hoping it would ho nose down. But any little change got my sliding down hill.

I originally just got front wheel off the trail. When I try to correct and back up to have room, the back end started to slide. Then each movement trying to get back up or move down, the whole jeep moved sideways and tilted more.

I sat there for almost 10 min waiting for help. Once it came the park guy said sit still and he was going to anchor my rear with a chain to his truck. Once I was secured he said it get out.
I laughed and cried and shouted HELL NO, LOL.
He laughed and said ok. At this point I figured i am probably going to be ok and maybe just a tad of damage. He did tell my GF to stay away. Tools me my COG was good but was not a great position to be in.

Once anchored, I backed up, and the front end slid nose down. Did the same again and drove off safely.

My concern was if my sidewalls got any more buried, that would change my COG and cause me to flip. Each pedal movement, made me dig in deeper. Soft sand and rocks.

I am not sure with my experience, I would have gotten out. Maybe I would have been ok but I was a bit scared and hoped the Jeep and suspension would do it job.

Once we were off, I went to park and have a beer. Looking at the pictures, I realized it was not as bad as it felt in the Jeep and I was generally safe from rolling.

But to a newbie in that situation and no spotter to help, It was nerve racking.
Luckily my pants and seats stayed cleaned and I laughed it off.
My GF started to joke saying she never saw me freak. I was thinking just of how to get back home, what would auto insurance would say and how much in repairs I was looking at.

Spent another hour having fun and getting the belly buried to the doors on a soft hill and needing a tow off.

What fun and great day overall though!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is online now   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:07 PM   #15
QUEEN OF MALLCRAWLERS

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
mommymallcrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scottsdale, Arizona
Posts: 8,107
Glad you learned from the experience! One future piece of advice tho: always have another Jeep with an experienced driver with you. And there is absolutely no shame ever in needing to pull cable or strap.
DIRT BOY likes this.
mommymallcrawler is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:27 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,711
You were nowhere close to rolling.
AlaskaErik is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:39 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
YnotAJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: La Verne, Calif.
Posts: 3,697
It's better to think you were close and take corrective action than to think you were not close and be wrong.
Mike H., guptonr, Jab1719 and 5 others like this.
__________________
2014 JKUR, Leather and everything inside, 4 inch OME springs, all Alpine arms, Adams front driveshaft, Falcon 2.1's, Adj track bars front and rear, heavy bumpers and winch, ICON rims and 315-70-17 BFG KO2's, ARB diff covers, ProComp LED's, 2 Bernese Mtn dogs.
Previously 2001 XJ lifted 5, SYE, True-tracks F & R.
CJ7, 304V8, auto, loaded, Detroit rear, and more.
90 Bronco,, 76 Bronco,, 70 Bronco
YnotAJeep is offline   Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:47 PM   #18
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
jadmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: missoula
Posts: 21,191
From experience i know photos never do justice to how steep something is.
__________________
2018 Gobi Recon unlimited W/Mopar 2" lift coils combined with RK rear coils wedges, TF lower control arms, rear TF monster track bar and rear track bar bracket and Falcon 3.1 shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 315/75-17 on AEV Salta rims, Grabars, RE gas skid tank, mopar head liner, Warn VR10 and Maximus3 winch plate.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/y...i-2192385.html
jadmt is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:46 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 554
I bet it looks worse from the driver's seat. That is the way it goes, I show someone a pic or video then they go "eh". Next time I took them on that hill, in person, they were freaking out.
NickMOAB is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
H8SPVMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 2,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
Think so? With each movement, my pitch got steeper as the wheels dig in. All I could feel was sliding down and more tilt.
Wondering....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have been in a couple roll-overs in my lifetime.
What you have is a good lean (off camber) situation that we all learn to handle as we get more experienced. The sliding is part is the real excitement in that it feels uncontrollable and can be at times but turning into the slide and allowing your wheels to roll will most always get you down.

Muddy situations are a cause for real concerns for off camber situations.... and those may not even entail rolling over!

Oh Gosh, I forgot (to mention) about all those heavy sea states I survived in my younger days flopping around in nasty storms....
__________________

2015 Firecracker Red JK Hard Rock with Bushwacker Flat Fenders
Trans American Trail (TAT) Completed Jul/Aug 17,
Smoky Mtn. 500 2018
Smoky Mtn 1000 & Georgia Traverse 2019
H8SPVMT is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
H8SPVMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 2,856
Deleted repete
__________________

2015 Firecracker Red JK Hard Rock with Bushwacker Flat Fenders
Trans American Trail (TAT) Completed Jul/Aug 17,
Smoky Mtn. 500 2018
Smoky Mtn 1000 & Georgia Traverse 2019
H8SPVMT is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymallcrawler View Post
....

While it sounds absolutely counterintuitive, generally turn INTO a lean. Where you have wheels pointed driver is the correct way to approach this. ...


.... Worst thing to do is freak out or do sudden motions (ie move your body, stomp hard on gas or brake, ....
quoted for emphasis.

This guy in a built YJ asked if he could ride with us several years ago at Durhamtown. Said he was experienced, lots of Moab trips, etc.

Didn't listen one lick to me on this really nasty hill and hit his brakes as he started to fail it. Shocks loaded, springs unloaded on the opposite side, and the roll happened.
At least his wife listened to me and got out before he tried the hill.

DIRT BOY likes this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Thread Starter
  #23
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,577
It is funny how people see the pictures and says you barely leaning. Yes, As I look at the pics, its does not seem that bad.
But in the seat, my body was against the doors full weight. So I was leaning hard. As scared as I got (not getting hurt but the $$), I was able to laugh it off once I was secure.
Great learning experience and glad I did some things right and my Jeep survived.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BigSkyJK and Jab1719 like this.
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is online now   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:13 AM   #24
Wrangler Forum Crew

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Lifetime Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Blue Baby Sound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Glenpool, OK (Tulsa)
Posts: 14,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post
It is funny how people see the pictures and says you barely leaning. Yes, As I look at the pics, its does not seem that bad.
But in the seat, my body was against the doors full weight. So I was leaning hard. As scared as I got (not getting hurt but the $$), I was able to laugh it off once I was secure.
Great learning experience and glad I did some things right and my Jeep survived.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pics NEVER do the situation justice. EVER IMO it's the sliding added to the off camber that gets scary. Most all of us that have gone off road have been in a situation like that. It's funny afterwards but a puckering moment while it's happening. In my case it's usually followed by my wife saying "I told you not to do that!!"


FWIW here's my wife getting off camber on our last ride, she felt she was going to flop but there was still a little more room to go (IMO). Notice how far off the ground her tire is, so you likely had a lot more room to go before you flopped.



DIRT BOY and Jk4papa like this.
__________________
HERS-2018 JK- Gobi- (WOOKIEE) Build Thread
HIS- 2014 JKUR- Copperhead Pearl (BRUTUS) Build Thread
Retired 2016 JKWW- Firecracker Red (MAXIMUS)
Retired 2013 JKUS- White- (THOR)
Blue Baby Sound is online now   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:18 AM
Thread Starter
  #25
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Baby Sound View Post
Pics NEVER do the situation justice. EVER IMO it's the sliding added to the off camber that gets scary. Most all of us that have gone off road have been in a situation like that. It's funny afterwards but a puckering moment while it's happening. In my case it's usually followed by my wife saying "I told you not to do that!!"





FWIW here's my wife getting off camber of the last ride, she felt she was going to flop but there was still a little more room to go (IMO). Notice how far off the ground her tire is, so you likely had a lot more room to go before you flopped.









Damn! That’s crazy and awesome. Yeah the sliding made me worried. Sliding and piling the dirt against the tire to flip me.
Learned a lot and also what our Jeeps from stock to crazy built up can do.
Also happy tires did not rip of an fenders on some bigger flexing I did.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is online now   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Cummins_Powered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
quoted for emphasis.

This guy in a built YJ asked if he could ride with us several years ago at Durhamtown. Said he was experienced, lots of Moab trips, etc.

Didn't listen one lick to me on this really nasty hill and hit his brakes as he started to fail it. Shocks loaded, springs unloaded on the opposite side, and the roll happened.
At least his wife listened to me and got out before he tried the hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB-cUlnAKeE

Is this video also showing us where NOT to stand when trying to roll that YJ back over??
H8SPVMT likes this.
Cummins_Powered is online now   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:30 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
rednroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRT BOY View Post

Once we were off, I went to park and have a beer. Looking at the pictures, I realized it was not as bad as it felt in the Jeep and I was generally safe from rolling.

I have to admit, pictures and being there and experiencing it in person tend to be 2 very different things. I remember my 1st time at Silver Lake sand dunes and climbing hills. Some hills other folks were climbing up and not making it to the top of the hill, I sat at the bottom, starred at the climb for 10 minutes, where from the driver's perspective it looked like it was a straight up climb where in reality it was more like a 40deg incline and then I just shook my head and said "ahhhh...hell no, not today." Then I took a pic of the hill from my vantage point of where I was sitting at the bottom....and the pic did not do it justice of what I was feeling from being in the driver's seat.

Then there were those folks who were doing those horse shoe bank turns on the side of hills, where you start going up the hill from the side and U-turn back down, very similar to what you were experiencing just in one continuous fast motion.....where I looked at that and said...."Looks like fun but I'ld like to keep my undies clean today."

The worst part for me was that when we 1st started our sand dunes off-road trip my wife was terrified sitting in the passenger's seat and screaming on every little bump/hill we climbed. Then after we climbed a few moderately sized hills, she started to really enjoy it, where she was the one next to me and daring me to do obstacles I didn't feel quite comfortable with, where she was like, "Come on! Stop being such a pu**y, that Jeep just did that....you can do that!" I was like, "That Jeep has proper axle gearing and lockers, and does not have our 5 year old son sitting in the back seat!"
Hilldweller and DIRT BOY like this.
__________________
DIYer mantra: "It doesn't cost that much more to just do it yourself."
rednroll is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins_Powered View Post
Is this video also showing us where NOT to stand when trying to roll that YJ back over??
Yeah ---- I was driving the recovery Jeep, not directing the recovery. One of those guys was a team member on a Camel Trophy too. I don't know what they thought they were doing by "helping" me flip the YJ.
Cummins_Powered likes this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:13 PM
Thread Starter
  #29
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DIRT BOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednroll View Post
I have to admit, pictures and being there and experiencing it in person tend to be 2 very different things. I remember my 1st time at Silver Lake sand dunes and climbing hills. Some hills other folks were climbing up and not making it to the top of the hill, I sat at the bottom, starred at the climb for 10 minutes, where from the driver's perspective it looked like it was a straight up climb where in reality it was more like a 40deg incline and then I just shook my head and said "ahhhh...hell no, not today." Then I took a pic of the hill from my vantage point of where I was sitting at the bottom....and the pic did not do it justice of what I was feeling from being in the driver's seat.

Then there were those folks who were doing those horse shoe bank turns on the side of hills, where you start going up the hill from the side and U-turn back down, very similar to what you were experiencing just in one continuous fast motion.....where I looked at that and said...."Looks like fun but I'ld like to keep my undies clean today."

The worst part for me was that when we 1st started our sand dunes off-road trip my wife was terrified sitting in the passenger's seat and screaming on every little bump/hill we climbed. Then after we climbed a few moderately sized hills, she started to really enjoy it, where she was the one next to me and daring me to do obstacles I didn't feel quite comfortable with, where she was like, "Come on! Stop being such a pu**y, that Jeep just did that....you can do that!" I was like, "That Jeep has proper axle gearing and lockers, and does not have our 5 year old son sitting in the back seat!"

There was a claim like that at this park, that I was too nervous to try my first time. So I wrapped her go up it fast and easy but then 15 minutes later the kid ran up on a hill too fast and broke an axle. Both his wheels without turned outward and he was gonna need a flatbed home. Felt bad for the kid.
Yeah pictures sometimes dont tell the whole story and being a newbie it can seem sooo much worse!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2015 JKU Sahara- Hydro Blue Pearl * Dual Top/Premium * AEV 2.5 Dual Sport XT Lift * Old Man Emu OME-SD48 SS * TOYO Open Country R/T 35x12.5R18LT * Fuel Anza D55 18" Wheels * PS Brawler Lite Front w/ Skid & Rear Bumper * SMITTYBILT X20-10 Gen 2 Winch w/ Spydersilk line/Factor 55 Flat-Link * A0101 LED Headlights * LED Fogs * Quadratech LED Rear Lights * JWM 4x4 Billet Grill Insert * Teraflex HD Carrier * Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Latches * Remote Start * Uniden Bearcat 880 * FireStik FS-4BK 4'
DIRT BOY is online now   Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 12:17 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
rednroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post

Didn't listen one lick to me on this really nasty hill and hit his brakes as he started to fail it. Shocks loaded, springs unloaded on the opposite side, and the roll happened.
At least his wife listened to me and got out before he tried the hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB-cUlnAKeE

Yeah but at least he put his hazard flashers on.
Hilldweller likes this.

__________________
DIYer mantra: "It doesn't cost that much more to just do it yourself."
rednroll is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.