Tires and shiznit - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ScottDBrown
  • 1 Post By DesertRubi
  • 1 Post By jdinny
  • 1 Post By Hilldweller
  • 1 Post By Prages
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-10-2019, 11:11 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Tires and shiznit

Anyone care to give a clueless girl some information about how to select tires for my Jeep. I'm not sure what I should be looking for when selecting tires. All I know is I want a set of 33s, not rushing to jump to anything big right now. Few pointers if it matters: my jeep is my daily driver, not going to be doing any major off-roading as I just got it, and its my first one and I'm not trying to break it just yet, I like the look of a 3.5 lift and 35 combo especially the 35x12.50x20 Mickey Thompson MTZp3, I know I do not necessarily need a lift to put on 33s, but I am either going to put a level kit on it, or a small lift kit on it, I do not like the look of a higher lift on 33s.

dkaw is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
DesertRubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 450
Do you need good snow performance? Nitto Ridge Grappler and BFH KO2 are the two most popular AT tires, good performance on and off road, fairly aggressive looks. Of those I think the KO2 is better in snow, though just second hand as I haven't had either. Falken AT3W is another good AT and a bit cheaper. Then there's the Goodyear Duratrac that I think is one of the best ATs in the snow, but maybe not quite as good as the first two in other conditions. Probably can't go wrong with any of those though.

Discount Tire (or America's Tire) is a good place to shop for good prices and selection, and they give you free lifetime rotations and balancing.

Edit to say sorry I saw you said you like the MTZ3, a more aggressive mud tire. MTs will give you the looks and off road performance, but also generally worse performance on road (especially in rain and snow), more noise, and lower life with a greater demand for more frequent rotations to keep wear even. I prefer MTs because I want max performance off road and can live with the downsides, though these Patagonia MTs I'm running are popular for being cheap and good on and off road, though may still have relatively low life.

__________________
2017 JKUR Firecracker Red | Auto, 4.10s, ARB Rear and PS Front Diff Covers, Adams 1310 Front Driveshaft
MetalCloak 2.5" True Dual Rate Rocksport | 315/70/17 Milestar Patagonia MT, Stock Rubi Wheels, 1.75" Spidertrax
10A Bumpers, Warn VR10-S | Teraflex HD Hinge/Carrier, Vector Exo Rack | RH4x4 Engine and LCA Skids, HD Crossmember
DesertRubi is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:41 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRubi View Post
Do you need good snow performance? Nitto Ridge Grappler and BFH KO2 are the two most popular AT tires, good performance on and off road, fairly aggressive looks. Of those I think the KO2 is better in snow, though just second hand as I haven't had either. Falken AT3W is another good AT and a bit cheaper. Then there's the Goodyear Duratrac that I think is one of the best ATs in the snow, but maybe not quite as good as the first two in other conditions. Probably can't go wrong with any of those though.

Discount Tire (or America's Tire) is a good place to shop for good prices and selection, and they give you free lifetime rotations and balancing.

Edit to say sorry I saw you said you like the MTZ3, a more aggressive mud tire. MTs will give you the looks and off road performance, but also generally worse performance on road (especially in rain and snow), more noise, and lower life with a greater demand for more frequent rotations to keep wear even. I prefer MTs because I want max performance off road and can live with the downsides, though these Patagonia MTs I'm running are popular for being cheap and good on and off road, though may still have relatively low life.
I will have to look into the ones you recommended, sorry I forgot to mention I live in AK......so we drive on ice! lol. MTZ3 aren't a dealer breaker for me, I just like the aggressive look of them. Thanks for the info.
dkaw is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
ScottDBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 70
I installed the Falken Wild Peak all Terrain 35's on my Jeep and really like the quietness over the MT series tires and so far they have provided great traction for me. If you can stand the noise of the MT series which will be louder, then go with what you want. If you want the quieter series as a daily driver and will not do any serious wheeling then go for the All terrain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep side view.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	4156533  
dkaw likes this.
ScottDBrown is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
DesertRubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 450
I'd look for recommendations from other posters on tires that perform well in ice and snow. Here in CA I don't have to worry about that so much apart from the odd fresh deep snow in the mountains where MTs do OK. Most MTs will be mediocre to terrible on packed snow and ice, as they often have big fat tread blocks without significant siping. The MTZ3s at least have some siping looking at them, but I have no idea how well they actually perform.
dkaw likes this.
__________________
2017 JKUR Firecracker Red | Auto, 4.10s, ARB Rear and PS Front Diff Covers, Adams 1310 Front Driveshaft
MetalCloak 2.5" True Dual Rate Rocksport | 315/70/17 Milestar Patagonia MT, Stock Rubi Wheels, 1.75" Spidertrax
10A Bumpers, Warn VR10-S | Teraflex HD Hinge/Carrier, Vector Exo Rack | RH4x4 Engine and LCA Skids, HD Crossmember
DesertRubi is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:37 AM
Thread Starter
  #6
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDBrown View Post
I installed the Falken Wild Peak all Terrain 35's on my Jeep and really like the quietness over the MT series tires and so far they have provided great traction for me. If you can stand the noise of the MT series which will be louder, then go with what you want. If you want the quieter series as a daily driver and will not do any serious wheeling then go for the All terrain.

Nice rig! Do you have any closer pictures of your wheel set up? Quieter would be ideal, however I am going for an overall more aggressive look, don't want anything that will look too small.
dkaw is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:38 AM
Thread Starter
  #7
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRubi View Post
I'd look for recommendations from other posters on tires that perform well in ice and snow. Here in CA I don't have to worry about that so much apart from the odd fresh deep snow in the mountains where MTs do OK. Most MTs will be mediocre to terrible on packed snow and ice, as they often have big fat tread blocks without significant siping. The MTZ3s at least have some siping looking at them, but I have no idea how well they actually perform.

Thank you for the much needed information.
dkaw is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:03 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
jdinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In the woods, on a mountain, in NY
Posts: 2,140
We use Cooper ST MAXX on our three Jeeps.
We are in upstate NY, and spend 3 months a year up in the Adirondacks at our snowmobile camp where it snows just about every night and reaches -30's routinely, so we get a lot of hardpack on the roads, nothing like Ak, but the Coopers do a pretty good job.
Now, I put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's on my Cummins Ram, and REALLY like them.
Great snow and wet performance, really great ride, and very quiet.
Probably gonna use them on the JK 2 door when it's ready.
Coopers are the only other American tire mfg'er left besides Goodyear.

I would reconsider going with 20's, 17's will ride, and work much better on a Jeep on and off road.
Hilldweller likes this.
__________________
'12 JK Gecko | AEV 2.5/wGCB's | 315 Cooper S/T MAXX | AEV Salta's | Enhanced Rubicon rails | Trektop NX | Soft Doors | JW Speaker tail lights | M/T S1 bumper | Smitty X20-10 Comp | Factor 55 | Tactik HD spare carrier | ACE Halfback bumper | 4.10's | e-lockers | e-disconnect

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
jdinny is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:36 AM   #9
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
cadman99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottDBrown View Post
I installed the Falken Wild Peak all Terrain 35's on my Jeep and really like the quietness over the MT series tires and so far they have provided great traction for me. If you can stand the noise of the MT series which will be louder, then go with what you want. If you want the quieter series as a daily driver and will not do any serious wheeling then go for the All terrain.
Very nice ride! I have Duratrac's on my 16 2 door. Excellent in snow and nice aggressive look. I have not had the wet road / snow issues that come with the mud tires, however these are very similar in design.
Attached Images
 
cadman99 is online now   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:55 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
i812many's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: quaint drinking town with a fishing problem....
Posts: 345
If you like those MTZ maybe look at their ATZp3. It is an all terrain/mud hybrid. I have 20,000 on them, they are guiet, wearing well and handle great on the highway. How they perform in the snow though is beyond me. The only ice my Jeep sees is the ice in the cooler.
Liked them so much got a set for the wife in 285/70/17 along with a terflex performance leveling kit.
This set up sounds like what you want. Lift and tires are going on Thursday so I will try to post a pic for you when it complete. Best of luck in your decision!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
V.D.P. stubby bumper caps - TERAFLEX ST/3" LIFT w/2.0 FOX RESERVOIR SHOCKS - 17"X9" MAMMOTH BOULDER WHEELS WRAPPED IN 315/70R/17 MICKEY THOMPSON ATZ P3's - TERAFLEX HD hinged carrier and mount - TERAFLEX HD diff covers-SUPERCHIPS FLAHPAQ - PROCOMP LED HEADLIGHTS - BOLT LOCKS EVERYWHERE
i812many is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:47 AM   #11
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
AAONMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida's First Coast
Posts: 227
I had Mickey Thompson MTZ on my TJ and really liked their performance and longevity.
When it came time to upgrade my JK, I was planning to again use the Mickey Thompsons; however, a few friends in the tire business told me that Mickey’s aren’t what they used to be.
Following that disappointing news, I looked around a bit and decided on Falken tires. Both their all-terrain and mud terrain tires get good reviews.
I went with their mud terrain, the MT01. So far, after ~2000 miles and one wheeling trip, I am more than pleased. The tires did well in Florida mud as well as on what passes for rocks here, limestone boulders, and have good road manners without being loud.
Remember that with any aggressive tire, a good alignment and frequent rotation are your friend.
__________________
Shriners
AAONMS is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:34 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,426
I like Cooper ST-Maxx on everything. I think my Toyo AT2-Xtremes were a little better on ice ---- but they were on the Power Wagon, not the Jeep....


Just don't get tires from Canada. Rough ride.

jdinny likes this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
loud pipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 695
I’ve got experience with the following, driving in all season in Northern Ohio:

Cooper STT Pro - great tire, MT rather than AT so it definitely hums on the road (which I like)

BF Goodrich KO2 - great all around tire, a little louder than the Generals, much quieter than the Coopers, treadlife shorter than General, great in winter

General Grabber AT2 - very good tire, great value for the price, quieter than the KO2s, excellent treadlife

Dick Cepek Fun Country - great treadlife and mild noise, strong performer in snow

FalKen Wild Peak - good tire value for the price, but I had trouble keeping a balance on these; needed to have them rebalanced a couple times per year for some reason


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
2012 Call of Duty MW3 #1627/3500
2006 Mustang GT Convertible Premium
2007 Harley Street Glide
loud pipes is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
akpostal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 497
Ive run Cooper STTs for a long time year round in AK. Im now on a set of STT Pros in a 33" variety. I always get them siped for better traction on ice.
akpostal is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: WV
Posts: 2,227
I've been running Cooper ST Maxx in 295/70R17 for a couple of years now. They do very well in most conditions, and they are wearing like iron. I have about 30k miles on them, and I imagine I can get another 30k out of them.
jdinny likes this.
Prages is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
jonathanthursty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38
I have Nitto terra grappler g2 (a/t tires) and they are fantastic. I live in Wyoming and spend a bit of time in the mountains. The difference is night and day between the nitto and stock BFG M/T tires. So much better on the ice and snow and sounds great driving down the highway as well.
jonathanthursty is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:09 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
jdinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: In the woods, on a mountain, in NY
Posts: 2,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812many View Post
If you like those MTZ maybe look at their ATZp3. It is an all terrain/mud hybrid. I have 20,000 on them, they are guiet, wearing well and handle great on the highway. How they perform in the snow though is beyond me. The only ice my Jeep sees is the ice in the cooler.
Liked them so much got a set for the wife in 285/70/17 along with a terflex performance leveling kit.
This set up sounds like what you want. Lift and tires are going on Thursday so I will try to post a pic for you when it complete. Best of luck in your decision!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, that is the M/T ST MAXX version.
Cooper makes the M/T tire brand, as well as a few others.
As far as M/T not being the same, that's a new one on me.
Cooper has made them forever
__________________
'12 JK Gecko | AEV 2.5/wGCB's | 315 Cooper S/T MAXX | AEV Salta's | Enhanced Rubicon rails | Trektop NX | Soft Doors | JW Speaker tail lights | M/T S1 bumper | Smitty X20-10 Comp | Factor 55 | Tactik HD spare carrier | ACE Halfback bumper | 4.10's | e-lockers | e-disconnect

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
jdinny is offline   Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
i812many's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: quaint drinking town with a fishing problem....
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinny View Post
Yes, that is the M/T ST MAXX version.
Cooper makes the M/T tire brand, as well as a few others.
As far as M/T not being the same, that's a new one on me.
Cooper has made them forever
https://www.mickeythompsontires.com/...es/baja-atz-p3

It was all their fancy words that sold me, lol

__________________
V.D.P. stubby bumper caps - TERAFLEX ST/3" LIFT w/2.0 FOX RESERVOIR SHOCKS - 17"X9" MAMMOTH BOULDER WHEELS WRAPPED IN 315/70R/17 MICKEY THOMPSON ATZ P3's - TERAFLEX HD hinged carrier and mount - TERAFLEX HD diff covers-SUPERCHIPS FLAHPAQ - PROCOMP LED HEADLIGHTS - BOLT LOCKS EVERYWHERE
i812many is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC