Towing Camper-Trailer with my 2015 JK 2-Dr, 3.21 Gears - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-25-2015, 04:56 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Big-Dog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 546
Towing Camper-Trailer with my 2015 JK 2-Dr, 3.21 Gears

Hi, I thought some of you might find this interesting.

I recently bought an Aliner hard-sided "Tent" trailer to pull behind my 2-door JK. The trailer is only about 10 feet long (plus the tongue), and weighs around 1300 pounds. While small, this trailer is well-equipped with a sink, Porta-Potty, air conditioner, furnace, water heater, microwave, refrigerator, and an outside shower. And it has an inverter to power my little flat-screen TV and DVD player. From the time I back it in to a camp spot, it can be set up and leveled in less than 2 minutes.

My JK has a manual tranny, and 3.21 gears. I upgraded from the stock steel wheels and tires to slightly larger Jeep alloy wheels and tires (tires are about 30" diameter). I bought a Superchips FlashCal and calibrated the speedometer for the larger tires. The bigger tires left me feeling that I would have been better off with 3.73 gearing (for example, with the 3.1 gearing it is very easy to stall the engine when taking off from a stop).

I don't do much off-roading or any rock-climbing -- my Wranger is used for running around town, day trips, pulling behind my motorhome, and now weekend camping with the Aliner trailer. I totally love the versatility of the Wrangler.

Anyway, I just took the Aliner trailer camping, and it towed really nice. I went about 450 miles in mountainous country, and averaged 21.8 mpg overall (I was VERY pleased with the mileage). The long gearing had me shifting down to 5th and 4th frequently, and on some up-hill grades I had trouble staying above 50 mph.

The trailer has electric brakes, but I currently only have flat-4 wiring on the Jeep so no electric brake control yet. On my trip the Jeep brakes were quite adequate (nothing scary at all). However, I do plan on wiring the Jeep for an electric brake controller soon.

The tongue weight on the Aliner is about 300 pounds (weighed it with a bathroom scale), and it pushes the back of the Jeep down a couple of inches, which points the headlights at the sky. So I just bought and installed a pair of AirLift air bag springs. They jack the back of the Jeep back up where it belongs and take care of the headlight problem. Less than a hundred bucks for the set, and they installed in about an hour.

I also plan to re-gear to 3.73 gears. There is a local guy that specializes in Wrangler's and re-gearing, and he said he can fix me up for about $850 for used 3.73 gears and carriers, which seems quite reasonable to me. I will no doubt lose a little fuel economy, but the 3.73 gears should feel a lot better with my tire size and when towing. I'll report later on how the re-gearing went.

Cheers...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepAndAliner (Custom).jpg
Views:	257
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	2441481  
__________________
2015 Firecracker Red JK Soft-top, 6-spd Manual, 3.73 gears, LSD Rear
Big-Dog1 is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
Newb
 
ohburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 9
I have a brand new 2015 and they have the 3.73 axle for towing and if I recall the max tongue weight was 300 pounds. I know automatics and the four door can take bigger loads as mine is 3500 weight. Are you sure you aren't overloading your jeep?

ohburn is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
JumpNJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: MD
Posts: 183
you might want to consider 4.11 gear when regearing.
JumpNJeep is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-26-2015, 07:09 AM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
TjMtl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,028
I also have air lift bags and don't regret it at all. i got the Wireless air compressor kit and it makes it a snap to set the pressure and maintain it automatically each time I start the Jeep.

I also got the 7 pin mopar trailer harness wired alongside the 4 pin so I can use either depending which trailer I'm pulling. It's a nice kit with heat shield in all the right places.

Nice trailer btw.
__________________
'03 TJ Sahara
'15 JKURHR
TjMtl is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:41 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
JKURubi14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohburn View Post
I have a brand new 2015 and they have the 3.73 axle for towing and if I recall the max tongue weight was 300 pounds. I know automatics and the four door can take bigger loads as mine is 3500 weight. Are you sure you aren't overloading your jeep?
What you can tow depends on what package you get - not all 4-dr autos will tow 3500lbs. You have to have the Max Tow package equipped to do that. We don't have it, and our 4-dr auto can only tow around 2000lbs. And tongue load limit is 350lbs, so the OP should be good
JKURubi14 is offline   Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
jeep0995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Dog1 View Post
Hi, I thought some of you might find this interesting. I recently bought an Aliner hard-sided "Tent" trailer to pull behind my 2-door JK. The trailer is only about 10 feet long (plus the tongue), and weighs around 1300 pounds. While small, this trailer is well-equipped with a sink, Porta-Potty, air conditioner, furnace, water heater, microwave, refrigerator, and an outside shower. And it has an inverter to power my little flat-screen TV and DVD player. From the time I back it in to a camp spot, it can be set up and leveled in less than 2 minutes. My JK has a manual tranny, and 3.21 gears. I upgraded from the stock steel wheels and tires to slightly larger Jeep alloy wheels and tires (tires are about 30" diameter). I bought a Superchips FlashCal and calibrated the speedometer for the larger tires. The bigger tires left me feeling that I would have been better off with 3.73 gearing (for example, with the 3.1 gearing it is very easy to stall the engine when taking off from a stop). I don't do much off-roading or any rock-climbing -- my Wranger is used for running around town, day trips, pulling behind my motorhome, and now weekend camping with the Aliner trailer. I totally love the versatility of the Wrangler. Anyway, I just took the Aliner trailer camping, and it towed really nice. I went about 450 miles in mountainous country, and averaged 21.8 mpg overall (I was VERY pleased with the mileage). The long gearing had me shifting down to 5th and 4th frequently, and on some up-hill grades I had trouble staying above 50 mph. The trailer has electric brakes, but I currently only have flat-4 wiring on the Jeep so no electric brake control yet. On my trip the Jeep brakes were quite adequate (nothing scary at all). However, I do plan on wiring the Jeep for an electric brake controller soon. The tongue weight on the Aliner is about 300 pounds (weighed it with a bathroom scale), and it pushes the back of the Jeep down a couple of inches, which points the headlights at the sky. So I just bought and installed a pair of AirLift air bag springs. They jack the back of the Jeep back up where it belongs and take care of the headlight problem. Less than a hundred bucks for the set, and they installed in about an hour. I also plan to re-gear to 3.73 gears. There is a local guy that specializes in Wrangler's and re-gearing, and he said he can fix me up for about $850 for used 3.73 gears and carriers, which seems quite reasonable to me. I will no doubt lose a little fuel economy, but the 3.73 gears should feel a lot better with my tire size and when towing. I'll report later on how the re-gearing went. Cheers...
Sure looks like a lot of fun. And thanks for the specific information. Very helpful. 👍
jeep0995 is offline   Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:51 AM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Big-Dog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep0995 View Post
Sure looks like a lot of fun. And thanks for the specific information. Very helpful. ��
Thanks! Yeah, I love the little trailer -- and it seems like a really good match to the Jeep.

BTW, I just ordered a "Prodigy 3" electric brake controller and 7-pin trailer wiring kit - it will be good to get that stuff installed. I also made an appointment for next week to get the JK re-geared to 3.73's. I thought about doing 4.11's, but I think for my use (almost all highway and around town) the 3.73's will be a good compromise between power and economy.
__________________
2015 Firecracker Red JK Soft-top, 6-spd Manual, 3.73 gears, LSD Rear
Big-Dog1 is offline   Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Big-Dog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMtl View Post
I also have air lift bags and don't regret it at all. i got the Wireless air compressor kit and it makes it a snap to set the pressure and maintain it automatically each time I start the Jeep.

I also got the 7 pin mopar trailer harness wired alongside the 4 pin so I can use either depending which trailer I'm pulling. It's a nice kit with heat shield in all the right places.

Nice trailer btw.
Thanks!

This week I took my Wrangler out to Jeeps West in Sandy Oregon to get the re-gearing done. Dave out there really knows his stuff. Turns out he had a Trac-Loc limited slip carrier with 3.73 gearing that would fit my rear differential, so now I have 3.73 gearing both front and rear, and a rear LSD.

I'm very pleased with the new gearing - it feels right for my on-road uses, and it pulls the Aliner trailer just fine. The original 3.21 gearing was OK with the stock 16" rims and 225/75R16 tires (about 29" diameter), but was not great with the Sport-S 17" wheels and 255/75R17's (32" diameter) tires I have on there now.

I also completed wiring a 7-pin trailer plug and installed a Prodigy P3 brake controller.

By the way, Jeeps West is a pretty amazing place -- they specialize in rock crawling and off-road builds. I was impressed with the quality of the work I could see on the several Wranglers Dave had in the shop. Some serious suspension mods were going on there!

__________________
2015 Firecracker Red JK Soft-top, 6-spd Manual, 3.73 gears, LSD Rear
Big-Dog1 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.