VA Failed Inspection Third Brake Light and Side Markers - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree43Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
DocStarbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
VA Failed Inspection Third Brake Light and Side Markers

I'm stunned. Just got back from the mechanic shop. I live in Virginia.


I've had all these lights on for years and now they need to say DOT on them?

(I took care of the battery hold down after this. Forgot I took that off a few years back.)

DocStarbuck is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:31 AM
Thread Starter
  #2
Newb
 
DocStarbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8

DocStarbuck is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:32 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Newb
 
DocStarbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
DocStarbuck is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,173
I think that comes down to the shop / guy doing the inspection. You were always required to have DOT stamps on those lights, but it seems until now no one cared.
You can try a different shop, perhaps one that is more mod friendly.
NoVA_Mike and DocStarbuck like this.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
USStrongman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: West Texas & Yellowstone
Posts: 1,989
The bottom line is anyone can fail inspection that doesn't have DOT stamps as part of the cover. Its been tested and approved based on DOT scrutiny requirements. Back in the day, most aftermarket products said "for off road use only". Now very few companies use that terminology when selling anything that would normally require DOT approval or is deemed non OEM in application.
DocStarbuck likes this.
__________________
2016 JKU Oscar Mike in Granite Crystal (RIP)
2017 JKU Winter Edition in Chief
USStrongman is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,166
It's a brave new world (not) ... It sucks when you have to hold your breath at inspection time. I've actually sold cars because I just couldn't be bothered anymore.
DocStarbuck likes this.
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is online now   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Newb
 
DocStarbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 8
I honestly believed that just the headlights and taillights needed the DOT stamp. The side markers and turn signals though... Come on. A quick look at them working as intended should be fine.
DocStarbuck is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RubiconSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocStarbuck View Post
I honestly believed that just the headlights and taillights needed the DOT stamp. The side markers and turn signals though... Come on. A quick look at them working as intended should be fine.
"I guess" the pure motivation (if there is such a thing) is that they are "protecting " us from the guys running around with illegal lighting.
That or, more likely.... that shop has gotten dinged and is being watched.
The shop foreman or owner has laid down the law until the dust settles.

In the meantime, if they don't like the way your seats smell - FAIL and you still have to pay them.
Winner/winner they get chicken dinner.
DocStarbuck likes this.
__________________
"Sticking Feathers up Your Butt does Not make You a Chicken"
RubiconSS is online now   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
USStrongman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: West Texas & Yellowstone
Posts: 1,989
More than likely the shop is under scrutiny. Find a Jeep club in your area and find out where they go for inspections. Probably a bit more lenient.
AAONMS, WaltA and DocStarbuck like this.
__________________
2016 JKU Oscar Mike in Granite Crystal (RIP)
2017 JKU Winter Edition in Chief
USStrongman is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
pkdailey4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Alameda, California
Posts: 400
I have reflectors in the rear for side markers (not DOT approved) Passed. https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.11
pkdailey4 is online now   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
MeachamBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Top of the Blues
Posts: 774
If DOT approval means anything how did the stock headlights slip by?
__________________
15 JKR
AEV SAVEGRE WHEEL 17X8.5 5X5 MATTE BLK
LT275/70R17/6 Hercules Terra Trac AT ll
TERAFLEX CARRIER AND TIRE MOUNT
Rock Hard Aluminum Patriot Full Width front&rear
Warn M8000-S
MeachamBearcat is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
WaltA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Planet, Sol system
Posts: 9,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeachamBearcat View Post
If DOT approval means anything how did the stock headlights slip by?

My stock headlights have "DOT" on them. That's all that is required for inspection.
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1999 Cherokee Limited (w/ Up Country)
1987 Wrangler Laredo
[All custom ordered]
WaltA is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
WaltA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Planet, Sol system
Posts: 9,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocStarbuck View Post


I've had all these lights on for years and now they need to say DOT on them?

They allowed you to slide for all those years. I hope you gave them a nice hung and thanked them for the long "ride".


But that ride finally came to an end, and they called you out for it. That's their job.
gravitywell likes this.
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1999 Cherokee Limited (w/ Up Country)
1987 Wrangler Laredo
[All custom ordered]
WaltA is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
MeachamBearcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Top of the Blues
Posts: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
My stock headlights have "DOT" on them. That's all that is required for inspection.
One might expect that approval to mean they actually work.
I have trouble believing the stock light are even street legal.
awk34 and DocStarbuck like this.
__________________
15 JKR
AEV SAVEGRE WHEEL 17X8.5 5X5 MATTE BLK
LT275/70R17/6 Hercules Terra Trac AT ll
TERAFLEX CARRIER AND TIRE MOUNT
Rock Hard Aluminum Patriot Full Width front&rear
Warn M8000-S
MeachamBearcat is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 08:30 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
lwclancers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Winchester, VA
Posts: 249
Im also in VA. This is one reason I have held back on new fender flares, cause of the dumb side marker lights/DOT stamped
DocStarbuck likes this.
lwclancers is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
rednroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 3,816
You obviously didn't have your Virginia DOT patch sewn on.
DocStarbuck likes this.
__________________
DIYer mantra: "It doesn't cost that much more to just do it yourself."
rednroll is online now   Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #17
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednroll View Post
You obviously didn't have your Virginia DOT patch sewn on.
Does that patch say spelling incorrect we’re trannies?

.
Old Syko likes this.
m998dna is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:03 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
mcguirev10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Jax FL
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeachamBearcat View Post
If DOT approval means anything how did the stock headlights slip by?
Probably splitting hairs, but there is no such thing as DOT approval. The DOT mark just means they're (supposedly) DOT compliant.

This question blew up into a heated argument on another forum recently about the importance of the DOT marking. The CFR paragraph linked earlier is incorrect (it's for commercial vehicles) but neither the commercial one nor the non-commercial verbiage even mentions a DOT marking on the lights or reflectors. Some actual lighting manufacturers got involved and clarified the mark is purely voluntary. It's the lighting version of putting "100% organic" on every damned thing in the grocery store. It has no "official" definition or meaning whatsoever.

None of which helps the OP with his nanny-state harassment through laws written by the clueless. Getting hard to find a state that doesn't suck. /old
__________________
Live-in mechanic for the wife's 2017 2-door sport with the usual bolt-ons, and Xtreme Purple as far as the eye can see...
mcguirev10 is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:01 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeachamBearcat View Post
One might expect that approval to mean they actually work.
I have trouble believing the stock light are even street legal.
I don't know. We still have the stock headlights and they work fine as long as they are properly aimed. When we lifted we had to re-aim them, but other than that no problems with the stock headlights. Of course, we do live in the sticks and as such our headlight requirements might be different than yours.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #20
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Diamondce3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwclancers View Post
Im also in VA. This is one reason I have held back on new fender flares, cause of the dumb side marker lights/DOT stamped
Also in VA, I said F it and reinstalled factory side markers to just near my fender flares. It says DOT approved, nothing they can do. See profile picture of what I did.
DocStarbuck likes this.
Diamondce3 is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 07:11 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirev10 View Post
Probably splitting hairs, but there is no such thing as DOT approval. The DOT mark just means they're (supposedly) DOT compliant.

This question blew up into a heated argument on another forum recently about the importance of the DOT marking. The CFR paragraph linked earlier is incorrect (it's for commercial vehicles) but neither the commercial one nor the non-commercial verbiage even mentions a DOT marking on the lights or reflectors. Some actual lighting manufacturers got involved and clarified the mark is purely voluntary. It's the lighting version of putting "100% organic" on every damned thing in the grocery store. It has no "official" definition or meaning whatsoever.

None of which helps the OP with his nanny-state harassment through laws written by the clueless. Getting hard to find a state that doesn't suck. /old
Here's a copy of what's being referred to:
§571.108 Standard No. 108; Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment.
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...e49.6.571_1108

Laws regarding safety devices are necessary because humans embrace stupidity with reckless abandon. Stupid acts are okay if you only hurt yourself; that's freedom. But when somebody's stupid act hurts me, that's another story.

What lights/reflectors do you have? Are they compliant? If so, you can get a note from the manufacturer stating their compliance and present it to the inspection station ---- they'll pass you.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
mcguirev10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Jax FL
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Laws regarding safety devices are necessary because humans embrace stupidity with reckless abandon.
And every so often they embrace stupidity so aggressively it becomes codified as law.
__________________
Live-in mechanic for the wife's 2017 2-door sport with the usual bolt-ons, and Xtreme Purple as far as the eye can see...
mcguirev10 is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
Hilldweller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hog Waller, GA
Posts: 8,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirev10 View Post
And every so often they embrace stupidity so aggressively it becomes codified as law.
That's been known to happen....

Thank God they repealed Prohibition.

mcguirev10 likes this.
__________________
Gone camping,
Bill

"Don't it make ya wanna holla'? Don't it make ya wanna pray?
People, don't it make ya wonder what's he gonna say today?"
-- Eric Bibb
#blackwheelsmatter
Hilldweller is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 30
I can tell you a place to go to get it inspected. I am in Front Royal. I have tube fenders on mine with the small marker lights. Had a shop tell me my marker lights were too small. I argued it and asked for a second opinion from VA state police. He came and told the inspector that there isn’t a requirement on size in the VA laws. Now mine did say DOT on them. So he had to pass mine. PM me and I can put you in touch with the right guy if you aren’t to far from me.
awk34 and DocStarbuck like this.
Spankie31 is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:51 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
itsalwayssunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankie31 View Post
I can tell you a place to go to get it inspected. I am in Front Royal. I have tube fenders on mine with the small marker lights. Had a shop tell me my marker lights were too small. I argued it and asked for a second opinion from VA state police. He came and told the inspector that there isn’t a requirement on size in the VA laws. Now mine did say DOT on them. So he had to pass mine. PM me and I can put you in touch with the right guy if you aren’t to far from me.

Many VA inspection stations now log the inspections and rejections electronically. It may even be a requirement for them, I'm not sure. If they rejected it, took your current sticker and logged it, it will probably lock you out of going elsewhere this time. My buddy's shop used to do inspections and he told me about folks that would come in with no sticker (they had removed the rejection) but when his tech would try to enter the VIN, it would lock the vehicle out and require them to go back to the original shop. It sucks. I hope that didn't happen in your case, but wanted to pass the info along in case it helps save you time or helps your decision making.
DocStarbuck likes this.
itsalwayssunny is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:33 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsalwayssunny View Post
Many VA inspection stations now log the inspections and rejections electronically. It may even be a requirement for them, I'm not sure. If they rejected it, took your current sticker and logged it, it will probably lock you out of going elsewhere this time. My buddy's shop used to do inspections and he told me about folks that would come in with no sticker (they had removed the rejection) but when his tech would try to enter the VIN, it would lock the vehicle out and require them to go back to the original shop. It sucks. I hope that didn't happen in your case, but wanted to pass the info along in case it helps save you time or helps your decision making.
Looks like it's time to move to another state. It's going to get ugly there next year anyway, with a certain party projected to take over both chambers in the legislature.
DocStarbuck likes this.
AlaskaErik is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:08 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 30
I have been failed at a Jeep dealer so I fixed the issue and took it elsewhere and had no issues with them passing it. I use to do inspections and to my knowledge they don’t do that now.
DocStarbuck likes this.
Spankie31 is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
rgreen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S. Georgia
Posts: 5,639
I would take them a brand new stock JL and have then look for "DOT" markings.

I just went out and looked at my bone stock (as far as lights) 2017 JKU Chief and there is not a single DOT marking on any of the lights I looked at. No markings of any kind on the factory tail lights. No makings of any kind on the front side makers or on the factory LED head lights. The parking/turn signals have a small logo at the top, but not "DOT" anywhere. (I did not check the CMHSL).

Yet every factory supplied new JK/JKU would have passed.

I do so miss the semi-annual VA safety inspections - NOT. I also miss the required front license plate - NOT. There is a reason the nickname for Virginia on the truckers CB for years was "The Communist State". From what I have heard, Pennsylvania is even worse.

I have now not had a mandatory vehicle inspection in 30 years. In Georgia, if you are stopped, the Trooper/Officer will look over the vehicle, and will stop you if there is a light out. The people in the Atlanta area have an emission inspection, but the rest of the state does not.

In the amost 10 years I was living in Virginia, the only time I was red tagged in an inspection was for slight leak on a muffler on a used pickup I had purchased from an individual.
DocStarbuck likes this.
__________________
2003 Light Khaki TJ Rubicon Soft Top
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara Hard Top - Traded
2017 Chief JKU Chief Hard Top
rgreen65 is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
WaltA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 3rd Planet, Sol system
Posts: 9,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen65 View Post
I
I just went out and looked at my bone stock (as far as lights) 2017 JKU Chief and there is not a single DOT marking on any of the lights I looked at. No markings of any kind on the factory tail lights. No makings of any kind on the front side makers or on the factory LED head lights. The parking/turn signals have a small logo at the top, but not "DOT" anywhere. (I did not check the CMHSL).

This might come down to DOT vs SAE markings.

My factory headlights, taillights, CMHSL, etc, all at least have SAE markings. Ditto for my aftermarket headlights and taillights.

If you have no markings at all, are you sure you have real Jeep? Not one of those clones from China or India?
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1999 Cherokee Limited (w/ Up Country)
1987 Wrangler Laredo
[All custom ordered]
WaltA is offline   Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 230
My advice would be, take 'em off (temporarily) put the factory parts back on and get through inspection then switch them back and take it somewhere else next time it has to go through. Right now with that "on record" no-one will let them go. You gotta clear that off first before going elsewhere.

efarrell4 is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC