What needs to be done to properly run large tires? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 69
What needs to be done to properly run large tires?

I have a 2013 JKU 6 spd with 3.73 gears. This is a daily driver with moderate off road trail riding. I am looking to do some sort of 2-2.5 inch lift, wheels and tires. I'm looking for a decent all terrain tire either (33 or a "small" 35).
And a 16 or 17 inch wheel.
Besides a spare tire mount, what else do I need to take into consideration?
I want to try to keep the weight reasonable.

usmcdevildog is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
damndirtydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Eden Utah
Posts: 2,054
Probably nothing with the manual trans, 3.6 and 3.73 gears should handle 35s comfortably. Might want to sleeve and gussett the front Dana 30 if you wheel hard.
Do the 2.5'' lift min for 35''.
Hard to go wrong with BFG allterrains or GY Duratracs.

damndirtydog is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Supporting Member
 
Daniel_M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Arizoner
Posts: 2,420
Budget?

I would suggest a 2.5” kit from Rock Krawler or Synergy Suspension. Great on road ride and bullet proof components. You can go with 33’s and not fool with your 3.73 but at 35” tires you may consider a new gear ratio.

http://www.rockkrawler.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1838
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/home.php?cat=1443&sort=price&sort_direction=0&show =all

-Dan
Daniel_M is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 69
Budget is around $3500.
usmcdevildog is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
OffRoadCam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdevildog View Post
Budget is around $3500.
For lift, tires, tire carrier, ect? Or is this mainly considering a lift an other aspects to fit the tires an run them properly?
OffRoadCam09 is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 69
Oh that's for everything. I'm not interested in a regear at this point yet.
usmcdevildog is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
OffRoadCam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,338
Ok just wanted to make sure. I would do a setup like the teraflex 2.5" lift paired with rancho or blistein shocks. With either 33 or 35" tires. If you get 33's you won't need a tire carrier just extended bumpstops an if you get 35's I'd suggest the teraflex hinge carried. An with the new engine I doubt you'll need a regear even for 35's. I have 35's with 3.21 gearing an its got plenty of power left
OffRoadCam09 is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
Jeeper

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Moonrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,713
Just finished building one 2 weeks ago, we did 2.5" Rubicon Express lift with monotube shocks and 35" tires on 17" wheels with 4.5" offset. We are happy with the set up. We have 13 JKU Auto with 3.21 gears- plenty of power left. Not planning to regear att all yet. With this set up you are looking to spend $4500. Ive had pros install lift with warranty.
Now doing another one with teraflex 2.5" coils and billstein 5100 shocks with same spec jeep.
Moonrider is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NFRs2000NYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,097
How hard to do you wheel? If you are just doing fire roads and things like that, C gussets and flat fenders are all you need. If you are planning on carnage canyon, well, your budget will increase a bit, and by a bit, I mean a metric ton.

If you insist on a lift, I would recommend the Rancho 3" trail system from Amazon and 9000XL shocks, which will give you a $400 rebate. Total cost of a quality complete lift will be less than $1000. There is nothing close to that bang-for-the-buck, and it is a quality lift.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
m25red's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Posts: 105
I just went with the DD set up which sounds like what you want. I chose AEV Dualsport XT 2.5 and Geometry correction brackets. Also went with 315/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs. These tires measure close to a 34 so a pretty good compromise and they look great and are very quiet. The lift is absolutely better than stock and with a Procal I am actually sitting at about 18.5 mpg's for my daily routine.
I didn't buy this set up to rock crawl as I am nowhere near anything like that. If I did I think Metalcloak or Rock Krawler would be my choice.
One last thing, if you are willing I highly recommend doing the install yourself. I did mine with the help of a friend and I feel like I know so much more about my vehicle than I ever would.
m25red is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:45 AM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 69
Would the 315/70R17 Duratracs require a new spare mount? I've heard they are a pretty heavy tire.
I'm not doing any rock crawling or anything real extreme.
usmcdevildog is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
Jeeper

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Moonrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdevildog View Post
Would the 315/70R17 Duratracs require a new spare mount? I've heard they are a pretty heavy tire.
I'm not doing any rock crawling or anything real extreme.
I have exact this size GY Duratrack with 17 wheels. I kept original tire carrier, only thing i added it is an extension that will help to put thicker tire. That thing cost me $50 which i bought from local 4 wheel parts. It should be fine for a dd and light off road.
Moonrider is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
Rmiller31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdevildog View Post
Would the 315/70R17 Duratracs require a new spare mount? I've heard they are a pretty heavy tire.
I'm not doing any rock crawling or anything real extreme.
You don't have to get a new carrier. Some people run them for years and others have problems in a month. Its just up to you if you want to take the chance or not.

I have heavy tires and just toss my spare in the back when I'm going wheeling. I will get a carrier later but for now just running without one around town.
Rmiller31 is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
MichiganJeepster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 312
I went with the AEV 2.5" Dual Sport lift with geometry correction brackets, Bilstein 5100 shocks and BFG All Terrain TA KO's 315/70/17 on AEV's Pintler wheels in Argent color and their tire carrier to keep the weight off the swing gate hinges. I average 17.5 mpg with the automatic in a 2012 Sport S model JKU. Lift is awesome, better ride and stability than stock, smooth over bumps and daily heaved concrete in roadways. Tires are average at best for winter driving, decent in light trail work, average for mud. Good year Duratracs are better all around tires with exellent snow and ice traction, really blurs the line between mud and all terrain tires. I went with BFG tires because I like the look and only light wheel two tracks up north here in Michigan. Weight of larger tire will damage hinges and welds in the stock swing gate so I would reccommend buying one. AEV's is very high quality and requires re tightening once in awhile due to vibrations of that big tire bouncing around back there. very simple to adjust, one swing operation works in unisome with swing gate. AEV lift allows me to run 85 on the expressway smooth as silk and exit ramps on expressways are a blast as this Jeep handles like a sports car almost. You will avoid alot of problems going with AEV for a light wheeler, they have done their homework.
MichiganJeepster is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
m25red's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrider

I have exact this size GY Duratrack with 17 wheels. I kept original tire carrier, only thing i added it is an extension that will help to put thicker tire. That thing cost me $50 which i bought from local 4 wheel parts. It should be fine for a dd and light off road.
What is this extension you speak of? Pics please.
m25red is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
Jeeper

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Moonrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by m25red View Post

What is this extension you speak of? Pics please.
To be exact its called tire relocation bracket.
Moonrider is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
So it puts a larger, heavier wheel further away from the mounting point? That looks like a recipe for a wrecked tailgate.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
MattK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by woansleftpeg View Post
So it puts a larger, heavier wheel further away from the mounting point? That looks like a recipe for a wrecked tailgate.
Yeah...I thought he was maybe talking about one of those bumpers for the bottom inside of the tire wall to help keep it from shaking.
__________________
2013 Billet JKR
MattK is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:56 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
DC Dennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganJeepster View Post
I went with the AEV 2.5" Dual Sport lift with geometry correction brackets, Bilstein 5100 shocks and BFG All Terrain TA KO's 315/70/17 on AEV's Pintler wheels in Argent color and their tire carrier to keep the weight off the swing gate hinges. I average 17.5 mpg with the automatic in a 2012 Sport S model JKU. Lift is awesome, better ride and stability than stock, smooth over bumps and daily heaved concrete in roadways. Tires are average at best for winter driving, decent in light trail work, average for mud. Good year Duratracs are better all around tires with exellent snow and ice traction, really blurs the line between mud and all terrain tires. I went with BFG tires because I like the look and only light wheel two tracks up north here in Michigan. Weight of larger tire will damage hinges and welds in the stock swing gate so I would reccommend buying one. AEV's is very high quality and requires re tightening once in awhile due to vibrations of that big tire bouncing around back there. very simple to adjust, one swing operation works in unisome with swing gate. AEV lift allows me to run 85 on the expressway smooth as silk and exit ramps on expressways are a blast as this Jeep handles like a sports car almost. You will avoid alot of problems going with AEV for a light wheeler, they have done their homework.
What was your budget for all of the AEV stuff?
DC Dennis is offline   Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
m25red's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by woansleftpeg
So it puts a larger, heavier wheel further away from the mounting point? That looks like a recipe for a wrecked tailgate.
Exactly. I really don't want to add any more stress than needed.
m25red is offline   Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Okanagan BC
Posts: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdevildog View Post
I have a 2013 JKU 6 spd with 3.73 gears. This is a daily driver with moderate off road trail riding. I am looking to do some sort of 2-2.5 inch lift, wheels and tires. I'm looking for a decent all terrain tire either (33 or a "small" 35).
And a 16 or 17 inch wheel.
Besides a spare tire mount, what else do I need to take into consideration?
I want to try to keep the weight reasonable.
Put on a 33" tire done. It will clear. If you want extra clearance then flat fenders. Done.

__________________
08' JKUR auto | traildash | SuperWinchEPi9 | ASFIR bumpers and skids | Xenon Flat Flares | TF 6" lift with monster Panhard bars | 37" GY MTRcK | MT classic II wheels 4.5" bs | Coast drive shafts | RCV front axleshafts | lots of extras
Asphalt Assault is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.