Where to buy OAT AF from - 68163849AA - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-01-2016, 07:53 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 289
Where to buy OAT AF from - 68163849AA

Hello All,
I've read most, if not all the coolant threads on here.. but is there another place to buy it other than the dealer.
Part no: 68163849AA/MS-12106

I can hear a little drip behind the dash and checked my coolant. It is below the MIN line on my 2013 JK in the fill bottle and it is cold here in the north east. It looks purple in color.

I'm thinking of drawing a little coolant out and mixing it with the one I buy just to make sure it does not sludge. What do you think?
Thanks!

bluehash is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
jeepers29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 6,003
I do believe it is only available from the dealer. My tank has lines all the way down it, tracking loss of coolant.

__________________
98 TJ 4i in currie with Currie bars front and rear
2014 JKUR AMP"D,Ace slider,BFG AT/KO's 33's
Ace Tire carrier/ rear bumper,LOD Mid width front bumper

I love my country. That's why I despise the government.
jeepers29 is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Off Pavement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Silver State
Posts: 1,491
I buy the concentrated Mopar juice on Ebay.

I don't like your mixing experiment idea... no heat and pressure involved.
__________________
Brian - ACØUS
Please Support Multiple Use Of Our Public Lands
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved
Off Pavement is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-01-2016, 09:35 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
I do believe it is only available from the dealer. My tank has lines all the way down it, tracking loss of coolant.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Pavement View Post
I buy the concentrated Mopar juice on Ebay.
I don't like your mixing experiment idea... no heat and pressure involved.
True.
bluehash is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:43 AM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehash View Post
Hello All,
I've read most, if not all the coolant threads on here.. but is there another place to buy it other than the dealer.
Part no: 68163849AA/MS-12106

I can hear a little drip behind the dash and checked my coolant. It is below the MIN line on my 2013 JK in the fill bottle and it is cold here in the north east. It looks purple in color.

I'm thinking of drawing a little coolant out and mixing it with the one I buy just to make sure it does not sludge. What do you think?
Thanks!
Amazon.com: 68163849AA

.
__________________
10A
m998dna is online now   Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 6,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehash View Post
Hello All,
I've read most, if not all the coolant threads on here.. but is there another place to buy it other than the dealer.
Part no: 68163849AA/MS-12106
It is on Amazon for $24 with free shipping and no sales tax.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
kik
Jeeper
 
kik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,968
Wherever you get it just use "Mopar" OAT.
kik is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 289
That's it. Thank you all!
bluehash is offline   Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:55 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Northern California
Posts: 456
Another plug for Amazon prime...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PLY38R2

That is where I ordered mine. I think my link is for the concentrate. I just picked up the distilled water at the super market.
PetrichorJeep is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 05:07 AM   #10
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,624
Any idea where to buy the coolant that meets this spec? FCA Material Standard MS.90032.
demarpaint is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:30 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
I got shipped the wrong one. They sent me an AB, instead of AA... Does anyone know the difference?
bluehash is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 6,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehash View Post
I got shipped the wrong one. They sent me an AB, instead of AA... Does anyone know the difference?
A quick Google search tells me that the AB version is premixed.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 448
The change from AA to AB could be as simple as a new supplier or a label change on the bottle. It is the same product.
blankster is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:54 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 448
They are both premixed.
blankster is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 6,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankster View Post
They are both premixed.
If that's the case, there's a BIG difference in price on Amazon. A gallon of the AA costs $24 and a gallon of AB costs $13.40. The AB says that it is premixed, the AA does not.

68163849AA

68163849AB
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:00 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 448
I have an empty bottle of AA in the garbage it says premixed. My guess is AA is no longer available. The dealer just topped my 2014 with AB per the ticket.
blankster is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:06 PM   #17
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 6,891
Ok, I just went out and looked at the unopened gallon of OAT concentrate I have in the garage. The part # is 68163848AA.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 448
The warning label changed from AA to AB based on the AB picture vs my empty AA bottle.
blankster is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #19
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankster View Post
The warning label changed from AA to AB based on the AB picture vs my empty AA bottle.
OK ... you just stumbled upon the world in which I earn my living - global product documentation and labeling compliance.

The deadline to implement Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS) was on June 1 2015. As a result all products that contain hazardous chemicals and components are required to meet the GHS requirements.

About the GHS - Transport - UNECE

https://www.osha.gov/dsg/hazcom/global.html

This was a huge project at my company - we manufacture instruments and reagents.

What you are seeing is the labeling change to the next revision with the new hazard classification and labeling requirements.

.
__________________
10A
m998dna is online now   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:51 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 448
AA which I bought in 2014 does not indicate consumption hazard, AB does.
blankster is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Thread Starter
  #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 289
But can the AA and AB be mixed?. My 2013 probably had AA in it.
bluehash is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:22 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 448
Same stuff just a different label. My 2014 had AA and the dealer topped it off with AB.
blankster is offline   Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Thread Starter
  #23
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by m998dna View Post
OK ... you just stumbled upon the world in which I earn my living - global product documentation and labeling compliance.

The deadline to implement Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS) was on June 1 2015. As a result all products that contain hazardous chemicals and components are required to meet the GHS requirements.

About the GHS - Transport - UNECE

https://www.osha.gov/dsg/hazcom/global.html

This was a huge project at my company - we manufacture instruments and reagents.

What you are seeing is the labeling change to the next revision with the new hazard classification and labeling requirements.

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankster View Post
Same stuff just a different label. My 2014 had AA and the dealer topped it off with AB.
Ok. Thanks all. Looks like it is ok to top my AA with AB.
bluehash is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 289
So I pulled some coolant from the reservoir. The one from the JK(2013) is orange and the one from the one from the purchased bottle is distinctly purple. Pic is attached.

I'm really not sure if it is ok to top withvte one I just purchased. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20160312_12_24_29_Pro_LI.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	2884761  
bluehash is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Near Chicago
Posts: 448
Check your owners manual. I thought it changed for MY 2014 to OAT.
blankster is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #26
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
m998dna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehash View Post
So I pulled some coolant from the reservoir. The one from the JK(2013) is orange and the one from the one from the purchased bottle is distinctly purple. Pic is attached.

I'm really not sure if it is ok to top withvte one I just purchased. Any thoughts?
Don't worry about the color.. this is what baked purple OAT looks like at 7,000 miles (sample taken on the left). They drop Mopar stop leak tablets in the reservoir at the factory..

The stop leak in there changes purple to a burnt red.. you can see the stop leak settle in the tank after it sits for a few hours. When you shake the tank the stop leak suspends itself in the coolant.. you can't even see it until it settles.

They started using OAT in 2013.

.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	2885521  
n3tfury likes this.
__________________
10A
m998dna is online now   Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:27 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
It is on Amazon for $24 with free shipping and no sales tax.
I got it at the dealer for less than that. Since all MOPAR now use OAT, you can get it at any MOPAR dealer. My dealer didn't have 50/50, so I got it at the Dodge dealer. If the Jeep dealer would have had it in stock, it was almost $10 higher than the Dodge dealer. Be advised that the last two of the part number are now AB, not AA. 48AB is concentrate, 49AB is 50/50. No mention of the OP's year model, but OAT is for 2013 and later, although there has been much discussion as to when the change was made. Some claim all 2013 models are OAT, others claim that only 2013 models built after the Christmas shutdown are OAT. I have a 2015, so I'm not concerned about mine.
AlaskaErik is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehash View Post
I got shipped the wrong one. They sent me an AB, instead of AA... Does anyone know the difference?
AB has superceded AA. It is the most current version of OAT, so you are good to go.
AlaskaErik is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
A quick Google search tells me that the AB version is premixed.
That is not quite correct. 48AB is concentrate, 49AB is 50/50. AA has been superceded by AB. There may be some AA floating around, but it is OAT and can be used. Most likely you will be getting AB from Amazon, even if the description lists it as AA.
AlaskaErik is offline   Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluehash View Post
So I pulled some coolant from the reservoir. The one from the JK(2013) is orange and the one from the one from the purchased bottle is distinctly purple. Pic is attached.

I'm really not sure if it is ok to top withvte one I just purchased. Any thoughts?
Better hope someone didn't top you off with HOAT. Otherwise, you are in for some expensive repairs. Mixing the two will cause it to gel up. HOAT and OAT are totally incompatible.

AlaskaErik is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.