Wobble after tire rotation - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-16-2019, 07:45 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 221
Wobble after tire rotation

I do the five wheel rotation, and after doing one a few days ago I am now getting a bit of steering wheel wobble after going over bumps like railroad tracks, etc. It wasn’t there before. Everything is torqued and looks fine. Could it have something to do with crossing passenger to driver side?

__________________
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
T Man is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Frydaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Fires of Hell, AZ
Posts: 383
Send a message via ICQ to Frydaddy
Sounds like they need balanced again. That, or check for play in the steering, all joints and bearings on the front axle.

__________________
__________________
Ever growing compendium of Tips, Tricks and References all in one place.
(with a smattering of XJ and Willys CJ-2A too)
Bookmark the Imgur album, and always be ready for the next "Wrenching Party"
Frydaddy is offline   Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 13
Could be early stages of death wobble, how many miles are on your Jeep?
Skysoldier91 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-17-2019, 07:49 AM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skysoldier91 View Post
Could be early stages of death wobble, how many miles are on your Jeep?
I only have 25000 miles on it, what should I be looking for? It just seems too coincidental that it happened right after a wheel rotation.
__________________
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
T Man is offline   Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,113
If you let it go too long between rotating the tires it can be a little funny. Usually it is just a matter of letting it wear in. But also make sure that everything is tight. If you have wheel spacers you should be making sure they are tight when you rotate the tires.
But it also may be the ball joints, track bar bushings, and / or steering linkages are starting to show signs of wear and play. Something like rotating tires might merely be the trigger to make those issues apparent.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man View Post
I do the five wheel rotation, and after doing one a few days ago I am now getting a bit of steering wheel wobble after going over bumps like railroad tracks, etc. It wasn’t there before. Everything is torqued and looks fine. Could it have something to do with crossing passenger to driver side?
You should not be crossing the passenger side tires to the driver's side on the front. Rears moving to the front should always stay on the same side. Moving the right front to the left rear won't cause steering wheel wobble. If you didn't do it like shown in the diagram then I wouldn't be surprised to feel a little wobble. How many miles since you last rotated, and did you do a 5 tire the last time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5 tire.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	4150813  
RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:21 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Clear Spring, Md
Posts: 3,113
The standard 5 tire rotation takes one tire from the passenger side, the right front, and puts it on the drivers side in the left rear position.
That is what I do, and it should not in and of itself cause a problem.
GuzziMoto is offline   Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Wanted33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Down south in Dixie
Posts: 105
Like others have suggested it's probably the tires, and the way they have worn. One way to find out is put 'em back where they were, and see if that changes anything. Good luck, I hope it's something simple.

I test drove a '14 Sahara, and that thing pitched and yawed all over the place. When I looked at the tires I knew why. The AT's on it had worn badly.
__________________
Jim

"Better tried by twelve than carried by six"
Wanted33 is offline   Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:52 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoSportJKU View Post
You should not be crossing the passenger side tires to the driver's side on the front. Rears moving to the front should always stay on the same side. Moving the right front to the left rear won't cause steering wheel wobble. If you didn't do it like shown in the diagram then I wouldn't be surprised to feel a little wobble. How many miles since you last rotated, and did you do a 5 tire the last time?

Since new I have done the rotation exactly as shown in the picture you posted. I have 24,000 miles on now and have had the jeep almost a year, I've rotated twice since it was new. I will check front end parts for wear, but again it just seems too coincidental that it happened right after a rotation. I have a 3" BDS lift and 1.5 inch spidertrax wheel spacers with 33 inch tires on factory wheels. Like another posted, I'll drive it a bit and see if it goes away with the tires in the new positions. The technician at the dealer told me you can get wobble if swapping wheels side to side, but like you said if the passenger front is going to the driver's rear that shouldn't be a problem.
__________________
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
T Man is offline   Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
rgreen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S. Georgia
Posts: 5,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoSportJKU View Post
You should not be crossing the passenger side tires to the driver's side on the front. Rears moving to the front should always stay on the same side. Moving the right front to the left rear won't cause steering wheel wobble. If you didn't do it like shown in the diagram then I wouldn't be surprised to feel a little wobble. How many miles since you last rotated, and did you do a 5 tire the last time?

I disagree. One of the classic four tire rotations is the X pattern reversing the rotation of every tire. I use a custom 5 tire based on the X pattern but including the spare and have ever since I got back into Jeeps. Never had a wobble or shimmy from the rotation. My rotation is Spare to Rt Rear, Rt Rear to L Front, L Front to Rt Front, Rt Front to L Rear and L Rear to Spare.

The reversing tends to even out the feathering wear on the front edge of the tread blocks. I learned this from a very knowledgeable tire guy about 35 years ago. I had an XJ and the four tire rotation that a former tire shop did was simply going from front to back. It almost ruined the tires the feathering was so bad. Since the tire rotation that had just been done was front to back, we swapped them from side to side. It took about 500 miles of wear before the feathering on the tread blocks had worn down enough that it was no longer noticeable.

The more aggressive the tread pattern the more often you should rotate. Mild treads like the GY SRA and some mild ATs do fine being rotated every 5,000 miles. More aggressive styles like the BFT MTs that came on the JK Rubicons (and my Chief) should be done every 3,000 miles. There is a post on here somewhere from about 3 years back of a member with a Rubicon with about 8,000 miles on it and the tires were in such bad shape, he actually had lugs fracturing and coming off - he had never rotated his tires.

The AT tires I had on my TJ were done with a 4 tire rotation in the classic X style because the spare was not the same style (same size) and had some bad wear on it from the PO. My 2015 Sahara was rotated every 5,000 miles using my pattern and good even wear when it was traded in on the Chief with 20,000 miles on the odometer. The BFG MTs on the Chief have worn evenly over the 14,000 miles on it.

OP - if you have just done two rotations and have 25,000 miles on them you are not rotating often enough. You should just now be doing your 5th rotation, unless you have Mud Terrains, then you should have done 8 rotation. Remember rotating them too often will not hurt, rotating them not often enough, will.

If that were my Jeep, the first thing I would do is take the Jeep to my tire dealer and have all 5 tires balanced (with road force) and see if that cured the issue and have them inspected by the technician while there were there. It wouldn't hurt to double check the torque on the track bar bolts. I hit a chuck hole in my TJ a little over a year ago with the previous tires. When I got back up on the highway, I had a speed sensitive wobble. I took it into my tire dealer the next day at noon and had all 4 balanced, and they were all off, 3 just a little and 1 had shed one of the stick on weights (Rubicon Moab II wheels have to have stick on weights).
__________________
2003 Light Khaki TJ Rubicon Soft Top
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara Hard Top - Traded
2017 Chief JKU Chief Hard Top
rgreen65 is offline   Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
Grooving With A Pict

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
RhinoSportJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 2,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen65 View Post
I disagree. One of the classic four tire rotations is the X pattern reversing the rotation of every tire. I use a custom 5 tire based on the X pattern but including the spare and have ever since I got back into Jeeps. Never had a wobble or shimmy from the rotation. My rotation is Spare to Rt Rear, Rt Rear to L Front, L Front to Rt Front, Rt Front to L Rear and L Rear to Spare.

The reversing tends to even out the feathering wear on the front edge of the tread blocks. I learned this from a very knowledgeable tire guy about 35 years ago. I had an XJ and the four tire rotation that a former tire shop did was simply going from front to back. It almost ruined the tires the feathering was so bad. Since the tire rotation that had just been done was front to back, we swapped them from side to side. It took about 500 miles of wear before the feathering on the tread blocks had worn down enough that it was no longer noticeable.

The more aggressive the tread pattern the more often you should rotate. Mild treads like the GY SRA and some mild ATs do fine being rotated every 5,000 miles. More aggressive styles like the BFT MTs that came on the JK Rubicons (and my Chief) should be done every 3,000 miles. There is a post on here somewhere from about 3 years back of a member with a Rubicon with about 8,000 miles on it and the tires were in such bad shape, he actually had lugs fracturing and coming off - he had never rotated his tires.

The AT tires I had on my TJ were done with a 4 tire rotation in the classic X style because the spare was not the same style (same size) and had some bad wear on it from the PO. My 2015 Sahara was rotated every 5,000 miles using my pattern and good even wear when it was traded in on the Chief with 20,000 miles on the odometer. The BFG MTs on the Chief have worn evenly over the 14,000 miles on it.

OP - if you have just done two rotations and have 25,000 miles on them you are not rotating often enough. You should just now be doing your 5th rotation, unless you have Mud Terrains, then you should have done 8 rotation. Remember rotating them too often will not hurt, rotating them not often enough, will.

If that were my Jeep, the first thing I would do is take the Jeep to my tire dealer and have all 5 tires balanced (with road force) and see if that cured the issue and have them inspected by the technician while there were there. It wouldn't hurt to double check the torque on the track bar bolts. I hit a chuck hole in my TJ a little over a year ago with the previous tires. When I got back up on the highway, I had a speed sensitive wobble. I took it into my tire dealer the next day at noon and had all 4 balanced, and they were all off, 3 just a little and 1 had shed one of the stick on weights (Rubicon Moab II wheels have to have stick on weights).
Feel free to be wrong.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...tion-patterns#
RhinoSportJKU is offline   Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
rgreen65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S. Georgia
Posts: 5,605
If you say so. All I know is that I have even tire wear with no significant feathering of tires. It is simply a modification of the four way cross. I have done the four way cross on my vehicles for over 30 years and the modified 5 tire rotation on Jeeps recently. The tires wear smoothly and evenly. If I were so wrong, I would have had tire issues somewhere along the way. The last time I had a serious tire issue (blowout) was on a car I got from my father when I went back to graduate school in 1975.

Since my tires wear so evenly, I guess I'll just keep on being wrong.
__________________
2003 Light Khaki TJ Rubicon Soft Top
2015 Anvil JKU Sahara Hard Top - Traded
2017 Chief JKU Chief Hard Top
rgreen65 is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:20 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
rdg04578's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: northern maine
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgreen65 View Post
If you say so. All I know is that I have even tire wear with no significant feathering of tires. It is simply a modification of the four way cross. I have done the four way cross on my vehicles for over 30 years and the modified 5 tire rotation on Jeeps recently. The tires wear smoothly and evenly. If I were so wrong, I would have had tire issues somewhere along the way. The last time I had a serious tire issue (blowout) was on a car I got from my father when I went back to graduate school in 1975.

Since my tires wear so evenly, I guess I'll just keep on being wrong.

Rotating the tires is what is important-- and right or wrong is not the issue. If it works great but the only issue I see is that the front tires generally show the most wear so there is a chance that those front tires could show increased wear since you do not use the standard front to back as was laid out above. 10,000 miles in a row is along time for any tire to be in the front. It could lead to increased wear on the edges from turning. Sounds like in you case it has not so if it works great.
rdg04578 is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:21 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Columbus, OHIO
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
If you let it go too long between rotating the tires it can be a little funny. Usually it is just a matter of letting it wear in. But also make sure that everything is tight. If you have wheel spacers you should be making sure they are tight when you rotate the tires.
But it also may be the ball joints, track bar bushings, and / or steering linkages are starting to show signs of wear and play. Something like rotating tires might merely be the trigger to make those issues apparent.
This^^^^. I usually experience the shake in the frame when rotating in a fifth wheel that is new. But once it wears a bit the shake calms down. But I have no steering wheel shake. Mine is in the frame. If it’s in the steering wheel, then it’s more of a balancing issue.
bgriff008 is offline   Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:59 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Main Line Willys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wayne, PA
Posts: 1,152
My most recent 5 tire rotation resulted in a load and rough ride for a couple hundred miles until things smoothed back out. BFG muds rotating every 5k.

__________________
Ben ~Currently in the stable
2018 JKU Willys W Gobi 6spd
2018 WK2 High Altitude Bright White 3.0 Diesel
2014 JKU Sport S Anvil
2004 TJ Rubicon Light Khaki
2002 Ford F350 7.3 SCSB 4x4
Main Line Willys is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tire noise after 5 tire rotation... DocPhil JK Tech Forum 9 05-09-2018 11:17 AM
4 tire rotation vs 5 tire rotation rctoyguy JK Tech Forum 48 03-15-2017 12:22 PM
Wobble wobble wobble wobbling wobble wobble wobbling wobble wobble wobbling wobble BigCalhoun TJ Tech Forum 13 03-24-2016 05:02 PM
Tire rotation vs axle rotation Parsonsm TJ Tech Forum 5 03-27-2014 07:41 AM
Low Tire Pressure Warning After Tire Rotation JeffC JK General Discussion Forum 14 01-27-2013 07:21 PM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC