2" Lift kit and flares? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ironhead Jed
  • 1 Post By Ironhead Jed
  • 1 Post By Macarena Man
  • 1 Post By WesttownWilly
  • 1 Post By WesttownWilly
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-11-2020, 09:00 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
2" Lift kit and flares?

Currently have a 1.25" body lift and the zone 1.75" spacers on my 2004 TJ.

I want to get rid of the spacers and replace them with a proper suspension lift. I like the height of my ride, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend an affordable 2" suspension lift?

Worse case scenario, I can always go with the zone 3" lift kit, but like I said, ideally I'd like to keep the same height as my current ride.

Also, while I'm at it, anybody can suggest some affordable aftermarket flares that they like?

The Jeep is 16 yrs old and I'm trying to spruce it up a bit, but not trying to break the bank.
Thanks.

mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 164
Are you going just for looks or off-road functionality?

Captain Phoenix is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:02 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Phoenix View Post
Are you going just for looks or off-road functionality?

Mainly cosmetic reasons
mav031 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2020, 10:19 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Gottagofast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8,699
Why not keep the spacers then?
__________________
I come in peace.... I mean you no harm
Currently in the stable: ... 97 tj 4.0 5 speed stock....04 tj 4.0 auto 4" and 33's... 98 tj roller for future build... 94 yj sahara 4.5" RE and 33's... 92 yj sbc 3/4 ton axles and 38's... Cj5,7,yj,xj,ex mud dragster project

TJ dash speakers that actually rock! Kicker sub and amp in center console
Gottagofast is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:27 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
Why not keep the spacers then?
Was thinking that the coils are old and could use replacing. Not many on here recommend spacers to begin with.

Also, the Jeep is sinking in the font. There's a noticeable downward angle now from the rear of the jeep frontward.
mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:30 PM   #6
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,342
BDS 2" coils and Rancho 5000x shocks
Ironhead Jed is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:12 AM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Ok just for clarification...

Do I only need the coils and shocks?


Cause there are some kits that include the coils/shocks + extras (lower links, track bar brackets, transfer case lowering brackets, etc...)


https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugge...unlimited.html
mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:53 AM   #8
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,342
the control arms in that link are a downgrade from OEM.
dropping the TC shouldnt be necessary at 2" and if it is, you can lower it down a small amount with washers. another option is to add a motor mount lift to lesson the stress on the rear driveshaft u joints,but as previously stated, it shouldnt be necessary.

any vibes in your jeep now? 2" coils will only raise it .25"

Personally, I'd go with 2" coils, shocks, OME rear track bar relocation bracket(~$20) and the appropriate bump stop extensions. the front axle will be off center by ~3/16" and if your OCD can't allow that, it can be centered by drilling a new track bar mount hole on the axle side bracket or going with an MC or JKS adj front track bar
Ironhead Jed is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:46 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Gottagofast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8,699
Measure the length of the coils w the weight of the jeep sitting on them... that will tell you if they need replaced... they probably don't.... tj's had a rake from the factory... you certainly could replace springs or you could simply get taller spacers for the front...
__________________
I come in peace.... I mean you no harm
Currently in the stable: ... 97 tj 4.0 5 speed stock....04 tj 4.0 auto 4" and 33's... 98 tj roller for future build... 94 yj sahara 4.5" RE and 33's... 92 yj sbc 3/4 ton axles and 38's... Cj5,7,yj,xj,ex mud dragster project

TJ dash speakers that actually rock! Kicker sub and amp in center console
Gottagofast is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:49 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
Measure the length of the coils w the weight of the jeep sitting on them... that will tell you if they need replaced... they probably don't.... tj's had a rake from the factory... you certainly could replace springs or you could simply get taller spacers for the front...

Coils measure abt 11".
Do you know what they would measure on a 2-2.5" lift?
mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:00 PM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Pics of the front coil + spacer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	4195525   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	4195527  

mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:17 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed View Post
any vibes in your jeep now? 2" coils will only raise it .25"

Personally, I'd go with 2" coils, shocks, OME rear track bar relocation bracket(~$20) and the appropriate bump stop extensions. the front axle will be off center by ~3/16" and if your OCD can't allow that, it can be centered by drilling a new track bar mount hole on the axle side bracket or going with an MC or JKS adj front track bar

My Jeep does vibrate a little now, mostly when I accelerate (not sure if that is related).

So if I got this 2.5" coil/shock kit:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/rough...on-tj-655.html

I would also need to get?
https://www.extremeterrain.com/rugge...j-1830501.html


And I could probably use the same bump stops from my 1.75" spacer kit?
mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:54 AM   #13
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,342
do you value ride quality? rough country has a reputation of riding rough

and no, the bump stop extensions for one shock probably wont work with a different sized shock.

from the factory the front coils were 12" tall and rears were 8" tall with the tires on the ground. looks like yours have sagged ~1".

I'd recommend 2" BDS springs - there site isnt the easiest for sharing links but you can click the following link then hit the jeep tab, then accessories, then coil springs and you'll see the applications for TJ's. they run ~115 per pair and are guaranteed not to sag.
I've been running BDS springs for ~7 years and the highly regarded zone combo lift also uses BDS coils. Tab Universal | BDS Suspension

Rancho 5000x shocks front and rear

and an OME rear track bar relocation bracket

I like these bumpstops as they are bolted to the lower pad to help reduce spring interference, they can be cut to the exact length needed, and they are cheap
il buono likes this.
Ironhead Jed is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:06 AM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed View Post
do you value ride quality? rough country has a reputation of riding rough

and no, the bump stop extensions for one shock probably wont work with a different sized shock.

from the factory the front coils were 12" tall and rears were 8" tall with the tires on the ground. looks like yours have sagged ~1".

I'd recommend 2" BDS springs - there site isnt the easiest for sharing links but you can click the following link then hit the jeep tab, then accessories, then coil springs and you'll see the applications for TJ's. they run ~115 per pair and are guaranteed not to sag.
I've been running BDS springs for ~7 years and the highly regarded zone combo lift also uses BDS coils. Tab Universal | BDS Suspension

Rancho 5000x shocks front and rear

and an OME rear track bar relocation bracket

I like these bumpstops as they are bolted to the lower pad to help reduce spring interference, they can be cut to the exact length needed, and they are cheap
Ok great. Those coils seem good. You're happy with the ride of them?

My current bump stops and shocks are from Zone and designed for the 1.75" spacer kit. So 2" coils should theoretically work?

My bump stops are 2" wide and my shocks are 14" - I've only used them for 3 yrs/20k miles, so they are fairly new (not trying to be cheap just don't want to waste money).
How long do shocks last?

Lastly, I'm debating if I should get a new adj track bar... I found one that is relatively affordable. But the price of all this is slowly starting to add up.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/rough-country/front-adjustable-track-bar-jeep-cherokee-xj-wrangler-tj-7572
mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #15
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,342
ride is much more due to shocks and tir pressure where springs set the ride height for the most part. I've had them on my rubi with or without the hardtop, spare tire, and winch and the only major change I could tell was the front end went down ~.75" when I added the winch. swapped in 3" front coils and its back to about what the factory rake was.

sounds like you're in a good spot to swap the spacers for coils and all you'll have to worry about is centering the axles.

unless they have changed the design the RC track bar requires 3" of bumpstop extension and the axle needs to be moved forward 3/4" in order to not cause interference.

thats why the Metal Cloak, JKS, and Currie track bars are recommended so often, they are the only ones that have been proven to fit properly around the diff and steering components.

that being said, the only thing you're gaining is the axle being centered vs it being off to the driver side by ~.25"

it should be roughly the same as it is now with the spacers, maybe another 1/16" over
Ironhead Jed is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:22 PM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed View Post
unless they have changed the design the RC track bar requires 3" of bumpstop extension and the axle needs to be moved forward 3/4" in order to not cause interference.

thats why the Metal Cloak, JKS, and Currie track bars are recommended so often, they are the only ones that have been proven to fit properly around the diff and steering components.

that being said, the only thing you're gaining is the axle being centered vs it being off to the driver side by ~.25"

it should be roughly the same as it is now with the spacers, maybe another 1/16" over

So I need to decide if replacing the track bar is worth it.

After I put on 33" tires, my jeep has been pulling right slightly. Had to get new tie rods installed, but mechanic told me eventually I am going to need a new track bar. I just didn't know how much of a difference it was going to make.
mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:25 PM
Thread Starter
  #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed View Post
any vibes in your jeep now? 2" coils will only raise it .25"
You are referring to the overall height of the lift?

Currently, my stock coils plus the 1.75" spacers together = 13"

The new 2" coils should measure 14", correct? So after this change I should gain another 1" of lift.
mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #18
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav031 View Post
So I need to decide if replacing the track bar is worth it.

After I put on 33" tires, my jeep has been pulling right slightly. Had to get new tie rods installed, but mechanic told me eventually I am going to need a new track bar. I just didn't know how much of a difference it was going to make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav031 View Post
You are referring to the overall height of the lift?

Currently, my stock coils plus the 1.75" spacers together = 13"

The new 2" coils should measure 14", correct? So after this change I should gain another 1" of lift.
having the axle off center will not prevent a proper alignment and with a 2" lift it will be a tiny bit off center.

correct, due to spring sag on your 16 year old springs you will gain ~1" when swapping out your current setup for 2" coils.

didnt notice the flare question in your first post. as long as they're in decent condition you can spray them with krylon fusion flat black and they will look like new again and last for years
mav031 likes this.
Ironhead Jed is offline   Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Macarena Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed View Post
BDS 2" coils and Rancho 5000x shocks
Have an '04 also . . . 2" BDS springs & shocks. Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers. 32" Mud Terrains on OEM 'Ravine' alloys, with OEM Rubicon flares.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1666.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	4195867   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1668.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	4195869  

mav031 likes this.
Macarena Man is offline   Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:08 PM
Thread Starter
  #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Regarding the BDS coils. The 3" coils are the same price as the 2" coils.

*IF* I decided to go with the 3" coils instead, what added parts am I going to need?

As a reference the zone 3" kit comes with:
  • (2) Front springs
  • (2) Rear springs
  • (2) Front shocks
  • (2) Rear shocks
  • (2) Front sway bar links
  • (2) Rear sway bar links
  • (4) Bump stop extensions
  • (2) Rear track bar relocation bracket
  • (1) Transfer case drop kit

I already have the shocks/bump stops from Zone that match the 3" kit.

So... if I went with the 3" coils (instead of 2") I would then have to buy:
(according to the list above)
-new sway bar links?
-new transfer case drop kit?

Sorry I know I'm opening up a can of worms here.
mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:36 AM
Thread Starter
  #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed View Post
ride is much more due to shocks and tir pressure where springs set the ride height for the most part. I've had them on my rubi with or without the hardtop, spare tire, and winch and the only major change I could tell was the front end went down ~.75" when I added the winch. swapped in 3" front coils and its back to about what the factory rake was.

Not sure if anyone still checking this thread...

Ordering the 2" BDS springs like suggested.

Do you think I'll still get a rake/dip in the front? Or will the new springs make up that 1" of sag from my old ones?

If so, I'd have to add these as well, correct? I just don't want the front end sitting higher than the rear.
Zone Offroad .75" Coil Spring Spacers J2100
mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 07:18 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
WesttownWilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 556
if you're putting new 2 inch coils in the front and rear then yes, you will still get the rake. If you want to eliminate it for a level appearance you will have to lift the front more than the rear. You can do that by adding spacers up front or you can buy a 3 inch spring for the front and 2 inch for the rear. Barring any other factors (heavy aftermarket parts you've added to the front like bumpers, winches...) that should result in a level appearance.
Ironhead Jed likes this.
__________________
it's not that I'm lazy, it's that i just don't care
WesttownWilly is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 08:47 AM   #23
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Westchester, IL
Posts: 6,342
^^^ yep.

your OEM configuration will affect it some as well. hard top, rear seat, and spare tire will lower the back some compared to soft or no top, no rear seat, and no spare or some variation of said components. just like a winch will lower the front.
Ironhead Jed is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
WesttownWilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead Jed View Post
^^^ yep.

your OEM configuration will affect it some as well. hard top, rear seat, and spare tire will lower the back some compared to soft or no top, no rear seat, and no spare or some variation of said components. just like a winch will lower the front.
Indeed, something that's not often mentioned with all the attention going to the front. The weight in the rear can greatly impact levelness.

Just last week after years with 3 inch coils all around & a 1.25 spacer up front which gave me a level rig, I pulled the spacers from the front & swapped in 2 inch coils in the rear. Even with 3/2 it still has a bit of rake, but, it's natural sitting condition is empty in the rear, no seat, plastic toolbox which is empty until I head off road, no spare, and a nearly empty gas tank. Once I put my tools & recovery bag in the back, add the spare & fill the tank it adds about 300lbs to the rear which drops it nicely.

All of these factors also affect pinion angle, for the same reason.

My TJ is a weekend toy, either I'm driving around country roads empty in back or I'm in the mountains fully loaded. As a result pinion angle suffers one way or another. I've got it dialed in to be perfect when loaded because those offroad trips are far more involved in terms of time & miles, typically around 175 miles per day, whereas the street driving rarely exceeds 30ish in any given day.

here's what 3 inch front coils & 2 inch rear coils looks like with zero weight in the rear. Up front is a stubby & a winch plus a few skids that pull the front down:

Edit: by the way they're 33 inch KM3s which actually measure more like 32s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3232.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	226.5 KB
ID:	4198227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3229.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	4198229  

Ironhead Jed likes this.
__________________
it's not that I'm lazy, it's that i just don't care
WesttownWilly is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Thread Starter
  #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 135
Fair enough. Appreciate the feedback.

From all the research I've been doing (threads and phone calls to Zone/4wp), my current shocks are too short for 3" coils (13.9" vs 14.7"). It was recommended to me to not go that high.

So, unless someone tells me otherwise, I'll have to go with the .75 spacers. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Setup:
Rear: Hard top, no back bench, small 31" spare.
Front: No winch. No heavy bumper.
(Always assumed my front end dipped due to the weight of the engine).
mav031 is offline   Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:53 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Gottagofast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 8,699
If ur shocks are an inch too short for 3" springs then they're 3/4 too short for 2" plus 3/4"....

I suggest you just put the springs on for now and THEN decide if you need to change it up

__________________
I come in peace.... I mean you no harm
Currently in the stable: ... 97 tj 4.0 5 speed stock....04 tj 4.0 auto 4" and 33's... 98 tj roller for future build... 94 yj sahara 4.5" RE and 33's... 92 yj sbc 3/4 ton axles and 38's... Cj5,7,yj,xj,ex mud dragster project

TJ dash speakers that actually rock! Kicker sub and amp in center console
Gottagofast is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.