Getting difficult to push clutch pedal down, HELP - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Getting difficult to push clutch pedal down, HELP

Hi,

I recently had my clutch replace *again* with a brand new factory flywheel and Luk RepSet clutch. I noticed my engagement returned back to original factory behavior. I also noticed during the first 5 days, my clutch pedal was easy to push in again. So easy, that driving in rush hour stop & go traffic was no problem.

It's now been about a week and my clutch pedal has become much more difficult to push down again. I was very unhappy shifting in some traffic yesterday mainly because the pedal required so much force to push down.

Does anyone know whats going on here? Is there something my mechanic is doing wrong or missing? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

atod is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Florida--Used to be Central IL
Posts: 201
Did they replace any of the hydraulic system? It might just need to have a loose line tightened then bled, or one of the cylinders could be going bad.

QADaemon is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by QADaemon View Post
Did they replace any of the hydraulic system? It might just need to have a loose line tightened then bled, or one of the cylinders could be going bad.
No they didn't. I can't see how the master or slave would go in the period of 7 days. When I drove the car from the mechanic the pedal went down smooth and easy. Now it's a bit more difficult to push in.
atod is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
wirejock's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 175
Take it back.
wirejock is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirejock View Post
Take it back.
I did and they said it was fine. I'm absolutely sure this is not how a new clutch pedal should behave. I purchased this Jeep new and would never have spent that amount of money for a clutch pedal that is a gym leg press. Something is wrong.

What is interesting is the pedal was great the first 5 days I received the car back (after new clutch). Now it's stiff. I doubt the master or slave cylindar would go in that time frame and if they did, would I have a spongy clutch pedal action?

I'm wondering if this is something with the actual linkage or perhaps something is up with where the throwout bearing engages the pressure plate?

Very surprised there haven't been many comments on this topic.
atod is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Do you think a worn or bent clutch fork could cause the problem? Maybe sticking in the pivot ball? It seems more like a lubrication issue to me since the problem developed after a week.

atod is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
RockyWrangler98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,127
My clutch pedal has been a leg press since I got my jeep. I've gotten used to it, and the clutch works great. I got one buff leg out of the deal.
__________________
"Why do you drive something like that?" ...To which I reply: "To make people like you ask questions like that."
RockyWrangler98 is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyWrangler98 View Post
My clutch pedal has been a leg press since I got my jeep. I've gotten used to it, and the clutch works great. I got one buff leg out of the deal.
Funny. You're not worried that it's going to develop into a bigger problem? I had a similar problem with my last clutch and I had to bring it back after only 15k miles
atod is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
RockyWrangler98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by atod

Funny. You're not worried that it's going to develop into a bigger problem? I had a similar problem with my last clutch and I had to bring it back after only 15k miles
Nope. Not worried at all. It's not even a problem.
__________________
"Why do you drive something like that?" ...To which I reply: "To make people like you ask questions like that."
RockyWrangler98 is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
express705's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Edwards, CO
Posts: 218
my clutch is a BITCH but im used to it.
express705 is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
RockyWrangler98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by express705
my clutch is a BITCH but im used to it.
High five! Same thing here.
__________________
"Why do you drive something like that?" ...To which I reply: "To make people like you ask questions like that."
RockyWrangler98 is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
TheTJRod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,372
Mine's not hard to press or spongy 10k after my clutch replacement.
__________________
'03 TJ Sport / D30/Ford9 / 35x12.5x15 KM2 / D window black steel 15x8 wheels / 3" custom long arm lift / SYE & 1350 DS / JKS BL / 1" MML / Smittybilt's front bumper, Tube fenders, Rocker guards, and rear bumper / High Rock Tire Carrier
Just bought a True Hi9 rear and a D44 front, both with ARB's and 4.88 gears!! Check out the build!
TheTJRod is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTJRod View Post
Mine's not hard to press or spongy 10k after my clutch replacement.
Do you know which branch of clutch you used? I'm wondering if the springs in the pressure plate are different.

Weird thing is, mine was fine for the first week, then got hard to push down. I don't think springs go bad that quick
atod is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #15
WF Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 53,748
I read on here the the jeep is picky as far as the brand clutch used. I don't know how true that is. I wasn't involved with the net and/or these forums so. The clutch I had installed was iffy the day it was put in
Tec Denied any thing was wrong. a year later no better or no worse.
kjeeper10 is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
TheTJRod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by atod View Post
Do you know which branch of clutch you used? I'm wondering if the springs in the pressure plate are different.

Weird thing is, mine was fine for the first week, then got hard to push down. I don't think springs go bad that quick
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
I read on here the the jeep is picky as far as the brand clutch used. I don't know how true that is. I wasn't involved with the net and/or these forums so. The clutch I had installed was iffy the day it was put in
Tec Denied any thing was wrong. a year later no better or no worse.

I used the OEM brand, Luk. No special high quality one just the standard Luk from autozone. I heard the slave cylinders suck though. If you want to do an upgrade I bought all the parts for it when I thought mine went out but was able to bleed it and started working again. It's a stronger piston with all the fittings to make it fit. If interested I'll find the information about it.
__________________
'03 TJ Sport / D30/Ford9 / 35x12.5x15 KM2 / D window black steel 15x8 wheels / 3" custom long arm lift / SYE & 1350 DS / JKS BL / 1" MML / Smittybilt's front bumper, Tube fenders, Rocker guards, and rear bumper / High Rock Tire Carrier
Just bought a True Hi9 rear and a D44 front, both with ARB's and 4.88 gears!! Check out the build!
TheTJRod is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Thread Starter
  #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTJRod View Post
I used the OEM brand, Luk. No special high quality one just the standard Luk from autozone. I heard the slave cylinders suck though. If you want to do an upgrade I bought all the parts for it when I thought mine went out but was able to bleed it and started working again. It's a stronger piston with all the fittings to make it fit. If interested I'll find the information about it.
Yeah I'm interested. I also installed Luk Repset (standard model). I thought the slave cylinders was a "sealed" unit and does not allow bleeding? How did you bleed?

I am interested in the upgraded slave, however am wondering why it would be necessary. The OEM slave worked great for years and there was no problem pushing down the clutch. It worked great for the first week of my new clutch. I doubt the slave went defective in that time period.

Any information you have though is appreciated. The larger piston would help at this point Thanks
atod is offline   Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
TheTJRod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by atod View Post
Yeah I'm interested. I also installed Luk Repset (standard model). I thought the slave cylinders was a "sealed" unit and does not allow bleeding? How did you bleed?

I am interested in the upgraded slave, however am wondering why it would be necessary. The OEM slave worked great for years and there was no problem pushing down the clutch. It worked great for the first week of my new clutch. I doubt the slave went defective in that time period.

Any information you have though is appreciated. The larger piston would help at this point Thanks

Here is the site I found how to replace the slave cylinder. Repair your External Clutch Slave Cylinder the Cheap and easy way - www.Universityofjeep.ca

The last two steps on this link shows how to bleed it. It did work with mine after about 5-10min of pumping the piston in and out with it pointing up I felt it get smoother and slightly harder to move as the air was leaving the system.
How to change and bleed a clutch slave cylinder - JeepForum.com

When I went looking for this thing it was because my clutch pedal felt soggy as if I had a leak or air in the system. I bought the stuff and never used it as I got it working. I am thinking your hydraulic system is to blame, not enough power. Check if your vacuum lines are fully connected. I'm not too versed in the system so I'm just shooting ideas out.
__________________
'03 TJ Sport / D30/Ford9 / 35x12.5x15 KM2 / D window black steel 15x8 wheels / 3" custom long arm lift / SYE & 1350 DS / JKS BL / 1" MML / Smittybilt's front bumper, Tube fenders, Rocker guards, and rear bumper / High Rock Tire Carrier
Just bought a True Hi9 rear and a D44 front, both with ARB's and 4.88 gears!! Check out the build!
TheTJRod is offline   Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #19
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by atod View Post
Hi,

I recently had my clutch replace *again* with a brand new factory flywheel and Luk RepSet clutch. I noticed my engagement returned back to original factory behavior. I also noticed during the first 5 days, my clutch pedal was easy to push in again. So easy, that driving in rush hour stop & go traffic was no problem.

It's now been about a week and my clutch pedal has become much more difficult to push down again. I was very unhappy shifting in some traffic yesterday mainly because the pedal required so much force to push down.

Does anyone know whats going on here? Is there something my mechanic is doing wrong or missing? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks
hi- did you ever figure out what was wrong the the clutch? my clutch has been very hard to push down since i bought it new in 2008- and maybe times i had them check it- and they alwasy said it was fine. at 42,000 miles it was popping out of first gear often. and they ended up suggesting to replace my clutch- did it. now... 17,000 miles later.... my clutch is shot. i've driven stick shift all my life- last jeep (my 93 wrangler) over 100,000 miles without replacing the clutch. and have Never felt a clutch this hard to push in.... i think there's gotta be something wrong with the mechanism... and thus- causing my clutch to burn out very prematurely... help! thanks
lovemy93wrangler is offline   Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #20
Newb
 
TallPinesRedneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lewes, Delaware
Posts: 4
Need some help

I've been looking at all these threads but, none fit my problem to the point. My son has a 2001 Sahara.. When coming home from work. The pin that holds the clutch linkage to the master cylinder came out. He put it back in..and now the clutch is stiff "Hard to push" It still shifts fine.. Just the clutch got hard after the pin came out. The thing was a breeze to drive and shift until this happend. I'm thinking its the master cylinder got jammed when the pin came out.. I bled the line and still stiff. Can anyone shed some light on this for me. I hate to see him put out $65's for something he does'nt need.. Thanx

TallPinesRedneck is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch pedal issue - weird.. Got_Mud? YJ Tech Forum 7 07-15-2013 10:46 AM
Strange Clutch Pedal Action eess YJ Tech Forum 8 07-01-2013 02:26 PM
Clutch Issue, New parts no pedal hermesgrafix YJ Tech Forum 15 04-28-2011 10:16 PM
Cherokee Master Clutch Kits - Free Shipping! AOR Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 0 04-25-2011 11:35 AM
Clutch pedal adjustment? Hazzmatt YJ Tech Forum 4 03-18-2007 05:17 PM





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.