Hand Throttle - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-22-2015, 11:48 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 140
Hand Throttle

Thinking about installing a hand throttle on my 4.0l, 6-speed LJ.

What are the pros and cons of the hand throttle?

Do's and don'ts of use and installation??

Products avbailable???

slim56 is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:55 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
UnlimitedRubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: behind enemy lines fighting the Caliban
Posts: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim56 View Post
Products avbailable???

Teraflex has the only "kit" that I'm aware of. If you search the web you can see what others have put together for themselves.

UnlimitedRubicon is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:05 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Orangiton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 170
Pro: gas, clutch, brake, all at once.
Pro: use over rough road, no surging pedal.
Pro: keep RPMs up and consistent while winching. Keep RPMs up while winching from outside the vehicle.

Con: if you let your kids play in your jeep, they may leave your throttle wide open. VROOOMMM next time you start.

I used the teraflex kit. It was easy. Now that Ive done it I could make one from bicycle parts just as easy though. (The TF kit is just bicycle parts)
Orangiton is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #4
Mostly old school..!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Now searching for rocks in Sumner, TX
Posts: 12,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpieDP View Post
Pro: gas, clutch, brake, all at once.
Pro: use over rough road, no surging pedal.
Pro: keep RPMs up and consistent while winching. Keep RPMs up while winching from outside the vehicle.

Con: if you let your kids play in your jeep, they may leave your throttle wide open. VROOOMMM next time you start.

I used the teraflex kit. It was easy. Now that Ive done it I could make one from bicycle parts just as easy though. (The TF kit is just bicycle parts)
X2, also nice if you want to keep rpm's up for jumping another battery or running heavy amp electricals (compressor, winch, etc) while parked. I also used the Teraflex kit (rather than bike parts) just because it all came ready to bolt on and I didn't have to go scrounging for small parts.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 48,643
A hand throttle was one of the best mods I ever installed. It gives incredibly precise fingertip control of the throttle on rough trail conditions and it eliminates the possibility of a foot bouncing on the gas pedal and sending a shock through the drivetrain busting something. For those worried about the kids leaving it pulled into the high RPM setting, it's spring loaded and will return on its own once you let go. You would have to turn the little clamp at the pivot point to lock it into place to hold the RPMs up like for winching or OBA engine-driven compressor use.

Mine came from Rubicon Express and it had a cool helpful bracket for the throttle linkage cable installation but they no longer sell it. Transamerica was worried about liability so they told them to stop selling it. Tera's kit is the only other kit I'm aware of but it doesn't come with that bracket. Also, buy a throttle return spring from the dealer. Cut the spring off, you only want the plastic retainer. You can pass the hand throttle cable through it instead and then snap it over the ball on the throttle lever on the throttle body. Go to Lowes or Home Depot to get a crimp on cable retainer piece which will secure the wire in the plastic retainer after setting the required length.

I installed it on my TJ when it had its OE 5-speed, and then I reinstalled it after I converted to the automatic. It helps with both types of transmissions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shiftknob.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	2207689   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2482.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	2207697  

__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:51 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
RKCWLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cerritos, CA
Posts: 586
I have been thinking about adding a throttle cable to my 2004 Rubicon with the automatic. I have the cruise control which connects to the second ball on the throttle lever. How would I connect the throttle cable?
__________________
><(((((((║>
Eat-Sleep-Fish
RKCWLER is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 2,127
I have never wished I had a hand throttle in any situation, have proper gearing and learn how to drive without rolling back. I must have a magical foot because I never have a problem with bouncing either..

Just my opinion. I'm glad I never got dependent on one.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 48,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
I have never wished I had a hand throttle in any situation, have proper gearing and learn how to drive without rolling back. I must have a magical foot because I never have a problem with bouncing either..

Just my opinion. I'm glad I never got dependent on one.
Oh to be so skilled, I hope my foot becomes magical like yours some day. Actually I'm glad I never grew dependent on mine either... but like a locker, it sure is nice to have available when trail conditions are such that it makes a difference.

The bottom line is if you've never rock crawled on an extra challenging trail like is common in Johnson Valley with one, you'd never know what you're missing.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Oh to be so skilled, I hope my foot becomes magical like yours some day. Actually I'm glad I never grew dependent on mine either... but like a locker, it sure is nice to have available when trail conditions are such that it makes a difference.

The bottom line is if you've never rock crawled on an extra challenging trail like is common in Johnson Valley with one, you'd never know what you're missing.
I was simply stating my opinion, Can someone not have a differing opinion? No need to throw jabs.

Of course you would assume I have never been on a difficult trail. I hope this trail is challenging enough for your standards?

Sledge by Moabrubi, on Flickr
Moabrubi is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
Mostly old school..!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Water Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Now searching for rocks in Sumner, TX
Posts: 12,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKCWLER View Post
I have been thinking about adding a throttle cable to my 2004 Rubicon with the automatic. I have the cruise control which connects to the second ball on the throttle lever. How would I connect the throttle cable?
I also have cruise control on mine. I simply leave the clip on the hand throttle disconnected at the throttle body until I get to the trail then unsnap the cruise control clip and snap on the hand throttle clip...no tools needed.
__________________
Dennis
Water Dog is offline   Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
RKCWLER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Cerritos, CA
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Dog View Post
I also have cruise control on mine. I simply leave the clip on the hand throttle disconnected at the throttle body until I get to the trail then unsnap the cruise control clip and snap on the hand throttle clip...no tools needed.
THANK YOU.
ANSWERS are getting pretty rare compared to OPINIONS.
__________________
><(((((((║>
Eat-Sleep-Fish
RKCWLER is offline   Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:49 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKCWLER View Post
THANK YOU.
ANSWERS are getting pretty rare compared to OPINIONS.
Well the OP did ask for pros/cons which are OPINIONS .

Moabrubi is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep«, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.