LJ RUBI = Wallet Nightmare - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > TJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
SOTHPAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: 2 continents, 8 countries, 6 states, 8 cities
Posts: 270
LJ RUBI = Wallet Nightmare

BAD NEWS....

Took the Rubi to my mechanic to get my tires rotated.... AND then the RAIN OF SORROWS POURED down. Once they started really taking apart the jeep:

They said the axle joints needed to be replaced, the camshaft/cam sensor needed to be replaced (heard a constant clicking like noise), noticed the 4WD spring up front did not engage when set to 4WD, OPDA also needs to be replaced which is part of the whole cam area problem, and there was some sort of exhaust/oil valve leak.

Nothing HUGE and major according to them but the little things and fixes always add up big time.

Talk about a headache a day after it officially become mine.

:'(



__________________


"Nemo" 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Impact Orange

GB^3
SOTHPAW is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 5,152
I'll trade you even stevens for a 99 TJ.

__________________
2017 Rubicon Hardrock. - Rockhard4x4 winch plate and Warn XD9000.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:19 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
SOTHPAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: 2 continents, 8 countries, 6 states, 8 cities
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
I'll trade you even stevens for a 99 TJ.

I take this as "shut up young man, a little bit of money to fix the problems is worth it." Haha
__________________


"Nemo" 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Impact Orange

GB^3
SOTHPAW is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTHPAW View Post
I take this as "shut up young man, a little bit of money to fix the problems is worth it." Haha
either that, or an honest offer. It's a great deal, you should take it.


in all seriousness...learn to work on your own vehicles, you'll save boat loads of cash and learn a lot. There's at least a dozen people on this site that are willing to help, if you're lucky you might even find a local chap to help in person.
__________________
2017 Rubicon Hardrock. - Rockhard4x4 winch plate and Warn XD9000.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:22 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Tinker Bell Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: 18 miles west of Chicago
Posts: 21,450
That's not that bad...calm down sparky.

Could be hell of a lot worse, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
__________________
I don't really care what anyone thinks...eff it.
Tinker Bell Monster is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
SOTHPAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: 2 continents, 8 countries, 6 states, 8 cities
Posts: 270
I know I need to learn but living at college... Idk how I would get it lifted to really be able to work on anything. Most under the hood and other things I can do without needing to get it on a lift, I do. I'm learning but have nowhere near enough time or resources to do more complicated things
__________________


"Nemo" 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Impact Orange

GB^3
SOTHPAW is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:30 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTHPAW View Post
I know I need to learn but living at college... Idk how I would get it lifted to really be able to work on anything. Most under the hood and other things I can do without needing to get it on a lift, I do. I'm learning but have nowhere near enough time or resources to do more complicated things
They don't sell floor jacks and jack stands anymore?

I installed a bolt in rollbar and full suspension in my apartment parking lot back in college. Transmission swap in a friends driveway on jackstands, etc....

I have a friend that built and installed a custom welded Long arm suspension without a lift.

Lifts aren't necessary, they just make things easier. Where there's a will, there's a way. My cheapness always won out in college. it was DIY or nothing. I know not everyone is as "touched" in the head as I.
__________________
2017 Rubicon Hardrock. - Rockhard4x4 winch plate and Warn XD9000.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Tinker Bell Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: 18 miles west of Chicago
Posts: 21,450
I bought my TJ in college, couldn't really touch it for awhile. Thing wasn't lifted until well over 100k and had a lot of fiends help me..

In any case I'm sure if you ever ended up back up here you could network and find a group willing to throw a lift party...just do your research and find what you want.

Hell It might take you a year plus to get everything you need. I have parts spread or everywhere that are just...waiting.
__________________
I don't really care what anyone thinks...eff it.
Tinker Bell Monster is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
macintux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central IN
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Bell Monster View Post
I bought my TJ in college, couldn't really touch it for awhile. Thing wasn't lifted until well over 100k and had a lot of fiends help me.. In any case I'm sure if you ever ended up back up here you could network and find a group willing to throw a lift party...just do your research and find what you want. Hell It might take you a year plus to get everything you need. I have parts spread or everywhere that are just...waiting.
Wrong lift, methinks.

Where did you find the fiends? I've been keeping my eye out for evil minions to no avail.
macintux is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:58 AM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
SOTHPAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: 2 continents, 8 countries, 6 states, 8 cities
Posts: 270
I guess it's more that I do not have time to do big thing with class/baseball/boxing/work.... That's a damn full day for a college athlete. This summer I should be able to do a lot more myself.

And yea it could be worse. I guess when you purchase something, you would hope that it would be good to go. The body/frame/under body are in mint condition. It's the stuff you can't see that sucks
__________________


"Nemo" 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Impact Orange

GB^3
SOTHPAW is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
Tinker Bell Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: 18 miles west of Chicago
Posts: 21,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by macintux View Post
Wrong lift, methinks. Where did you find the fiends? I've been keeping my eye out for evil minions to no avail.
I have the wrong lift?

Huh?

There around....
__________________
I don't really care what anyone thinks...eff it.
Tinker Bell Monster is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:20 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Big Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posts: 2,046
Sounds like the mechanic sees you as an easy target. Never heard of a 4 wheel drive spring. Did the mechanic remove the OPDA for a full inspection and also evaluate the condition of the camshaft? Is your CEL illuminated indicating that there is an issue with the CPS?
Big Cole is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:34 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTHPAW View Post
I guess it's more that I do not have time to do big thing with class/baseball/boxing/work.... That's a damn full day for a college athlete. This summer I should be able to do a lot more myself.

And yea it could be worse. I guess when you purchase something, you would hope that it would be good to go. The body/frame/under body are in mint condition. It's the stuff you can't see that sucks
Just a reminder. You bought a 10yr old vehicle...Things are going to break. Good news is Summer is almost here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macintux View Post
Wrong lift, methinks.

Where did you find the fiends? I've been keeping my eye out for evil minions to no avail.
__________________
2017 Rubicon Hardrock. - Rockhard4x4 winch plate and Warn XD9000.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:42 AM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
SOTHPAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: 2 continents, 8 countries, 6 states, 8 cities
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Cole View Post
Sounds like the mechanic sees you as an easy target. Never heard of a 4 wheel drive spring. Did the mechanic remove the OPDA for a full inspection and also evaluate the condition of the camshaft? Is your CEL illuminated indicating that there is an issue with the CPS?


The mechanic is a life long family friend. We (My family and the company) have taken vehicles there since 1977. If there is anyone I trust with any vehicle it is them.

The 4 wheel drive is something that is not allowing 4WD to engage up front. Yes the OPDA and camshaft are toast, there's a constant clicking and low seal like noise nonstop.
__________________


"Nemo" 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Impact Orange

GB^3
SOTHPAW is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
macintux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Central IN
Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker Bell Monster View Post
I have the wrong lift? Huh? There around....
The discussion is around garage lifts for working underneath the vehicle. Unless I'm drunk, which is always possible.
macintux is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTHPAW View Post
BAD NEWS....

Took the Rubi to my mechanic to get my tires rotated.... AND then the RAIN OF SORROWS POURED down. Once they started really taking apart the jeep:

They said the axle joints needed to be replaced, the camshaft/cam sensor needed to be replaced (heard a constant clicking like noise), noticed the 4WD spring up front did not engage when set to 4WD, OPDA also needs to be replaced which is part of the whole cam area problem, and there was some sort of exhaust/oil valve leak.

Nothing HUGE and major according to them but the little things and fixes always add up big time.

Talk about a headache a day after it officially become mine.

:'(

Did you have the jeep inspected before you bought it? If so, none of this should be a surprise?
drkjmurphy is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:35 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
LJ Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pine, Colorado
Posts: 1,977
You need to fix the OPDA and possibly replace the camshaft if it is really toast immediately as it will destroy your engine if it completely fails. The OPDA not only has the camshaft position sensor in it, it also drives the oil pump (OPDA = Oil Pump Drive Assembly). If it's chirping constantly it needs to be fixed now.
__________________
_____________
2005 Rubicon LJ, 4.5 lift, 35's
LJ Dave is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 837
Yep^ start with that and ride on the rest of it gently until you have money to fix them properly.

U joints can probably wait.....probably.
Mr.P_0_0_P is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:43 PM
Thread Starter
  #19
Jeeper
 
SOTHPAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: 2 continents, 8 countries, 6 states, 8 cities
Posts: 270
Yes it was inspected.... Idk what the hell the dude was looking at. Only thing that mechanic up north mentioned was the u-joint.

And yea it is all being replaced as we speak. Not taking any chances.
__________________


"Nemo" 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Impact Orange

GB^3
SOTHPAW is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
billiebob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kootenays, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,119
Not to rain on the parade but when I was a student I drove a 12 year old pickup and only spent money on gas and tires. There is no question that an LJR is going to be expensive on a students budget. All about priorities. By my last year of college all I had was a bus pass and bicycle.

Sell it and focus on what you need today.
__________________
My Uncles first Jeep was Government issued in 1944..
When all Jeeps were Government issued.
billiebob is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #21
Jeeper
 
SOTHPAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: 2 continents, 8 countries, 6 states, 8 cities
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
Not to rain on the parade but when I was a student I drove a 12 year old pickup and only spent money on gas and tires. There is no question that an LJR is going to be expensive on a students budget. All about priorities. By my last year of college all I had was a bus pass and bicycle.

Sell it and focus on what you need today.

I just bought it like a few days ago. And I have no debt. Scholarships cover school. And work to make money, so I can cover the cost just really cuts into my budget. I'm not some government sucking liberal or rich mommy and daddy kid haha
__________________


"Nemo" 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Impact Orange

GB^3
SOTHPAW is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTHPAW View Post
I just bought it like a few days ago. And I have no debt. Scholarships cover school. And work to make money, so I can cover the cost just really cuts into my budget. I'm not some government sucking liberal or rich mommy and daddy kid haha
Jesus this thread took a dive. I was hoping I'd be the biggest prick in the thread...sadly that title was taken away from me.

No worries Mr.Paw, the Jeep will be a reliable vehicle once you get the normal bullshit out of the way. I was just razzing you earlier (You took it like a champ, which impressed me). I don't think your mechanic is up to anything, I think you aren't playing "telephone" very well. That's okay though....as it really doesn't matter. If you don't have much wrenching experience, I implore you to try it out, start with simple stuff like oil changes (a trained Koala bear can change oil/filter....you'll be fine).

keep the mods to a minimum, just keep it running while you're in school, then once you're making the big bucks, you can modify it.


You'll find that most Jeep people (well, real Jeep people, not those sissy JK owners) work on their own vehicles...a few reasons for it, we tell ourselves that it makes us more self-sufficient....you know, bragging rights and such.

In time, you'll be as much a wrench thrower as any of us, or you'll buy a JK.
__________________
2017 Rubicon Hardrock. - Rockhard4x4 winch plate and Warn XD9000.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:45 PM
Thread Starter
  #23
Jeeper
 
SOTHPAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: 2 continents, 8 countries, 6 states, 8 cities
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
Jesus this thread took a dive. I was hoping I'd be the biggest prick in the thread...sadly that title was taken away from me.

No worries Mr.Paw, the Jeep will be a reliable vehicle once you get the normal bullshit out of the way. I was just razzing you earlier (You took it like a champ, which impressed me). I don't think your mechanic is up to anything, I think you aren't playing "telephone" very well. That's okay though....as it really doesn't matter.


You'll find that most Jeep people (well, real Jeep people, not those sissy JK owners) work on their own vehicles...a few reasons for it, we tell ourselves that it makes us more self-sufficient....you know, bragging rights and such.

In time, you'll be as much a wrench thrower as any of us, or you'll buy a JK.


"Sothpaw" is southpaw meaning I'm a lefty. But as a college athlete (baseball), amateur boxer, and had an internship with the gov't, it's pretty hard to razzle me. I take pride in my composure lol.

I trust my mechanic 100%. They have to much to lose to screw me over or the big engineering firm and customers my family provides to them. Plus they've just been good, helpful people.

AND I WILL NEVER BUY A JK..... I will not list the infinite reasons why lmao
__________________


"Nemo" 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Impact Orange

GB^3
SOTHPAW is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:54 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTHPAW View Post
"Sothpaw" is southpaw meaning I'm a lefty.
somehow I caught that...I felt retarded typing sothpaw...Mr paw made me chuckle. most things I post are meant to be 1/2 helpful, and 1/2 hilarious to my target audience. Luckily for the rest of you, I am my target audience. Plus you were a good sport, which made me feel less like a prick. HAHA


Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTHPAW View Post
I trust my mechanic 100%. They have to much to lose to screw me over or the big engineering firm and customers my family provides to them. Plus they've just been good, helpful people.

AND I WILL NEVER BUY A JK..... I will not list the infinite reasons why lmao
I'd never trust anyone 100%...maybe 80% I don't doubt their credibility, I was addressing another posters doubt....he's ignoring we (forum users) are getting "telephoned"...so terms and exact descriptions will often be off....

Since I never said it, congrats on the purchase, and good luck with your endeavors.
__________________
2017 Rubicon Hardrock. - Rockhard4x4 winch plate and Warn XD9000.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Thread Starter
  #25
Jeeper
 
SOTHPAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: 2 continents, 8 countries, 6 states, 8 cities
Posts: 270
HAHA

"Mr. Pa" is the nickname for our coach.

And yea i did not feel like typing every word out about them explaining the issues to me.

I am very glad to be getting the OPDA issue fixed though
__________________


"Nemo" 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Impact Orange

GB^3
SOTHPAW is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:58 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 5,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTHPAW View Post
HAHA

"Mr. Pa" is the nickname for our coach.

And yea i did not feel like typing every word out about them explaining the issues to me.

I am very glad to be getting the OPDA issue fixed though
hopefully they are going with the updated unit? It's an issue that you should keep an eye on...as they aren't 100% sure it's "solved" with the new part.
__________________
2017 Rubicon Hardrock. - Rockhard4x4 winch plate and Warn XD9000.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:59 PM
Thread Starter
  #27
Jeeper
 
SOTHPAW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: 2 continents, 8 countries, 6 states, 8 cities
Posts: 270
Whatever part they ordered, I am #92 on the back order list lol
__________________


"Nemo" 2006 Rubicon Unlimited Impact Orange

GB^3
SOTHPAW is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 05:51 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
njs552's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 631
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTHPAW View Post
Whatever part they ordered, I am #92 on the back order list lol
Might want to get some details on exactly what they ordered. I am only aware of the OEM Mopar OPDA being on backorder, and you dont want that part, because (as far as I know) the Mopar replacement has the same issue as your current one does, and will fail in a similar fasion down the road.

What you want to get is a OPDA made by Crown that corrects the problem with the upper bushing. You can purchase it on Quadratec, and they should have them in stock - at least they were in stock a week ago when I ordered mine.
__________________
Black 05 Sport || 4.0L / 6spd || 15x8 / 31" Duratracs || JK/ZJ Spring Swap Lift || Custom Front Bumper for Warn 5687 || Flat skid TT
njs552 is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #29
BLZ
Jeeper
 
BLZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: On tOp OF a MOunTAin
Posts: 496
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket..

It's to bad about your opda issues.out of pure dumb luck I ended up with an 04 rubicon which doesn't have have the 05/06 opda problems......
__________________
recovering toyotaholic.
BLZ is offline   Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
LJ Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pine, Colorado
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs552 View Post
Might want to get some details on exactly what they ordered. I am only aware of the OEM Mopar OPDA being on backorder, and you dont want that part, because (as far as I know) the Mopar replacement has the same issue as your current one does, and will fail in a similar fasion down the road. What you want to get is a OPDA made by Crown that corrects the problem with the upper bushing. You can purchase it on Quadratec, and they should have them in stock - at least they were in stock a week ago when I ordered mine.
Seriously DO NOT INSTALL AN OEM OPDA! Buy the crown unit not the original LDI POS.

__________________
_____________
2005 Rubicon LJ, 4.5 lift, 35's
LJ Dave is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.