Aluminum radiator - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
Aluminum radiator

Well my new radiator came in yesterday. And today I'm putting it in. I'll post pics as i go.

Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,377
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
subbed

Triple88a is offline   Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
subbed
Roger That.
__________________
Jeep Newbie--'88 YJ Laredo Hardtop
4.2, Original Carb--all stock, engine-wise--including funky idle, until hot.
Upgraded to:
AX-15 trans and transfer case, out of a '99 Cherokee

6'6" Western Snow Plow
Y-Yes is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 PM   #4
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Luckymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SouthEast of Denver
Posts: 9,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
subbed
What do you mean by "subbed"

Thanks, L.M.
Luckymac is online now   Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:06 PM   #5
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
DREDnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,236
Subscribed....you know how when you reply in a thread you get that little arrow, or black dot so you can see it
__________________
'91 YJ Sahara 4.0L/AX-15/NP231, D30/D35 @3.07
'12 KK Cherokee 3.7L/42RLE/MP1522,D30M/[email protected]
Emissions testing? YES
DREDnot is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:08 AM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4096550284.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	2482802



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4157311002.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	2482810

Sorry it took me so long. Had some issues, and then family life. Two weeks ago, I did the water pump and thermostat. The next day I developed a pin hole leak. So I gathered some money, and ordered my new radiator. It took a week to here, but that was due to the holiday. The install was fairly straightforward, but taking extra care as I did not remove the fan or shroud. I had to locate alternative fan shroud bolts, as the original bolts were too big. It took a bit longer than expected to get the air out of the system. It got hot a couple times. But, after I got it all out, it seems to work perfectly. It runs much cooler now than before. The only thing left is the heater core. And that is happing soon. Thanx

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2405745319.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	2482794
Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:40 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
steves92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticjeep View Post

Sorry it took me so long. Had some issues, and then family life. Two weeks ago, I did the water pump and thermostat. The next day I developed a pin hole leak. So I gathered some money, and ordered my new radiator. It took a week to here, but that was due to the holiday. The install was fairly straightforward, but taking extra care as I did not remove the fan or shroud. I had to locate alternative fan shroud bolts, as the original bolts were too big. It took a bit longer than expected to get the air out of the system. It got hot a couple times. But, after I got it all out, it seems to work perfectly. It runs much cooler now than before. The only thing left is the heater core. And that is happing soon. Thanx
What did the radiator cost and is aluminum a better option than brass/ copper? I'm not too sure what stock came with but I'm probably going to replace mine soon also?
__________________
Why did I wait so long to buy my first jeep??
'92 YJ 4.0 5spd....mostly 4
steves92 is online now   Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 01:47 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
steves92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticjeep View Post

Sorry it took me so long. Had some issues, and then family life. Two weeks ago, I did the water pump and thermostat. The next day I developed a pin hole leak. So I gathered some money, and ordered my new radiator. It took a week to here, but that was due to the holiday. The install was fairly straightforward, but taking extra care as I did not remove the fan or shroud. I had to locate alternative fan shroud bolts, as the original bolts were too big. It took a bit longer than expected to get the air out of the system. It got hot a couple times. But, after I got it all out, it seems to work perfectly. It runs much cooler now than before. The only thing left is the heater core. And that is happing soon. Thanx
What did the radiator cost and is aluminum a better option than brass/ copper? I'm not too sure what stock came with but I'm probably going to replace mine soon also?
__________________
Why did I wait so long to buy my first jeep??
'92 YJ 4.0 5spd....mostly 4
steves92 is online now   Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
It was $167. I got from amazon. I'm not really sure if it's a better option going with aluminum, but, all the parts stores and rock auto were selling the aluminum core plastic tank ends for a little less than what I paid for this one. Mine is a 3 core with trans cooler. I couldn't find a comparable radiator to this one for under $300. Except on amazon. Which is why I went this route.
Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,377
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by steves92 View Post
What did the radiator cost and is aluminum a better option than brass/ copper? I'm not too sure what stock came with but I'm probably going to replace mine soon also?
Depends how the copper rad is made. Most just slide the fins on there. Others weld the fins which negates the coppers transfer of heat since the heat must go through the weld. Very few use the brazed technique any more but even if they did it would make little difference. The only reason to go with a copper rad is if you absolutely cannot add a bigger radiator. On the other hand aluminum is much lighter, is made of 1 material. It's much sturdier. It's about the same price.
Triple88a is offline   Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 08:56 AM
Thread Starter
  #11
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
So far it seems to work great. Next is the heater core, and blower motor.
Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 877
Love those aluminum radiators!

I put one in my YJ (THIS ONE). It was $121.99 at the time (currently out of stock) and it bolted right up without any problems. It is a single row, but the one row is much larger than the single-row OEM it replaced. It did make a difference in cooling too. In the mornings my thermostat is very busy until everything reaches equilibrium. It sure looks "custom" sitting in that engine bay too. It is visible through the grille since I don't have AC.

One thing I did find is that those crappy AutoZone (Duralast) radiator caps are not manufactured to spec. It was just a little short and as such allowed coolant to weep out around the fill neck and drive me crazy. A new Stant and all was right with the world.

Just curious as to why you didn't change the hoses too while you were in there.
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-JK, 6 spd., 1995 Jeep Wrangler S, 2.5, 4 cyl., 2010 Chrysler 300 Touring/Signature Edition, 2003 2500 SLT, QC, LB, ETH, DEE, 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R (F53/V10/5spd TQShift) 2002 Nissan Xterra 4WD/V6
Other: 2010 Kubota MX4700 with FEL, 1977 Kubota L185.
DryCreek is offline   Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
I put one in my YJ (THIS ONE). It was $121.99 at the time (currently out of stock) and it bolted right up without any problems. It is a single row, but the one row is much larger than the single-row OEM it replaced. It did make a difference in cooling too. In the mornings my thermostat is very busy until everything reaches equilibrium. It sure looks "custom" sitting in that engine bay too. It is visible through the grille since I don't have AC. One thing I did find is that those crappy AutoZone (Duralast) radiator caps are not manufactured to spec. It was just a little short and as such allowed coolant to weep out around the fill neck and drive me crazy. A new Stant and all was right with the world. Just curious as to why you didn't change the hoses too while you were in there.
I literally spent every penny I had for the radiator. The hoses will be done soon. But I got a ticket today for a busted windshield, so now I have to scrape for that, before I default on the ticket and lose my license. It's still a work in progress, but should be good by the time the snow flies here in Michigan.
Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticjeep View Post
I literally spent every penny I had for the radiator. The hoses will be done soon. But I got a ticket today for a busted windshield, so now I have to scrape for that, before I default on the ticket and lose my license. It's still a work in progress, but should be good by the time the snow flies here in Michigan.
Oh, OK. That makes sense. It's just a lot easier to change them all out at the same time. Plus, you won't waste any coolant when done together.
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-JK, 6 spd., 1995 Jeep Wrangler S, 2.5, 4 cyl., 2010 Chrysler 300 Touring/Signature Edition, 2003 2500 SLT, QC, LB, ETH, DEE, 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R (F53/V10/5spd TQShift) 2002 Nissan Xterra 4WD/V6
Other: 2010 Kubota MX4700 with FEL, 1977 Kubota L185.
DryCreek is offline   Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:24 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
dante2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Oklahoma
Posts: 289
I got one from Champion that looks very similar to yours Articjeep. Mine is a 2 row for $167 shipped. It was almost to nice to install it. The only issue I have with mine is the bottom hole in the shroud (pass. side) doesn't line up with the hole in the radiator (it holds very tight with just the other 3 bolts holding it). I called them and they are working on fixing that issue.
__________________
Her's
04 KJ 228K
Mine
94 YJ 4.0 AW4 2" Zone lift, 31's
Our's
03 KJ 220K 89 MJ 4.0 4wd auto
dante2 is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
Mine is a 3 row with trans cooler. So I didn't mind having to find different bolts. Even if it was difficult to put in, I feel better knowing I could tow another jeep without the worry of overheating.
Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:05 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Gulrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticjeep View Post
Mine is a 3 row with trans cooler. So I didn't mind having to find different bolts. Even if it was difficult to put in, I feel better knowing I could tow another jeep without the worry of overheating.
My old miata use to way around 2300 lbs. I'm pretty sure that the Wrangler is heavier than that.

Since the max towing capacity in 2000 lbs, and another wrangler weighs roughly 3300 (From Chrysler). A trailer to tow another jeep is probably around 2000 lbs..

You're not going to be able to safely tow 5300 lbs. You can't stop quick enough, your power won't be enough, your wheel base & vehicle weight isn't large enough either.

I'd be more worried about frying from it being pegged out trying to move forward.
__________________
_______
[_|_,[__],
[--|_|- OlllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-)_)
Gulrok is offline   Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:18 AM
Thread Starter
  #18
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulrok View Post
My old miata use to way around 2300 lbs. I'm pretty sure that the Wrangler is heavier than that. Since the max towing capacity in 2000 lbs, and another wrangler weighs roughly 3300 (From Chrysler). A trailer to tow another jeep is probably around 2000 lbs.. You're not going to be able to safely tow 5300 lbs. You can't stop quick enough, your power won't be enough, your wheel base & vehicle weight isn't large enough either. I'd be more worried about frying from it being pegged out trying to move forward.
Except I tow with a tow-dolly. And I don't tow vehicles alot. Plus I don't pull anything bigger than an XJ. I have plenty of power to pull, and brakes to stop.
Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:58 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Gulrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Mount Laurel, NJ
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticjeep View Post
Except I tow with a tow-dolly. And I don't tow vehicles alot. Plus I don't pull anything bigger than an XJ. I have plenty of power to pull, and brakes to stop.
A tow dolly weighs closer to 500lbs. A XJ is 3000lbs in 2wd, and 3300 in 4wd. You should only tow vehicles that the dolly + vehicle weight is 750 lbs less than your vehicle weight.

Which means that your tow vehicle needs to weigh minimum 4050 lbs, to tow a lighter XJ.

Besides that.. you really don't have that much braking power, or power in general. We have great low end torque, but towing another full sized SUV, or even a full sized car is too much.. there is a reason Jeep puts their towing limits @ 2000 lbs.
__________________
_______
[_|_,[__],
[--|_|- OlllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-)_)
Gulrok is offline   Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,377
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticjeep View Post
But I got a ticket today for a busted windshield, so now I have to scrape for that, before I default on the ticket and lose my license.
"Oh you are broke and barely can make ends meet and dont have money to fix your window? Here let me help you by giving you this expensive ticket for your broken window."
Triple88a is offline   Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:07 AM
Thread Starter
  #21
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
"Oh you are broke and barely can make ends meet and dont have money to fix your window? Here let me help you by giving you this expensive ticket for your broken window."
exactly. And I was on my way to a job interview for a second job. But I did get the job, and I'm gonna post pics tomorrow of the loaded windshield frame I picked up for $200 bucks.
Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,377
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
oh nice where did you find that? craigslist or something?
Triple88a is offline   Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:25 PM
Thread Starter
  #23
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
oh nice where did you find that? craigslist or something?
Yeah! Battlecreek craigslist. I got the full hard doors for $250. And the loaded windshield frame for $200. Same guy, but two weeks apart. They are from a 93 wrangler renegade, hit in the front. Has a good hard top and other parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1484249793.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	2501858   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1583066221.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	2501866  

Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,377
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
I'm jelly, theres nothing around here (chicago) that isnt covered in rust from top to bottom.
Triple88a is offline   Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Thread Starter
  #25
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
I got really lucky. But I still had to drive an hour and a half to get there. I'm near Ann Arbor. There is a spot a rust on the passenger side door, about 6 inches long. But no rust on the window loop where they always rust.
Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Smryna
Posts: 31
ArticJeep do you have a link to the radiator you bought?
dznucks is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Thread Starter
  #27
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznucks View Post
ArticJeep do you have a link to the radiator you bought?
Sorry, I do not have a link. But I should be able too find it on amazon.
Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Thread Starter
  #28
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
I believe it was from auto dynasty, jeep 3 row full aluminum radiator. Now the price is showing $151.88. With free shipping. So far I have had no issues, but I have had to replace the whole cooling system. After i did the water pump and thermostat. I did the radiator, then heater hoses cuz they started leaking. Now my heater core is leaking. So I will be doing that later today.
Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Smryna
Posts: 31
Found it. Thanks
dznucks is offline   Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:31 PM
Thread Starter
  #30
Jeeper
 
Arcticjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
No prob and Let me know what you decide.

Arcticjeep is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.