Bestop Deck Covers For 88 YJ - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-20-2016, 12:33 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
dsaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 824
Bestop Deck Covers For 88 YJ

Is it completely impossible to fine a spice or tan-colored Bestop deck cover for the sports bar style YJ? I realize Bestop doesn't make them anymore, which is the ONLY accessory the don't make in spice or tan btw. But I can't find any used or old stock ones anywhere either. I'd really love to find one if anyone has any ideas.

__________________
_____________________________________________
88 YJ Laredo, 4.2, I6, CRT HEI, Weber, Holley FPR, Automatic
Some stainless
Making new, one piece at a time
Other car is a Prius. 😂
dsaylor is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:15 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Jim1992YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 31

__________________
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ, 4.0 l6, 5 Speed Manual AX-15,
Welded stinger, 30% tinted soft top, 2.5% tinted hard top, infinity kappa 4x6, 4.5in kickers, 1100w amp, 2x10 Rockford Fosgate R1's, 2.5 rancho Suspension Lift, 1 in body lift, BFG KO2 32x11.50x15/ Full-size Spare.
Jim1992YJ is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Raoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The moral high ground
Posts: 892
Rampage spice and tan is for the Family bar (92-95).
Their Sport bar tonneau is black or grey (87-91).
__________________
'90 YJ 4.2L Manual w/ fancy hubcaps
Raoul is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
dsaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 824
So far, Bestop has given me contact info for their fabric supplier to see if I can have one made. Surely, there's another way.
__________________
_____________________________________________
88 YJ Laredo, 4.2, I6, CRT HEI, Weber, Holley FPR, Automatic
Some stainless
Making new, one piece at a time
Other car is a Prius. 😂
dsaylor is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Luckymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SouthEast of Denver
Posts: 9,024
If you have the old one, perhaps you can have one made locally at an upholstery shop. I would be surprised if a good upholstery shop couldn't get the material to match your interior.
Or you can order one in black for the local upholstery shop to use as a pattern, and once they are done, return the black one to the seller.

You might consider ordering a grey one and using SEM vinyl dye to try to get it to the color you want. You should have no trouble obtaining the color dye you want from an automotive paint supply store. The problem will be covering the grey.

Good Luck, L.M.
__________________
"Wrangler....It's not just a vehicle, It's a lifestyle".
.................................................. ........................
1987 YJ-4.2L-Standard Shift- Re-manufactured Carter Carb-2" body Lift-31X10.5X15 BFG KOs-190K Miles No back seat.
HEI distributor with computer and all related relays and wiring removed.
12K Badlands winch with dual batteries.
Warn front bumper. Matching imitation Warn bumper on the rear.
Luckymac is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:47 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
dsaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymac View Post
If you have the old one, perhaps you can have one made locally at an upholstery shop. I would be surprised if a good upholstery shop couldn't get the material to match your interior.
Or you can order one in black for the local upholstery shop to use as a pattern, and once they are done, return the black one to the seller.

You might consider ordering a grey one and using SEM vinyl dye to try to get it to the color you want. You should have no trouble obtaining the color dye you want from an automotive paint supply store. The problem will be covering the grey.

Good Luck, L.M.
Interesting ideas. I don't have an old one, though. I'm starting from scratch. It just seemed like a fun thing to do to the Jeep. I've seen one on eBay as part of a whole soft top set, but wasn't really shopping at the time so I didn't make an offer. Maybe another will come up sometime. They must be out there.
__________________
_____________________________________________
88 YJ Laredo, 4.2, I6, CRT HEI, Weber, Holley FPR, Automatic
Some stainless
Making new, one piece at a time
Other car is a Prius. 😂
dsaylor is offline   Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
mijeeper80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,016
Not sure why you couldnt make one fit from a family bar set up, never owned a sport bar version besides cj's so never thought of trying it but they both come down in the same place. I know because of the sport bars angle that maybe it's slightly farther forward but I have seen crazier things work. Just a thought GL!
mijeeper80 is offline   Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:43 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Jim1992YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaylor View Post
Interesting ideas. I don't have an old one, though. I'm starting from scratch. It just seemed like a fun thing to do to the Jeep. I've seen one on eBay as part of a whole soft top set, but wasn't really shopping at the time so I didn't make an offer. Maybe another will come up sometime. They must be out there.
Upholstery shops are expensive too. I needed a little stitching done on my soft top (Under 3 Feet) and it was more reasonable to buy a new top. $40 cheaper. That's a few cases for when I'm dealing with "You know you're driving a YJ when" problems!
Jim1992YJ is offline   Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:54 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
dsaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijeeper80 View Post
Not sure why you couldnt make one fit from a family bar set up, never owned a sport bar version besides cj's so never thought of trying it but they both come down in the same place. I know because of the sport bars angle that maybe it's slightly farther forward but I have seen crazier things work. Just a thought GL!
I thought about this, but I'm under the impression that the rear bars are not in the same location as the sports bar. Maybe this is incorrect? If so, then I guess problem solved.
__________________
_____________________________________________
88 YJ Laredo, 4.2, I6, CRT HEI, Weber, Holley FPR, Automatic
Some stainless
Making new, one piece at a time
Other car is a Prius. 😂
dsaylor is offline   Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:07 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
mijeeper80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,016
Maybe someone has more knowledge of exact difference at the top of the tub of how much farther forward a sport bar is than a family bar but can't be talking more than a few inches I don't think and that would be cheaper to alter than making a whole set up. Sport bars and family bars bolt up to the same places, that's why a lot of guys swap out the sport bars for the family bars, that's always another option unless you really like the sport bar.
mijeeper80 is offline   Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:47 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Jim1992YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 31
I really don't think that there is much difference in distance as people think. If you just look at pictures it's more about angles than distance. If there is any difference in distance it's inches.
__________________
1992 Jeep Wrangler YJ, 4.0 l6, 5 Speed Manual AX-15,
Welded stinger, 30% tinted soft top, 2.5% tinted hard top, infinity kappa 4x6, 4.5in kickers, 1100w amp, 2x10 Rockford Fosgate R1's, 2.5 rancho Suspension Lift, 1 in body lift, BFG KO2 32x11.50x15/ Full-size Spare.
Jim1992YJ is offline   Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:18 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
dsaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1992YJ View Post
I really don't think that there is much difference in distance as people think. If you just look at pictures it's more about angles than distance. If there is any difference in distance it's inches.
You've given me hope. I guess it's just that they market the covers differently, so I'm skeptical of the fit, but maybe it's really not that bad.
__________________
_____________________________________________
88 YJ Laredo, 4.2, I6, CRT HEI, Weber, Holley FPR, Automatic
Some stainless
Making new, one piece at a time
Other car is a Prius. 😂
dsaylor is offline   Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Jim1992YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsaylor View Post
You've given me hope. I guess it's just that they market the covers differently, so I'm skeptical of the fit, but maybe it's really not that bad.
You could buy a black one for the sport and I've used
Dupli-Color High Performance Vinyl and Fabric Spray on other things. They have a "Desert sand" color. That may void your warranty though. Maybe see if you can find a cheap one on CL.

Maximum adhesion promoter, no primer needed
Fast drying
Won't crack, peel or chip
Works on vinyl and fabric

Its for sale on amazon here for $15.
https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-H.../dp/B000994BSE

or in most auto parts stores i.e. Autozone, Advanced Auto...etc

Heres a video close to how it should turn out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAxOqIKzrY8
Jim1992YJ is offline   Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:45 PM
Thread Starter
  #14
Jeeper
 
dsaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 824
That's an interesting idea. I wouldn't have thought that painting a fabric would be a good idea, but it seem like it may be the way to go. It's probably close enough to the color that it'd look good. I may still check if the family bar deck cover will fit, but this looks good too.

__________________
_____________________________________________
88 YJ Laredo, 4.2, I6, CRT HEI, Weber, Holley FPR, Automatic
Some stainless
Making new, one piece at a time
Other car is a Prius. 😂
dsaylor is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
bestop , deck cover , spice , tonneau

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.