Daily Driver: 4 or 6 Cyl? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Daily Driver: 4 or 6 Cyl?

Hi guys...looking at a gorgeous near mint/stock 1995 YJ but it's a 4 banger. Planning on making it my daily driver and some light off-roading to start. Will also include trips upto 200-250 miles from time to time. Am I crazy to buy the 2.5 engine for this? Should I leave his beauty behind and go straight for a 4.0? Thanks to all!

YESJeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Willheis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 59
Post some pics if you got em. I've got a 95 2.5l and like it pretty good. I pretty drive it everyday 10 miles back and forth to work and take it off-road every now and then. If you're going to be doing a lot of highway driving I'd go with the 4.0. The 2.5 struggles getting up to highway speeds.

Willheis is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:43 PM
Thread Starter
  #3
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YESJeep is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
So obviously a couple body mods. New fenders, seats, wheels and a chrome grill. No engine or lift modifications though


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YESJeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 877
Holy Moly! That's a beaut!

How much?

I do see hills in the background. If you regularly pass through/over them you might not be too impressed with the 2.5. I have a 22 mile commute each way, and it is through rolling hills. I usually have to drop down to 4th and make it over the top at 55 to 60 m.p.h. I don't mind being the slow one though. I enjoy the ride - after all, it's in a classic Jeep no less!
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-JK, 6 spd., 1995 Jeep Wrangler S, 2.5, 4 cyl., 2010 Chrysler 300 Touring/Signature Edition, 2003 2500 SLT, QC, LB, ETH, DEE, 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R (F53/V10/5spd TQShift) 2002 Nissan Xterra 4WD/V6
Other: 2010 Kubota MX4700 with FEL, 1977 Kubota L185.
DryCreek is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Thread Starter
  #6
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Holy Moly! That's a beaut!

How much?

I do see hills in the background. If you regularly pass through/over them you might not be too impressed with the 2.5. I have a 22 mile commute each way, and it is through rolling hills. I usually have to drop down to 4th and make it over the top at 55 to 60 m.p.h. I don't mind being the slow one though. I enjoy the ride - after all, it's in a classic Jeep no less!


$7950. 155K. Manual. Meticulously taken care of. Fair price? I just really don't want to have to worry about freeway driving. I guess I can always do a 4.0 swap right?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YESJeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
mijeeper80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,016
I say no because of the big hills I see and everyone knows the mismatched flares and chrome will never allow you to climb the hills in a 2.5.

All joking aside it doesn't have large tires so you should be just fine. As a stock motor and drivetrain vehicle they sold like hot cakes back in the day and they were driven everywhere everyday. Most of the 2.5's problem is if you add large tires and tons of weight in mods like mine, BUT mine is also a daily driver on 33's and we do fine.

Looks nice! At the right price I would leap on it!!
mijeeper80 is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:15 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
I'm planning on adding a cage and rack on top...but most like wont ever really be lifting it. Not that I don't like the look...I do...but I'm not a rock climber and I prefer max performance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YESJeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
bigearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Redneckistan, NM
Posts: 1,663
When I got my 95 the dealership was asking the same price as the one you say the seller is asking. I talked them down to $7k flat, and took it. Ive had it for a year and a few months now, and daily drive it for 9 months out of the year for 23 miles 5 days a week for school. It was in pretty similar condition as the one you show. It may be slow on hills with 31s, but so what? I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I'd go for it OP.
__________________
Let me tell you about Time Machine: 95 YJ Rio Grande Edition l4 2.5l on 31s stock height springs from GS, Warrior Products .5" shackle lift, Softopper tan soft top, daystar 1" body lift, Spartan locked D30, open D35 with 4.10 gearing
"Time to bust out the honky-tonk attitude"
bigearl is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #10
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
When I got my 95 the dealership was asking the same price as the one you say the seller is asking. I talked them down to $7k flat, and took it. Ive had it for a year and a few months now, and daily drive it for 9 months out of the year for 23 miles 5 days a week for school. It was in pretty similar condition as the one you show. It may be slow on hills with 31s, but so what? I wouldn't trade it for anything else. I'd go for it OP.


Thanks Big Earl!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YESJeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by YESJeep View Post
$7950. 155K. Manual. Meticulously taken care of. Fair price? I just really don't want to have to worry about freeway driving. I guess I can always do a 4.0 swap right?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, fair price is subjective. I'm going out on a limb here and guess that you're in California. If so, then that just might be an excellent price. Here, in Central Texas, it would probably get $6,000 easily. The late-year 94's and 95's are the best when it comes to rust prevention, but still take a look on the underside - if in CA there's no telling if it's been exposed to the beach or salt water.

And, as someone else posted - those look like 29's on there, you should be fine on the highway and for moderate off-roading.

If you want a laugh, call the Jeep dealer in Cleburne Texas and ask how much they want for their 1994 Jeep Sahara. Now, to be fair, it is in great shape (yours is better though) and has a hard top, AC, five speed with the 6 cylinder, and the interior is pretty nice. It has aftermarket front and rear bumpers, the Sahara spare cover, hood locks and full doors. No carpet though. It has the chrome lined grille inserts and is pretty close to being the same color as my 2011 Sahara with the Natural Pearl Coat green (plus it has a khaki hardtop like mine). Still, they were asking $13K! I chuckled and said "no thanks".
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-JK, 6 spd., 1995 Jeep Wrangler S, 2.5, 4 cyl., 2010 Chrysler 300 Touring/Signature Edition, 2003 2500 SLT, QC, LB, ETH, DEE, 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R (F53/V10/5spd TQShift) 2002 Nissan Xterra 4WD/V6
Other: 2010 Kubota MX4700 with FEL, 1977 Kubota L185.
DryCreek is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Yes I live in a beach town in CA. Supposedly no rust.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YESJeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by YESJeep View Post
Yes I live in a beach town in CA. Supposedly no rust.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Always best to check it out in person. Look for signs of new or recent paint, and check areas where salt deposits can linger - such as around the shock towers and spring shackles/perches. Also look up around the fuel tank skid plate, and lift the carpet!
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-JK, 6 spd., 1995 Jeep Wrangler S, 2.5, 4 cyl., 2010 Chrysler 300 Touring/Signature Edition, 2003 2500 SLT, QC, LB, ETH, DEE, 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R (F53/V10/5spd TQShift) 2002 Nissan Xterra 4WD/V6
Other: 2010 Kubota MX4700 with FEL, 1977 Kubota L185.
DryCreek is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:39 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
zig500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oklahoma for now
Posts: 685
i got 2.5 with 31s and bumper look to upgrade not cheap even going with 4.0
zig500 is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Thread Starter
  #15
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig500 View Post
i got 2.5 with 31s and bumper look to upgrade not cheap even going with 4.0


Are saying if I'm planning on adding an external cage and roof rack I should automatically go for a 4.0?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YESJeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:50 PM   #16
Newb
 
AngryKronk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 4
I've only had my 95 2.5L, manual for two weeks now. It's not fast. If my wife didn't have a 6 cylinder JK, I might have been more hesitant purchasing the old 2.5. I was worried it would leave me begging for more horsepower. Granted, it's top speed is likely 75, going down hill, with a tail wind, but I love it. Requires some downshifting here or there, but it is extremely fun and I rarely take interstates. I have no need to go 65+mph in this thing.

I am not typically in a hurry, so it fits me.

Also, super easy to work on.

Lastly, if/when the engine goes out someday, I'll just laugh when it takes $900-$1300 to buy a new I4.
AngryKronk is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:23 PM
Thread Starter
  #17
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Well it looks like ultimately I need a 6cyl...which is sad, cuz this things a beauty. But I have yet to make a final decision!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YESJeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:25 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
zig500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Oklahoma for now
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by YESJeep View Post
Are saying if I'm planning on adding an external cage and roof rack I should automatically go for a 4.0?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
if i know then what i know know i would have looked for a 4.0 it does find in the woods and around town but most jeep trails a a couple hours for me so if i want to take that jeep i will pull it, most of the time it gets left home and the jkur makes the trip
zig500 is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:27 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
bigearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Redneckistan, NM
Posts: 1,663
I wouldnt worry about a roof rack, but and external cage... Why get a cage unless you're making a crawler out of it?!
__________________
Let me tell you about Time Machine: 95 YJ Rio Grande Edition l4 2.5l on 31s stock height springs from GS, Warrior Products .5" shackle lift, Softopper tan soft top, daystar 1" body lift, Spartan locked D30, open D35 with 4.10 gearing
"Time to bust out the honky-tonk attitude"
bigearl is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #20
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 2,831
My 95 yj was a 2.5l. It was a dd for 8 years. My current yj has a 6. Gasmilage is pretty much identical. But the 6 has more power. Which is always nice
Tom95YJ is offline   Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Willheis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Alabama
Posts: 59
That's a good looking jeep! I would go for it, but try to talk the price down a bit.
Willheis is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:31 AM
Thread Starter
  #22
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
I wouldnt worry about a roof rack, but and external cage... Why get a cage unless you're making a crawler out of it?!


A cage is the wrong description I guess. Just something like this...to carry more for camping.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YESJeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
bigearl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Redneckistan, NM
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by YESJeep View Post
A cage is the wrong description I guess. Just something like this...to carry more for camping.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh, I wouldn't worry about something like that. You shouldn't hurt it too bad with a roof rack.
__________________
Let me tell you about Time Machine: 95 YJ Rio Grande Edition l4 2.5l on 31s stock height springs from GS, Warrior Products .5" shackle lift, Softopper tan soft top, daystar 1" body lift, Spartan locked D30, open D35 with 4.10 gearing
"Time to bust out the honky-tonk attitude"
bigearl is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:58 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: High Desert
Posts: 763
Also, do not think because it is in California that we are allowed to drive in either salt water, or on any beaches!!
With the exception of two beaches that I know of, NO ON THE BEACH, and especially NOT in the water is allowed. This is "Kalifornika after all!
Rust here is because of lack of maintenace, not from Beach driving for the most part. Sun burn, or sand blast? YEP!
__________________
Just smokin hot, on the "Hot Rocks Ranch"
slickrock steve is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:38 PM   #25
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 12
I have a 95YJ as well with a 2.5l. Its my daily driver. Last winter I worked at a ski hill in British Columbia, Im Canadian, and drove the YJ 140km round trip 4 days a week. Its very mountainous here and the 2.5l did fine. My YJ has no mods mods to it. So unless youre in the mountains of California I think a 2.5l wouldbe ok. If youre loaded up enjoy the drive, itll be slow going though.
Boogeyman is offline   Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Thread Starter
  #26
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Thanks for all the great advice everyone! And yes this is a pretty jeep but I feel like the 4.0 might be the way to go. I'll let you know what happens!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YESJeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
DryCreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryKronk View Post
I've only had my 95 2.5L, manual for two weeks now. It's not fast. If my wife didn't have a 6 cylinder JK, I might have been more hesitant purchasing the old 2.5. I was worried it would leave me begging for more horsepower. Granted, it's top speed is likely 75, going down hill, with a tail wind, but I love it. Requires some downshifting here or there, but it is extremely fun and I rarely take interstates. I have no need to go 65+mph in this thing.

I am not typically in a hurry, so it fits me.

Also, super easy to work on.

Lastly, if/when the engine goes out someday, I'll just laugh when it takes $900-$1300 to buy a new I4.
Yea, I know what you mean. Our other Jeep, the JK has the much frowned upon 3.8L. The racer-boys with the new 3.6 say it's a dog, even though 90% have never driven one with the 3.8, or if they did, it was one with an auto. If I ever feel that the JK lacks power, I can always take a spin through hill country in the YJ!
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara-JK, 6 spd., 1995 Jeep Wrangler S, 2.5, 4 cyl., 2010 Chrysler 300 Touring/Signature Edition, 2003 2500 SLT, QC, LB, ETH, DEE, 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R (F53/V10/5spd TQShift) 2002 Nissan Xterra 4WD/V6
Other: 2010 Kubota MX4700 with FEL, 1977 Kubota L185.
DryCreek is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:21 AM   #28
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Luckymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SouthEast of Denver
Posts: 9,019
I held out for a 6cyl. It's my (mostly) DD. If I could have found one with a jet engine I would be even happier.

Read the above posts. Some Jeepers are perfectly happy with a 4cyl as a DD. I think it is all about expectations and driving attitude.
The mellow drivers are happy with the 4cyls and drivers like me never have enough.

If everything else seems OK, I suggest you take the Jeep for a VERY long test drive. Take it up some long hills and out on the freeway. Spend a couple or few hours in it.

In Daytona Beach FL, you can drive on the beach (and in the surf if you feel lucky). Folks just drive onto the beach and park and unload their umbrellas and picnic baskets. Much more convenient than parking in a lot and lugging all your stuff to the waters edge.

Good Luck, L.M.
__________________
"Wrangler....It's not just a vehicle, It's a lifestyle".
.................................................. ........................
1987 YJ-4.2L-Standard Shift- Re-manufactured Carter Carb-2" body Lift-31X10.5X15 BFG KOs-190K Miles No back seat.
HEI distributor with computer and all related relays and wiring removed.
12K Badlands winch with dual batteries.
Warn front bumper. Matching imitation Warn bumper on the rear.
Luckymac is offline   Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Thread Starter
  #29
Newb
 
YESJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymac View Post
I held out for a 6cyl. It's my (mostly) DD. If I could have found one with a jet engine I would be even happier.

Read the above posts. Some Jeepers are perfectly happy with a 4cyl as a DD. I think it is all about expectations and driving attitude.
The mellow drivers are happy with the 4cyls and drivers like me never have enough.

If everything else seems OK, I suggest you take the Jeep for a VERY long test drive. Take it up some long hills and out on the freeway. Spend a couple or few hours in it.

In Daytona Beach FL, you can drive on the beach (and in the surf if you feel lucky). Folks just drive onto the beach and park and unload their umbrellas and picnic baskets. Much more convenient than parking in a lot and lugging all your stuff to the waters edge.

Good Luck, L.M.


Sounds like a good enough reason to move to Florida right there! Thanks! I'm definitely holding out for a 4.0 though. The 2.5 just didn't have quite what I needed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YESJeep is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.