Hello, Intro and Questions - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree29Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-17-2019, 07:47 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38
Hello, Intro and Questions

Greetings all, new member here and Im looking for advice as I purchase my new jeep. Most recent was an 03 TJ that got sideswiped by a tractor trailer who decided to make a right hand turn from the center lane. Needless to say my vehicle will most likely get totaled once Im done with the lawsuit against his insurance company. Anyways....

Im obviously looking for a new vehicle, and by new vehicle I mean jeep. In addition to the above mentioned, I've also owned a 99 4 cylinder with an auto tran. Im simply not interested in anything newer than 06, and Im most interested in the YJs over the TJ's to be honest. But...


How well will a YJ do highway? Most of my daily commute is 20 mile drives down the interstate to center city and back. How well will a YJ accomplish this? I understand the 4 cylinders of that age are a little gutless, so they'll do it albeit poorly. I currently cruise around 65-70 in my TJ and have no complaints. I was looking to pull the trigger on a 1990 I found on ebay but the seller was adamant that its not the one for me as its a 4 cylinder with 31" tires and "not made for highway" as he put it in addition to having all terrain tires.


Now Im really not big on creature comforts. My 99 didn't have AC, and I've got two motorcycles that I ride the piss out of- one is a 40 year old shovelhead and the other is a 30 year old hardtail. I don't need to be cuddles when I drive/ride and I much appreciate the simplicity and reliability of simple vehicles over the comfort they offer.


That said, how easy are the YJ's to wrench on in comparison to the TJ's? To be frank, I've never really done any work on either of my jeeps- its almost all been on my motorcycles. Part of my desire for a YJ is the seemingly friendly bay and setup that it offers, at the expense of comfort and performance.


Now I've got some time before the court case and I get my settlement so in the meantime I'm looking at all options and vehicles. If I had it my way, I'd find a black 6 cylinder YJ with hardtop, but Im all ears to any advice and words of wisdom.


Thanks!

SlyJJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:59 PM   #2
THE MIGHTY GRIZZLY!

5-Year WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ. In the Ponderosa Pine Country, where the Bears are hungry..
Posts: 24,336
to the Forum..

__________________
1974 CJ5, 2003 TJ, 2013 2 door Black Rubicon, auto, with 4.10 ratio.
Shaking at 40-70 MPH, Read this!!!

The Mighty Grizzly is not concerned,
with
the needs of the Hunter....


Click here and become a WF supporting Member
Old Dogger is online now   Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Tophog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Between Death Valley and Sin City!
Posts: 411
Welcome from Nevada.
__________________
'90 YJ, 4.2, auto
'93 YJ, 4.0, auto

Moderator - nevadashooters

Custom painters don't screw up . . . they just add more graphics!
Tophog is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-17-2019, 11:27 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
SoCalC101CJYJTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SoCal, Middle of Everywhere
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyJJ View Post
Greetings all, new member here and Im looking for advice as I purchase my new jeep. Most recent was an 03 TJ that got sideswiped by a tractor trailer who decided to make a right hand turn from the center lane. Needless to say my vehicle will most likely get totaled once Im done with the lawsuit against his insurance company. Anyways....

Im obviously looking for a new vehicle, and by new vehicle I mean jeep. In addition to the above mentioned, I've also owned a 99 4 cylinder with an auto tran. Im simply not interested in anything newer than 06, and Im most interested in the YJs over the TJ's to be honest. But...


How well will a YJ do highway? Most of my daily commute is 20 mile drives down the interstate to center city and back. How well will a YJ accomplish this? I understand the 4 cylinders of that age are a little gutless, so they'll do it albeit poorly. I currently cruise around 65-70 in my TJ and have no complaints. I was looking to pull the trigger on a 1990 I found on ebay but the seller was adamant that its not the one for me as its a 4 cylinder with 31" tires and "not made for highway" as he put it in addition to having all terrain tires.


Now Im really not big on creature comforts. My 99 didn't have AC, and I've got two motorcycles that I ride the piss out of- one is a 40 year old shovelhead and the other is a 30 year old hardtail. I don't need to be cuddles when I drive/ride and I much appreciate the simplicity and reliability of simple vehicles over the comfort they offer.


That said, how easy are the YJ's to wrench on in comparison to the TJ's? To be frank, I've never really done any work on either of my jeeps- its almost all been on my motorcycles. Part of my desire for a YJ is the seemingly friendly bay and setup that it offers, at the expense of comfort and performance.


Now I've got some time before the court case and I get my settlement so in the meantime I'm looking at all options and vehicles. If I had it my way, I'd find a black 6 cylinder YJ with hardtop, but Im all ears to any advice and words of wisdom.


Thanks!
My current 4.0/AX-15 YJ has a number of road trips on it between 500-1000 miles. I would drive it anywhere. Although it now has 35ís, they are a recent addition and I have driven hundreds of miles at 75-80 with the 4.56ís and 33ís. I certainly donít baby this thing, and it has seen the high side of 90 a couple of times, GPS verified. The hand throttle makes a great poor manís cruise control.

Also, with the Rubicon Express springs, it rides better than any Harley I have ever owned, from my Ď78 Low Rider through and including my Ď17 Street Glide with Ohlinís all around. If you are ok with riding a hard tail still, a YJ will be right up your alley.

I have owned a few TJís, starting with a Ď99, but I keep coming back to the leaf sprung stuff, which is where I started 40 years ago when every Jeep had leaves.

I recently sold a ďspareĒ 2.5/AX-5 YJ. It now has 31ís and the OEM 4.10ís. It runs and drives good, just a bit of a slug on long ascending grades. 4th gear is your friend, just have to keep it wound up.

That being said, if you only have one, you may want to look for a 4.0. Drive a couple of each, then make a decision. But just do it.
__________________
Ď92 YJ, 4.0, AX15, Jeep Air, Mastercrafts, Bed Rug, Tuffy Tub Enclosure/Console/Hood Lock, Momo Prototipo, RE 4.5Ē, Bilsteinís, SYE, J.E. Reel Driveshaft, Dana 44/30, 4.56ís, E-Locker, M.O.R.E. Steering Box Brace, Metalcloak Fenders/6Ē Flares, Fuel Anzaís, BFG 35x12.50x15 AT2ís, White Knuckle Rock Sliders, Garvin Bumpers/Spare Tire Mount, Tinted Bestop, Bestop Sliders, Warn 9.5ti, Old School KCís, Hella H4ís, Quadratec LED tails.
SoCalC101CJYJTJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalC101CJYJTJ View Post
My current 4.0/AX-15 YJ has a number of road trips on it between 500-1000 miles. I would drive it anywhere. Although it now has 35ís, they are a recent addition and I have driven hundreds of miles at 75-80 with the 4.56ís and 33ís. I certainly donít baby this thing, and it has seen the high side of 90 a couple of times, GPS verified. The hand throttle makes a great poor manís cruise control.

Also, with the Rubicon Express springs, it rides better than any Harley I have ever owned, from my Ď78 Low Rider through and including my Ď17 Street Glide with Ohlinís all around. If you are ok with riding a hard tail still, a YJ will be right up your alley.

I have owned a few TJís, starting with a Ď99, but I keep coming back to the leaf sprung stuff, which is where I started 40 years ago when every Jeep had leaves.

I recently sold a ďspareĒ 2.5/AX-5 YJ. It now has 31ís and the OEM 4.10ís. It runs and drives good, just a bit of a slug on long ascending grades. 4th gear is your friend, just have to keep it wound up.

That being said, if you only have one, you may want to look for a 4.0. Drive a couple of each, then make a decision. But just do it.

Awesome, thank you for your input. Im of the opinion that hard rides are a result of the terrain you're on and not so much the vehicle, barring obvious exceptions. Having had my jeeps and motorcycles, Im just accustomed to bumps and potholes...

I'll probably heed your advice and look exclusively for a 4.0. Any input on what consititutes a "high mileage" YJ engine? My 03 was still going strong at 230k and probably burned a quart every 3k miles. Have you any input comparing wrenching on a YJ vs a TJ?

I know these are crap shoots far as what goes on, but when it comes time for engine rebuilds (however many that may be) is this usually a top end job or do flywheels and cranks need to be rebalanced as well?
SlyJJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:03 AM   #6
Los Angeles

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
JonStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 920
I think we gravitate to what we started out with, same with most anything. In your case, maybe the 4.0 TJ would be the way to go.

If you want a YJ, I would suggest the 93-95, but mostly the 94 and 95, and of course only 4.0.

The TJ OBD2 is going to be easier to take to a mechanic than the YJ OBD1.

I read this forum, TJ and YJ sections, for about 6 months as a guest before buying my YJ. For the most part I felt comfortable working on either but initial out of pocket cost was easier on the YJ. Of course I am slightly biased now, and ignorant having never even been in a TJ, lol.

Welcome to the forum.
__________________
1993 Wrangler YJ MPFI 4.0 HO m/t 5 spd
JonStevens is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
Krangler87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Alasippie
Posts: 203
If you're looking for a daily commuter that rides rough and goes fast, get a Corvette.
strickerje and Tophog like this.
__________________
87 Wrangler
4 banger
5spd
4"lift
33"s
Krangler87 is offline   Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
SoCalC101CJYJTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SoCal, Middle of Everywhere
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyJJ View Post
Awesome, thank you for your input. Im of the opinion that hard rides are a result of the terrain you're on and not so much the vehicle, barring obvious exceptions. Having had my jeeps and motorcycles, Im just accustomed to bumps and potholes...

I'll probably heed your advice and look exclusively for a 4.0. Any input on what consititutes a "high mileage" YJ engine? My 03 was still going strong at 230k and probably burned a quart every 3k miles. Have you any input comparing wrenching on a YJ vs a TJ?

I know these are crap shoots far as what goes on, but when it comes time for engine rebuilds (however many that may be) is this usually a top end job or do flywheels and cranks need to be rebalanced as well?
I always tell people “You can buy anything for a Jeep, except miles”. Once they are on the clock, there is no turning back. Both of my long term “keeper” YJ’s had less than 50k on them when I bought them, but low milers are getting harder to come by now. That being said, I have had several 4.0 YJ’s for short periods of time that were between 180-225k, and ran strong, with little or no leaks. There are some well maintained higher mileage examples out there, and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one in the 150k range as long as it is obviously well maintained.

I have done a few cylinder heads on 150k+ 2.5’s and 4.0’s, with good results, but if you get a 200k one that needs freshened, plan on checking the bore for taper, and honing, ringing, and fresh bearings (assuming the crank mic’s good and will take a polish. 250-280k will generally need a block bore, crank grind, connecting rods resized, etc. in order to start the internal clock over.

Of course these are all subjective miles, as I have seen big mile 250k+ 4.0’s owned by maintenance freaks that were super clean upon disassembly, and conversely, 100k engines that have lost a rod bearing due to lack of maintenance. Filthy oil for long periods of time is a sure killer.

Wrenching on either one is relatively uneventful. Coil Springs, Air Bags, OBDII, just different if you are used to old leaf sprung stuff and nothing more.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStevens View Post
I think we gravitate to what we started out with, same with most anything. In your case, maybe the 4.0 TJ would be the way to go.

If you want a YJ, I would suggest the 93-95, but mostly the 94 and 95, and of course only 4.0.

The TJ OBD2 is going to be easier to take to a mechanic than the YJ OBD1.

I read this forum, TJ and YJ sections, for about 6 months as a guest before buying my YJ. For the most part I felt comfortable working on either but initial out of pocket cost was easier on the YJ. Of course I am slightly biased now, and ignorant having never even been in a TJ, lol.

Welcome to the forum.
They all have vertical slots in the grille Jon!
__________________
Ď92 YJ, 4.0, AX15, Jeep Air, Mastercrafts, Bed Rug, Tuffy Tub Enclosure/Console/Hood Lock, Momo Prototipo, RE 4.5Ē, Bilsteinís, SYE, J.E. Reel Driveshaft, Dana 44/30, 4.56ís, E-Locker, M.O.R.E. Steering Box Brace, Metalcloak Fenders/6Ē Flares, Fuel Anzaís, BFG 35x12.50x15 AT2ís, White Knuckle Rock Sliders, Garvin Bumpers/Spare Tire Mount, Tinted Bestop, Bestop Sliders, Warn 9.5ti, Old School KCís, Hella H4ís, Quadratec LED tails.
SoCalC101CJYJTJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:23 AM
Thread Starter
  #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalC101CJYJTJ View Post
I always tell people ďYou can buy anything for a Jeep, except milesĒ. Once they are on the clock, there is no turning back. Both of my long term ďkeeperĒ YJís had less than 50k on them when I bought them, but low milers are getting harder to come by now. That being said, I have had several 4.0 YJís for short periods of time that were between 180-225k, and ran strong, with little or no leaks. There are some well maintained higher mileage examples out there, and I wouldnít hesitate to buy one in the 150k range as long as it is obviously well maintained.

I have done a few cylinder heads on 150k+ 2.5ís and 4.0ís, with good results, but if you get a 200k one that needs freshened, plan on checking the bore for taper, and honing, ringing, and fresh bearings (assuming the crank micís good and will take a polish. 250-280k will generally need a block bore, crank grind, connecting rods resized, etc. in order to start the internal clock over.

Of course these are all subjective miles, as I have seen big mile 250k+ 4.0ís owned by maintenance freaks that were super clean upon disassembly, and conversely, 100k engines that have lost a rod bearing due to lack of maintenance. Filthy oil for long periods of time is a sure killer.

Wrenching on either one is relatively uneventful. Coil Springs, Air Bags, OBDII, just different if you are used to old leaf sprung stuff and nothing more.




They all have vertical slots in the grille Jon!
Yeah, I understand theres so much subjectivity to these questions and the answers given. It reminds me of when I was stroking out the motor for my 77 shovel. I didn't want to go too long for fear of reliability and my friend says "Your right wrist is the biggest determining factor for any engines reliability." In essence, no one can know what previous owners did therefore no one can say whether any jeep is good or bad a result. Nonetheless, I thank you for your time and help.


So long and short of it is I seem to like the YJ's. I don't know why. I cant put my finger on it, but Im a nostalgic kinda guy. I love the dash. I love the square headlights. I love the sound of them, their tight handling, and their absolute simplicity. I ask all these questions to ensure Im not making a mistake if my heart tells me to buy a YJ

In the search of a new vehicle, a strong current contender is an 04 6 cylinder TJ with 87k on the clock, hardtop, and its absolutely beautiful/ mint. Most importantly, its black and manual. Hes asking $10,500

Now looking at YJs I've come across a few. All the good ones are 2-4 hours away and they've got about 120k miles on them. One is a black renegade used for snow plowing that's been undercoated and looks faily nice. Garage kept, 6 cylinder- just really like the look of it.


Another is one in NY that's got a lot of "new" stuff on it, like clutch, flywheel, exhaust, cpu, etc- apparently done by previous owner. Its really maintained well (on the surface...) with no rust and just looks absolutely beautiful. With 120k miles and asking ~$6k something is telling me its too good to be true. Does that seem reasonable asking price for an absolute mint 89
SlyJJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:28 AM
Thread Starter
  #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38
In essence it sounds as if a much better YJ can be bought for the money I'd otherwise spend on the TJ- upfront at least. For 6k I throw up cash and drive away with (presumably) a really nice YJ that may need a little work over the years but I keep a little more in my savings. For 10k I drain the savings but most likely get something that wont need to be touched or require as much investment throughout the following years. Am I thinking this through clearly/correctly?
SlyJJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:33 AM   #11
Los Angeles

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
JonStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 920
An 89 will be carb, or a swap, or a tbi thingy added. I would not buy an ‘89.
I like the YJ because it is the oldest years without carb. I would have gone older but was just tired of offroading with a carb. I had a 400ci engine but I was limited by the size of my fuel bowl, lol.

Yes, they all have 7 slots, lol, but the YJ just has an idgaf attitude towards it that fits with me. Like the CJs, a YJ can be crumpled in, not matching, primered tub or holes here and there and still look badass. A TJ? I don’t know, they seem to want to look prettier. They TJs on up all seem to look the sameish

Both are going to take your wallet man, but a YJ will take your heart too. (That is a great line, I am going to use that to pick up some old chicks)
PNWYJDOG likes this.
__________________
1993 Wrangler YJ MPFI 4.0 HO m/t 5 spd
JonStevens is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStevens View Post
An 89 will be carb, or a swap, or a tbi thingy added. I would not buy an Ď89.
I like the YJ because it is the oldest years without carb. I would have gone older but was just tired of offroading with a carb. I had a 400ci engine but I was limited by the size of my fuel bowl, lol.

Yes, they all have 7 slots, lol, but the YJ just has an idgaf attitude towards it that fits with me. Like the CJs, a YJ can be crumpled in, not matching, primered tub or holes here and there and still look badass. A TJ? I donít know, they seem to want to look prettier. They TJs on up all seem to look the sameish

Both are going to take your wallet man, but a YJ will take your heart too. (That is a great line, I am going to use that to pick up some old chicks)

Is that the only gripe you've got with the 89 YJs? Just a carb for offroading? If it helps any, I've got no intentions of off roading with this vehicle.


Im totally with you about the "unique" look of the YJ's. I cant leave my bikes alone, for example. I need to make it "mine" and look unique. Maybe that's what Im seeing when I look at these YJ's because even the beautiful 04 in all black that I mentioned just seems to lack the character I see from these older ones....


But the 89 seems to be in really good shape, seller sent over the Carfax and vin. Only catch was a color change, from yellow to black last year. Im tempted to go take a look at it and possibly buy it. In a perfect world I'd have my settlement $$$ from my accident right now.

Id imagine that for the $10500 being asked for the 04- if I spent 6500 on the 89, I'd have to have $4k in repairs hidden somewhere just to get me back to even. If both were "equal" in quality, I'd still prefer the YJ


Im trying to get as many pros and cons as I can from everyone. Thank you for your insight.
SlyJJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
Los Angeles

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
JonStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 920
Wasn’t a gripe, lol.
But on a plus side, because most want the FI, the carb is a great selling point for you. I am sure no one banging down his door, maybe shoot low.

This is a long thread for not having pictures...just saying.
rushwal likes this.
__________________
1993 Wrangler YJ MPFI 4.0 HO m/t 5 spd
JonStevens is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:23 PM   #14
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Got it at last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyJJ View Post
Yeah, I understand theres so much subjectivity to these questions and the answers given. It reminds me of when I was stroking out the motor for my 77 shovel. I didn't want to go too long for fear of reliability and my friend says "Your right wrist is the biggest determining factor for any engines reliability." In essence, no one can know what previous owners did therefore no one can say whether any jeep is good or bad a result. Nonetheless, I thank you for your time and help.


So long and short of it is I seem to like the YJ's. I don't know why. I cant put my finger on it, but Im a nostalgic kinda guy. I love the dash. I love the square headlights. I love the sound of them, their tight handling, and their absolute simplicity. I ask all these questions to ensure Im not making a mistake if my heart tells me to buy a YJ

In the search of a new vehicle, a strong current contender is an 04 6 cylinder TJ with 87k on the clock, hardtop, and its absolutely beautiful/ mint. Most importantly, its black and manual. Hes asking $10,500

Now looking at YJs I've come across a few. All the good ones are 2-4 hours away and they've got about 120k miles on them. One is a black renegade used for snow plowing that's been undercoated and looks faily nice. Garage kept, 6 cylinder- just really like the look of it.


Another is one in NY that's got a lot of "new" stuff on it, like clutch, flywheel, exhaust, cpu, etc- apparently done by previous owner. Its really maintained well (on the surface...) with no rust and just looks absolutely beautiful. With 120k miles and asking ~$6k something is telling me its too good to be true. Does that seem reasonable asking price for an absolute mint 89
I'd have already bought it, If it is a 4.2l 6 not 2.5l 4. But that doesn't sound like either of what your looking for in the Motor Dept.
__________________
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Magnaflow Exhaust. BA-10, NP231, Adams front Diveshaft, SYE kit, 31x 10.5 x15 BFG KO's, 2 1/2" Rancho Spring kit, 1" Body Lift. RS5000x shocks, No emissions.

FSM Manuals https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0vfmk6jc5...v7lceZk7a?dl=0
Got it at last is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:27 PM
Thread Starter
  #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38
Here is the leading contender. Ballpark 6500. No ac. Not a dealbreaker but ac kits can be had for about $1k yes? 4.2 engine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C5A1BD9B-0825-428B-ACA6-05A1C80915CC_1560979530925.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	4158621   Click image for larger version

Name:	C5AC9017-E162-47DB-A784-8DD612338D21_1560979544841.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	4158623  

Click image for larger version

Name:	06205EC3-C7EB-4DED-BB79-B3B8E125E673_1560979561764.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	4158625   Click image for larger version

Name:	B69E767E-4D6A-4C7D-A93D-0F7EC15621C6_1560979582272.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	4158627  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AEF889D0-AEE1-4C90-83A5-3CA48A50CB32_1560979602790.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	4158629  
rushwal likes this.
SlyJJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Thread Starter
  #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38
And here is a renegade I was looking at 1993. Similar miles as the 89. Used as a plow, owner claims it was garaged it’s whole life. This one *does* have AC.

This ones asking for 8k but if he sells without the plow I might be able to get him closer in price to the 89.

What say you? Either or- neither?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E7EEB861-107F-415E-A11E-B65CCCA15968_1560980103241.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	4158631   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4A6A0AC-4692-4394-85C4-E9CA67592558_1560980121522.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	4158633  

Click image for larger version

Name:	49662ABB-5E06-430F-8F65-00E1F79B2E3C_1560980135538.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	4158635   Click image for larger version

Name:	A249B962-0509-4CC1-AF63-D376354620A2_1560980147755.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	4158637  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2B59B7C2-61CE-4A95-BC2C-F7D2A666B1D0_1560980165349.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	4158639  
SlyJJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #17
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Got it at last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 1,437
I'm still not sure why you haven't picked up the 89 yet. But then I'm kinda partial to that year for sentimental reasons
SlyJJ likes this.
__________________
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Magnaflow Exhaust. BA-10, NP231, Adams front Diveshaft, SYE kit, 31x 10.5 x15 BFG KO's, 2 1/2" Rancho Spring kit, 1" Body Lift. RS5000x shocks, No emissions.

FSM Manuals https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0vfmk6jc5...v7lceZk7a?dl=0
Got it at last is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:59 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
dsaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 790
The 89 would probably have been in my driveway by now.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Got it at last likes this.
__________________
_____________________________________________
88 YJ Laredo, 4.2, I6, CRT HEI, Weber, Holley FPR, Automatic
Some stainless
Making new, one piece at a time
Other car is a Prius. 😂
dsaylor is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #19
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Got it at last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 1,437
I notice he didn't post the craigslist site, smart man.....
dsaylor and SlyJJ like this.
__________________
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Magnaflow Exhaust. BA-10, NP231, Adams front Diveshaft, SYE kit, 31x 10.5 x15 BFG KO's, 2 1/2" Rancho Spring kit, 1" Body Lift. RS5000x shocks, No emissions.

FSM Manuals https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0vfmk6jc5...v7lceZk7a?dl=0
Got it at last is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
dsaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got it at last View Post
I notice he didn't post the craigslist site, smart man.....


Haha. Very smart.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
SlyJJ likes this.
__________________
_____________________________________________
88 YJ Laredo, 4.2, I6, CRT HEI, Weber, Holley FPR, Automatic
Some stainless
Making new, one piece at a time
Other car is a Prius. 😂
dsaylor is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:53 PM
Thread Starter
  #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got it at last View Post
I'm still not sure why you haven't picked up the 89 yet. But then I'm kinda partial to that year for sentimental reasons
Probably because its effing beautiful, and the only thing that could make it better is AC- which is easily added. Its one of those "is this too good to be true?" type things.

But at this point, frankly Im sold. Guy with the renegade says he wouldn't budge on price. Not that I don't think its not a jeep worthy of that number, but I've got a better deal on this one and its a closer drive as well.

All I need to do is go take it for a drive and see how she responds on the highway. She doesn't need to do it great (its a jeep...) she just needs to do it. If she does, shes coming home with me....
Got it at last likes this.
SlyJJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 22
I have a 95, 4.0 5 spd YJ and I drive it to work regularly, 45 miles one way. 4inch lift on 33s. About 60-65 is cruising speed. Its a YJ so a little lose but I drive it anywhere. Im no mechanic and Ive been able to do all the work on it that it has needed. Im also of the mindset, I liked simplicity and function. It does both. You will sacrifice on comfort but Im ok with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nj4.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	4158731  
SlyJJ likes this.
FireFish11 is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #23
bp1
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
bp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyJJ View Post
Probably because its effing beautiful, and the only thing that could make it better is AC- which is easily added..
Only time I turn my AC on is to see if it still works. If it is warm enuff for AC you wont have any doors/windows on it.
__________________
1992 Wrangler Sahara YJ
bp1 is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:55 PM
Thread Starter
  #24
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFish11 View Post
I have a 95, 4.0 5 spd YJ and I drive it to work regularly, 45 miles one way. 4inch lift on 33s. About 60-65 is cruising speed. Its a YJ so a little lose but I drive it anywhere. Im no mechanic and Ive been able to do all the work on it that it has needed. Im also of the mindset, I liked simplicity and function. It does both. You will sacrifice on comfort but Im ok with that.
You read my mind. That's exactly my line of thinking
SlyJJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:56 PM
Thread Starter
  #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1 View Post
Only time I turn my AC on is to see if it still works. If it is warm enuff for AC you wont have any doors/windows on it.

To be fair if its warm enough to take the top off Im probably on my bike.
My 99 didn't have AC. The times it becomes annoying is during humid rain storms in the summer....
bp1 likes this.
SlyJJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 08:54 AM
Thread Starter
  #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38
So apparently its got a racing steering wheel, so theres no horn. Are there options/aftermarkets for horns that are relocated from the steering wheel, or do I need to buy another steering wheel?
SlyJJ is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #27
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Got it at last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 1,437
Can't tell for sure from the pic because it doesn't enlarge very well, but it kinda looks like a GRANT wheel, they make horn kits for their wheels, or, they have a nice varietyof wheels from $50 (Meh) to a couple bills for wow, that swap out easy enough.

But I'm gonna go ahead and tell you this now. No matter what you decide to pick up, The first thing you want to get into is a head to toe inspection of all your Mechanical, Safety, and Fluids. If you get a meticulously cared for rig you're fortunate, Maintenance on a 30 yr old Jeep is a Part of Ownership, do it right and your Jeep will serve you well, do it wrong or not at all and you will shorten it's lifespan, leave you stranded, or worse yet get you or others hurt.

Make a list of anything you see needing done, ask questions, and do your research before you go online and start shopping. Every Jeeper does something to personalize their rig to make it their own, It's part of the fun, But there are differences in the models and years that are not always common knowledge, and getting the right part the first time doesn't always happen.

In the case of the 89 you're looking at, It has had a lot of high dollar mods done so I would imagine the owner took pretty good care of everything and you will be miles ahead. But if he did sloppy installs, you may be in for a few reworks. Not trying to scare you off by any means, I just wish I knew what I know now when I first bought mine before I dumped a bunch of cash on cheaper stuff that I've since replaced with the right equipment.


Still not sure why that 89 isn't in your driveway yet. LOL
SlyJJ likes this.
__________________
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Magnaflow Exhaust. BA-10, NP231, Adams front Diveshaft, SYE kit, 31x 10.5 x15 BFG KO's, 2 1/2" Rancho Spring kit, 1" Body Lift. RS5000x shocks, No emissions.

FSM Manuals https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0vfmk6jc5...v7lceZk7a?dl=0
Got it at last is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #28
Moderator

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Luckymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SouthEast of Denver
Posts: 8,075
If you plan on off-roading it, be aware that the Renegade fenders are easily damaged and there are no new replacements available. Used Renegade parts are really, really expensive.

That leaves the '89.

I'd have it home already if it drives out well. I have a carb and no issues, but I don't do the extreme stuff.

Good Luck, L.M.
Got it at last and SlyJJ like this.
__________________
"Wrangler....It's not just a vehicle, It's a lifestyle".
.................................................. ........................
1987 YJ-4.2L-Standard Shift- Re-manufactured Carter Carb-2" body Lift-31X10.5X15 BFG KOs-190K Miles No back seat.
HEI distributor with computer and all related relays and wiring removed.
12K Badlands winch with dual batteries.
Warn front bumper. Matching imitation Warn bumper on the rear.
Luckymac is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:02 AM   #29
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Got it at last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 1,437
FWIW, Luckymac is one of the Several Posters on here that has helped school me in patience, research and doing the job right the first time over the last few years. Saved me a lot of Time, Money and Headaches.

Thanks L.M. if I haven't said it lately.
gat and SlyJJ like this.
__________________
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Magnaflow Exhaust. BA-10, NP231, Adams front Diveshaft, SYE kit, 31x 10.5 x15 BFG KO's, 2 1/2" Rancho Spring kit, 1" Body Lift. RS5000x shocks, No emissions.

FSM Manuals https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0vfmk6jc5...v7lceZk7a?dl=0
Got it at last is offline   Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #30
Jeeper
 
SoCalC101CJYJTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: SoCal, Middle of Everywhere
Posts: 231
It’s a shame that ‘93 is a Renegade. 4.0/AX-15, A/C, Hardtop, some nice pieces, other than the fenders.

__________________
Ď92 YJ, 4.0, AX15, Jeep Air, Mastercrafts, Bed Rug, Tuffy Tub Enclosure/Console/Hood Lock, Momo Prototipo, RE 4.5Ē, Bilsteinís, SYE, J.E. Reel Driveshaft, Dana 44/30, 4.56ís, E-Locker, M.O.R.E. Steering Box Brace, Metalcloak Fenders/6Ē Flares, Fuel Anzaís, BFG 35x12.50x15 AT2ís, White Knuckle Rock Sliders, Garvin Bumpers/Spare Tire Mount, Tinted Bestop, Bestop Sliders, Warn 9.5ti, Old School KCís, Hella H4ís, Quadratec LED tails.
SoCalC101CJYJTJ is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC