I've been in that seat before with Bestop. The original replacement top will NOT work with their frame, so you are stuck. re-stitching zippers is a good cheap repair and works well, I also recommend braided/ monofilament/ UV resistant thread (headliner thread and needles work great). This however does NOT work well on blown seems, the buffeting from driving down the road will rip those out in minutes flat.
Here are some options:
- Go with generic OEM style and check local ads/ Craigslist/ junkyards for original soft top frame. I DO NOT recommend the Smittybuilt top due to weak zippers (not YKK).
- Be sure to select the right one, there are several types (for full doors, half doors with squared uppers, and half doors with rounder uppers).
Also, Replacement OEM style frames are on Amazon for about $300 (Link: http://amzn.com/B000FPY59W
) and OEM style replacement skins for another $300 so that your NEXT top will only be $300
- Go with the Bestop replacement top skins for about $480
- Go with the bowless system (Home page
) for about the same, $450.
- Find someone who has a slightly less screwed up top for sale.
Hope this helps.