Overhead CB mount around sound bar? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree25Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-28-2019, 09:41 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
RichnSteph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Marcos, Texas
Posts: 284
Overhead CB mount around sound bar?

Any of you folks build your own CB mount for an over head install? Trying to locate my mid 90's Cobra 29 LTD up top and don't want to pay for a pre-built one since the CB cost less than $50.


RichnSteph

steves92 and mdgilbreath like this.
__________________
91 Renegade, 4.0, 5 speed, 68,000 miles at buy in, 75,000 so far and counting. 2.5" spring and 31's are the only upgrades.
RichnSteph is offline   Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #2
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Luckymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SouthEast of Denver
Posts: 8,575
A Smittybilt console is around $130.00 and has a space to mount a DIN sized radio. If you have a radio in the stock location and don't have a console, you might consider the Smittybilt.
Probably more money than you were thinking about spending, but it gives you a steel locking console with an armrest.

Good Luck, L.M.
RichnSteph and vmxwinn like this.

__________________
"Wrangler....It's not just a vehicle, It's a lifestyle".
.................................................. ........................
1987 YJ-4.2L-Standard Shift- Re-manufactured Carter Carb-2" body Lift-31X10.5X15 BFG KOs-190K Miles No back seat.
HEI distributor with computer and all related relays and wiring removed.
12K Badlands winch with dual batteries.
Warn front bumper. Matching imitation Warn bumper on the rear.
Luckymac is offline   Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
agalloch07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,485
Having it mounted overhead sounds annoying because of cords dangling in front of the rear view mirror. And a possible scalper if you were involved in a serious accident.

I used to have a cheap Uniden mounted under my dash but i never really used it and i had to deal with big stupid antennas. Everyone i wheel with has switched over to Baofeng radios and i just clip mine to the sun visor. It picks up police/emergency channels, noaa weather and anything else you want to program into it on 2 meter or 70 centimeter bands and it picks up FM radio channels. You can get a UV-5R for $20 and a battery delete for about $7 to plug it into your cigarette lighter.
steves92 and RichnSteph like this.
__________________
94, 4.0/NV4500/NP231HD w/JB Conversions super short SYE, 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, JKS 1.25" body lift, Dana 489's w/OX lockers 4.88 gears, Tom Woods drveshafts, 35" BFG KM3's, WFO boomerang shackles, Warn XD9000 winch, Doug Thorley header, JBA mid pipe, Borla cat back.
agalloch07 is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-28-2019, 10:25 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
RichnSteph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: San Marcos, Texas
Posts: 284
Yeah I know that there are some better options out there for newer CB/coms but I like the old monster Cobras and since my rear view mirror fell off 3 months ago I've not really missed it. I truly like the nostalgia of older things which is part of the reason I'm also installing an OEM radio in there. I like the original look of the interior and any add-ons (I.E.CB, lights, gauges) should, in my opinion and in my Jeep, be period correct.

Yes.... I'm one of "those people".

RichnSteph
__________________
91 Renegade, 4.0, 5 speed, 68,000 miles at buy in, 75,000 so far and counting. 2.5" spring and 31's are the only upgrades.
RichnSteph is offline   Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:54 PM   #5
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Got it at last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymac View Post
A Smittybilt console is around $130.00 and has a space to mount a DIN sized radio. If you have a radio in the stock location and don't have a console, you might consider the Smittybilt.
Probably more money than you were thinking about spending, but it gives you a steel locking console with an armrest.

Good Luck, L.M.

Out of Site, Out of Mind... I try not to leave anything in plain site so as not to entice anyone to "borrow" it....
__________________
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Magnaflow Exhaust. BA-10, NP231, Adams front Diveshaft, SYE kit, 31x 10.5 x15 BFG KO's, 2 1/2" RE Springs, 1" Body Lift. RS5000x shocks, Hella H-4's, No emissions.

FSM Manuals https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0vfmk6jc5...v7lceZk7a?dl=0
Got it at last is offline   Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:00 PM   #6
Los Angeles

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
JonStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSteph View Post
Yeah I know that there are some better options out there for newer CB/coms but I like the old monster Cobras and since my rear view mirror fell off 3 months ago I've not really missed it. I truly like the nostalgia of older things which is part of the reason I'm also installing an OEM radio in there. I like the original look of the interior and any add-ons (I.E.CB, lights, gauges) should, in my opinion and in my Jeep, be period correct.

Yes.... I'm one of "those people".

RichnSteph
Hate to break it to you, but we are all "those people", lol. As you get older you will become one of "Those effing people"!
Tophog, RichnSteph and vmxwinn like this.
__________________
1993 Wrangler YJ MPFI 4.0 HO m/t 5 spd
JonStevens is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:23 AM   #7
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Luckymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SouthEast of Denver
Posts: 8,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStevens View Post
Hate to break it to you, but we are all "those people", lol. As you get older you will become one of "Those effing people"!

"WHO?....ME?"

Good Luck, L.M.
Luckymac is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
mdgilbreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Carthge,Tennessee
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSteph View Post
Any of you folks build your own CB mount for an over head install? Trying to locate my mid 90's Cobra 29 LTD up top and don't want to pay for a pre-built one since the CB cost less than $50.





RichnSteph


Made my own mounting bracket out of L brackets. I get some photos posted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mdgilbreath is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:07 AM   #9
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
MannyN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Sun City CA
Posts: 383
That would be a hell of a ticket here in CA.
agalloch07 and vmxwinn like this.
__________________
1995 YJ. That's it...from Jeep. 5.3L Chevy LM7, 4L60e, NV233C Transfer Case with electronic Shift, 2.5" RC Lift. 8.8 Ford Rear with Yucon Posi Grip, 4.10 Gears, 33x12.5x15 KM2's. Marshall Instruments Gauges, Sick Speed Racing Seats.
MannyN is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:51 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: VTA
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSteph View Post
Yeah I know that there are some better options out there for newer CB/coms but I like the old monster Cobras and since my rear view mirror fell off 3 months ago I've not really missed it. I truly like the nostalgia of older things which is part of the reason I'm also installing an OEM radio in there. I like the original look of the interior and any add-ons (I.E.CB, lights, gauges) should, in my opinion and in my Jeep, be period correct.

Yes.... I'm one of "those people".

RichnSteph
Yeah and nothing works like those old ones especially if they're "tweaked and peaked".

If you unscrew the ashtray/cig lighter assembly and slide it over towards the glove box it leave a perfectly sized space for a 29LTD.

steves92 and RichnSteph like this.
__________________
1988 YJ Sahara 4.2L 5spd,8.8/D30 w/4.10s, 33/10.5/15KO2s, TONS of tunes,Warn 5k winch, Body Armor rear bumper/tire rack. Spicer SYE, Procomp 4" lift kit,
Sahara805 is online now   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:02 PM   #11
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Luckymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SouthEast of Denver
Posts: 8,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgilbreath View Post
Made my own mounting bracket out of L brackets. I get some photos posted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyN View Post
That would be a hell of a ticket here in CA.
I wouldn't worry so much about a ticket, I'd worry about running someone over.

Besides, I don't have enough hair to even think about leaving a brush on my dash.

Good Luck, L.M.
Luckymac is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:32 PM   #12
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
Arizona Rocky Road is what I use in my TJ and YJ http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/radiomounts.html



Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 35.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	4172305


Those Baofeng radios have nothing on my Cobra 29 dead keys 30 and swings over 40 watts. On top of that, the Baofengs will not be sold in the United States after the end of September 2019 because they do not comply with FCC regulations. If you are caught operating one without a ham license you will be fined up to $10,000 if you caught selling them it can be up to a $147,000 fine
RichnSteph likes this.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:53 PM   #13
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Luckymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SouthEast of Denver
Posts: 8,575
For a comprehensive and confusing explanation search "Baofeng radios illegal".

I'm sure they're much greater sins than operating a hand held radio outside the legal frequencies and power limits that aren't being prosecuted.
It seems that some uses are legal and other uses are illegal with the same hand held radio if I read the articles correctly.

Good Luck, L.M.
Luckymac is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:12 PM   #14
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
Believe me, I have done the research after one of my club members told me that these radios will not be sold in the USA after 9/19. Try these articles and the many others that will say the same thing. The Baofengs UV 5 are not FCC part 90 compliant.

https://hackaday.com/2018/09/25/buy-...-transmitters/


https://www.kb6nu.com/did-the-fcc-ju...ort-answer-no/


https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog...ay-radios.html


https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-801A1.pdf


http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-cites-b...zed-rf-devices


That's just 5 articles on the subject... If remember I did say "if" a person was caught.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
OlYellerTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East of the CT River
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSteph View Post
Any of you folks build your own CB mount for an over head install? Trying to locate my mid 90's Cobra 29 LTD up top and don't want to pay for a pre-built one since the CB cost less than $50.
RichnSteph
OP, I used radiator hose clamps to secure my CB bracket to the roll bar in front of the soundbar. It sits centered behind and between the front seats. I'm hard of hearing, and even on the interstate I can hear it tolerably well; with no problem hearing it in the woods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180821_071438_1534878730973.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	4172327  
__________________
This message is composed of recycled electrons. None of these electrons has been harmed or injured in the creation and transmission of this message but they have been shamelessly exploited for this use.

Ol' Yeller TJ
OlYellerTJ is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
mdgilbreath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Carthge,Tennessee
Posts: 85
Overhead CB mount around sound bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymac View Post
I wouldn't worry so much about a ticket, I'd worry about running someone over.



Besides, I don't have enough hair to even think about leaving a brush on my dash.
No problems seeing at all.



Good Luck, L.M.


Well Iím in rural middle Tennessee. You could not pay me to live in California. The brush is for the beard I shave my head and no trouble seeing at all either.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leadnut likes this.
mdgilbreath is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
agalloch07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12b View Post
Believe me, I have done the research after one of my club members told me that these radios will not be sold in the USA after 9/19. Try these articles and the many others that will say the same thing. The Baofengs UV 5 are not FCC part 90 compliant.

https://hackaday.com/2018/09/25/buy-...-transmitters/


https://www.kb6nu.com/did-the-fcc-ju...ort-answer-no/


https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog...ay-radios.html


https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-801A1.pdf


FCC Cites Baofeng Importer for Illegally Marketing Unauthorized RF Devices


That's just 5 articles on the subject... If remember I did say "if" a person was caught.

I have heard they are going to ban them but right now they do have an FCC certification. I have several UV-5R's and a a BF-F8HP and i absolutely LOVE them they are a hell of a radio for $20. They are technically illegal to use to transmit on FRS frequencies but as long as your not being a nuisance you are fine. I would not be operating them on ham repeaters without a license that is a quick way to piss people off. As long as you fly under the radar you will be fine and they are a hell of a lot more useful than a CB.
__________________
94, 4.0/NV4500/NP231HD w/JB Conversions super short SYE, 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, JKS 1.25" body lift, Dana 489's w/OX lockers 4.88 gears, Tom Woods drveshafts, 35" BFG KM3's, WFO boomerang shackles, Warn XD9000 winch, Doug Thorley header, JBA mid pipe, Borla cat back.
agalloch07 is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #18
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Got it at last's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch07 View Post
I have heard they are going to ban them but right now they do have an FCC certification. I have several UV-5R's and a a BF-F8HP and i absolutely LOVE them they are a hell of a radio for $20. They are technically illegal to use to transmit on FRS frequencies but as long as your not being a nuisance you are fine. I would not be operating them on ham repeaters without a license that is a quick way to piss people off. As long as you fly under the radar you will be fine and they are a hell of a lot more useful than a CB.
Still on Amazon right now, but I see the prices have about doubled since I bought mine a couple years ago.
__________________
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Magnaflow Exhaust. BA-10, NP231, Adams front Diveshaft, SYE kit, 31x 10.5 x15 BFG KO's, 2 1/2" RE Springs, 1" Body Lift. RS5000x shocks, Hella H-4's, No emissions.

FSM Manuals https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0vfmk6jc5...v7lceZk7a?dl=0
Got it at last is offline   Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
agalloch07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got it at last View Post
Still on Amazon right now, but I see the prices have about doubled since I bought mine a couple years ago.



They are more expensive on Amazon it is the worst place to buy them ebay has them for $20. The more expensive 8 watt BF-F8HP is overall nicer than the $20 UV-5R but it is a overall nicer radio with better build quality. I keep a cheap UV-5R in my jeep though
__________________
94, 4.0/NV4500/NP231HD w/JB Conversions super short SYE, 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, JKS 1.25" body lift, Dana 489's w/OX lockers 4.88 gears, Tom Woods drveshafts, 35" BFG KM3's, WFO boomerang shackles, Warn XD9000 winch, Doug Thorley header, JBA mid pipe, Borla cat back.
agalloch07 is offline   Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:57 AM   #20
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch07 View Post
I have heard they are going to ban them but right now they do have an FCC certification. I have several UV-5R's and a a BF-F8HP and i absolutely LOVE them they are a hell of a radio for $20. They are technically illegal to use to transmit on FRS frequencies but as long as your not being a nuisance you are fine. I would not be operating them on ham repeaters without a license that is a quick way to piss people off. As long as you fly under the radar you will be fine and they are a hell of a lot more useful than a CB.
NO, They are no FCC part 90 compliant as that includes the power output with the UV5 pushing 4 watts and the BF8 has up to 8 watts. The maximum power output for these radios is 1.78 watts according to FCC part 90.
They can also be programmed to operate on frequencies that are a major NO NO to be on that is also against FCC part 90.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
agalloch07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12b View Post
NO, They are no FCC part 90 compliant as that includes the power output with the UV5 pushing 4 watts and the BF8 has up to 8 watts. The maximum power output for these radios is 1.78 watts according to FCC part 90.
They can also be programmed to operate on frequencies that are a major NO NO to be on that is also against FCC part 90.



The UV5 is 5 watts and are technically illegal to transmit on some FRS channels. As long as you have a license you can transmit on ham channels or even get a license for your own personal channel if you have the money. Or just listen to channels and not transmit at all which is what i do the majority of the time. I listen to local police channels especially in the winter when road conditions are bad to overhear what roads conditions are like and how many people are in ditches.



You can still buy other radios like the Baofeng but instead of paying $20 you will be paying $150+ https://www.gigaparts.com/yaesu-ft-60r.html#


__________________
94, 4.0/NV4500/NP231HD w/JB Conversions super short SYE, 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, JKS 1.25" body lift, Dana 489's w/OX lockers 4.88 gears, Tom Woods drveshafts, 35" BFG KM3's, WFO boomerang shackles, Warn XD9000 winch, Doug Thorley header, JBA mid pipe, Borla cat back.
agalloch07 is offline   Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:46 AM   #22
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch07 View Post
The UV5 is 5 watts and are technically illegal to transmit on some FRS channels. As long as you have a license you can transmit on ham channels or even get a license for your own personal channel if you have the money. Or just listen to channels and not transmit at all which is what I do the majority of the time. I listen to local police channels especially in the winter when road conditions are bad to overhear what roads conditions are like and how many people are in ditches.
The UV5 is 1-watt(low) or 4-watts(high) user-selectable in the settings mode of the radio. This in itself makes the UV5 FCC part 90 non-compliant, not to mention the non-compliant frequencies that are programmed from the factory such as Marine Channels, Aircraft channels, First Responder channels, FRS/GRMS frequencies, wide and narrowband(narrow is the only one being part 90 compliant) user-selectable and more. With the Chirp program and the correct connections many other frequencies can be added also not part 90 compliant.
Check out this page directly from the Baofeng UV5 owners manual. Look at the Transmitter section

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-08-30 Baofeng UV-5R Manual - BaoFeng_UV-5R_Manual pdf.png
Views:	12
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	4172399


I agree with the guy on that video but you know just as well as I there are folks that will get on those freq's and screw it up even for licensed ham operators. That's why the FCC is attempting to limit these radios.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
agalloch07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12b View Post
The UV5 is 1-watt(low) or 4-watts(high) user-selectable in the settings mode of the radio. This in itself makes the UV5 FCC part 90 non-compliant, not to mention the non-compliant frequencies that are programmed from the factory such as Marine Channels, Aircraft channels, First Responder channels, FRS/GRMS frequencies, wide and narrowband(narrow is the only one being part 90 compliant) user-selectable and more. With the Chirp program and the correct connections many other frequencies can be added also not part 90 compliant.
Check out this page directly from the Baofeng UV5 owners manual. Look at the Transmitter section

Attachment 4172399



I just looked in one of my UV-5R manuals and it does say it is 4 watt which is odd because they are all sold at being 5 watt online.

I have 5 Baofengs and i dont remember any of them were programed with anything from the factory. I just use it as a walkie talkie on FRS channels when i go on trail rides because it is what everyone uses. The rest of the time i just use them as a police scanner, listen to NOAA weather or use it as a fishing radio when i take my boat out. Seems ridiculous to ban them but because someone could use it to do something illegal. I might buy a few more before they are gone forever.
__________________
94, 4.0/NV4500/NP231HD w/JB Conversions super short SYE, 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, JKS 1.25" body lift, Dana 489's w/OX lockers 4.88 gears, Tom Woods drveshafts, 35" BFG KM3's, WFO boomerang shackles, Warn XD9000 winch, Doug Thorley header, JBA mid pipe, Borla cat back.
agalloch07 is offline   Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:48 PM   #24
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by agalloch07 View Post
I just looked in one of my UV-5R manuals and it does say it is 4 watt which is odd because they are all sold at being 5 watt online.

I have 5 Baofengs and i dont remember any of them were programed with anything from the factory. I just use it as a walkie talkie on FRS channels when i go on trail rides because it is what everyone uses. The rest of the time i just use them as a police scanner, listen to NOAA weather or use it as a fishing radio when i take my boat out. Seems ridiculous to ban them but because someone could use it to do something illegal. I might buy a few more before they are gone forever.
I also have two UV5's just because the younger folks in the club don't care enough to learn how to set up a CB properly, they just want easy. In the terrain we run everyone that runs CB's has no problem communicating but those Baofengs are not happy in the hills and mountains. Matter of fact with the longer antenna at my house they are useless as a weather radio, but the Cobra 29 LX's have no problem picking up the NOAA radio even a couple of them from Georgia some 40-50 miles away. I have removed everything that was programmed into the UV5 except the club freq's and slowly but surely will get every members done the same way.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #25
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
I found it, I did save it just forgot where I saved it to.



The latest from FCC on handheld Ham Radios



DA-18-980A1_Rcd.pdf
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
agalloch07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,485
I never had my CB tuned but it would barely reach a mile. I have read that it's best to have the antenna attached to a truck bed or a trunk lid or metal roof for best reception and getting reception on the back corner of a jeep was a pain. I dont know how true this is but my $60 uniden and firestick antenna sucked. And having it mounted under the dash pointed the speaker at the floor so it was very hard if not impossible to hear anything being transmitted unless the jeep was not running.

Also after a few years of hosing it out and water splashing up in the radio it died. If it was mounted up high it would have been easier to hear and would not have gotten wet but i just dont want big metal bars running across my roll bar to hold a cheap radio and cables blocking my view. If i didn't have a Baofeng i would just have a Motorola walkie talkie the CB just did not work for me and no one i wheeled with had one to communicate with anyways they all use Motorolas.
__________________
94, 4.0/NV4500/NP231HD w/JB Conversions super short SYE, 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, JKS 1.25" body lift, Dana 489's w/OX lockers 4.88 gears, Tom Woods drveshafts, 35" BFG KM3's, WFO boomerang shackles, Warn XD9000 winch, Doug Thorley header, JBA mid pipe, Borla cat back.
agalloch07 is offline   Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Gottagofast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 7,470
Well if you wheel w me my cb will be on ch10 I get several miles on flat ground but 99% of the time I can see the person I'm talking to....
If they don't have a cb I'll flip over to pa
mdgilbreath likes this.
__________________
I come in peace.... I mean you no harm
Currently in the stable: .....97 tj 2.5 5 speed stock... 97 tj 4.0 5 speed stock....04 tj 4.0 auto 4" and 33's... 98 tj roller for future build... 94 yj sahara 4.5" RE and 33's... 92 yj sbc 3/4 ton axles and 38's... Cj5,7,yj,xj,ex mud dragster project

TJ dash speakers that actually rock! Kicker sub and amp in center console
Gottagofast is offline   Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:02 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
wookiedave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 62
Speaking of CB’s...I am having trouble getting mine to work. It’s on and everything seems to be installed correctly but I get nothing but static. I live super close to the interstate and there are big rigs all around and I don’t ever hear anything. Does anyone know how I can check to make sure my antennae is grounded? Could it be the end that plugs into the CB?
wookiedave is offline   Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:21 AM   #29
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiedave View Post
Speaking of CB’s... I am having trouble getting mine to work. It’s on and everything seems to be installed correctly but I get nothing but static. I live super close to the interstate and there are big rigs all around and I don’t ever hear anything. Does anyone know how I can check to make sure my antenna is grounded? Could it be the end that plugs into the CB?
If you have access to an SWR meter, that will tell what your Standing Wave Ratio is. SWR needs to be checked and set properly that will indicate if your antenna and coax is working properly. SWR really has nothing to do with the receive side though. With the little bit of info you have provided it's hard to advise you.

What brand of CB?
Brand of antenna and length?
What type of antenna mount?
Is the mic connected?
How is the excess coax stored?

I will give you a general guide to antenna installation. You want bare metal to bare metal connections, a braided ground strap from the battery to the tub, tight connections on the coax, the plastic washer goes in-between the stud and antenna on top of the mount.

This is great place to get info for install and troubleshooting https://www.rightchannelradios.com/b...earning-center

Many times truck drivers do not have their CB's on these days.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:34 PM   #30
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Spring Creek, NV
Posts: 3
CB Mount

I mounted my Cobra behind the front seat console using spray foam, plastic Dr. Pepper bottles, a small cutting board, spray foam, and a small external speaker.
I used a small bungee cord to help keep it upright and yet it is flexible enough that the console is easily opened. It's very much out of the way and works great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CB Mount.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	4173079  
cdtjk likes this.

NVRon is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC