Parts for Zombie Jeep.. 87 YJ - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
Parts for Zombie Jeep.. 87 YJ

I am looking for a list to hunt for what I can take out of Pull A Part as far as upgrade for trans/transfer case combo, rear axles/front axles with 8.8/44 or what ever good upgrade I can mount on my 87 Yj.


I Really just need a list of Trucks/Jeeps that I can pull from. No wranglers ever find their way into junk yards around here but cherokees and trucks all day long in KY.

Year Make Model and what do I look for when i find it to be sure that it is the right thing to pull.. Nothing sucks more than sitting in a junk yard pulling parts for 4 hours to find out you got the wrong part.

Thanks ~

Cody

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep dirty turtle.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	135640  
__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
denisbaldwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 3,313
For the rear, any 1996 to 2003 (maybe even 2005) Explorer should do it. Make sure you get the one with the right gearing if you don't plan on re-gearing the axle before putting it in. Are you going spring under or spring over?

__________________
Denis A. Baldwin
Clearwater, FL
1991 YJ 99 Vortec 5.7L, SM465, NP205, 14 Bolt Rear, Dana 60 Front, 5.13 Gears, Detroit Lockers, 395/85R20 46" Michelin XML tires on 20" XD Wheels, Cherokee Offset Springs (10" front to back stretch total), Bilstein 5150s, 1in. BL, custom cage, Warn M8000, Double D Dash/OHC, 4Low Front Stinger Bumper, DirtWorx Rear Bumper WTC, Tube Fenders, Comp Cut, 1 Ton HD Kingpin High Steering and PAID FOR.
denisbaldwin is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 1,207
Wow, you can get quite a list with that request.

Well, only thing I know is the AX15/NP231 from just about any year dodge dakota/jeep will bolt in. I just did that swap from a '95 Cherokee sport, and I only had to get a clutch disk and re-clock the transfer case. Oh... and a bit of manipulating to get the shifters to work the way I want. I had to bend the stick for the transmission forward some so it would clear the console, and fab the TC shifter mount to fit the new TC, with a bit of floor panel manipulation so it would clear.
__________________
Gotta stand by all you cool guys... Maybe it'll rub off?!
camarozz is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Thread Starter
  #4
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
Spring under axe.. She is already lifted and not looking for a monster truck.. Lol.
__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozz
Wow, you can get quite a list with that request.

Well, only thing I know is the AX15/NP231 from just about any year dodge dakota/jeep will bolt in. I just did that swap from a '95 Cherokee sport, and I only had to get a clutch disk and re-clock the transfer case. Oh... and a bit of manipulating to get the shifters to work the way I want. I had to bend the stick for the transmission forward some so it would clear the console, and fab the TC shifter mount to fit the new TC, with a bit of floor panel manipulation so it would clear.
Doesn't sound to bad but is it going to be a big deal that I have the internal set up of my slave on my existing clutch?
__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Doesn't sound to bad but is it going to be a big deal that I have the internal set up of my slave on my existing clutch?
Depends...

obviously you have to pull the tranny/TC to get a failing internal slave out; but I didnt have the money to upgrade to the external, although I have most of the parts. I even used the used internal slave.

I figure since I can have the tranny/tc out and back in within an hour its not a big deal for me. Although, I would prefer to have an external slave.
__________________
Gotta stand by all you cool guys... Maybe it'll rub off?!
camarozz is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Thread Starter
  #7
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozz

Depends...

obviously you have to pull the tranny/TC to get a failing internal slave out; but I didnt have the money to upgrade to the external, although I have most of the parts. I even used the used internal slave.

I figure since I can have the tranny/tc out and back in within an hour its not a big deal for me. Although, I would prefer to have an external slave.
I'm not to worried about switching to the external. Just want a easy bolt up upgrade
__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Thread Starter
  #8
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
How will I know its the right trans
__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ring side seats to the the country's largest circus
Posts: 28,214
Send a message via AIM to schnutzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisbaldwin View Post
For the rear, any 1996 to 2003 (maybe even 2005) Explorer should do it. Make sure you get the one with the right gearing if you don't plan on re-gearing the axle before putting it in. Are you going spring under or spring over?
last year would be 2001. 02 was the start of the IRS. dont see that working to well in a wrangler. the exception being the explore sport track(think explore/ranger hybrid)
__________________
clinging on to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
schnutzy is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
How will I know its the right trans
I got familiar with the differences between the BA10, the AX5, and the AX15. The AX5, and the AX15 look very similar but I believe the spacer section is different; I believe the AX5 is a cast iron piece, and the AX15 is a cast aluminum piece. Generally anything with a 6cly should be an AX15, 4cyl should be an AX5. But knowing how to determine which is which will keep you from accidentally getting the wrong one if someone swapped them.

Ask how I know.

Anyway, the AX15 was used in many jeeps (6cyl), and Dodge Dakotas with the 6, so that is a start.
__________________
Gotta stand by all you cool guys... Maybe it'll rub off?!
camarozz is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Nickabis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pdx, Ore.
Posts: 339
Assuming you're still running your Dana 30, how about axle shafts from a newer cherokee. It eliminates the vacuum lock and gives you a one piece shaft instead of a two piece, plus bigger u-joints. No need to worry about pieces of zombies catching the vac lines and knocking it out of 4wd while running them down.

You want to be comfortable while doing it and I've read people swapping Pontiac Sunfire seats in for their worn out front seats.

If I think of more, I'll post!
Nickabis is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Thread Starter
  #12
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickabis
Assuming you're still running your Dana 30, how about axle shafts from a newer cherokee. It eliminates the vacuum lock and gives you a one piece shaft instead of a two piece, plus bigger u-joints. No need to worry about pieces of zombies catching the vac lines and knocking it out of 4wd while running them down.

You want to be comfortable while doing it and I've read people swapping Pontiac Sunfire seats in for their worn out front seats.

If I think of more, I'll post!
Newer Cherokee (what year and grand or xj) and I'm good with my seats.

I scored a master craft suspension seat out of a parts Jeep I had.

Just mainly want to upgrade my diffs and axles/drive train. But always open to any upgrades.
__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Thread Starter
  #13
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozz

I got familiar with the differences between the BA10, the AX5, and the AX15. The AX5, and the AX15 look very similar but I believe the spacer section is different; I believe the AX5 is a cast iron piece, and the AX15 is a cast aluminum piece. Generally anything with a 6cly should be an AX15, 4cyl should be an AX5. But knowing how to determine which is which will keep you from accidentally getting the wrong one if someone swapped them.

Ask how I know.

Anyway, the AX15 was used in many jeeps (6cyl), and Dodge Dakotas with the 6, so that is a start.
Good looking. I really want to put in a stronger drive train before I blow something out on the trail
__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
Nickabis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pdx, Ore.
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass

Newer Cherokee (what year and grand or xj) and I'm good with my seats.

I scored a master craft suspension seat out of a parts Jeep I had.

Just mainly want to upgrade my diffs and axles/drive train. But always open to any upgrades.
I used shafts from a tj, but xj came with one piece shafts as well, but I don't know what years the different size u-joints came in. Maybe 95 or 96 and newer. I don't know what size tires you're running but the one piece shafts well help the strength of the Dana 30 a bit.

I kept my Dana 30 because I wanted to keep my stock bolt pattern with my 8.8, and didn't want to through a bunch of money at once. I'm slowly building, I have the one piece shafts, Spartan locker, rock crusher diff cover, and the warn hub conversion. I've been lucky on finding everything at a great price for being used.
Nickabis is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
Good looking. I really want to put in a stronger drive train before I blow something out on the trail
Thanks, I really like the older YJ's, Ive always liked the Cj's and fell in love with that first YJ model year.

This one came to me dirt cheap, $2k like it sits in the picture; but without reverse. The story was they killed it trying to pull out a deer from a ravine. But with the BA10 and those 3.07 gears with 33" tires its no wonder. Since there was no plan to ever do any hard wheeling I thought I could get away with rebuilding it with new reverse. But within three months in December my daughters foot slipped off the clutch and puked out the reverse gears out the side of the case. Dropped over $300 for that repair that I should never have done...

I started checking for other trannies, picked up an AX5 that was listed as a BA10 so that was a wash... at least I was able to sell it for what I paid. Took that money and bought a used AX15/np231 TC from a '93(?) Cherokee complete clutch to TC for $200 and its been a great trans. I now can just look at the trans from a distance and tell if it is one of the three. Had to look at quite a number of them to find that one that I could get. Seems around here those AX15's are very popular and people want $400+ just for the trans, no bell ect.

Oh, getting the external slave is not too bad, its just the right bell housing which should be plentiful, and the master/slave set up and you are basically done. It all bolts right in.
__________________
Gotta stand by all you cool guys... Maybe it'll rub off?!
camarozz is offline   Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickabis View Post
I used shafts from a tj, but xj came with one piece shafts as well, but I don't know what years the different size u-joints came in. Maybe 95 or 96 and newer. I don't know what size tires you're running but the one piece shafts well help the strength of the Dana 30 a bit.

I kept my Dana 30 because I wanted to keep my stock bolt pattern with my 8.8, and didn't want to through a bunch of money at once. I'm slowly building, I have the one piece shafts, Spartan locker, rock crusher diff cover, and the warn hub conversion. I've been lucky on finding everything at a great price for being used.
I just swapped my d35 for a 95' 4.10 d35, and I believe that is the cross over year. The yokes were completely different, but I asked here and someone shot me a U-joint part number that had the newer on one side and the older side to fit my driveline. Apparently this has been done before.

I will see if I can find that part number if you like.
__________________
Gotta stand by all you cool guys... Maybe it'll rub off?!
camarozz is offline   Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 AM
Thread Starter
  #17
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozz View Post
I just swapped my d35 for a 95' 4.10 d35, and I believe that is the cross over year. The yokes were completely different, but I asked here and someone shot me a U-joint part number that had the newer on one side and the older side to fit my driveline. Apparently this has been done before.

I will see if I can find that part number if you like.
what your saying is that you went from one dana 35 to another one that was just geared differently ?

I am looking to go a bit more beefy. Something like a 8.8 so i can run 33's and push a bit more power to the wheel.
__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:12 AM
Thread Starter
  #18
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
last year would be 2001. 02 was the start of the IRS. dont see that working to well in a wrangler. the exception being the explore sport track(think explore/ranger hybrid)
sweet found three that fit that at my pull a part got to see what i can get them for ...
__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:17 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
what your saying is that you went from one dana 35 to another one that was just geared differently ?

I am looking to go a bit more beefy. Something like a 8.8 so i can run 33's and push a bit more power to the wheel.
Yeah, at this time money is tight, and the daughter gets the jeep. She will need it at college so I had to do something fairly quickly to get it road worthy enough to drive. I dont want her stranded too often. It was just another $300 for everything (new brakes/ujoint and axles) It was that or $600 for a gear sets and kits to rebuild the ones already under it.

Since she or I will not be wheeling it, and worse case be running the back roads or logging roads, chances are there wont be a need for real strong axles. But if I get the chance later I may go beefier. So far I like the feel of the 4.10s and 33" tires, much more drivable than the 3.07s.
__________________
Gotta stand by all you cool guys... Maybe it'll rub off?!
camarozz is offline   Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Thread Starter
  #20
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarozz

Yeah, at this time money is tight, and the daughter gets the jeep. She will need it at college so I had to do something fairly quickly to get it road worthy enough to drive. I dont want her stranded too often. It was just another $300 for everything (new brakes/ujoint and axles) It was that or $600 for a gear sets and kits to rebuild the ones already under it.

Since she or I will not be wheeling it, and worse case be running the back roads or logging roads, chances are there wont be a need for real strong axles. But if I get the chance later I may go beefier. So far I like the feel of the 4.10s and 33" tires, much more drivable than the 3.07s.
I have heard that the 410”s are nice and help allot.. Sounds like you got a killer deal.

Just going to beat up the junk yard a bit to get my big rear end. Maybe something to put up front. I put a posI lock on her front because the lock would not engage so I'm happy with my 30 for now.

This is my dd so I'm not trying to go crazy with her
__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:43 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Central Washington
Posts: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
I have heard that the 410”s are nice and help allot.. Sounds like you got a killer deal.

Just going to beat up the junk yard a bit to get my big rear end. Maybe something to put up front. I put a posI lock on her front because the lock would not engage so I'm happy with my 30 for now.

This is my dd so I'm not trying to go crazy with her
Yeah, its a lot of fun personalizing them to fit your needs.
__________________
Gotta stand by all you cool guys... Maybe it'll rub off?!
camarozz is offline   Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Thread Starter
  #22
Jeeper
 
Bluegrass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 409
built not bought kinda person.

__________________
The Jeeps Shall Inherit The Earth..
Bluegrass is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.