Question about rear lunchbox lockers - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Gottagofast
  • 1 Post By vmxwinn
  • 1 Post By 12b
  • 1 Post By Gottagofast
  • 1 Post By 12b
Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-24-2019, 03:03 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 5
Question about rear lunchbox lockers

Hello. I've just bought a 4.0 manual wrangler and it's completely stock except for 31" tires and a rear lunchbox locker. I noticed that when I'm driving on trails and I step on it a little bit in 1st or 2nd gear the rear tires will break loose a bit. It's a lot of fun however I feel like I want to get rid of the locker because I hate the clicking noise it makes and it makes me not want to press the gas pedal when turning.

My question is if I do get rid of it, will the jeep still behave the same in a straight line on the trails? will the rear tires still break loose when I step on it? because from what I know in an open differential the power is sent to the wheel with the least traction so I'm not sure.

borab is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
double post

__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #3
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
If you have a Dana 35 in your heap you don't want a lunchbox locker in there. The 27 spline axles are not up to job.

You could upgrade to a Detroit or any selectable locker that accepts 30 spline shafts and a set of 30 spline 1541H shafts or put a set of stock spider gears in there.

You're right never power through a turn on hard pavement with a full locker, coast in turns.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
agalloch07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 3,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by borab View Post
Hello. I've just bought a 4.0 manual wrangler and it's completely stock except for 31" tires and a rear lunchbox locker. I noticed that when I'm driving on trails and I step on it a little bit in 1st or 2nd gear the rear tires will break loose a bit. It's a lot of fun however I feel like I want to get rid of the locker because I hate the clicking noise it makes and it makes me not want to press the gas pedal when turning.

My question is if I do get rid of it, will the jeep still behave the same in a straight line on the trails? will the rear tires still break loose when I step on it? because from what I know in an open differential the power is sent to the wheel with the least traction so I'm not sure.



If you cant live with the popping and clicking you can put spider gears back in and go back to one wheel peel. If you like the traction it provides run thick gear oil and dont floor it around corners, try to coast around them or use very light throttle.
__________________
94, 4.0/NV4500/NP231HD w/JB Conversions super short SYE, 4.5" Rubicon Express lift, JKS 1.25" body lift, Dana 489's w/OX lockers 4.88 gears, Tom Woods drveshafts, 35" BFG KM3's, WFO boomerang shackles, Warn XD9000 winch, Doug Thorley header, JBA mid pipe, Borla cat back.
agalloch07 is offline   Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:55 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Gottagofast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 7,442
Best compromise of both worlds would be a tru trac
vmxwinn likes this.
__________________
I come in peace.... I mean you no harm
Currently in the stable: .....97 tj 2.5 5 speed stock... 97 tj 4.0 5 speed stock....04 tj 4.0 auto 4" and 33's... 98 tj roller for future build... 94 yj sahara 4.5" RE and 33's... 92 yj sbc 3/4 ton axles and 38's... Cj5,7,yj,xj,ex mud dragster project

TJ dash speakers that actually rock! Kicker sub and amp in center console
Gottagofast is online now   Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:17 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
vmxwinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Danville CA
Posts: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
Best compromise of both worlds would be a tru trac
That’s what I did. Now saving up for a selectable locker up front. Either an Eaton E-Locker or Ox locker. Don’t want to deal with compressed air or onboard compressor.
Gottagofast likes this.
__________________
94 YJ 4.0L 5spd - Ford 8.8 - Detroit Truetrac - 4:10’s, 33”s - SYE - NP 231 w/272:1 - RE Extreme 4.5” - RC N2.0 shocks for now - Smitty Built XRC bumpers Front & Rear - XRC Winch - Hella H4 E Codes - 136amp Alternator - Ford Marquis MC
vmxwinn is online now   Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:47 PM   #7
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
You might consider a set of 27 spline 1541H axle shafts to go with that LSD just for peace of mind with a little added strength.
Gottagofast likes this.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:17 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 3,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by borab View Post
I noticed that when I'm driving on trails and I step on it a little bit in 1st or 2nd gear the rear tires will break loose a bit.
With the rear locker, both tires are getting power under throttle. If they are both breaking loose, you will probably be going no where with an open diff in the same situation. There are certainly trade offs to having a mechanical locker. They can be a little noisy and they cause tire wear if you run them on the street, but they provide traction. That is what they are for. If you want the traction that you have to get places off road you can either live with what you have, upgrade to a selectable locker, or go with a limited slip. Going back to an open diff would certainly limit your off road abilities... a lot.
__________________
87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT
DaddyJeep build Thread:https://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dad...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is offline   Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
With the rear locker, both tires are getting power under throttle. If they are both breaking loose, you will probably be going no where with an open diff in the same situation. There are certainly trade offs to having a mechanical locker. They can be a little noisy and they cause tire wear if you run them on the street, but they provide traction. That is what they are for. If you want the traction that you have to get places off road you can either live with what you have, upgrade to a selectable locker, or go with a limited slip. Going back to an open diff would certainly limit your off road abilities... a lot.
No, the OP can't live with what he has, it's a lunchbox in a D35 which is one of the biggest No-No's there is. An open diff or an LSD, either with 1541H 27 spline shafts or build a S35 with 30 spline 1541H shafts. It seems that the OP likes to spin tires by his own admission and a stock D35 with a lunchbox will end up leaving him stranded.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
IITYWTMWYBMAB

::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 12,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by borab View Post
Hello. I've just bought a 4.0 manual wrangler and it's completely stock except for 31" tires and a rear lunchbox locker. I noticed that when I'm driving on trails and I step on it a little bit in 1st or 2nd gear the rear tires will break loose a bit. It's a lot of fun however I feel like I want to get rid of the locker because I hate the clicking noise it makes and it makes me not want to press the gas pedal when turning.

My question is if I do get rid of it, will the jeep still behave the same in a straight line on the trails? will the rear tires still break loose when I step on it? because from what I know in an open differential the power is sent to the wheel with the least traction so I'm not sure.
OP, do you know if what rear axle you have? Does it have a rubber round fill plug? as noted if it is the Dana 35, and has not be upgraded.. you have a high chance that locker under the right conditions, will bust an axle shaft.

The least expensive route to take, after you confirm what rear axle you have, would be to look for a use dana 35 with the same gears and swap that in.. crack the cover to make sure its a open diff. problem solved.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94.15
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ. JK


JKU Build Inside: Party Girl
WranglerForum: Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHO...TLdAuMbTLs_bxw

JKUR 2" Rancho Sport - BlackForest Throwback Top - Milestar 315 Patagona Mt's - Outlaw Sheriff Rims - Bushwacker Flat Fenders -
Spicer Parts F/R Diff Covers, Front Drive Shaft - 4340 Alloy Shafts- Metal Cloak Overland Rock w/Flip Step -JCR Transmission Skid- Quadratec LED Headlights- Q9500i winch
4Jeepn is offline   Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:32 PM   #11
Moderator

WF Lifetime Member
WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
Luckymac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SouthEast of Denver
Posts: 8,553
Just a thought. Could OP switch the rear lunchbox with the front spiders? Then, with the lunchbox up front, he'd have the traction off road that he might need and the road manners he's wanting in the rear. With the Jeep in 2wd, the lunchbox up front would disappear until the Jeep was in 4wd.
Plus, he'd get to change both the differential fluids and be able to check for any possible wear or problems. The only costs he'd incur is some differential fluid and a tube of RTV.
I just don't know if the D35 spiders are the same as the D30 spiders. If they are, the lunchbox should swap easily. OP might go to the Aussie website to see if the front and rear lockers are the same.

Good Luck, L.M.
__________________
"Wrangler....It's not just a vehicle, It's a lifestyle".
.................................................. ........................
1987 YJ-4.2L-Standard Shift- Re-manufactured Carter Carb-2" body Lift-31X10.5X15 BFG KOs-190K Miles No back seat.
HEI distributor with computer and all related relays and wiring removed.
12K Badlands winch with dual batteries.
Warn front bumper. Matching imitation Warn bumper on the rear.
Luckymac is offline   Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #12
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymac View Post
Just a thought. Could OP switch the rear lunchbox with the front spiders? Then, with the lunchbox up front, he'd have the traction off road that he might need and the road manners he's wanting in the rear. With the Jeep in 2wd, the lunchbox up front would disappear until the Jeep was in 4wd.
Plus, he'd get to change both the differential fluids and be able to check for any possible wear or problems. The only costs he'd incur is some differential fluid and a tube of RTV.
I just don't know if the D35 spiders are the same as the D30 spiders. If they are, the lunchbox should swap easily. OP might go to the Aussie website to see if the front and rear lockers are the same.

Good Luck, L.M.
Good idea but it won't work D30 and D35 are not the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn View Post
OP, do you know if what rear axle you have? Does it have a rubber round fill plug? as noted if it is the Dana 35, and has not be upgraded.. you have a high chance that locker under the right conditions, will bust an axle shaft.

The least expensive route to take, after you confirm what rear axle you have, would be to look for a use dana 35 with the same gears and swap that in.. crack the cover to make sure its a open diff. problem solved.
Unless you get a heck of a deal on a used D35. It would cost more to swap a used axle in than a set of spiders. If you got bad spiders in the junk yard axle which is a good possibility then it would be even more costly. Junk yard D35's go for around $400 where I live, someones take out would be cheaper, maybe.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:09 AM   #13
IITYWTMWYBMAB

::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 12,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12b View Post
Good idea but it won't work D30 and D35 are not the same



Unless you get a heck of a deal on a used D35. It would cost more to swap a used axle in than a set of spiders. If you got bad spiders in the junk yard axle which is a good possibility then it would be even more costly. Junk yard D35's go for around $400 where I live, someones take out would be cheaper, maybe.
$400 geez that is nutz for a dana 35. picked up a ford 8.8 here for $120 w/4.11..from a pull yard. So dana 35's are in priced in line with that... but as noted location and supply will drive cost.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94.15
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ. JK


JKU Build Inside: Party Girl
WranglerForum: Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHO...TLdAuMbTLs_bxw

JKUR 2" Rancho Sport - BlackForest Throwback Top - Milestar 315 Patagona Mt's - Outlaw Sheriff Rims - Bushwacker Flat Fenders -
Spicer Parts F/R Diff Covers, Front Drive Shaft - 4340 Alloy Shafts- Metal Cloak Overland Rock w/Flip Step -JCR Transmission Skid- Quadratec LED Headlights- Q9500i winch
4Jeepn is offline   Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:38 AM   #14
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeepn View Post
$400 geez that is nutz for a dana 35. picked up a ford 8.8 here for $120 w/4.11..from a pull yard. So dana 35's are priced in line with that... but as noted location and supply will drive cost.
Glad your happy with that 8.8, by the time you add the mounts, do the conversion you have more into an axle that most builders wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, could be why they are so cheap. I know they are popular on these forums, doesn't make them a great for everyone though.

Some folks are just fine with a bolt in axle housing even a D35. I would rather build a Super 35 than do an 8.8.
__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:31 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Gottagofast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 7,442
Fwiw I beat a 35 pretty hard for a few years w a lockright and stock shafts on 31" swampers and never broke it....

Video proof of my wheeling style....
No this vid wasn't hard on the axle... just showing that I did more than idle around....

Dunk likes this.
__________________
I come in peace.... I mean you no harm
Currently in the stable: .....97 tj 2.5 5 speed stock... 97 tj 4.0 5 speed stock....04 tj 4.0 auto 4" and 33's... 98 tj roller for future build... 94 yj sahara 4.5" RE and 33's... 92 yj sbc 3/4 ton axles and 38's... Cj5,7,yj,xj,ex mud dragster project

TJ dash speakers that actually rock! Kicker sub and amp in center console
Gottagofast is online now   Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 09:33 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Gottagofast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 7,442
Ps, yes the front shock broke....
__________________
I come in peace.... I mean you no harm
Currently in the stable: .....97 tj 2.5 5 speed stock... 97 tj 4.0 5 speed stock....04 tj 4.0 auto 4" and 33's... 98 tj roller for future build... 94 yj sahara 4.5" RE and 33's... 92 yj sbc 3/4 ton axles and 38's... Cj5,7,yj,xj,ex mud dragster project

TJ dash speakers that actually rock! Kicker sub and amp in center console
Gottagofast is online now   Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #17
IITYWTMWYBMAB

::WF Administrator::
 
4Jeepn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Florence, KY
Posts: 12,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12b View Post
Glad your happy with that 8.8, by the time you add the mounts, do the conversion you have more into an axle that most builders wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, could be why they are so cheap. I know they are popular on these forums, doesn't make them a great for everyone though.

Some folks are just fine with a bolt in axle housing even a D35. I would rather build a Super 35 than do an 8.8.
I agree 8.8 is not for everyone, but when you price out a dana 44 starting at 1k used.. that still needs still a gear change, locker, spring pads or even a decent upgrade to the super 35(clone at this point) that not cheap either, and at the end of day you still have a dana 35. Thus for many of us the 8.8 makes sense as there are no exact bolt in housing outside another dana 35, so anything is going to need work. Certainly far less expense than my ProRock 60 Build.
__________________
79.96.85.00.01.97.00.97.93.97.95.94.15
CJ.XJ.CJ. TJ. TJ.ZJ. TJ.TJ. ZJ.ZJ.YJ. XJ. JK


JKU Build Inside: Party Girl
WranglerForum: Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHO...TLdAuMbTLs_bxw

JKUR 2" Rancho Sport - BlackForest Throwback Top - Milestar 315 Patagona Mt's - Outlaw Sheriff Rims - Bushwacker Flat Fenders -
Spicer Parts F/R Diff Covers, Front Drive Shaft - 4340 Alloy Shafts- Metal Cloak Overland Rock w/Flip Step -JCR Transmission Skid- Quadratec LED Headlights- Q9500i winch
4Jeepn is offline   Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:07 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
daddyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Smethport, PA
Posts: 3,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12b View Post
Glad your happy with that 8.8, by the time you add the mounts, do the conversion you have more into an axle that most builders wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, could be why they are so cheap. I know they are popular on these forums, doesn't make them a great for everyone though.

Some folks are just fine with a bolt in axle housing even a D35. I would rather build a Super 35 than do an 8.8.
To put an 8.8 in a YJ, you really don't need to spend a ton of money... no where near the cost of a super 35 kit... $1200 You still have a Dana 35 with a weak housing and drum brakes.

Spring mounts... $40

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com...f-spring-perch

Shock Mounts... $25

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com...-shock-bracket

Maybe a couple miscellenous pieces of brake line... $10
__________________
87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241, Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT
DaddyJeep build Thread:https://www.wranglerforum.com/f8/dad...ld-122601.html
daddyjeep is offline   Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:24 AM   #19
12b
Jeeper
 
12b's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
To put an 8.8 in a YJ, you really don't need to spend a ton of money... no where near the cost of a super 35 kit... $1200 You still have a Dana 35 with a weak housing and drum brakes.

Spring mounts... $40

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com...f-spring-perch

Shock Mounts... $25

https://www.ballisticfabrication.com...-shock-bracket
Maybe a couple miscellenous pieces of brake line... $10

By the time you build an 8.8 with a locker or a TruTrac, it would be more expensive to do an 8.8 compared to an S35 especially if the owner can't do his own fab work and set up drive line angles.

If I were to do the work to swap in an 8.8, it would be a 9" instead.

In all honesty my S35 has been performing beautifully in the conditions I wheel in. And can take a heck of a beating with up to 35" tires.

But, to each his own... It's more about how you want/need your Jeep built for what it needs to do, somethings are overkill, somethings have to be done. I don't build for bragging rights, I build for function.
daddyjeep likes this.

__________________

'98 TJ 5 speed, 5.13 Super 35, D30 w/Aussie, Core 4x4 arms, Metalcloak front track bar, JKS rear track bar, ZJ tie rod conversion, 9500 Lb winch 4" lift sitting on 33's along with many others mods
'94 YJ 5sp 4.10, Super 35, HP30 w/Aussie, sitting on 33's, RE chromo drag link, 9500 Lb winch, 4" lift, 4x4 Posi Lock, it's a resto-mod in progress.
12b is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC