regearing - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-26-2015, 12:54 AM
Thread Starter
  #1
Jeeper
 
steves92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,887
regearing

I'm a rookie when it comes to gears and tire sizes. I have 3.07 gear ratio with 33's on a 4" lift...my jeep is mainly a daily driver with some freeway driving. Should I regear and if so to what? 5th gear slows me down and would like to be able to keep up with traffic,lol. I do plan on using it for some wheeling and crawling at some point. Is my engine being overworked? I'm not a leadfoot and don't race it like a sports car but wonder if I'm able to give my engine a break by rehearing?

__________________
Why did I wait so long to buy my first jeep??
'92 YJ 4.0 5spd....mostly 4
steves92 is online now   Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:59 AM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by steves92 View Post
I'm a rookie when it comes to gears and tire sizes. I have 3.07 gear ratio with 33's on a 4" lift...my jeep is mainly a daily driver with some freeway driving. Should I regear and if so to what? 5th gear slows me down and would like to be able to keep up with traffic,lol. I do plan on using it for some wheeling and crawling at some point. Is my engine being overworked? I'm not a leadfoot and don't race it like a sports car but wonder if I'm able to give my engine a break by rehearing?
Your undergeared. To have stock powerband back you'll want these gears. For these tire size. 33's= 4:10 35's = 4:56

__________________
1989 YJ : Lifted/ Armored Tom95YJ's The Smurf Build Thread
1999 XJ : Lifted/Locked/Armored
Tom95YJ is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:14 AM
Thread Starter
  #3
Jeeper
 
steves92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post

Your undergeared. To have stock powerband back you'll want these gears. For these tire size. 33's= 4:10 35's = 4:56
Thanks...ha-ha. I've read a few posts regarding this since I posted. Next question...how hard is to do? I'm mechanically inclined. How many hours for amateur? I did the lift myself...is it more technical? Should I have a shop do it?
__________________
Why did I wait so long to buy my first jeep??
'92 YJ 4.0 5spd....mostly 4
steves92 is online now   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2015, 01:18 AM   #4
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Tom95YJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 2,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by steves92 View Post
Thanks...ha-ha. I've read a few posts regarding this since I posted. Next question...how hard is to do? I'm mechanically inclined. How many hours for amateur? I did the lift myself...is it more technical? Should I have a shop do it?
You'll. need gear setup tools it can be done in a day. I have friends who know how to do it it's not hard but tedious having to tear down Check depth pull it apart add or remove shims ect .....if you want to do it on the cheap but some axles from a 4banger with manual they have 4.10's
__________________
1989 YJ : Lifted/ Armored Tom95YJ's The Smurf Build Thread
1999 XJ : Lifted/Locked/Armored
Tom95YJ is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:38 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
Tophog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Between Death Valley and Sin City!
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Your undergeared. To have stock powerband back you'll want these gears. For these tire size. 33's= 4:10 35's = 4:56
I have a somewhat similar dilemma with my '90.

4.2, auto, 33's and 3.07 gears! What a dog!

I need to decide whether to regear, retire or both. Unfortunately, it's not fast enough to use it for a bank robbery getaway vehicle to fund these mods!
__________________
'90 YJ, 4.2, auto
'93 YJ, 4.0, auto

Moderator - nevadashooters

Custom painters don't screw up . . . they just add more graphics!
Tophog is offline   Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:02 AM
Thread Starter
  #6
Jeeper
 
steves92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: California
Posts: 1,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophog View Post

I have a somewhat similar dilemma with my '90.

4.2, auto, 33's and 3.07 gears! What a dog!

I need to decide whether to regear, retire or both. Unfortunately, it's not fast enough to use it for a bank robbery getaway vehicle to fund these mods!
Part of me wishes I could start over with the bone stock, untainted jeep I had, part of me wants a TJ...and part of me wants to deal with the minor problems and get it right?!

__________________
Why did I wait so long to buy my first jeep??
'92 YJ 4.0 5spd....mostly 4
steves92 is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeepģ, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.