Soft top opinions needed please - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ General Discussion Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Thread Starter
  #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2
Soft top opinions needed please

I really like the flip top idea but a lot of people are saying the fabric isn't worth it. I would like opinions of every ones favorites and opinions are needed. best brands? I really like the frame less too but I have the sport bar. doing lots of upgrades to my jeep but I know it is a never ending battle there is always something.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150302_071323 (1).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	2073009  
jbug29 is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Dral97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 786
I'm probably in the minority here, but I really like sunriders. It takes a few seconds to flip the front part back on a fall day, and just a few to flip it closed again. Perfect for short trips.

Dral97 is offline   Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 10:26 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Amberroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 100
Advice I received here recently; frameless quality is subpar based on user comments. Best Top seems to be the standard of quality, I hope that's correct... We just bought/installed a supertop and time will tell. I don't remember what the deal breaker was with the sun topper, but was advised that wasn't ideal. Good luck, it's a tough decision.
Amberroot is offline   Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-07-2015, 11:24 PM   #4
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
CyndiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 1,536
If you don't already have a soft top frame, the SunRider might be a good option for you because it comes with a frame. You won't need the windshield channel for it, but you'll need the tub channels to anchor the sides.
CyndiB is offline   Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Thread Starter
  #5
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2
From what I was looking at is I can not purchase the sunrider with my year jeep.
jbug29 is offline   Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
roadyrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: west palm fla
Posts: 1,272
__________________
1987, 4,2, rebuilt, head casting cleaned up, port matched and milled-9.5 compression, hotter cam holley 4 bbl
roadyrob is offline   Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Twojump36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
That'll be my next top....
__________________
2.5'' Rough Country, ARB Air Locked, 31'' BFG AT's
Twojump36 is offline   Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
amerijeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mississippi.
Posts: 4,057
I don't know if the overall quality in tops has gone down or what. I ran a Pavement Ends Flip Top for a decade on my YJ and I was very happy with it. Only the last couple years did it start getting ragged and partially because I didn't take care of it very well. It leaned up under a tree most summers. The windows were thick and the zippers never failed.

Two months ago I got a Bestop Supertop Classic. It's already frayed at the windshield and the windows are much thinner. It's a noisier top too. The framework might be slightly better though and it lays back without removing it entirely from the Jeep. It is a little quicker to take down and put up too, but the build quality just doesn't seem on par with the Pavement Ends I had.

I considered the frameless tops but I saw a couple in person and didn't like them. Also, the Sunrider was a choice but I never used the Flip Top feature even once so I ruled it out.

If I could wind the calendar back two months I would have gotten another Pavement Ends. I know Bestop is supposed to be the name in tops, but it is not as durable as I am used to.
__________________
To all who serve, Thank You.
amerijeep is offline   Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Amberroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerijeep View Post
I don't know if the overall quality in tops has gone down or what. I ran a Pavement Ends Flip Top for a decade on my YJ and I was very happy with it. Only the last couple years did it start getting ragged and partially because I didn't take care of it very well. It leaned up under a tree most summers. The windows were thick and the zippers never failed. Two months ago I got a Bestop Supertop Classic. It's already frayed at the windshield and the windows are much thinner. It's a noisier top too. The framework might be slightly better though and it lays back without removing it entirely from the Jeep. It is a little quicker to take down and put up too, but the build quality just doesn't seem on par with the Pavement Ends I had. I considered the frameless tops but I saw a couple in person and didn't like them. Also, the Sunrider was a choice but I never used the Flip Top feature even once so I ruled it out. If I could wind the calendar back two months I would have gotten another Pavement Ends. I know Bestop is supposed to be the name in tops, but it is not as durable as I am used to.
That's a concerning report since I just bought and installed a super top also. I hope it holds up for you.
Amberroot is offline   Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:05 AM   #10
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
CyndiB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 1,536
Bestop makes Pavement Ends. But they're all made in China now.
CyndiB is offline   Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
amerijeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mississippi.
Posts: 4,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberroot View Post
That's a concerning report since I just bought and installed a super top also. I hope it holds up for you.
One thing I did to help myself out is I trimmed and rounded ever so slightly the windshield header bar. It seems to be helping. If it gets any worse I'm contacting Bestop. It is happening eight at each corner edge at the windshield right at the rolled over seam.

I knew that Bestop and Pavement Ends are the same company now. I'm not certain that there is any significant difference in the tops besides price. Pavement Ends doesn't have a Supertop equivalent. I would venture to say that the Flip Top and Sunrider are very similar in function. I can't swear to that.
__________________
To all who serve, Thank You.
amerijeep is offline   Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Amberroot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerijeep View Post
One thing I did to help myself out is I trimmed and rounded ever so slightly the windshield header bar. It seems to be helping. If it gets any worse I'm contacting Bestop. It is happening eight at each corner edge at the windshield right at the rolled over seam. I knew that Bestop and Pavement Ends are the same company now. I'm not certain that there is any significant difference in the tops besides price. Pavement Ends doesn't have a Supertop equivalent. I would venture to say that the Flip Top and Sunrider are very similar in function. I can't swear to that.
Do you have any photos of the problem, might help us out if the same happens with ours.

Amberroot is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, Gladiator, Mopar and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to FCA US LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with FCA US LLC.